08-16-15 05:53 PM
99 1234
tools
    I wonder if this is tit for tat for BBM on Windows phone.
    On some other thread a while back,it was said BlackBerry had an agreement already with MS to license exFat.
    So if I'm not mistaken, no.

Maybe the rumoured native skype (is that still happening) will be 'tit for tat?'

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 12:54 AM
    which allocation unit size to use - default of else?
    Attached Thumbnails exFAT drivers from 10.2.1.3175 on 10.3.0.296 leak-img_20140528_075519.jpg  
    05-28-14 01:09 AM
    which allocation unit size to use - default of else?

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    05-28-14 01:18 AM
    Have tried formatting with exfat but asking me to download driver...please what can I do

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 03:11 AM
    I am running 10.3.0.296 with updated bars from 10.3.0.442 on a T-Mobile STL100-3.

When I insert an exFat 64GB card it says it is trying to download the driver and it always fails. I have tried the following.

Reboot
    Downgrade the Settings bar to 140 and Reboot
    Downgrade the Settings bar to 296 and Reboot

I am thinking this doesn't work on 10.3 yet. Anybody get it working on 10.3.
    05-28-14 06:53 AM
    I am running 10.3.0.296 with updated bars from 10.3.0.442 on a T-Mobile STL100-3.

When I insert an exFat 64GB card it says it is trying to download the driver and it always fails. I have tried the following.

Reboot
    Downgrade the Settings bar to 140 and Reboot
    Downgrade the Settings bar to 296 and Reboot

I am thinking this doesn't work on 10.3 yet. Anybody get it working on 10.3.
    I have the sandisk ultra XDHC 64gb and with the same issue . now i don't know how to format it to Fat32 since my laptop doesnt take SD card, and i only have my z30
    Will ask my friend with a lumia 520, to format this mmc using his mobile.
    05-28-14 06:54 AM
    It grabs the driver when you put the exFAT card in the slot.

And that alone is worth my loading this. Yes, you can reformat these cards to FAT32. They WILL all eventually fail if you do that and you'll wind up with a blank card. I know, it hasn't happened to you.

Yet.
    05-28-14 07:04 AM
    It grabs the driver when you put the exFAT card in the slot.

And that alone is worth my loading this. Yes, you can reformat these cards to FAT32. They WILL all eventually fail if you do that and you'll wind up with a blank card. I know, it hasn't happened to you.

Yet.
    i can't format an exfat microSD card using my Z30, it says formatting not completed.

05-28-14 07:05 AM
    Yes, you can reformat these cards to FAT32. They WILL all eventually fail if you do that and you'll wind up with a blank card. I know, it hasn't happened to you.

Yet.
    Can you please elaborate more on this?

Thank you!
    05-28-14 07:14 AM
    The download always fails on my son's Z10 LE device running Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175

Very peculiar...

Update:

My son's Z10 had an old radio installed, 10.2.1.2229. After updating it to 10.2.1.3140, the exFAT driver download succeeded. Seems like a pretty odd combination all in all...

Download Noted, my 5-star rated, native BB10 notepad app.
    Last edited by Carterbits; 05-28-14 at 11:58 PM.
    05-28-14 07:38 AM
    Can you please elaborate more on this?

Thank you!
    Sure.

The SD/XC cards use a different internal flash management algorithm to handle the bank switching and spare allocation than the HCs. They have to; it's the nature of trying to fit that much storage in the available space.

The controller's algorithm is incompatible with how FAT32 wants to concentrate I/O during write cycles. If you reformat such a card to FAT32 from exFAT it will eventually fail when written to. You can read from it all day long, but you want to put your camera files on there, right? That means the phone will be writing to it.

The card's internal management routines will eventually clash with the FAT32 filesystem and you will one day find the card corrupted. Then you'll ***** that the card is defective. It's not.

Sandisk warns not to reformat these cards off exFAT and so do all the other reputable manufacturers.

They're not kidding and the requirement to use exFAT on these cards is real.
    05-28-14 07:52 AM
    Sure.

The SD/XC cards use a different internal flash management algorithm to handle the bank switching and spare allocation than the HCs. They have to; it's the nature of trying to fit that much storage in the available space.

