10-11-19 06:56 PM
51 123
tools
    Best way to get prepared is go buy an iphone or Android. Start using those.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-19 12:44 AM
    Is there any more news about the final BB10 update to prepare old devices for unsupported operation?
    07-17-19 04:05 AM
    Best way to get prepared is go buy an iphone or Android. Start using those.

Posted via CB10
    Or use an MS live account with BB10 (and your Android/ios phones and still old Symbian devices) to get cloudsupport for notes, contacts, calendar.
    07-17-19 05:30 AM
    Is there any more news about the final BB10 update to prepare old devices for unsupported operation?
    I highly doubt it will ever happen.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    07-17-19 08:41 AM
    It will come via email as CB Forum contact point for conite and TrumpetTiger with just the number 42 in the subject line.
    ppeters914 and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    07-17-19 09:33 AM
    Hey Zedd,

This is a popular rumor, but there actually will not be an update needed for "unsupported" operation as the only thing shutting down, contrary to extremely popular belief amongst some on Crackberry, is Blackberry World. All other services will continue to operate as normal, and even if for some reason lightning should strike Blackberry Limited's data centers and atomize everything it is confirmed that BB10 devices can function without any Blackberry Limited-provided services.
    07-17-19 09:37 AM
    It will come via email as CB Forum contact point for conite and TrumpetTiger with just the number 42 in the subject line.
    Forget the contact point...I'll give anyone who wants it for BB10 support purposes my contact info right now. Just hit me up via PM and I'll be happy to oblige you...
    07-17-19 09:38 AM
    Forget the contact point...I'll give anyone who wants it for BB10 support purposes my contact info right now. Just hit me up via PM and I'll be happy to oblige you...
    In your zealousness, you missed the subtle humor attempt on my part.......

LMAO
    07-17-19 10:01 AM

LMAO
    It's the CrackBerry SPAM filters... it sometimes catches humor and sarcasm.
    07-17-19 10:05 AM

LMAO
    Oh no, I got it. I just wanted to make my point anyway for any BB10 CB newbies or others that may not appreciate your humor.

Go back to your trailer Chuckford...I see the Tigersignal in the distance. The citizens of Gotham need me....

Posted via CB10
    07-17-19 10:16 AM
    In all probability they will pull the plug on everything. Why not send a last update and get rid of the entire battery hogging app that may continue to draw in background without effectively offering anything. A dumb phone with big battery might serve some purpose for few.
    09-23-19 12:08 PM
    In all probability they will pull the plug on everything. Why not send a last update and get rid of the entire battery hogging app that may continue to draw in background without effectively offering anything. A dumb phone with big battery might serve some purpose for few.
    What battery hogging app are you referring to?
    09-23-19 01:37 PM
    All the built in stock apps. I am thinking a really lean and stripped OS devoid of programs that connect to Blackberry servers. I understand SMS and dialer will be there, not sure about built in email app.
    09-23-19 02:15 PM
    honestly without email the device becomes pretty useless to 99.999% of the people out there i think. Just buy a feature phone at that point. You still need a contacts app obviously as well otherwise the phone part doesnt have much purpose either.
    09-23-19 02:21 PM
    All the built in stock apps. I am thinking a really lean and stripped OS devoid of programs that connect to Blackberry servers. I understand SMS and dialer will be there, not sure about built in email app.
    Email is not dependent on BlackBerry servers, so that should be ok, too. Of course, as email standards continue to evolve and change, the email functionality might eventually break due to obsolescence.
    09-23-19 02:25 PM
    What makes you think the BB10 hub, contacts, and calendar apps hog battery? Their use doesn't even register.
    09-23-19 02:35 PM
    I am used to the slow break down on BB10 now. As someone who doesn’t create or consume online content I will be happy to use BB10 for simple hub and email. On my passport handling emails and attachments from SD card is very convenient; that really takes care of my 75% phone usage. All said, I sometime air out my old Z10 and people ask me if I have bought a new phone because they are able to reach me instantly unlike on Passport where it is a norm to make it ring after 2-3 tries. That is BB10 quirks for most of us here. I totally get the obsolescence part and eventual doomsday.
    09-23-19 02:41 PM
    I am thinking, Amazon app store, Maps, Linkedin, Evernote Dropbox, Assistant, Twitter, Facebook and alike apps taken away to de-clutter the UI even though they all can be removed manually. I am not a techie so my understanding is pretty fragmented.
    09-23-19 02:48 PM
    I am thinking, Amazon app store, Maps, Linkedin, Evernote Dropbox, Assistant, Twitter, Facebook and alike apps taken away to de-clutter the UI even though they all can be removed manually. I am not a techie so my understanding is pretty fragmented.
    None of those use battery unless they're running.

Just sign out of them (if they still even work), and tuck them away in a junk folder.
    09-23-19 03:21 PM
    Out of all those, only the Amazon App Store, Maps and the Assistant can't be deleted. All those others, I dump with every OS reload. Except for Evernote, which I do use - even on my "no longer in daily service, but still keep alive" Z10.

LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and Foursquare are very easy to delete. Just hold a finger on the icons until they start wiggling, then hit the trash can icon, and - poof - they are gone.

I do agree that it would be nice if BlackBerry provided an update to release the OS dependence on back-end services, but none of it is really any kind of resource hog.

