09-08-13 10:43 AM
110 ... 345
tools
    That is why I said you have to manipulate this, I've done it many times to offer the user an option to use dark or light theme as they please.
    If this is the solution i think it is I found someone talking about it on a blog that I forget right now when I first started trying to figure out how this could be done (although I don't think light as the theme will do anything, it needs to be bright). I didn't like the idea of messing with a file as important as the bar descriptor (although if implemented properly it shouldn't be a problem but I have really terrible luck so it would probably get messed up for me) so I implemented a different method. I was a little surprised that you can modify the bar descriptor post-install though. I haven't ever played around with this but why isn't this a security hole that let's you run a completely different app by changing the entry asset?
    09-02-13 01:56 AM
    If this is the solution i think it is I found someone talking about it on a blog that I forget right now when I first started trying to figure out how this could be done (although I don't think light as the theme will do anything, it needs to be bright). I didn't like the idea of messing with a file as important as the bar descriptor (although if implemented properly it shouldn't be a problem but I have really terrible luck so it would probably get messed up for me) so I implemented a different method. I was a little surprised that you can modify the bar descriptor post-install though. I haven't ever played around with this but why isn't this a security hole that let's you run a completely different app by changing the entry asset?
    Just want to make sure what I am reading from you is correct. Are you saying that it is possible to install a third party app, navigate to its bar descriptor file, edit it to have a dark theme toggle?

If this is correct, can you give some brief instructions for those of us who don't mind tinkering around with our devices.

Thanks.

Check out my "Facepalm" channel: C0001F676
    09-02-13 11:56 AM
    Just want to make sure what I am reading from you is correct. Are you saying that it is possible to install a third party app, navigate to its bar descriptor file, edit it to have a dark theme toggle?

If this is correct, can you give some brief instructions for those of us who don't mind tinkering around with our devices.

Thanks.
    No, since the apps are sandboxed they have to do it themselves.
    09-02-13 12:48 PM
    Can't wait

Posted via CB10
    09-02-13 07:14 PM
    Just to reassert a comment above. This is NOT improve battery life on the Z10?

Q&A with an Ex-Mormon/LDS. Subscribe to Channel: C00121BDD
    Actually, I believe the developer of Battery Guru did some testing a while ago and found that the dark theme could potentially use a little less power on the Z10, as it used slightly less power displaying an entirely black screen than an entirely white screen. However, the difference would probably be negligible.
    09-02-13 07:24 PM
    I haven't read the whole thread, I'm sorry. I just got pointed to it.

I guess someone posted already a similar solution but for the sake of completeness: Change Theme - edit "bar-descriptor.xml" at runtime

I've implemented it about 2 weeks ago at the App Railroad Switzerland and so far without any kind of complains from the users. Either it works flawless or nobody is using this new feature. ;-)
    09-04-13 06:35 AM
    Exactly. More private at night too
    Also WAY less annoying in the Cinema!
    09-06-13 02:54 AM
    with the lack of theme support in BB10 and cascades instead of just adding the dark theme shouldn't there be options to select additional colours? similar to the way Windows 8 does it, surely there are main colours contained in what I assume is probably some sort of style sheet- add a colour picker and we rocking!

imagine a White Z10, with a crackberry orange cascades interface *drool*
    09-06-13 04:12 AM
    Any idea when the Dark Theme will be available for STL100-1 10.2.0.1521 (Leak)?
    Thanks,
    09-08-13 10:21 AM
    Any idea when the Dark Theme will be available for STL100-1 10.2.0.1521 (Leak)?
    Thanks,
    the calendar and contacts app has been leaked:

http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...yleaks-846984/

Check out my "Facepalm" channel: C0001F676
    09-08-13 10:43 AM
110 ... 345