I did a non destructive update to 10.3.0.1154 from 10.3.1054. I was experiencing battery drain for the last two weeks or so. By mid day my z30 would be at 35%, and by 7 at night I was in need of recharge, I did a backup and clean install. The issue went, its almost 6 and I have 74% left. Took it off the charger in the morning. ..... just pointing out my experience

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 05:34 PM
    I had the pretty same experience than you. Had a battery drain after a non-destructive install, that has been fixed after a clean install.

My Q10 works perfectly now
    09-13-14 05:44 PM
    Think logically a device that has a clean install of an OS would obviously run faster then an os that has been upgraded non destructively. It's like comparing old and new.

Posted via CB10
    Anrchyst likes this.
    09-13-14 05:48 PM
    A clean install has none of the cache and cookies downloaded during the previous time in use. Also would have no username and passwords saved and have to be re-entered.
    Both have their benefits.
    If your phone runs smoothly enough for you then a nondestructive update would work fine...
    If not running smoothly then a fresh install would probably be a better choice.
    Also a nondestructive update needs an os+radio+ apps update...not just os+radio to run properly.

P.S. I did a Sachesi non destructive update and my Z10 is awesome.
    CrackBerry Genius on Verizon Z10 on 10.3.0.1154
    09-13-14 08:30 PM
    I always go with a clean install.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 08:39 PM
    My experience with non destruction has been much better compare clean install and restoring thru link.

Prithvi thru CB10
    09-13-14 08:43 PM
    No backup, destructive and no restore. Of course, I don't have anything to backup or restore yet.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 08:48 PM
    So, I'll give this run-down again in this thread.

When Blackberry is developing a new OS (like 10.3) and it's in an alpha or beta stage, they have limited support for migrating settings from the previous OS (like 10.2) yet. That is, it might have bugs or might not be perfect.
    However, when the official OS is released, they make sure the settings migration should work perfectly because the OS is sent out to everyones phones OTA. Sachesi uses the same official OTA method.

So far for OS 10.3, they have only targeted Passport (Windermere) in their development. Passport never ran 10.2 so settings migration has been of even less importance for the team. 10.3 happens to work on other devices only because they have a similar CPU and the UI is mostly resolution independent. They are officially targeting other devices with 10.3.1 ONLY (not 10.3).

To give an idea:
    With Sachesi, upgrading OTA from OS 10.0 official to OS 10.2 official. When you do the full upgrade, the startup script runs on the first run of the new OS. It detects the 'Old OS' and 'New OS' and runs a script to migrate settings and folders. Blackberry makes sure this runs flawlessly because when they push out the new OS officially, everyone will see this new update appear on their device OTA and the migration has to run perfectly.

With a backup + autoloader wipe + restore, you do not have this settings migration -- ever! When the autoloader wipes, it sets old OS and new OS to the same value. Then when you restore your settings, it does not do the settings migration. If you look at the scripts in /scripts/settings, it doesn't appear to attempt to migrate the settings at all. So, if you then restore old settings from an older OS, they will simply be borked.

For the absolute cleanest experience, you probably wouldn't want to backup/restore your settings or applications (such as android) at all. Instead, use cloud syncing for contacts and calendar and just reinstall apps.
    This is for all operating systems and not isolated to Blackberry. However, I'd imagine that operating systems that are more stable and have less releases would have less issues with changing settings.

Here is an example of the migration scripts in /scripts/startup.sh of OS 10.3. There's about a hundred of these:
    Code:
    # Migration for bslauncher
    SERVICE_bslauncher_HANDLER_migrate_pps ()
    {
    	[ "${OS_VERSION}" == "${OS_RW_VERSION}" ] && return 0
    	[ -d "/pps/services/phone/private/lines" ] && chown phone-service:phone-service /pps/services/phone/private/lines/*
    	[ -d "/pps/services/phone/public/lines" ] && chown phone-service:phone-service /pps/services/phone/public/lines/*

cmp_version "10.2.0.924" "${OS_RW_VERSION}"
    	local os_rw_v="$?"
    	cmp_version "${OS_VERSION}" "${OS_RW_VERSION}"
    	local os_v="$?"
    	if (( os_rw_v == 1 && os_v == 1 )); then
    		Info "Migrating /pps/services/phone/app/smart_calling from seed"
    		cp -vpf ${BASE_SEED}/var/pps/services/phone/app/smart_calling /pps/services/phone/app/smart_calling
    	fi

[ -e "/pps/system/printd/data" ] && rm -f /pps/system/printd/data
    	[ -e "/pps/system/printd/status" ] && rm -f /pps/system/printd/status

[ -d "/pps/services/search/config" ] && rm -fr /pps/services/search/config

attributes="EnableAboveLock"
    	PPS_MERGE_OBJECT ${BASE_SEED}/var/pps/services/asr/settings /pps/services/asr/settings "${attributes}"
    }