Right now, my Z10 is still on its original battery from 2013, and living just on Wi-Fi, syncing one outlook.com email account, and the bPod podcast app, I get 3 days with occasional CrackBerry browsing. Now, if I started using it normally, like when my 10-year-old plays with the Story Maker app, the battery will die a quick death. Point is, the background services barely use anything.

Disabling the cellular service on the phone (since the SIM is no longer active) was what gave me the greatest battery life. Imagine when I get a new battery in it one day.
    09-23-19 03:36 PM
    to cut the idiocy, fearmongering and "oh no the world is ending I need to upgrayde to Googlogle Android and Windows 14!"

>I still use an WIN-XP notebook
    I still use XP pro on a Thinkpad X60 too. It will bury us all.

- will it be operationable, regarding phone calls, SMS, Email, web browsing, GPS
    yes
    - can I switch off & on my phone
    yes
    - will the already installed software continue to function,
    yes
    - can I reset my Z10 to factory setting
    yes
    - after reset can restore software and BB-OS
    yes
    - can I entirely backup my Z10 to my PC/Mac (how?)
    just use the blackberry software if needed.
    - can I access (where?) and backup the APK install files fom my Z10
    on the SD card.
    - can I backup & restore my current BB10.3 or access a fresh one it elsewhere?e )
    use the SD card or a USB cable.
    - This is my suspicion of interupted BB servics:
    BB-maps, BBM, BBWorld, BBProtect, OS-Update, SIotwareupdates, Payment-Options,
    you don't need these services. you should not even use these services.
    - how about BB-ID related apps/function as BB-Link an/or BB-Blend?
    Yes, but if really your blackberry store goes down, i'm sure there's plenty of alternatives in .apk format to these programs. apkpure and sites like that are your friends.
    BB10 by design is like running windows exes on wine. You don't risk any attack.

- is there any third party expected to take over 'olb' BB10 services?
    the very point of owning a BlackBerry is to be completely disconnected to all those services.

- other I need to know?
    you're using the last real Blackberry, this is not an iPhone or an Android which like, requires your account and have a planned end of life. Nothing will change, even in ten years.

Sorry for the lengthy post for a topic which probably have been though here several times, but I just 'woke up' now.
    No worries, you can go back to bed.

It's not because you have internet or Wikipedia you shouldn't read paper books, or it's not because you have Krita and Photoshop you shouldn't draw with paper and a pencil.
    archdenn likes this.
    09-24-19 06:23 AM
    to cut the idiocy, fearmongering and "oh no the world is ending I need to upgrayde to Googlogle Android and Windows 14!"

>I still use an WIN-XP notebook
    I still use XP pro on a Thinkpad X60 too. It will bury us all.

- will it be operationable, regarding phone calls, SMS, Email, web browsing, GPS
    yes
    - can I switch off & on my phone
    yes
    - will the already installed software continue to function,
    yes
    - can I reset my Z10 to factory setting
    yes
    - after reset can restore software and BB-OS
    yes
    - can I entirely backup my Z10 to my PC/Mac (how?)
    just use the blackberry software if needed.
    - can I access (where?) and backup the APK install files fom my Z10
    on the SD card.
    - can I backup & restore my current BB10.3 or access a fresh one it elsewhere?e )
    use the SD card or a USB cable.
    - This is my suspicion of interupted BB servics:
    BB-maps, BBM, BBWorld, BBProtect, OS-Update, SIotwareupdates, Payment-Options,
    you don't need these services. you should not even use these services.
    - how about BB-ID related apps/function as BB-Link an/or BB-Blend?
    Yes, but if really your blackberry store goes down, i'm sure there's plenty of alternatives in .apk format to these programs. apkpure and sites like that are your friends.
    BB10 by design is like running windows exes on wine. You don't risk any attack.

- is there any third party expected to take over 'olb' BB10 services?
    the very point of owning a BlackBerry is to be completely disconnected to all those services.

- other I need to know?
    you're using the last real Blackberry, this is not an iPhone or an Android which like, requires your account and have a planned end of life. Nothing will change, even in ten years.

Sorry for the lengthy post for a topic which probably have been though here several times, but I just 'woke up' now.
    No worries, you can go back to bed.

It's not because you have internet or Wikipedia you shouldn't read paper books, or it's not because you have Krita and Photoshop you shouldn't draw with paper and a pencil.
    So you don’t think BB10 eventually just breaks from compatibility issues and security blocks from websites?
    09-24-19 09:20 AM
    I do think and can assure you it's hardly gonna happen, unless there are new versions of Wi-Fi protocols that would not be retrocompatible ( which is hardly believable. Even my 2006 ThinkPad connects pefectly on modern WiFi ABGN networks...

On the browser issue, just install and use Fennec/Firefox mobile/Waterfox, which is my main mobile browser. It is well maintained.

Maybe in the decade to come however things will be really different, 5G could have its own authentication, and the actual devices, phone, tablets, computers will not be able to use a tech designed to be retrocompatible, at this point, just stop using a phone, my next communication device shall be that President Jackson CB.
    joeragan likes this.
    09-30-19 03:47 PM
    Stop being dramatic. No apocalypse will happen on December 31.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-19 05:08 PM
    Stop being dramatic. No apocalypse will happen on December 31.

Posted via CB10
    It was just a funny play on words.
    archdenn likes this.
    10-11-19 05:41 PM
51 123