There is an option to turn off location services to save battery. This setting is checked by default! I'm Sure this is great for extending battery life, but...

Be aware that if location services are disabled BlackBerry Protect will NOT Be able to locate your phone if lost/stolen!

I think BlackBerry should somehow allow BlackBerry Protect to turn location services on even if the phone is in battery saving mode!

If you go out drinking and forget your phone, chances are by the time you sober up and notice, your phone will be under 20% battery!

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 06:50 PM
    I'm glad you said something as that never occurred to me. I immediately went and unchecked that check box because I would rather have my phone drain a little faster and still be able to find it.

Thank you!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 07:13 PM
    I turned off BSM completely, though it still kicks in at 0%. I'll regularly use my phone to dead and swap batteries, and also noticed once BSM invokes, it can't be unvoked (yeah, I know it's not a word ), till the phone is charged above the BSM setting. So if you're in the wilderness, and happily saving battery for an emergency, good luck figuring out where back is.
    11-07-14 07:56 PM
    I turned off BSM completely, though it still kicks in at 0%. I'll regularly use my phone to dead and swap batteries, and also noticed once BSM invokes, it can't be unvoked (yeah, I know it's not a word ), till the phone is charged above the BSM setting. So if you're in the wilderness, and happily saving battery for an emergency, good luck figuring out where back is.
    You can't go into your settings and turn BSM off? I just did 10 seconds ago.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1016
    11-07-14 08:00 PM
    I can still toggle it off from the quick settings once it automatically kicks in.

Also, it also disables data services. No point of having location services on if the command to locate the phone can't reach it. If protect is a concern, then just don't use battery saving.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-07-14 08:03 PM
    Odd, I couldn't turn it off. No matter, it's not coming on now.
    11-07-14 08:09 PM
    You can unchecked location services and data services and then battery saving mode will just dim the screen and lower processing power.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 08:14 PM
    I can still toggle it off from the quick settings once it automatically kicks in.

Also, it also disables data services. No point of having location services on if the command to locate the phone can't reach it. If protect is a concern, then just don't use battery saving.
    Hmm, but does it check data services by default? I didn't think it did. Maybe I unchecked it and don't remember.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 08:53 PM
    Also my main point is that blackberry protect should be able to override the options, even if it was to use some secret sms command or something.

I also had an idea for a self destruct Password. Basically if you were ever compelled to unlock your phone (maybe by the po-po) you give them the destruct password and BOOM! Security wipe first try!

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 08:58 PM
    agree with the idea that blackberry protect should override location setting. so if we need to locate the phone, it would automatically turn on the gps. the trade off is it will not show phone last location history.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 09:24 PM
    Also my main point is that blackberry protect should be able to override the options, even if it was to use some secret sms command or something.

I also had an idea for a self destruct Password. Basically if you were ever compelled to unlock your phone (maybe by the po-po) you give them the destruct password and BOOM! Security wipe first try!

Posted via CB10
    That would be extremely awesome.
    11-07-14 09:31 PM