Why are other operating systems able to cope with less ram?, it seems up to nearly half of what bb10 requires.

Is it simply the android runtime + the way qnx works that requires the extra boost.

Because my 'blackberry tablet' uses 600mb to run the os, but I here bb10 uses about 1.2gb.
    Also as example newest ipad mini only comes with 1gb ram total.

Ive been reading of great performance boosts with the latest leak (10.3), but it seems the os still uses large amounts of ram. Will they ever reduce the ram requirement or is i just not worth doing at this stage? This is most likely an oversimplification but wouldn't less ram usage = more battery. Which I know most people would welcome, especially those zedtenners

Cheers. A

Disclaimer: Not trying to start an argument here, simply curious is all. No need to defend your favourite companies and products and attack all others as lesser beings. just looking for a frank and open discussion.
    05-15-14 08:25 AM
    It's not really clear WHY BB10 is such a RAM hog. What is clear is that there isn't much they can do about it right now. There answer for the Z3 was not optimization of the OS, but limiting the functions.

It has been stated that less RAM does increase battery life, buy by how much is not really clear. Think most of us would rather make sure our device is "future proof" and have the extra RAM headroom, then to find out later that a few MB of RAM came between us and an update (thank you STORM). Many of the new Kit-Kat Android devices could run on 512 MB of RAM - some of the low end ones only have that much. But then there are others that now have 4 GB of RAM.

But keep in mind how BB10 works compared to iOS and Kit-Kat. Do those platforms have all of your email and social accounts in one INBOX that is always "ON"? Do they give you notifications - even if you don't have the app open?

Do I wish that BB10 could operate on 1GB of RAM... of course I do as a PlayBook owner. Do I wish that BB10 was more power efficient - of course I do as a Z10 owner. Do I wish BB10 worked more like iOS and Android... NO - I like the features of the HUB and how my information is just there...
    05-15-14 09:21 AM
    Thanks for the response. thinking long long term. ram optimisation at this stage would actually allow some of the devices available now run with bb11/12. which would be pretty neat. not a way to make money but a great way to develop a brand identity of device longevity. like the Nokia of old.
    05-15-14 11:02 AM
    Its really weird thing about the BlackBerry 10 OSs ram consumption, I've the z10, stl100-1 running now 10.2.1 OS and its average is 260 mb after the reset then reaches some times 450mb before another reset while android Kitkat which is *3 of the 10 OS from the side of options and customization functions very smoothely with much more less ram!!
    Why its going like that BlackBerry?

Amazing z10. But stupid battery
    05-15-14 11:17 AM
    Why, because the apps run in real-time (most), not like other OSs that cheat. Actually, BB10 is the only current mobile OS that has real time multitasking a la desktop pc.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 11:31 AM
    Yeah but my blackberry 'tablet' also has that real multitasking and it uses about half of what bb10 does. Plus the multitasking shouldn't be an issue since I'm talking about the core os without any apps loaded.
    05-15-14 02:24 PM
    From my experience since first 10.0 releases and from what I have read here, I can say, that guys behind the BB10 are programmers but there are not low level and OS programmers.

If there is now money, we can't get proper competitive working OS. That's the main problem of BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 02:38 PM
    Why, because the apps run in real-time (most), not like other OSs that cheat. Actually, BB10 is the only current mobile OS that has real time multitasking a la desktop pc.

Posted via CB10
    Except for WebOs which you may argue is not a current OS for mobile phones---only found on LG TVs and in legacy phones. Rumours exist that WebOs may be resurrected on a LG phone in the future.
    05-15-14 02:39 PM
    It never matters what your using it always how you use it. A good os will use 80% of ram while running apps. Etc. Who cares anyway. Unless you get out of memory errors I don't care what the ram is. If it runs and works I'm good.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 02:49 PM
    Except for WebOs which you may argue is not a current OS for mobile phones---only found on LG TVs and in legacy phones. Rumours exist that WebOs may be resurrected on a LG phone in the future.
    True but if you gonna think this way Symbian, Maemo, MeeGo, Salifish...

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 03:29 PM
    even full windows 8 can get away with only 1 gb ram. it just seems really odd compared to all the rest. but I suppose ram is cheap nowadays anyway.
    05-16-14 07:47 AM
    even full windows 8 can get away with only 1 gb ram. it just seems really odd compared to all the rest. but I suppose ram is cheap nowadays anyway.
    "Get away with" - that's the problem. I'm struggling with Win 8.1 on my Core2Duo 2.2 GHz with 4 GB of RAM - lags a lot more than my BB10 device does.

