10-11-19 06:56 PM
51 123
tools
    Hello,
    is there anywhere int the forum a condensed summary what Blackberry's announcement means for BB10 after 31.12.2019? Is there a kind of 'manual' (at crackberry or elsewhere) to get prepared for beyond 31.12? I am a bit confused about various statement regarding the operability of my Z10. As long as my Z10 works I don't hesitate to operate an unsupported phone. I still use an WIN-XP notebook for tax declarations and a Vista-notebook as a spare surf PC.
    My sole technical questions for BB10 beyond 31.12. are
    - will it be operationable, regarding phone calls, SMS, Email, web browsing, GPS
    - can I switch off & on my phone
    - will the already installed software continue to function,
    (those which does not rely on further BB related services)
    - can I reset my Z10 to factory setting
    - after reset can restore software and BB-OS
    - can I entirely backup my Z10 to my PC/Mac (how?)
    - can I access (where?) and backup the APK install files fom my Z10
    - can I backup & restore my current BB10.3 or access a fresh one it elsewhere?e )
    ( thanks, I have noticed the sticky thread here )
    - This is my suspicion of interupted BB servics:
    BB-maps, BBM, BBWorld, BBProtect, OS-Update, SIotwareupdates, Payment-Options,
    - how about BB-ID related apps/function as BB-Link an/or BB-Blend?
    - is there any third party expected to take over 'olb' BB10 services?
    - other I need to know?
    Sorry for the lengthy post for a topic which probably have been though here several times, but I just 'woke up' now.

Thanks, Mac-Chatter
    06-29-19 04:54 AM
    It's hard to know the extent and timing of service shutdowns.

As of now, officially, only BlackBerry World is going to be switched off on Jan 1st - which means you will not be able to get back any 3rd party native apps if you ever reset your device. The exception would be if the developer made the file available for sideloading.

If and when BBID eventually throws in the towel, as long as you have turned off BlackBerry Protect prior, you should be fine. The caveat to that is that BlackBerry Link will no longer be able to backup or restore your device - you'll have to do that manually.
    bibbula likes this.
    06-29-19 06:24 AM
    It's hard to know the extent and timing of service shutdowns.

As of now, officially, only BlackBerry World is going to be switched off on Jan 1st - which means you will not be able to get back any 3rd party native apps if you ever reset your device. The exception would be if the developer made the file available for sideloading.

If and when BBID eventually throws in the towel, as long as you have turned off BlackBerry Protect prior, you should be fine. The caveat to that is that BlackBerry Link will no longer be able to backup or restore your device - you'll have to do that manually.
    You forgot the canned rations and the freeze dried sustenance...
    zombiecupcake likes this.
    06-29-19 06:57 AM
    Vista? Seriously?
    06-29-19 08:46 AM
    The only thing we know FOR SURE that will be going down is BB World. And it may well be that nothing else happens.

However, it's also possible that other servers or services may be discontinued as well - some on 1/1/2020 and perhaps some after that, or even before. What we KNOW is that once the EOL date comes and goes, BB is under no further obligation to even NOTIFY anyone about services going down, which means things may go away with no notice, even before the EOL date but certainly at any time after.

And it must be remembered that BB phones are not like other phones in the past who have lost OEM services: BB's extra security and encryption was never designed to work without BB services, and so lots of things will break BADLY and PERMANENTLY when that eventually happens.

So... I recommend in the strongest possible way that you either use cloud backup for all of your contacts, calendar, pictures, music, videos, documents, and app data, OR, you need to be regularly backing up that data manually to a NON-encrypted drive that is OFF-device (meaning: to a hard drive or USB drive or something that isn't attached to the phone). If you aren't doing this, IMO it's only a matter of time before you experience permanent data loss, and with encrypted data, if ANYTHING goes wrong with the encrypted volume, those files are gone FOREVER unless they've been manually backed up in unencrypted format - and specifically into formats that can be imported by other, non-BB10 apps (your contacts, for example). And make sure you can actually read the files from that backup - as one member recently discovered, if you move files off an encrypted drive externally (instead of logging into the phone and using an app on your phone to do so), that file is still encrypted and is useless off the phone. AND, by MOVING it instead of just copying it, there was no way to recover that data, ever.

Backing up your data will not change your ability to keep using BB10 if you choose to do so - it will just ensure that if a day comes when your device no longer works (whether it breaks, is damaged, is lost/stolen, or just services aren't available), you won't lose much if any data.

