01-15-14 06:21 AM
38 12
tools
    Does anybody noticed this change?

I used to sideloaded Android apps in the past, particularly instant messaging apps like KakaoTalk and Line. They used to continue running in the background after I close it, so I can receive push notifications shall there be anyone contacting me through them. These apps also appears on Notifications settings acting like a native Blackberry apps. But since latest leak update, I have lost this capability on my STL100-1. Android apps also no longer appears in Notification settings too. They stop giving me push notifications. I have to tap on the apps and open them up to receive new notifications. Even when I keep them on active frame, they lost push notification capability after few hours or so. I have tested this with another Android device sending dummy messages. FYI, I use Snap to install them now.

Is this the price to pay for the update? I know now headless apps are available for 10.2.1. Such a pity that we lost this feature now.

Regards,
    tea1990
    01-02-14 07:00 AM
    hmmmm, don't quote me cuz I haven't even made the leap to 1925 yet, but it may just be a bug since it's not a final release... these are leaks, therefore aren't the final product and occasionally there are features that seem to take a backward step (like missing face focus, porchse clock backdoor from 1295 to 1925) in certain versions but usually find their way back onto the official OS...

you may have more of an idea if this is the case once others on 1925 report their findings... If anyone else is still getting notifications while apps are closed, it very likely just a bug that will be fixed/re-implemented...

unfortunately it would be less conclusive if others are not getting the notifications similar to how you are, cuz it could still be one of those features like face focus that just went away in this leak version and just have to wait and see if it comes back.
    01-02-14 07:31 AM
    There was some kind of change in 1925.

When 1055 first came out, and everyone tried out all the android app stores, they would all (well, 1Mobile, especially) just dump constant notifications to the hub.

The way around it was to load Ghost Commander (an android port in BB App World). There, you could go to the list of apps, select the store app, long press it to bring up the "manage" option, then uncheck "notifications", and all would stop.

I noticed after loading 1925, and reloaded all the android apks, that the notification option was already unchecked for all such apps.

Maybe you could try Ghost Commander and re-enable notifications for your apps. It may work.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 09:21 AM
    Not sure if this is your issue. But I notice with Android apps, you have to start them up once manually after restarting your BlackBerry in order for the headless functionality to work properly.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 12:28 PM
    Line works fine in my device. I still receive notification in the hub even though line is not open.

I always restore all without wiping my device.

The method with the ghost commander is worth to try though.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 12:58 PM
    True, the same thing goes for Pandora, Skype, Tango and Viber. None of the previously mentioned applications work in the background when X-ed out.
    As a matter of fact, none of these applications were meant to be headless.

Q10 SQN100-1/10.2.1.1925 ?
    01-02-14 04:04 PM
    I'm using KakaoTalk (installed with Snap) on my Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1925.
    It runs smoothly. The push notification is still there.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 04:25 PM
    joeldf: Thank you for your suggestion. I tried the Manage option from the list of apps in Ghost Commander (even tried both AppWorld's and Android Store's) but the check mark is already there. I also tried uncheck then re-checking it again ... but alas, the problem is still there.
    Alberta Blue: On earlier leak like 10.1, 10.2 and 10.2.1.1055, the apps work like how you mentioned. Not sure what went wrong after mine was updated.
    abramadhi: Are you on 10.2.1.1925 leak?
    artsnick: It does? I'm curious whether this is STL100-1 problem.

Now we have mixed report from different users... hmm... I wonder if there is a setting somewhere to make the app runs in the background?
    01-02-14 06:58 PM
    Q10 1925, also noticed apps not staying in the background after updating.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 08:57 PM
    It's probably not a bug. Probably a change BlackBerry has made so that they work the same as native apps. I can't imagine Joe schmo who isn't tech savvy installing Songza for android and hitting the X to close it like all other apps and it continues to play. Now how does he close it? He will be lost and think the OS is buggy. I enjoyed it while it lasted but I believe this to be the better move.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 09:26 PM
    Yes, I've noticed that Line isn't anymore sending notifications, and messages aren't received immediately unlike before. I manually install apps using the APK method.

im running 10.2.1.1925 on STL-100-2.
    01-02-14 09:26 PM
    FunktasticLucky: Yeah probably this is just a change in the way apps are running. But it's good to know that not every app have this habit. At least AFAIK only application with push notification capabilities really do stay 'headless', running in the background. Doesn't matter much discussing it now though.
    jlc0312, keenwerkz: I am currently trying to find solution to this matter ... to see whether I can work it out and make it work because I have been using Line regularly and this is a deal breaker for me. Thanks for your responses so far. Actually though, after experimenting, not closing the app will let it have a time-frame where notifications really does trigger notification ... but it only last about half an hour or so. If I didn't touch the app at all it will stop receiving notifications until re-opened. Weird.
    01-03-14 03:59 AM
    Same thing happened to me (STL-100-2 updating to 1925 with wipe). I tried to send a msg via LINE in the morning and only got it in the midnight the other day if I'm not proactively open the app

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    01-03-14 05:20 AM
    After hours of experiments, I've finally given this up. Tried many ways to make the app "stay there" with no luck. In the end I decided reloading leak number 10.2.0.1803 and everything falls into the right place now. Thanks all for the support so far. I guess I wouldn't mind trading features off for more usability.

tea1990
    01-03-14 03:55 PM
    no whenever you install the apk that can not work in background but when you convert it into bar and sideload it , it will work in background ............ for you 10.2.0.1803 is working normal because you can not test apk you only have to install it with bar method
    After hours of experiments, I've finally given this up. Tried many ways to make the app "stay there" with no luck. In the end I decided reloading leak number 10.2.0.1803 and everything falls into the right place now. Thanks all for the support so far. I guess I wouldn't mind trading features off for more usability.

tea1990
    nappp likes this.
    01-09-14 06:34 AM
    do not install apk of these files .... convert them into bar and sideload if you want to let them work in background
    Does anybody noticed this change?