# Migration for domainsunlocked
    SERVICE_accounts_HANDLER_migrate_domainsunlocked ()
    {
    	[ "${OS_VERSION}" == "${OS_RW_VERSION}" ] && return 0
    	Info "Doing accounts migration"
    	case "${OS_RW_VERSION}" in
    		(10.0.9.*) # FROM 10.0.9.* -> X.X.X
    			set -A gid $(ls -nd /accounts/1000/appdata/sys.airservices)
    			if (( ${gid[3]} != 133 )); then
    				chgrp -R 133 /accounts/1000/appdata/sys.airservices/
    			fi
    		;;
    		(*) #FROM X.X.X -> X.X.X
    			if [ ! -d /accounts/1000/shared/vvm ]; then
    				mkdir /accounts/1000/vvm
    				mkdir /accounts/1000/vvm/contacts
    				mkdir /accounts/1000/vvm/events
    				mkdir /accounts/1000/vvm/messages
    				chown -h vvm:visual_voicemail /accounts/1000/vvm
    				chown -h vvm:visual_voicemail /accounts/1000/vvm/contacts
    				chown -h vvm:visual_voicemail /accounts/1000/vvm/events
    				chown -h vvm:visual_voicemail /accounts/1000/vvm/messages
    				chmod 770 /accounts/1000/vvm
    				chmod 770 /accounts/1000/vvm/contacts
    				chmod 770 /accounts/1000/vvm/events
    				chmod 770 /accounts/1000/vvm/messages
    			fi
    		;;
    	esac
    }

##############################################################################
    ## Called after final sanity check (the upgrade/rollabck is done)           ##
    ## Update the destination OS/radio version, end time, and status in the     ##
    ## pps object                                                               ##
    ##############################################################################
    update_ota_pps_final()
    {
    	typeset session_cnt status time_end os_old os_new radio_old radio_new

session_cnt=$(PPS_VALUE ${PPS_OBJ} ${E_SESSION_COUNT})
    	if [[ -z ${session_cnt} ]]; then
    		# Not upgrading (the device hasn't ever been upgraded before)
    		return 0;
    	fi

status=$(PPS_VALUE ${PPS_OBJ} "S1_${E_STATUS}")
    	if [[ -z ${status} || ${status} != ${STATUS_INPROGRESS} ]]; then
    		# Currently the device is not under upgrade/rollback. Null status shouldn't happen
    		return 0;
    	fi

time_end=$(date)
    	if [[ -f "${BASEFS}/etc/os.version" ]]; then
    		os_new=$(< "${BASEFS}/etc/os.version")
    	else
    		os_new="0.0.0.0"
    	fi
    	if [[ -f "${RADIOFS}/etc/radio.version" ]]; then
    		radio_new=$(< "${RADIOFS}/etc/radio.version")
    	else
    		radio_new="0.0.0.0"
    	fi

os_old=$(PPS_VALUE ${PPS_OBJ} "S1_${E_OS_OLD}")
    	radio_old=$(PPS_VALUE ${PPS_OBJ} "S1_${E_RADIO_OLD}")
    	if [[ ${os_old} == ${os_new} && ${radio_old} == ${radio_new} ]]; then
    		status=${STATUS_ROLLBACK}
    	else
    		status=${STATUS_UPGRADED}
    	fi

echo "S1_${E_STATUS}::${status}\nS1_${E_TIME_END}::${time_end}\nS1_${E_OS_NEW}::${os_new}\nS1_${E_RADIO_NEW}::${radio_new}\n" >> ${PPS_OBJ}
    }
    Last edited by xsacha; 09-14-14 at 12:50 AM.
    Korepab, tdyhedge, yhamaie and 4 others like this.
    09-14-14 12:10 AM
    I always do a non-distructive upgrade and never suffer bad battery drain as can be seen below. Also I leave BT & WI-FI on 24/7.

Clean install vs non destructive experience.-img_20140913_232804.png

Posted by a Proud NRA Supporter!
    NightSlayer likes this.
    09-14-14 12:31 AM
    I always do non-destructive and so far it's been stable for me. The last time i did a destructive was from 10.1 official to leaked 10.2.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 09:11 PM
    in my experience installing leaked OS the 'non destructive' method is the most destructive, maybe just me...
    needforbbx likes this.
    09-15-14 06:07 AM
    I've been using sachesi to do non-destructive upgrade on all releases from 10.2.1.1xxx to 10.2.2.xxxx to 10.3.0.1xxxx. Never had any issue. If you have any weird issues, please try to do a hard-reboot by holding down [Volume Up]+[Volume Down] button for about 30~40 seconds, until you see the Phone turn off and Blackberry word shows up again (Ignore the screenshot information), this might get ride of weird issue.

Secondly, If you are using Android Apps that use external SD card, and have a load of stuff on the SD Card. I suggest to lunch the Blackberry Picture app or wait enough time before you launch any Android App. I noticed when there are lot of stuff on External SD, on the first time launch Blackberry Picture, it will take a some time to scan the External SD Card. If you don't wait until the scanning process to complete before launch Android App, many time, those Android Apps will not see the SD Card and causing problems.
    09-15-14 04:46 PM
    xsasha,

I knew you knocked around the internals but I never realized how sharp you really are.

I'm glad you're helping us with your experience and expertise.

Just Sayin'!

T-Mobile Z10 STL100-3 running 10.3.0.1154
    needforbbx likes this.
    09-15-14 05:11 PM
    Xsacha- are you saying for a major updates like 10.2.1 to 10.3 it's not as bad to use the autoloader/ destructive as it would be when jumping from a 10.2 to 10.2?

White Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925 = heaven.
    09-15-14 07:04 PM
    Xsacha- are you saying for a major updates like 10.2.1 to 10.3 it's not as bad to use the autoloader/ destructive as it would be when jumping from a 10.2 to 10.2?

White Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925 = heaven.
    I'm saying Blackberry make mistakes with migration and it's sometimes better to do a clean autoloader without backup/restore because in major updates they like messing around the settings files and their locations :P
    However, for the official updates they do try to make it work and if you assume it would work on your phone officially, then Sachesi would keep your settings and everything should be fine.
    austriker likes this.
    09-15-14 11:30 PM