21 19.81%
  • Flat Ui

39 36.79%
03-25-14 11:20 PM
30 12
tools
    Poll for Gradient Based UI or Modern UI
    03-24-14 09:14 AM
    We need something different...that's more like the iphone and android. It will appeal to more people. Boost sales. New is exciting. Go for it!
    03-24-14 09:21 AM
    I'm glad gradients are getting the boot. They were great in 06, but nowadays they are tacky.
    wtrmlnjuc likes this.
    03-24-14 09:23 AM
    The thing is: a flat UI can still have gradients (I've done several icons in this manner and they look really nice). The big problem is when those gradients are overlayed with a metallic or plastic sheen which makes everything look cheap and disgusting.
    redsaph and wtrmlnjuc like this.
    03-24-14 09:28 AM
    True. But even then you have to be very careful with gradients
    The thing is: a flat UI can still have gradients (I've done several icons in this manner and they look really nice). The big problem is when those gradients are overlayed with a metallic or plastic sheen which makes everything look cheap and disgusting.
    03-24-14 09:30 AM
    True. But even then you have to be very careful with gradients
    Yeah, it has to be subtle. I find radial gradients to be more visually appealing than top to bottom ones.
    wtrmlnjuc likes this.
    03-24-14 09:37 AM
    I like the newer look to icons. Bring it on. Not sure why change is a bad thing?

Not changing is what got BlackBerry in the trouble it's in now.
    03-24-14 09:43 AM
    I prefer the flat UI. Can someone post a side by side comparison for those that have no idea what the difference is.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 09:57 AM

As you can see stubborn CrackBerrians, flat does not mean Microsoft Paint.

You're welcome to take your seats now.
    03-24-14 10:13 AM
    I always loved minimalist designs. Flat UI is one of them and I really love it. Windows 8 for me leads the minimalism approach with beautiful typography and the tiles.

But anyways, when I was using my Z10 the other day I kinda said to myself: the UI looks heavy.

So yeah, I'm really stoked for flat UI.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    03-24-14 10:15 AM
    Just let us change the icons ourselves to whatever we like and then everyone can be happy
    Thalestr and Stephen Cooper like this.
    03-24-14 10:21 AM
    Flat UI's seem counter-intuitive to me: we ask for a device capable of rendering the highest possible resolution with as little drain as possible, and then we want flat icons? One of my biggest complaints with Windows 8 once you get to the desktop is the removal of the transparent layers that made multitasking with Windows 7 so easy.

That said, detailed icons, like anything, can be overdone. In a few years we'll be saying how the flat icons look dated so the best approach will be somewhere in the middle.
    03-24-14 10:21 AM
    I am new to BB also using Android now for more then 4 years. To be honest: i don't understand all the discussion about Flat or not. I love BB for the features, speed and usability and in my specific case for the fantastic and beautiful hardware.

So whats wrong in getting a fresher and more fancy UI (though some of you don't need it), attracting the masses, keeping the stuff you all love BB for PLUS getting new features and functions on top!

Hopefully this step will bring BB back on track, so we can ALL continue to use this great platform for many many years.

PEACE!
    redsaph likes this.
    03-24-14 10:24 AM
    Keep it the way it is in 10.2.1.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 02:41 PM
    We need something different...that's more like the iphone and android. It will appeal to more people. Boost sales. New is exciting. Go for it!
    At first when you said "something different" I thought you meant something unique......then you said "more like Android and iOS". This is the problem I have. I have never respected a copycat

