05-02-15 07:29 AM
127 1234 ...
tools
    I don't believe the duplicate computer issue is resolved by doing something on the device (ie. wipe, reload, restore etc.). I had the same issue and no matter what I did, the duplicate computer would show up after a restart of the device (within minutes). What I did to "prove" this was to turn off all network access and restart the device. Upon restart, with the network connections off, the duplicate computer did not show up again until I turned on a network connection. This made me believe that this information is actually stored and retrieved from somewhere in the Blackberry network with the association to your Blackberry ID. Somewhere, it thinks that there are 2 Blackberry Link connections from computers with the same name. I think my problem started when an update to Blackberry Link did not clean up the old version as there was an error message indicating so. Thus, the old version connection and the updated version connection existed. What I did was change the password on my Blackberry ID with the hopes that the ghost connection would eventually time out since the ghost connection would have the old password. After a few days, this actually did happen and the second computer was removed from File Manager and has not re-appeared since. This doesn't entirely resolve the issue but at least removes the symptom. I think Blackberry needs to add functionality to the Blackberry ID site to allow you to manage the device connections.
    12-13-14 11:44 AM
    What I did was change the password on my Blackberry ID with the hopes that the ghost connection would eventually time out since the ghost connection would have the old password. After a few days, this actually did happen and the second computer was removed from File Manager and has not re-appeared since.
    I like it. To back that up, I updated both email and password in the middle of trying various other methods since I had a nagging suspicion it could be server-side, but because a wipe/install of a new OS brought it on I kept trying other ideas.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by iBuilder; 03-24-15 at 07:18 PM.
    12-13-14 09:39 PM
    I don't believe the duplicate computer issue is resolved by doing something on the device (ie. wipe, reload, restore etc.). I had the same issue and no matter what I did, the duplicate computer would show up after a restart of the device (within minutes). What I did to "prove" this was to turn off all network access and restart the device. Upon restart, with the network connections off, the duplicate computer did not show up again until I turned on a network connection. This made me believe that this information is actually stored and retrieved from somewhere in the Blackberry network with the association to your Blackberry ID. Somewhere, it thinks that there are 2 Blackberry Link connections from computers with the same name. I think my problem started when an update to Blackberry Link did not clean up the old version as there was an error message indicating so. Thus, the old version connection and the updated version connection existed. What I did was change the password on my Blackberry ID with the hopes that the ghost connection would eventually time out since the ghost connection would have the old password. After a few days, this actually did happen and the second computer was removed from File Manager and has not re-appeared since. This doesn't entirely resolve the issue but at least removes the symptom. I think Blackberry needs to add functionality to the Blackberry ID site to allow you to manage the device connections.
    Where did you change the BlackBerry ID password? On the device or on the web login? Did you change the password on BB LInk on the PC as well?
    12-15-14 11:08 PM
    I changed it on the Blackberryid.blackberry.com site. I would have logged out and in with the new password on link.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-14 11:22 PM
    I changed it on the Blackberryid website. I would have logged out and back in with the new password on Link.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-14 11:25 PM
    Where did you change the BlackBerry ID password? On the device or on the web login? Did you change the password on BB LInk on the PC as well?
    You can change it from either one, just make sure it matches in Link and device, etc, when you do. I changed mine via website because I was wiping my BlackBerry at that point, and had Link removed from my PC.

If you change BBID login info be aware you will not be able to use any backup you made before the change.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-14 11:31 PM
    One other note is that I would have deleted the duplicate computer from Settings-->Device Connections (which removes it from File Manager). I would check at least daily by resetting the device and seeing if it showed up again. If it did, I would delete it again and repeat the process. Eventually, the duplicate did not show up after a reset.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 12:25 AM
    So the best would be to log out on Link after deleting the ghost entries from the device, then change the password on the web and then log back in to Link with the new password.
    12-16-14 12:32 AM
    Honestly don't think the logging in and out of Link really makes any difference. The key is changing the bbid password which should eventually cause the orphaned connection to time out. Therefore, the order of the steps doesn't matter. Note that it took a few days for the timeout to occur so you will most likely have to delete the duplicate connection if you restart your device prior to it timing out.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 01:23 AM
    Sorry that should have been "delete the duplicate computer"

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 01:24 AM
    I changed the PW on my device. Now my regular PC connection still shows as online in the file manager, although it says I have no access now. I didn't change it on Link on the PC yet.
    On the Link on the device my regular PC has vanished. The three ghost entries are still there.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 11:25 AM
    Are you able to delete all computers in Device Connections which should remove them all from File Manager? If you changed the password on the device, I would log out and back in on Link as well.
    12-16-14 11:59 AM
    To install 10.3.1 are all you guys using autoloaders and then restoring backups? I do not have this issue but I have been doing non destructive updates and don't need to restore backups. This could be the issue wherein the backup saves the connection but reconnecting the device after reloading software treats the new connection as a completely different connection when it isn't. So every time you restore the device software a new connection is added. Just a theory but that's sort of what it sounds like.

Edit: what sanbox says is probably the best course of action to rid all those extra connections. Backup the device when you find all those extra connections are gone for good.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 12:37 PM
    Based on what I did, the orphan connection(s) exist somewhere server side in the Blackberry network. What caused my duplicate computer was an unclean uninstall of Link which left an orphan connection (you can see this if you cleanly uninstall Link as your computer will be removed from your device). Installing a new Link version then created the second (good) connection. Changing the password eventually timed out the orphaned connection and my duplicate computer was no longer visible on my device.