If you aren't manually backup up this data (or using cloud sync), then eventual data loss is virtually guaranteed - and no one wants that. But only YOU can ensure the safety of YOUR data - no one else is going to be able to help you if you don't.
    06-30-19 11:19 PM
    The only thing we know FOR SURE that will be going down is BB World. And it may well be that nothing else happens.

However, it's also possible that other servers or services may be discontinued as well - some on 1/1/2020 and perhaps some after that, or even before. What we KNOW is that once the EOL date comes and goes, BB is under no further obligation to even NOTIFY anyone about services going down, which means things may go away with no notice, even before the EOL date but certainly at any time after.

And it must be remembered that BB phones are not like other phones in the past who have lost OEM services: BB's extra security and encryption was never designed to work without BB services, and so lots of things will break BADLY and PERMANENTLY when that eventually happens.

So... I recommend in the strongest possible way that you either use cloud backup for all of your contacts, calendar, pictures, music, videos, documents, and app data, OR, you need to be regularly backing up that data manually to a NON-encrypted drive that is OFF-device (meaning: to a hard drive or USB drive or something that isn't attached to the phone). If you aren't doing this, IMO it's only a matter of time before you experience permanent data loss, and with encrypted data, if ANYTHING goes wrong with the encrypted volume, those files are gone FOREVER unless they've been manually backed up in unencrypted format - and specifically into formats that can be imported by other, non-BB10 apps (your contacts, for example). And make sure you can actually read the files from that backup - as one member recently discovered, if you move files off an encrypted drive externally (instead of logging into the phone and using an app on your phone to do so), that file is still encrypted and is useless off the phone. AND, by MOVING it instead of just copying it, there was no way to recover that data, ever.

Backing up your data will not change your ability to keep using BB10 if you choose to do so - it will just ensure that if a day comes when your device no longer works (whether it breaks, is damaged, is lost/stolen, or just services aren't available), you won't lose much if any data.

If you aren't manually backup up this data (or using cloud sync), then eventual data loss is virtually guaranteed - and no one wants that. But only YOU can ensure the safety of YOUR data - no one else is going to be able to help you if you don't.
    This post should be pinned on the front page of crackberry news for a while

Many BB10 users may not know what's coming and should be aware asap to back up their data before it may be too late.
    anon(10218918) and ppeters914 like this.
    06-30-19 11:21 PM
    This post should be pinned on the front page of crackberry news for a while

Many BB10 users may not know what's coming and should be aware asap to back up their data before it may be too late.
    I'd be willing to re-write it to make it a bit more front-page friendly if those in charge would like.

I really, REALLY hate data loss, even someone else's. It's an awful thing to happen.
    06-30-19 11:33 PM
    Hello,
    is there anywhere int the forum a condensed summary what Blackberry's announcement means for BB10 after 31.12.2019? Is there a kind of 'manual' (at crackberry or elsewhere) to get prepared for beyond 31.12? I am a bit confused about various statement regarding the operability of my Z10. As long as my Z10 works I don't hesitate to operate an unsupported phone. I still use an WIN-XP notebook for tax declarations and a Vista-notebook as a spare surf PC.
    - will it be operationable, regarding phone calls, SMS, Email, web browsing, GPS YES
    - can I switch off & on my phone YES
    (those which does not rely on further BB related services) YES
    - can I reset my Z10 to factory setting YES
    - after reset can restore software and BB-OS NO
    - can I entirely backup my Z10 to my PC/Mac (how?) NO
    - can I access (where?) and backup the APK install files fom my Z10 YES - if you manualy copy or back up the orgianl APK install files
    - can I backup & restore my current BB10.3 or access a fresh one it elsewhere?e ) YES
    - This is my suspicion of interupted BB servics: Sounds possible
    - how about BB-ID related apps/function as BB-Link an/or BB-Blend? IF BBID goes away, these will no longer function with our device.
    - is there any third party expected to take over 'olb' BB10 services? NO
    - other I need to know?
    Sorry for the lengthy post for a topic which probably have been though here several times, but I just 'woke up' now.

Thanks, Mac-Chatter
    In the end we don't know if or when other services will end... it's just best to be prepared for the worst - which really everyone should always do. What if you lost your phone today, is your data accessible to you without the hardware or without new BB10 hardware?
    07-01-19 10:20 AM
    It would be useful if someone would provide instructions on how to side load software like Ultimate Back Up including how to back up the software for later side loading.
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-01-19 03:48 PM
    It would be useful if someone would provide instructions on how to side load software like Ultimate Back Up including how to back up the software for later side loading.
    Search is all you need.... instruction on sideloading go back to the PlayBook days or early BB10 days.

