For the longest time it's seemed as though a native Windows boot was the only way to use AutoLoaders to load leaked OSs. But I can tell you for sure that this is not the case. All you have to do is set up a USB device filter with BB's vendor ID for the USB connection. I am using VirtualBox and cannot speak to other virtualization software, but it works with VB so I don't see why it wouldn't with VM Ware or others.

Appologies if this info is already out there and well known, but if not; I thought I'd share.
    menshawy and m3mb3rsh1p like this.
    11-11-14 12:15 AM
    Nice share...

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 12:21 AM
    I couldn't get it to work 100% of the time with Virtual Box so I gave up.

I wish I could afford the Z10 upgrade
    11-11-14 12:37 AM
    Specific filter setup appears to be a VBox thing.

Would love someone on an actual Linux install to confirm.
    11-11-14 12:48 AM
    Well I'm excited to see this, but you're all speaking Greek. Would anyone be willing to dumb this down with some step-by-step instructions for a complete ***** like me?

I've been able to do installs with autoloaders, as well as Sachesi, on Windows, but only when it was presented in a Step 1, Step 2, etc. fashion.

Posted via CB10 app, Verizon Q10, 10.3.0.1052
    11-11-14 01:30 AM
    Well I'm excited to see this, but you're all speaking Greek. Would anyone be willing to dumb this down with some step-by-step instructions for a complete ***** like me?

I've been able to do installs with autoloaders, as well as Sachesi, on Windows, but only when it was presented in a Step 1, Step 2, etc. fashion.

Posted via CB10 app, Verizon Q10, 10.3.0.1052
    If you don't understand this you should stay away from Linux.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport with OS 10.3.1.1016
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    11-11-14 02:41 AM
    For the longest time it's seemed as though a native Windows boot was the only way to use AutoLoaders to load leaked OSs. But I can tell you for sure that this is not the case. All you have to do is set up a USB device filter with BB's vendor ID for the USB connection. I am using VirtualBox and cannot speak to other virtualization software, but it works with VB so I don't see why it wouldn't with VM Ware or others.

http://i.imgur.com/PEiW8bp.png

http://i.imgur.com/MtJEeVg.png

Appologies if this info is already out there and well known, but if not; I thought I'd share.
    Could you do a quick tutorial please?

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 02:45 AM
    I have been using Autoloaders in Linux since the very first autoloaders were available.
    It's still using Windows though. Just Linux host.

It works in VMWare and VirtualBox and you do not need any special settings.

Just enable USB 2.0 passthroughs (disabled by default?), connect the device, go to Devices menu up top and choose the Blackberry device.
    toobs623 and bungaboy like this.
    11-11-14 03:46 AM
    PLEASE CHANGE TITLE OF THREAD!!!

This is NOT "Auto Loaders work on Linux & Mac"

This is "Auto Loaders work in Windows virtually running on Linux & Mac". You still need Windows!!!

This is not real solution for Linux users. Return back with on Wine running solution.
    S Valmont and bhjones like this.
    11-11-14 06:05 AM

http://i.imgur.com/PEiW8bp.png

http://i.imgur.com/MtJEeVg.png

Thanks!

Interesting solution, potentially, to a problem that has been out there forever, or at least since BB switched its ownUSB technology coinciding with the change from mini-USB to micro-USB adapters. (Please no posts telling me that mini and micro are the same and have nothing to do with this--I know that--but the fact is that it was always possible to autoload in Windows, using Parallels or VMWare Fusion, on the BBs that used the old mini-USB connectors, but with the Bold, as I recall, they started using USB Micros, and autoload from a VM no longer worked. Coincidence? I don't know.)

Meanwhile, in my Parallels 10 (latest version) on a Mac with Yosemite, there is no USB device filter that I can find. I've DLed Virtual Box but don't have any way to make a new Windows VM from it, as it doesn't seem to be able to create one from Boot Camp the way Parallels and Fusion do. (I'm open to suggestions.)

Right now, I have to boot into Boot Camp Windows 8.1 to autoload.

If you know any method for using a USB device filter on Parallels or Fusion, please let us all know. And if that worked, it would solve a big issue for a lot of people.
    11-11-14 03:07 PM
    It works... I havent used a "native" Windows machine like in 10 years... If you do not want to play with filters, the other (not so smart idea) is to keep manually capturing the correct USB to the Virtualbox (just that you need to be quick and you need to so it 2 times: when the phone boots - red led on and the just after the autoloader has loaded the first part on the phone when the led becomes green)...

