Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 02:20 PM
    It is a lock runtime. So if the app in question need a debug token... it will need it now.

Or you can sideload the unlocked runtime.
    09-25-13 03:37 PM
    reloading the one you have now should work, no need to create a new one.
    09-25-13 03:47 PM
    Well, I guess if you specified the exact leak it would be easier to answer. But, in a nutshell the last few leaks have had locked runtime, therefore requiring debug tokens to run some apps.

Sent from my BerryLeak Q10 running 10.2.0.xxxx while drunk
    09-26-13 03:55 PM
    I have a suggestion for the next leaks. Use pretty pictures with bright colors instead of text. Maybe then people will look to see what works and what doesn't. This way they won't have to read.

For the runtime you could use a clock running.

For STL100-1 you could use a BlackBerry sheep or an unwanted stepchild with a big 1 on its back.

For battery life you could use a giant battery. With "DUH" instead of a name brand.

For the links you should provide fake ones with the description as "this is the wrong link" or this is what happens for not reading" and have them point to the trololol video on YouTube.

BlackBerry Z...my weapon of choice.
    Gearheadaddy likes this.
    09-26-13 07:42 PM
    Well, I guess if you specified the exact leak it would be easier to answer. But, in a nutshell the last few leaks have had locked runtime, therefore requiring debug tokens to run some apps.

The latest leak from yesterday specifies there wont be anymore unlocked runtimes.
    Do you have any idea of why this is? Thanks.
    Last edited by Oglon3r; 09-26-13 at 11:11 PM.
    09-26-13 08:13 PM
    The latest leak from yesterday specifies there wont be anymore unlocked runtimes.
    Do you have any idea of why this is? Thanks.
    As I have stated many times before...the android runtime was meant for developers to test their apps on. it was not meant for the layman to port any app they wanted over to their device.
    As such, unlocked runtime were never meant to be out of in-house testing. Therefore, I do not forsee us getting another unlocked runtime.

09-26-13 09:09 PM
    As I have stated many times before...the android runtime was meant for developers to test their apps on. it was not meant for the layman to port any app they wanted over to their device.
    As such, unlocked runtime were never meant to be out of in-house testing. Therefore, I do not forsee us getting another unlocked runtime.

Sideloading is one of BB biggest assets why would BB hinder it by making it harder for the average user to use it? Seems extremely self-defeating if you ask me...
    09-27-13 07:47 AM
    Sideloading is one of BB biggest assets why would BB hinder it by making it harder for the average user to use it? Seems extremely self-defeating if you ask me...
    Read my statement above your question. Sideloading was NOT meant for the masses. It is a dev tool, meant to help developers test their apps.
    Therfore it would only be a hinderence and self defeating if it were intended for the average user to use, but alas it was not.

09-27-13 08:09 AM
    Because they would be burning bridges with Google and potential developers, something they cannot afford to do.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    09-27-13 08:18 AM
    Because they would be burning bridges with Google and potential developers, something they cannot afford to do.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    Read my statement above your question. Sideloading was NOT meant for the masses. It is a dev tool, meant to help developers test their apps.
    Therfore it would only be a hinderence and self defeating if it were intended for the average user to use, but alas it was not.

I have read and understand your response thoroughly my friend and I suppose it makes sense. However; it seems developers are not being very efficient at porting the apps people want into BB World, as such people have been using the sideloading method ever since the Playbook came out. In the meantime, why not give the chance for people to enjoy what they want on their device in a precise and easy manner regardless? (AKA latest unlocked runtime) Not like BB or potential developers are doing much about it. At least that is my personal opinion.
    Mr BlackScorpion your argument also makes me reminiscence of various users over at the apple forums, in which they completely reject the idea of unlocking their devices true potential. (factory unlock/jailbreak etc etc...)
    It is also noteworthy to mention that just recently, some androidbots have equally exhibited the same behavior towards custom android roms.
    I for one would like to defend and advocate the right for people to unlock their devices full potential.
    09-27-13 10:13 AM
    I have read and understand your response thoroughly my friend and I suppose it makes sense. However; it seems developers are not being very efficient at porting the apps people want into BB World, as such people have been using the sideloading method ever since the Playbook came out. In the meantime, why not give the chance for people to enjoy what they want on their device in a precise and easy manner regardless? (AKA latest unlocked runtime) Not like BB or potential developers are doing much about it. At least that is my personal opinion.
    Mr BlackScorpion your argument also makes me reminiscence of various users over at the apple forums, in which they completely reject the idea of unlocking their devices true potential. (factory unlock/jailbreak etc etc...)
    It is also noteworthy to mention that just recently, some androidbots have equally exhibited the same behavior towards custom android roms.
    I for one would like to defend and advocate the right for people to unlock their devices full potential.
    I have nothing against unlocking a devices full potential and am all for finding ways.

It is a developers sole decision on whether to port their app over to BlackBerry 10 platform. Yes we have found ways to circumvent those devs that don't want to port their apps over.

On the other hand, there are other issues regarding running apps that are not intended (made natively or ported by original developer) that I won't get into at this time. These issues have been discussed in depth through various threads in CB.

09-27-13 10:18 AM
    One big reason is some of the sideloaded apps have the potential for a SECURITY risk. If you don't know for sure if the app is ok, don't load it. Android apps are "open source", not always good for everyone to load depending on the app itself.