If you need Ultimate Backup, buy it here... Buy BlackBerry 10 Apps then email support and they'll send you the file and instructions.

But, it's not a full backup option... so be clear on what it does and does not offer before shelling out $10.
    07-01-19 04:00 PM
    But, it's not a full backup option... so be clear on what it does and does not offer before shelling out $10.
    I didn't think there was a full back up option. Would you recommend something else?
    07-01-19 04:04 PM
    Here's the how-to on that Don:

1. Go to the link DDD mentioned:

Buy BlackBerry 10 Apps

2. Pay Runisoft for the app via PayPal (trust me, it's worth the $10).

3. They will provide you a redeem code in Blackberry World.

4. Go to Ultimate Backup in Blackberry World; swipe down from the top to access the Redeem option.

5. Enter the code they give you.

6. The app will begin downloading.

As for backing up the .bar for later sideloading, that's one of the apps I'm working on getting released for exactly that purpose. Hang in there...
    07-01-19 04:06 PM
    Hello,
    - will it be operationable, regarding phone calls, SMS, Email, web browsing, GPS
    - after reset can restore software and BB-OS
    - can I access (where?) and backup the APK install files fom my Z10
    - can I backup & restore my current BB10.3 or access a fresh one it elsewhere?e )
    - other I need to know?

Thanks, Mac-Chatter
    Hey Mac,

As others have noted, the only service known to shut down on 12/31/2019 is Blackberry World. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest anything else whatsoever will stop working, despite many conflicting stories and posts in various parts of the Internet. While Troy is absolutely right that you should have multiple backups of your data and files (which can be done via Link/Sachesi/DBBT or Ultimate Backup, or even directly to cloud storage via Remote File Access or mapping your Z10 as a network drive), please rest easy in the knowledge that everything other than Blackberry World should keep working without a problem.

To address your specific concerns:

Yes.

Yes.

Absolutely. As mentioned, BB services will still be present...but even if for some obscure reason they were not available your apps will keep working without them.

Yes, using autoloaders, which are available many places online, including on request from many CB users.

- after reset can restore software and BB-OS [/quote}

Yes, using autoloaders (which contain the entire OS and all pre-installed native apps).

You can use Blackberry Link/Sachesi/Darcy's Blackberry Tools. However, if for some reason those were not to function, you could use Ultimate Backup and then map your Blackberry as a network drive to back up to your PC and from there to the cloud storage solution of your choice.
    - can I access (where?) and backup the APK install files fom my Z10 [/quote]

The APKs will still be in whatever folder you saved them to when downloading (probably Downloads on your device) and can be backed up via the above methods just like any other file.

Yes, via methods described above.

I'm not sure what "Slotwareupdates" are, and Payment Options has already been shut down as of March 2018, but otherwise the only one that will be interrupted is Blackberry World.

These will also continue to work based on Blackberry Limited's statements to date.

They'll still be run by Blackberry Limited other than Blackberry World, but the answer to BBW would be not at this time.

- other I need to know?
    Keep calm, carry on, and PM the BB10 faithful here on CB if you need more information.
    07-01-19 04:16 PM
    I didn't think there was a full back up option. Would you recommend something else?
    Ultimate Backup handles all files and PIM data, but it doesn't do native apps unfortunately. There is not a way of doing that outside of Blackberry Link/Sachesi/DBBT at the moment, so there would be no better solution if you're looking specifically for that functionality.
    07-01-19 04:18 PM
    As for backing up the .bar for later sideloading, that's one of the apps I'm working on getting released for exactly that purpose. Hang in there...
    I already have it. I understand that there is no way to do side "unloading".
    07-01-19 04:24 PM
    I already have it. I understand that there is no way to do side "unloading".
    Ah, you already have the app installed. Sweet; hopefully the how-to helps others.
    07-01-19 04:27 PM

What do you need backed up?

Me... I used the cloud.
    All my accounts synced - so email, contacts, calendar were available across all my devices.
    Content - Photos, Videos and Documents were all synced via OneDrive (not sure about that option now).
    Apps - there were a few that had their own "export" option that I made sure got put in the fold that OneDrive synced. But if there is no way to install an app later on, not much point in backing up it's data, unless it's in a "open" format.

I had Ultimate Backup, but I never used it in the later years of using my Z10 as it wasn't necessary for my usage.

There are some free options out there for specific data... like contacts, text.
    07-01-19 04:28 PM
    These will also continue to work based on Blackberry Limited's statements to date.
    BlackBerry Software Support Life Cycle
    • The product will no longer be supported by BlackBerry
    • There will be no new versions of software
    • No software patches, security fixes or workarounds will be generated to resolve any product issues
    • BlackBerry Technical Support will no longer accept or troubleshoot issues directly related to the OS or application

That could be a very board statement.

