08-10-13 08:56 PM
48 12
tools
    Are you for real? Android browser sucks compared to the native browser in BB10, and that's not even an opinion, it's a fact. Smells like troll in here...

Posted via CB10
    some people have different preferences a little respect pal
    08-05-13 11:46 AM
    I just had a thought. Is the com.rim.browser that shows up in ghost commander maybe an android compiled BB10 browser. Unlikely but it just popped into my head.

Edit: Hey the android battery monitor is there and seems to work... Just got the 4500mah battery so I can't tell if it REALLY works.
    Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 01:55 PM
    Do you have the link for the Android Browser please ?

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 02:09 PM
    Are you for real? Android browser sucks compared to the native browser in BB10, and that's not even an opinion, it's a fact. Smells like troll in here...

Posted via CB10
    Are you even following this thread?
    08-05-13 02:22 PM
    Do you have the link for the Android Browser please ?

Posted via CB10
    If at first you don't succeed...

There is no link or bar for this. Follow these instructions.

-open up BlackBerry World app
    -search for "ghost commander" and download it, it's free
    -open Ghost Commander app, it will probably default to the directory "/mnt/sdcard"
    -click on the 3 vertical dots on the bottom right corner, a menu will appear
    -click on "location" and choose "Home"
    -click "Applications"
    -long press on "Browser: com.android.browser" until a pop-up menu appears
    -choose: Launch "Browser"
    08-05-13 02:25 PM
    If you swipe down and choose settings, the browser is quite customizable. Under accessibility, you can things like text scaling and set the default zoom level when double tapped, invert the colour scheme as well. Under bandwidth management, you can choose to preload linked webpages in the background, and choose to only do it on wifi. Under Labs, you can choose full screen mode and a cool side swipe feature that looks like this...
    Found the Android 4.2.2 browser.-img_00001789.jpg
    08-05-13 03:28 PM
    Oh and to the guy who says the Android browser sucks... When doing an image search in Google and selecting the first image in the gallery, you are met with a low res version. You must select "view full sized imaged" to see it in full resolution which requires a tap. Then, you must tap the back button to go back to the slideshow view. Also, the slideshow view requires a tap to bring up a left or right arrow and the a tap to navigate, no ability to slide to the next pic. With the iOS and the Android browser, when viewing the first image in a google image search; 1. they are full res 2. they only require a swipe left or right to browse to the next image. I like the native browser but it can always be improved on and this is an area it lacks IMO.

BB browser
    Found the Android 4.2.2 browser.-img_00001791.jpg

Android browser sliding to the next full res pic
    Found the Android 4.2.2 browser.-img_00001792.jpg
    08-05-13 03:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm with you...come on people, the native BB10 browser is much better, why the hell should I use an android browser on a blackberry?!
    I have a nexus 7 with a custom rom and compared to the blackberry browser my Z10 is in every point better than the Android one.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 03:46 PM
    I'm with you...come on people, the native BB10 browser is much better, why the hell should I use an android browser on a blackberry?!
    I have a nexus 7 with a custom rom and compared to the blackberry browser my Z10 is in every point better than the Android one.

Posted via CB10

I don't think anyone in this thread said that the Android browser is better... but what if someone does? I think Mobile Chrome is better in one major business aspect, but that does not take away from the awesomeness of the BB10 browser.

I think the key is that it's another option. Clearly, the Android player adds in some functionality when used in conjunction with the emulator.
    08-05-13 03:52 PM
    I don't think anyone in this thread said that the Android browser is better... but what if someone does? I think Mobile Chrome is better in one major business aspect, but that does not take away from the awesomeness of the BB10 browser.

I think the key is that it's another option. Clearly, the Android player adds in some functionality when used in conjunction with the emulator.
    Sorry, I don't wanted to hurt somebody but I don't understand this android hype on a blackberry phone...one or two apps to side load I understand, I also side load but side loading system standard apps like browser isn't the way we should go, it is like cheating on a girl friend

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 04:53 PM
    If at first you don't succeed...

There is no link or bar for this. Follow these instructions.
    Thank you

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 04:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not in every point. The BB10 browser doesn't reflow zoomed text to a specified size. The Android browser does. This is a major point for some of us.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    08-05-13 06:10 PM
    Oh and to the guy who says the Android browser sucks... When doing an image search in Google and selecting the first image in the gallery, you are met with a low res version. You must select "view full sized imaged" to see it in full resolution which requires a tap. Then, you must tap the back button to go back to the slideshow view. Also, the slideshow view requires a tap to bring up a left or right arrow and the a tap to navigate, no ability to slide to the next pic. With the iOS and the Android browser, when viewing the first image in a google image search; 1. they are full res 2. they only require a swipe left or right to browse to the next image. I like the native browser but it can always be improved on and this is an area it lacks IMO.