Trusted Member Genius
    09-27-13 10:48 AM

You have hit the point. The lack of dedicated applications that people need and want, forces one to either do this sideload thing (and put up with sass from the developer community for being an interloper) or buy an Android or iPhone. The financial facts show that nearly all people choose to buy an Android or an iPhone consequently Blackberry is on the ropes. If Blackberry really wanted to sell these things they would either make it possible to load Android apps directly or otherwise get hundreds of stores, banks, brokers, TV stations, Radio stations, light rail companies etc. to develop for the 10. The latter is impossible without evidence of consumer acceptance of the devices. It is a Chicken and Egg situation. So, I will give BB a little more time to make the devices capable of installing Android applications directly and failing that, take my loss and buy something else.
    BlackScorpion3 likes this.
    09-27-13 05:11 PM
    You have hit the point. The lack of dedicated applications that people need and want, forces one to either do this sideload thing (and put up with sass from the developer community for being an interloper) or buy an Android or iPhone. The financial facts show that nearly all people choose to buy an Android or an iPhone consequently Blackberry is on the ropes. If Blackberry really wanted to sell these things they would either make it possible to load Android apps directly or otherwise get hundreds of stores, banks, brokers, TV stations, Radio stations, light rail companies etc. to develop for the 10. The latter is impossible without evidence of consumer acceptance of the devices. It is a Chicken and Egg situation. So, I will give BB a little more time to make the devices capable of installing Android applications directly and failing that, take my loss and buy something else.
    Well, that is not what I said. Yes, BlackBerry lacks some apps that people think that 'need' such as, Instagram and Netflix. But, other apps are plenty.
    The way I look at it is this, my device is a communication tool. Email, phone, text, bbm, etc. Anything else is a bonus. As far as apps coming to it or not, is irrelevant in my eyes.
    Yes, sideloading is a part of what people are doing to circumvent the lack of apps people feel they 'need'. Leaving the platform is another.
    But, I challenge you. Instead of leaving said platform or sideloading. Leran to develop apps yourself, or contact a BlackBerry developer. See if there is a way to create a similar app for BlackBerry instead of jumping ship.

09-27-13 05:26 PM
    I have nothing against unlocking a devices full potential and am all for finding ways.

It is a developers sole decision on whether to port their app over to BlackBerry 10 platform. Yes we have found ways to circumvent those devs that don't want to port their apps over.

On the other hand, there are other issues regarding running apps that are not intended (made natively or ported by original developer) that I won't get into at this time. These issues have been discussed in depth through various threads in CB.

What you say is true. Just as it is the developer's discretion about porting their application to OS10 it is the consumer's discretion about which phone to buy. It is also true that if one needs to have an application that is not on OS10 (Charles Schwab, TD Ameritrade, Interactive Brokers, Wells Fargo Bank etc. in my case) one must either fiddle around and sideload a converted Android or buy an Android or iPhone.

With the recent disclosures of Blackberry's financial and business problems, it is extremely unlikely that any of those names I listed will devote any money to producing an OS10 application or even porting their Android apps over. They could incur support costs as well if they did so, particularly if Blackberry exits the market.

At this point, the feedback I get from the street is that the only thing that could generate any interest in these new Blackberry phones is if they would run Android application directly. The manager of the AT&T store where I bought my Z10 lit up when I told her that Android applications will run on the OS10 phones if Blackberry would unlock them. She said she could sell a lot more of them then. (BTW, she actually likes Blackberry and uses a Q10 herself - a rarity at AT&T stores. She reports continuing sales and has had no returns. I suspect one reason is that she is both willing and capable to help new owners with their questions and shows a positive attitude toward Blackberry.)
    Last edited by jgrobertson; 09-28-13 at 08:48 AM.
    09-28-13 08:38 AM
    What you say is true. Just as it is the developer's discretion about porting their application to OS10 it is the consumer's discretion about which phone to buy. It is also true that if one needs to have an application that is not on OS10 (Charles Schwab, TD Ameritrade, Interactive Brokers, Wells Fargo Bank etc. in my case) one must either fiddle around and sideload a converted Android or buy an Android or iPhone.

With the recent disclosures of Blackberry's financial and business problems, it is extremely unlikely that any of those names I listed will devote any money to producing an OS10 application or even porting their Android apps over. They could incur support costs as well if they did so, particularly if Blackberry exits the market.

At this point, the feedback I get from the street is that the only thing that could generate any interest in these new Blackberry phones is if they would run Android application directly. The manager of the AT&T store where I bought my Z10 lit up when I told her that Android applications will run on the OS10 phones if Blackberry would unlock them. She said she could sell a lot more of them then. (BTW, she actually likes Blackberry and uses a Q10 herself - a rarity at AT&T stores. She reports continuing sales and has had no returns. I suspect one reason is that she is both willing and capable to help new owners with their questions and shows a positive attitude toward Blackberry.)
    Ummm, android apps do run without runtime being unlocked

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 10:28 AM
    Why do I keep expecting to see a post in here from a banished member of royalty who desperately seeks my assistance accessing a large sum of money?

Weird vibe.

Carry on...
    09-28-13 11:16 AM
    Posted via CB10
    No, same phone, reload same debug...I've done it numerous times...after 30 days you need to renew token of course...

Trusted Member Genius
    jgrobertson likes this.
    09-30-13 06:10 PM
    No, same phone, reload same debug...I've done it numerous times...after 30 days you need to renew token of course...

Trusted Member Genius
    Thanks, This simple answer is what I was looking for when I started this. Of course the renewal every 30 days is not a long term solution - so BB either must get more of the companies to support the OS10 as well as iPhone & Android, or make it possible to install Android applications from the Google Play etc. Failing that, I will have no choice to move away from the Blackberry handset. That may be necessary anyway if BB retreats from the consumer market completely or drops hardware altogether.
    10-03-13 06:39 PM