If you use history, PlayBook and all BBOS devices are EOL and have been for over a year now. Services still working.

I'd watch the next few months... if BBMo goes away and BlackBerry doesn't need a device division at all, I don't see there being a budget for legacy support of devices. If PIE comes to the KEY2, and the KEY3 comes and some of those other licensee start doing more than the have... might be money to keep a server or two running and a developer of many hats in their employ.
    07-01-19 04:51 PM
    OneDrive
    Android OneDrive will still work but not without some hassle installing it.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-01-19 04:52 PM
    BlackBerry Software Support Life Cycle
    • The product will no longer be supported by BlackBerry
    • There will be no new versions of software
    • No software patches, security fixes or workarounds will be generated to resolve any product issues
    • BlackBerry Technical Support will no longer accept or troubleshoot issues directly related to the OS or application

That could be a very board statement.

If you use history, PlayBook and all BBOS devices are EOL and have been for over a year now. Services still working.

I'd watch the next few months... if BBMo goes away and BlackBerry doesn't need a device division at all, I don't see there being a budget for legacy support of devices. If PIE comes to the KEY2, and the KEY3 comes and some of those other licensee start doing more than the have... might be money to keep a server or two running and a developer of many hats in their employ.
    This seems like a fairly specific statement:

"While we are pleased to announce continuing support for BB10 and BBOS users for at least another two years, current device owners should be aware that we will be closing some ancillary services such as the BlackBerry World app store (12/31/2019), the BlackBerry Travel site (February 2018), and the Playbook video calling service (March 2018)."

Source:
    https://blogs.blackberry.com/2017/12...g-your-loyalty

I second your point regarding history. Additionally, since Blackberry Limited just opened up BBM Enterprise to consumers, and the servers required to authenticate BBIDs for those are the same ones used for BBIDs for B10, it seems unlikely they would close those down after just 6 months. (That is admittedly anecdotal evidence to the primary source linked above.)
    07-01-19 05:23 PM
    Dear BB10 community,

I thank you all very much for the many in depth replies. I am happy to hear I can use my BB10 without the fear of a sudden death after 31.Dec. Except my moderate contact folder there is not much important personal data on it. I should check how back it up on the SIM card.

I like my Z10 because its 'Handy' size and because the Hub, security management, its general simplicity and at least I got used to it. In my prof. Life I just received a Andriod company phone after WinPhone was abandoned - a nightmare (Company-Android).

Greets. Mac-Chatter

Posted via CB10
    07-16-19 07:42 AM
    Dear BB10 community,

I thank you all very much for the many in depth replies. I am happy to hear I can use my BB10 without the fear of a sudden death after 31.Dec. Except my moderate contact folder there is not much important personal data on it. I should check how back it up on the SIM card.

I like my Z10 because its 'Handy' size and because the Hub, security management, its general simplicity and at least I got used to it. In my prof. Life I just received a Andriod company phone after WinPhone was abandoned - a nightmare (Company-Android).

Greets. Mac-Chatter

Posted via CB10
    Personally I like using newer (last 10 years or so) email accounts that sync data - and that's were my contacts live so I can access them across multiple devices. I do still back them up to a encrypted zip file that I save in my OneDrive folder. But I avoid using the SIM as a location for contacts, as that can get messy if you do have other accounts.

Use to be there was a limit on what info could be saved and how many contact could be stored on the SIM. I hear some today will hold up to 600 Contacts...
    07-16-19 10:41 AM
    Use to be there was a limit on what info could be saved and how many contact could be stored on the SIM. I hear some today will hold up to 600 Contacts...
    SIM contacts are just name and phone number - no emails, addresses, notes, or anything else. IMO, it's a very poor way to try to save a contact. I strongly recommend an open format that could be imported into any email program, device, or app, assuming you aren't using cloud sync, which is the best option of all.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    07-16-19 11:10 AM
    The Moon will leave orbit, on a heading for Venus.
    07-16-19 05:24 PM
    SIM contacts are just name and phone number - no emails, addresses, notes, or anything else. IMO, it's a very poor way to try to save a contact. I strongly recommend an open format that could be imported into any email program, device, or app, assuming you aren't using cloud sync, which is the best option of all.
    Yeah, I learned this the hard way.

Bottom line: Do *NOT* store Contacts on SIM.
    07-16-19 09:06 PM
51 123