12-13-14 06:13 PM
35 12
tools
    Asking the question here as this seems to be where more of the knowledgeable hang out. Got an unlocked PP and the only time I see the carriers splash screen is on initial start up. Is this normal? And does the splash screen "live" on the sim card? Sorry if these seem like stupid questions

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 01:51 PM
    Yes & yes.

Secret squirrelling with my Passport. ?C0001FE5D?
    12-11-14 02:14 PM
    ...and they are not stupid questions.

Secret squirrelling with my Passport. ?C0001FE5D?
    geekaren likes this.
    12-11-14 02:15 PM
    Thank you, both for the answer and your courtesy

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 02:20 PM
    10.3.1 doesn't seem to display carrier splash. With WIND

I think it shows BlackBerry 10, like on first boot

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 02:28 PM
    10.3.1 shows splash screen on vodafone on start up only.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 02:31 PM
    Same WIND SIM card as before, so not sure why this is the case for me. Can't say I miss the splash though

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 02:35 PM
    I don't see it on 10.3.1 on t-mobile either

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 02:38 PM
    Have it on Orange 10.3.1

Sent via my square wonder thingie
    12-11-14 02:51 PM
    Splash screen actually isn't stored on the SIM card, in the OS there's BAR files for every carrier and the splash screens, default backgrounds, and some settings are loaded from those. They're named sys.data.ecid### etc. The phone looks at the sim card to get the ecid of your carrier and knows which bar files to load based on that.

The splash screen can actually be changed if you just sideload one of those bar files, but it'll only be the different one when you turn off the phone, it should revert to the proper one before it displays on the next boot. Using some different techniques it's possible to run without your carrier splash screen, or even substitute splash screens for another carrier on a permanent basis - I'm on Rogers and just because I could I set my phone to look like it was O2 for a few weeks. Wow, that was fun.
    balenax, limabo, mrfreeze and 4 others like this.
    12-11-14 02:56 PM
    D'Arcy, as a suPplementary question, this sounds as if there would be a way to convert such bar files to wallpaper or, is that a no go?

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 03:10 PM
    Idea just dawned, can you screen shot the splash screen?

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 03:13 PM
    Question answered, see pic below:
    Carrier splash screen-img_20141211_212055.png

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 03:22 PM
    Back in the BBOS days, it was possible to alter a LOT of stuff dealing with carrier IDs and branding. We haven't seen a similar utility for BB10 thus far.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-11-14 06:57 PM
    Idea just dawned, can you screen shot the splash screen?

Posted via CB10
    There was a time when you could screen shot even prior to the splash screen during the load process, this changed in 10.3.
    I try on every build I install but alas it does not work.
    12-12-14 01:29 AM
    I'm with Telus and I didn't have the TELUS splash screen at all. Not even on 10.0

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 01:46 AM
    I keep in getting Vodafone splash screens when using Vodafone. But when I switch to Etisalat they dissappear

|Posted Via Z10STL100-2|10.3.1.1151|
    12-12-14 02:25 AM
    Is it possible to remove the carrier splash screen on boot up completely?

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 03:45 AM
    I don't think you can. It's embedded in the sim. My passport runs att splash when att sim is in. I put my other verizon sim card in and it picks up the verizon splash screen.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 06:51 AM
    I don't think you can. It's embedded in the sim. My passport runs att splash when att sim is in. I put my other verizon sim card in and it picks up the verizon splash screen.

Posted via CB10
    As Darcy mentioned, it's not embedded in the SIM but rather the device keys off the SIM and shows what it thinks is the appropriate splash screen.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    12-12-14 06:59 AM
    Is it possible to remove the carrier splash screen on boot up completely?

Posted via CB10
    As mentioned in my last post, it is possible to remove the carrier specific ones - not easy, but it is possible. You'll always have a splash screen though, it'll just be the plain old blackberry one.

And before you ask it's not a process that I'm going to share because it's so far from easy that I'll classify it more as advanced. Just needs some hex editing, understanding of the formats of the filesystems, and in some cases the changes may require the alteration of checksums. Then it involves wiping your phone on top of that and hoping it works, and repeating the process any time you run an autoloader (it survives non-destructive updates). If there was actual benefit to doing it I'd probably automate the process, but as it is the time required to automate it is not worth it to remove a picture that you only see for 3-4 seconds at boot and shutdown.
    12-12-14 10:35 AM
    As mentioned in my last post, it is possible to remove the carrier specific ones - not easy, but it is possible. You'll always have a splash screen though, it'll just be the plain old blackberry one.

And before you ask it's not a process that I'm going to share because it's so far from easy that I'll classify it more as advanced. Just needs some hex editing, understanding of the formats of the filesystems, and in some cases the changes may require the alteration of checksums. Then it involves wiping your phone on top of that and hoping it works, and repeating the process any time you run an autoloader (it survives non-destructive updates). If there was actual benefit to doing it I'd probably automate the process, but as it is the time required to automate it is not worth it to remove a picture that you only see for 3-4 seconds at boot and shutdown.
    I'd prefer a old BlackBerry Logo there instead of a carrier logo but you're right. The effort is just too much for a couple of seconds. All I'm going to ask is this, can we place a custom one in place of a carrier/ BlackBerry one?

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 11:25 AM
    I'd prefer a old BlackBerry Logo there instead of a carrier logo but you're right. The effort is just too much for a couple of seconds. All I'm going to ask is this, can we place a custom one in place of a carrier/ BlackBerry one?

Posted via CB10
    It's been a while since I've did this, probably close to a year, but if I recall properly you cannot do your own logo. It still loads from a bar file and the bar file has to be signed so that's the limiting factor. You can use any existing one, but not insert your own. Being able to do that would add a bit of value to the process and make it worthwhile, but I don't think it's possible at this time.
    12-12-14 11:42 AM
    Asking the question here as this seems to be where more of the knowledgeable hang out. Got an unlocked PP and the only time I see the carriers splash screen is on initial start up. Is this normal? And does the splash screen "live" on the sim card? Sorry if these seem like stupid questions

Posted via CB10
    It is tied to the SIM and will change every time the SIM does. No way to hide it. Sorry.
    12-12-14 11:48 AM
    It's been a while since I've did this, probably close to a year, but if I recall properly you cannot do your own logo. It still loads from a bar file and the bar file has to be signed so that's the limiting factor. You can use any existing one, but not insert your own. Being able to do that would add a bit of value to the process and make it worthwhile, but I don't think it's possible at this time.
    Yeah, just that little of personalised customisation would be very nice. I'd probably do it if I had plenty of time but since I can't then it's just worth. Be interesting to do it, just not worth the hassle I'm afraid

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 11:49 AM
35 12