Obviously WP8.1 is stripped down so it works on the phones - though it can be laggy at times too.

Honestly, I don't really care if it needs 2 GB to run smoothly since RAM is so cheap nowadays, as you said. It would be nice to get it on the Playbook but that just isn't happening...

I honestly don't know exactly which daemons and services are running on BB10 so I'm not gonna bother speculating or going on about the fact that it is because it is a RTOS that is POSIX compliant so it manages RAM like a full Unix server does.

What you can do, is use Darcy's BB Tools and download an Autoloader. Extract the OS files and look through the startup scripts - I haven't done this in a while so I can't remember what is going on there. Though, it really helps if you've worked with Unix before - otherwise it's mostly just gibberish.
    05-16-14 08:08 AM
    It has been stated that less RAM does increase battery life, buy by how much is not really clear.

Do I wish that BB10 was more power efficient - of course I do as a Z10 owner.
    Less RAM only boosts battery life if you can physically reduce the amount of RAM in a device, having the memory and not using it makes no difference as it still needs to be powered.

As far as your other point, a better term to use to describe what you would like might be resource efficient as the device demonstrates power efficiency with the battery life it provides with these various devices, but even then you could argue that other resources such as CPU and GPU are used efficiently.
    heveys4 likes this.
    05-16-14 08:47 AM
    In my year of studying computer architecture it's come to my understand that cache is the way forward, using less ram should be encouraged. This is probably why ipads etc have only 1gb of ram because of how well they handle cache memory. Yes it comes from the processor and it could possibly be the next thing going forward. Multi processors hence more cache = faster performance

Posted via CB10 on Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.3175
    05-16-14 08:53 AM
    "Get away with" - that's the problem. I'm struggling with Win 8.1 on my Core2Duo 2.2 GHz with 4 GB of RAM - lags a lot more than my BB10 device does.

Obviously WP8.1 is stripped down so it works on the phones - though it can be laggy at times too.

Honestly, I don't really care if it needs 2 GB to run smoothly since RAM is so cheap nowadays, as you said. It would be nice to get it on the Playbook but that just isn't happening...

I honestly don't know exactly which daemons and services are running on BB10 so I'm not gonna bother speculating or going on about the fact that it is because it is a RTOS that is POSIX compliant so it manages RAM like a full Unix server does.

What you can do, is use Darcy's BB Tools and download an Autoloader. Extract the OS files and look through the startup scripts - I haven't done this in a while so I can't remember what is going on there. Though, it really helps if you've worked with Unix before - otherwise it's mostly just gibberish.
    Lol RAM isn't actually cheap right now. Prices are through the roof due to problems in the countries that manufacture them. Similar to the way HDDs were super expensive for a while. And besides, with DDR4 around the corner, RAM prices won't really settle down anyways.

As for this OS being a RAM hog, why does it matter? Effect on battery will be minimal unless it's running sub 200MB which is ridiculous for a system running Android Runtime within it. The most important hardware features that affect battery are screen and CPU. And this OS is buggy at times but never laggy for me.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 01:10 PM
    I'm wondering is the hub, which is essentially a large app, is caching a fair bit of memory, 'just in case' ?
    05-16-14 01:11 PM
    As for this OS being a RAM hog, why does it matter? Effect on battery will be minimal unless it's running sub 200MB which is ridiculous for a system running Android Runtime within it. The most important hardware features that affect battery are screen and CPU. And this OS is buggy at times but never laggy for me.
    Honestly it probably doesn't matter. However that still doesn't prevent me from being curious as to why it is so large. It's not that the difference is marginal, it's in fact quite significant, nearly double the requirement of some os's.
    05-16-14 01:23 PM
    Come on guys - RAM really doesn't matter as long you have enough of it. And 2gb should be enough for 10.3.1 so who cares...
    05-16-14 01:38 PM
    Honestly it probably doesn't matter. However that still doesn't prevent me from being curious as to why it is so large. It's not that the difference is marginal, it's in fact quite significant, nearly double the requirement of some os's.
    It's a new OS. And let's face it, RAM consumption is the least of their worries at the moment haha.

Additionally, iOS and Android have been in development for years where they have incrementally added features allowing for smoother operation. BlackBerry is trying to nail every feature all at once in the span of <2 years. And to address Kit Kat, the super low end devices that run under 512 suck. They run "smooth" for rotating through home screens, app list, etc. But try putting it under any stress - it will lag. A lot. And same goes for iOS, which is why they sell products with more than 1GB of RAM.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 01:41 PM
    Adobe Air + Android Runtime + BlackBerry 10?

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 01:53 PM