I used to sideloaded Android apps in the past, particularly instant messaging apps like KakaoTalk and Line. They used to continue running in the background after I close it, so I can receive push notifications shall there be anyone contacting me through them. These apps also appears on Notifications settings acting like a native Blackberry apps. But since latest leak update, I have lost this capability on my STL100-1. Android apps also no longer appears in Notification settings too. They stop giving me push notifications. I have to tap on the apps and open them up to receive new notifications. Even when I keep them on active frame, they lost push notification capability after few hours or so. I have tested this with another Android device sending dummy messages. FYI, I use Snap to install them now.

Is this the price to pay for the update? I know now headless apps are available for 10.2.1. Such a pity that we lost this feature now.

Regards,
    tea1990
    nappp, 1magine and Eakle like this.
    01-09-14 06:35 AM
    apk are not headless ,,,,,,,,,,, install bar of line that will work
    Yes, I've noticed that Line isn't anymore sending notifications, and messages aren't received immediately unlike before. I manually install apps using the APK method.

im running 10.2.1.1925 on STL-100-2.
    01-09-14 06:36 AM
    Tahabashir - good find. Well done.
    01-09-14 01:01 PM
    @tea1990: I'm using 1925 since it was leaked. I didn't do any setup or tinkering with the setting but line works fine. And i installed it directly without converting to bar. I use snap too to download the apk. And, i always do a full restore and no wipe.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 05:12 PM
    @tea1990: I'm using 1925 since it was leaked. I didn't do any setup or tinkering with the setting but line works fine. And i installed it directly without converting to bar. I use snap too to download the apk. And, i always do a full restore and no wipe.

Posted via CB10
    So it worked even it closed..? If yes then I don't know... but I know what is that bar always works headless and apk not...

Posted via CB10
    damien kupuku likes this.
    01-09-14 07:58 PM
    im using 1925 and i download all my android apps through snap. I dont really have any apps that would need to send me push notifications, i try to keep that minimal to conserve battery.
    I do use the ebay however and i can confirm that i do get push notification almost instantly, even when it is not running in background.
    01-09-14 09:43 PM
    apk are not headless ,,,,,,,,,,, install bar of line that will work
    I'm disagree. My Line lost push notification after 1925 even install as APK or BAR is result the same

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 11:11 PM
    As a matter of fact, actually I've went back from 10.2 to 10.2.1 due to lack of good results, but I didn't share my findings as I thought I won't revive the thread anymore.

tahabashir1991: I have tried many ways installing Line just to see whether it works on the background. APK install, BAR install, even installing memory manager applications (tried a few) to set Line to "stay awake" just to see whether it works. Sadly none of the methods I tried bring any results. I even tried loading earlier OS, namely 10.1.0.4780 and 10.2.0.1803, sideloading the BAR as I did in my 10.1.0.4181 (the only OS I had Line working properly).

abramadhi: I always start with a clean install. Maybe ... just maybe ... when you did your restore, some hidden settings get recovered as well. For whatever reason I can't reproduce background push notifications on my Z10 anymore, like what I explained above.

King Nathan: That's interesting. Still, I have no idea why wouldn't Line send me background notifications anymore.
    01-10-14 01:14 AM
    Line push notification not working is the only reason why my Q10 is sitting on my shelf collecting dust.

If only someone has find a way to make this push notification work, I will be dropping my Note3 and happily switch to Q10 (bought it, never use it since Line didn't work)... I guess its too much to ask Naver to give us native app
    01-10-14 09:27 PM
    As a matter of fact, actually I've went back from 10.2 to 10.2.1 due to lack of good results, but I didn't share my findings as I thought I won't revive the thread anymore.

tahabashir1991: I have tried many ways installing Line just to see whether it works on the background. APK install, BAR install, even installing memory manager applications (tried a few) to set Line to "stay awake" just to see whether it works. Sadly none of the methods I tried bring any results. I even tried loading earlier OS, namely 10.1.0.4780 and 10.2.0.1803, sideloading the BAR as I did in my 10.1.0.4181 (the only OS I had Line working properly).

abramadhi: I always start with a clean install. Maybe ... just maybe ... when you did your restore, some hidden settings get recovered as well. For whatever reason I can't reproduce background push notifications on my Z10 anymore, like what I explained above.

King Nathan: That's interesting. Still, I have no idea why wouldn't Line send me background notifications anymore.
    It could be the fact BlackBerry has two headless options... Short running and Long running... I think all the apps from .APK's we have now are set to short running. There probably might be a option to change this in the official release but as everyone is saying this is the final it doesn't look too good. They might implement the change in a later 10.2.1 update but that's yet to be seen. Best idea would be to just reopening them every time you want to see updates or just downgrade... I'm sure there is a fix or some way around it but we haven't got it yet. Keep a eye out

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 10:36 PM
38 12