Response crafted in seconds on a Z30
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    03-24-14 02:51 PM
    Not sure why change is a bad thing?
    There is, in my opinion, a difference between constructive change and change for change's sake. I think BlackBerry should focus on the former, not the latter. Fixing bugs, adding and improving features. An UI change will cost a lot of resources, not only to design the new elements, but also to test them and to fix potential inconsistencies. It will probably also mean that some or even many third-party apps will need to be updated, an additional burden for an already diminished developer community. Aside from that, BlackBerry also risks that some people may not like that particular change, especially since it does not seem to have any apparent advantages other than following a contemporary design trend. Why is everything red all of a sudden?
    scrapmetal58 and FF22 like this.
    03-24-14 03:31 PM
    There is, in my opinion, a difference between constructive change and change for change's sake. I think BlackBerry should focus on the former, not the latter. Fixing bugs, adding and improving features. An UI change will cost a lot of resources, not only to design the new elements, but also to test them and to fix potential inconsistencies. It will probably also mean that some or even many third-party apps will need to be updated, an additional burden for an already diminished developer community. Aside from that, BlackBerry also risks that some people may not like that particular change, especially since it does not seem to have any apparent advantages other than following a contemporary design trend. Why is everything red all of a sudden?
    Not a burden when the developer community itself has been transitioning to flat UI. There really isn't an argument to stay as is besides pettiness from the people who seem to think the design with affect the way they get things done. It will not.
    03-24-14 04:24 PM
    8-bit flappy bird graphics please.

Posted via CB10
    pooar likes this.
    03-24-14 04:33 PM
    Actually devs don't have to change anything if they don't want to. If you have seen the Berryflow overview video of leak. The apps are automatically changed to flat ui. Devs don't even have to mess with app designs unless they really don't like the auto converted look. BB10 devs are awesome
    James Nieves likes this.
    03-24-14 04:35 PM
    8-bit flappy bird graphics please.

Posted via CB10
    Hahaha laughing out loud here lol

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 04:41 PM
    Not a burden when the developer community itself has been transitioning to flat UI. There really isn't an argument to stay as is besides pettiness from the people who seem to think the design with affect the way they get things done. It will not.
    I disagree with both points. The BlackBerry developer community, as a whole, has not been transitioning much at all. There are design differences here and there, but not on a great scale as to say that the whole community is moving towards a flat(ter) design. Certainly not of the magnitude as seen on Apple's ecosystem. The biggest inconsistencies are probably caused by Android ports, but those often look out of place regardless (since Android's Holo theme is different).

As such, I think it will add an additional burden upon developers to make sure that their apps look good on both 10.2 and 10.3, which requires additional work. Perhaps many developers will do that, perhaps many won't. My point is that, on a balance, the design change is not moving BlackBerry 10 forward either. I don't think that it's petty if people do not see the added value of it. That's what I meant with constructive change and change for change's sake. Some people like the latter, but certainly not all.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-24-14 04:45 PM
    I greatly prefer Windows 8 desktop window style (I hesitate to call it Metro, as I hate the new start menu) to Aero. I would always use Windows Classic windowstyle when I was on Windows 7, anyway.
    03-24-14 04:52 PM
    I disagree with both points. The BlackBerry developer community, as a whole, has not been transitioning much at all. There are design differences here and there, but not on a great scale as to say that the whole community is moving towards a flat(ter) design. Certainly not of the magnitude as seen on Apple's ecosystem. The biggest inconsistencies are probably caused by Android ports, but those often look out of place regardless (since Android's Holo theme is different).

As such, I think it will add an additional burden upon developers to make sure that their apps look good on both 10.2 and 10.3, which requires additional work. Perhaps many developers will do that, perhaps many won't. My point is that, on a balance, the design change is not moving BlackBerry 10 forward either. I don't think that it's petty if people do not see the added value of it. That's what I meant with constructive change and change for change's sake. Some people like the latter, but certainly not all.
    The BlackBerry developer community is tiny compared to the others and your post gives me the impression that you're willing to settle for that. I don't see why you should, much less BlackBerry. If we want growth we should be willing to change. This is what's happening right now but it seems the majority are adamant it won't make a difference. The fact that this is causing so much kerfuffle as it is makes me very excited for the imminent release.
    03-24-14 05:05 PM
    Yeah, why in the world would devs need to implement a UI that is at home on 10.2 and 10.3 at the same time when 10.3's UI is made standard? Stupidest argument I've heard.
    03-24-14 07:38 PM
    Having a windows classic skin for bb10 would be epic.
    03-25-14 02:58 AM
30 12