In many cases these non-Google browser limitations are artificial ones made by Google to promote their own products and ecosystem.

Many websites today work crappy in the native BB10 browser ONLY because the website designers are too lazy or dumb to serve an appropriate stylesheet or version of their site to a BB10 device, either because they don't properly detect mobile devices using standard practices, or because they just target the site to the browsers they happen to think are important and don't give a leap what the site looks like on any other browser.

I have run into this on sites from ie Google and Microsoft, while using the Opera browser, for years. Oftentimes all you have to do is trick the site into thinking you're browsing with something else (by modifying the user-agent string that the browser sends to the web server) and POOF, everything works fine.

Case in point: Yelp. If you open Yelp using the native browser, it's almost unusable because they serve you a generic desktop version. If you use Shaosoft's Evolution Browser and set the user-agent to "iPhone", it works peachy, just like on an iPhone. Set it back to standard, they serve you the crappy desktop site again.

Not in every point. The BB10 browser doesn't reflow zoomed text to a specified size. The Android browser does. This is a major point for some of us.
    There you have a point, but for me I find the "reader mode" is typically even better than zooming with reflow. Depends on the site of course.
    08-08-13 07:08 AM
    There you have a point, but for me I find the "reader mode" is typically even better than zooming with reflow. Depends on the site of course.
    It's a matter of opinion, of course, but my biggest complaint against Reader Mode is that it doesn't work at all on many sites--such as BlackBerry support forum! On many blog sites, it displays only the lead article, but no comments. On some forum sites it displays only the first article in a thread, but no followups. I didn't have these problems with the stock Android browser, or with Dolphin or Opera or alternatives.

We had zoom with reflow in BBOS 7, and it worked well. I hope we can have it again in BB10, but I'm not holding my breath. This is one of my biggest complaints against BB10, since I read a lot of blogs and forums, and find the BB10 browser experience for this far from satisfying.
    08-08-13 09:59 AM
    Which phone is the 4500 mah battery for?
    08-09-13 09:39 AM
    Are there any other browsers for Blackberry 10 that will reflow zoomed text?
    08-09-13 09:41 AM
    Are there any other browsers for Blackberry 10 that will reflow zoomed text?
    Not yet. I'm hoping Opera Mini will eventually show up in BB World.
    08-09-13 09:47 AM
    Q10 SQN100-2 10.2.0.1047 via CB10
    08-09-13 10:00 AM
    Any ideas how to import Chrome desktop browser bookmarks into this Android browser or if it can be done easier than one by one?
    08-09-13 11:04 AM
    Which phone is the 4500 mah battery for?
    ZED

Cranky
    08-09-13 11:14 AM
    Not yet. I'm hoping Opera Mini will eventually show up in BB World.

Better yet, Opera Mobile. I'm not a big fan of the limitations of Opera Mini, unless I'm using some scrawny underpowered device like one of my legacy BlackBerries.

Neither am I a fan of letting Opera act as a "man-in-the-middle" that decrypts my SSL traffic. I would never use Opera Mini for encrypted websites when I used to use it on my BBOS device.
    Gerii likes this.
    08-10-13 06:49 PM
    It's a matter of opinion, of course, but my biggest complaint against Reader Mode is that it doesn't work at all on many sites--such as BlackBerry support forum! On many blog sites, it displays only the lead article, but no comments. On some forum sites it displays only the first article in a thread, but no followups. I didn't have these problems with the stock Android browser, or with Dolphin or Opera or alternatives.

We had zoom with reflow in BBOS 7, and it worked well. I hope we can have it again in BB10, but I'm not holding my breath. This is one of my biggest complaints against BB10, since I read a lot of blogs and forums, and find the BB10 browser experience for this far from satisfying.

I agree that the best scenario would be to have BOTH reader-mode and text reflow available. I'm just less unhappy about it with reader mode than if reader mode didn't exist, basically.
    08-10-13 06:51 PM
    i am trying to get the instagram keyboard to work on my z10 runing 10.2.0.1047 o/s if i download ghost commander do i also need to sideload apex launcher and google chrome Please advice thanks in advance
    Disclaimer: Use this appliation at your own risk. Be careful, you could do some serious harm if you don't know what you are doing.

-open up BlackBerry World app
    -search for "ghost commander" and download it, it's free
    -open Ghost Commander app, it will probably default to the directory "/mnt/sdcard"
    -click on the 3 vertical dots on the bottom right corner, a menu will appear
    -click on "location" and choose "Home"
    -click "Applications"
    -long press on "Browser: com.android.browser" until a pop-up menu appears
    -choose: Launch "Browser"

Check out my "Facepalm" channel: C0001F676
    08-10-13 08:56 PM
48 12