Windows deserves at most a VirtualBox instance for playing with the autoloaders and some tax application ...
    11-11-14 03:15 PM
    Still totaly wrong/lie title - please FIX it!

Right text is: " CONFIRMED! Auto Loaders work in virtual Windows (probably)! "

Because many Windows apps/games work in real under Linux via Wine API convertor. Not emulation, not virtual machine. Wine.
    But Auto Loaders NOT work on Linux.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Kaacz; 12-13-14 at 04:53 AM.
    11-11-14 03:56 PM
    It works... I havent used a "native" Windows machine like in 10 years... If you do not want to play with filters, the other (not so smart idea) is to keep manually capturing the correct USB to the Virtualbox (just that you need to be quick and you need to so it 2 times: when the phone boots - red led on and the just after the autoloader has loaded the first part on the phone when the led becomes green)...

Windows deserves at most a VirtualBox instance for playing with the autoloaders and some tax application ...
    No need to mess with filters to have it auto-connect. Just add it to the automatic / filters section when it's already connected from the first time you manually did it.
    11-11-14 08:07 PM
    So what libraries do the autoloaders use that wine does not fully support. If it is the drivers themselves, then this would be more difficult as they would need to be wrapped somehow to windows usb api with Linux usb libraries. This might be a thing the community could pay someone to do.
    11-12-14 09:56 AM
    Kudos for using Arch Linux! I love that distro.
    11-12-14 10:43 AM
    So what libraries do the autoloaders use that wine does not fully support. If it is the drivers themselves, then this would be more difficult as they would need to be wrapped somehow to windows usb api with Linux usb libraries. This might be a thing the community could pay someone to do.
    It is the driver itself. It talks directly to the Windows USB driver. The software you'll want working is Blackberry Device Manager.
    11-12-14 06:30 PM
    i'm using virtualbox but the autoloader stops at "connectig to bootroom". Why?
    12-12-14 10:18 AM
    i'm using virtualbox but the autoloader stops at "connectig to bootroom". Why?
    Are you:

1) Disconnecting the device from the USB port and turning it completely off
    2) Running the Autoloader and waiting for the "Connecting to Bootrom:" prompt
    3) Plugging the device into the USB port (don't turn the power on before doing this, it will turn on itself because of the Autoloader)

in that order? You may be required to specify the exact filter for the specific device as noted in a post above (since you're using VirtualBox).
    12-12-14 12:37 PM
    I don't know about Virtual Box and Windows on a Mac, but I'm pretty certain that Parallels and VMWare Fusion Windows VMs do NOT work with autoloaders. (Linux VMs may--never tried it.) There are no USB settings I know of in Parallels and probably not in Fusion that will enable the BB to hold onto the USB connection with an autoloader.

I will be happy--very happy--to be proven wrong, because it's a pain to have to boot into Boot Camp when I want to run an autoloader.
    12-12-14 02:56 PM
    Just compile sachesi for you favorite flavor of linux and call it a day

Posted from the Q10, because glass just doesn't cut it.
    69goat likes this.
    12-12-14 06:37 PM
    i solved the problem with a windows pc. it doesn't work under vm, sorry.
    12-12-14 07:21 PM
    Just compile sachesi for you favorite flavor of linux and call it a day

Posted from the Q10, because glass just doesn't cut it.
    Correct, this works on os x also.
    12-13-14 05:14 AM
    I don't know about Virtual Box and Windows on a Mac, but I'm pretty certain that Parallels and VMWare Fusion Windows VMs do NOT work with autoloaders. (Linux VMs may--never tried it.) There are no USB settings I know of in Parallels and probably not in Fusion that will enable the BB to hold onto the USB connection with an autoloader.

I will be happy--very happy--to be proven wrong, because it's a pain to have to boot into Boot Camp when I want to run an autoloader.
    Let me resurrect this thread.

Does Windows in Parallels have to "hold on to the connection" or simply always autoconnect to the Windows when running in Parallels? There is a setting for Parallels to always connect to a particular USB device when it is connected.
    Last edited by PHughes; 03-01-15 at 06:42 PM.
    03-01-15 05:43 PM