The controller's algorithm is incompatible with how FAT32 wants to concentrate I/O during write cycles. If you reformat such a card to FAT32 from exFAT it will eventually fail when written to. You can read from it all day long, but you want to put your camera files on there, right? That means the phone will be writing to it.

The card's internal management routines will eventually clash with the FAT32 filesystem and you will one day find the card corrupted. Then you'll ***** that the card is defective. It's not.

Sandisk warns not to reformat these cards off exFAT and so do all the other reputable manufacturers.

so what are you trying to say? Since i tried to format it back to fat32 from exfat, my microsd card is screwed?

05-28-14 08:17 AM
    so what are you trying to say? Since i tried to format it back to fat32 from exfat, my microsd card is screwed?

No, I'm saying that if you'd like your 64Gb (or larger) SD/XC card to actually be stable and not randomly decide to lose the data on it you need to reformat it back to exFAT and only use it in devices that are compatible with exFAT.
    05-28-14 08:24 AM
    05-28-14 09:14 AM
    I tried it before on 10.2.1, nothing happened. Probably because it's for 127.x.y.z OSs.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 09:15 AM
    I tried it before on 10.2.1, nothing happened. Probably because it's for 127.x.y.z OSs.

Posted via CB10
    Or maybe it needs to be enabled via a switch in the OS which is only flipped under certain circumstances
    05-28-14 09:21 AM
    Sure.

OK so if it does happen, how can or can it be fixed once corrupted? And thanks for the info
    05-28-14 09:32 AM
    I've had a look and you need to be signed in and have a valid connection, so it's not simulating the download, although using something like Sachesi should work.
    The filename in the OS is sys.data.exfat.gYABgIEqdiB1KcMBG_fjQX5oRyk and the installer has a routine designed to install just that bar.
    system/installer/upd/current/fsmon_notify_exfat_verify
    Last edited by ofutur; 05-28-14 at 10:20 AM.
    05-28-14 10:00 AM
    OK so if it does happen, how can or can it be fixed once corrupted? And thanks for the info
    You reformat the card in exFAT. It probably hasn't been permanently damaged, but there are no promises; write amplification is a serious problem with flash memory and a lot of brainpower goes into designing the controller to avoid that because all flash memory cells have a limited number of write cycles they can withstand before they're worn out.

("Write amplification" is the term for what happens when you write flash memory. You can only write zeros to flash memory; to write a "1" you must read the entire block, erase the block which sets all the bits to "1", then write only the zeros. As a result changing a single byte after the initial write to a blank block on the card can result in having to actually write as much as 4k worth of data that did NOT change because an erase can only take place on an entire block, not an individual cell.)
    HotFix and SteelGreek like this.
    05-28-14 11:00 AM
    Dang, this is one of the best debug / explanation threads I've ever seen. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 09:53 PM
    Is there a way to determine which file format a 64 g SD card is currently using?

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 07:00 AM
    Is there a way to determine which file format a 64 g SD card is currently using?

Posted via CB10
    You can mount your device on your pc and click the sd card drive and look at its properties. My 64gb is currently formatted as NTSF and originally was FAT32

Tried popping in a 8gb formatted as exFAT and the drivers never successfully download for me on 10.3.0.296/441
    05-29-14 07:42 AM
    Thank you. Good to know.

I have been using a 64g SD on my Z10 and Z30....it has been funky and unreliable the whole time...looking forward to getting up and running with exFat.

I have had major problems syncing documents with BlackBerry Link and have been cursing Link the whole time...perhaps my issue was with the card?...

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 09:16 AM
    For the record, 64gb sd cards have been supported since the inception of BB10 - at least fat32 (didn't try ntsf) Popped my 64 in when I first got my z10 in March 2013, formatted and no probs.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    My 64GB card has been formatted in ntfs for the 10.2.1 and 10.3 and there are no problems....
    I recently backed it up and re-formatted to FAT32 and moved everything back because the indexing was taking too long when I installed 10.3 leak....
    05-29-14 09:17 AM
    Which device?
    05-29-14 11:13 AM
99 1234