As eddy_berry noted, you have to get your device in a fairly stable state first meaning your device needs to be able to delete the duplicate computers from Settings (10.2 is Blackberry Link and 10.3.x is Device Connections I believe). For sure restores and such may cause your device to get into a state where you can't even delete the duplicate computers.

Apologies eddy_berry as I didn't answer your question. I have been using non-destructive to upgrade. That being said, I have done a number of things (wipes, restores, reload, uninstall/install Link etc.) when I initially noticed the duplicate computer problem but had to get into the stable state before that password change actually finally removed the duplicate computer for good....
    12-16-14 01:09 PM
    I went home and opened Link on the PC. I signed in with the new password and this created another connection. Old was "PC". New one is now "PC-1"
    The old one is not possible to remove, as now it only shows in file manager. In the Link settings on the device "PC" is still there, but when I remove it, the "PC-1" entry in file manager gets removed instead, leaving the old named "PC" entry there. Even if I delete all four entries from the Link settings, the initial "PC" entry remains. AAARGH! Now it got an even bigger mess!
    I changed the email (Username) and password again on BlackBerry ID, but the problem remains. Now what?

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 02:59 PM
    I ran into similar problems when I was first tried to resolve this problem. Essentially you now have an orphaned computer showing in file manager. Not sure if you are up to this but a wipe might be the only way to remove that. I know I had to do it.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 03:14 PM
    I ran into similar problems when I was first tried to resolve this problem. Essentially you now have an orphaned computer showing in file manager. Not sure if you are up to this but a wipe might be the only way to remove that. I know I had to do it.

Posted via CB10
    You don't think if I wait for a few days and see what happens would do it?

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 03:18 PM
    Certainly worth a try and possibly save you the hassle of a wipe. The only thing is that the password "fix" was only to get rid of the orphaned connection which would remove it from File Manager. Not sure if it works since the computer in File Manager is now orphaned (hope that's not too confusing).

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 03:44 PM
    Certainly worth a try and possibly save you the hassle of a wipe. The only thing is that the password "fix" was only to get rid of the orphaned connection which would remove it from File Manager. Not sure if it works since the computer in File Manager is now orphaned (hope that's not too confusing).

Posted via CB10
    No, I understood what you meant. Wiping is a hassle for sure, and I really don't wanna do it. But this useless entry bugs me a lot. I'm a perfectionist somehow. I.just don't understand why the phone doesn't get rid if it. And why whatever is on the BlackBerry servers doesn't get deleted when not in use anymore.

You think perhaps when I upgrade to the latest 10.3, it would go away? I was toying with that idea anyways.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 03:51 PM
    Another question: I'm currently logged out on Link on the PC and have the device removed. Should I establish a new connection after I changed the email and password, or should I leave it like that for the time being?

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 04:44 PM
    I fixed this with a nuke (cfp57 nuke -a), autoloader 1154 , restore media only with link, restore sms with app. And manually re-setup all accounts.
    12-16-14 04:59 PM
    No, I understood what you meant. Wiping is a hassle for sure, and I really don't wanna do it. But this useless entry bugs me a lot. I'm a perfectionist somehow. I.just don't understand why the phone doesn't get rid if it. And why whatever is on the BlackBerry servers doesn't get deleted when not in use anymore.

You think perhaps when I upgrade to the latest 10.3, it would go away? I was toying with that idea anyways.

Posted via CB10
    In my situation, the original connection did not get cleaned up because when I tried to upgrade Link, it did not uninstall the previous version (there was an error message indicating this). When I was finally able to install a new version of Link (after a manual uninstall of Link and manual clean up the windows registry) a second connection was made which created the duplicate computer. There is no way to get rid of the original connection which I assume is stored server side somewhere. To try to eliminate the orphaned connection, I used the password change.

I am on 10.3.1.1154. If you go that route, I would suggest a clean install (ie. Wipe, autoloader, norestore). Unfortunately, this yields the same result as performing a wipe on your current version ( meaning going through the hassle of re-setup, re-install).

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 05:21 PM
    Another question: I'm currently logged out on Link on the PC and have the device removed. Should I establish a new connection after I changed the email and password, or should I leave it like that for the time being?

Posted via CB10
    I would certainly try to log back into Link to see if you can at least re-establish a connection between your device and Link. You will still see the orphaned computer I'm sure. Also, if you reset your device, do you see the duplicate computers in Settings or do you only see the orphaned computer name in File Manager?

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 05:23 PM
    I would certainly try to log back into Link to see if you can at least re-establish a connection between your device and Link. You will still see the orphaned computer I'm sure. Also, if you reset your device, do you see the duplicate computers in Settings or do you only see the orphaned computer name in File Manager?

Posted via CB10
    When I reset it, everything comes back in the list. Also in file manager.
    What I don't understand is why in Link on device it shows as "PC", but in file manager it is related to "PC-1". Although the dead entry "PC" is still there.
    When I delete "PC" in link on device, it removes the "PC-1" entry in file manager.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 05:27 PM
    The -1 is only there in File Manager to denote a difference in the names. Since there is already a PC computer and then a second connection with PC as the computer, the -1 is added (then PC-2, PC-3 and so on).

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 07:41 PM
127 1234 ...