06-03-15 01:41 PM
99 ... 234
tools
    That doesn't solve the problem. If thieves know that phones would be useless to them regardless of how the owner uses his phone, then it is not likely to get stolen. You saw the stats. It protects others - not just you. Sort of like vaccinations - it provides herd immunity.

30-40% of ALL robberies in major cities involve electronic devices. These are serious numbers. People are getting hurt and in some instances, killed, over this stuff.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    I think the one thing that frustrates me the most about this legislation is that ultimately, it won't work. It will be an inconvenience for most people, but the "Bad" people will discover a way around this software solution.

Perhaps not the same, but when I lived in China, I can remember all the region codes for movies and music that were supposed to stop copying: never did. All it did was upset like me who were global, moving from region to region, using media and machines purchased in different countries and then finding incompatibilities halfway across the Pacific on a long haul flight. Or when we gave presents to friends and family around the world.
    06-02-15 03:57 AM
    I can't wait to update my os and yet people want to downgrade?

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.680
    Pdinos3, ppeters914 and habs_fan like this.
    06-02-15 06:16 AM
    Usman,

What in fact especial excess from OS 10.3.2.680 compared to by OS of below its. Only Cool?
    If explained, confidence altogether will in large numbers update the software to OS 10.3.2.680.

Real weakness from OS 10.3.2.680 cannot downgrade.

So, any person who have updated to OS 10.3.2.680, hence they will be trapped in the OS without can downgrade again. And have to await the OS of above 10.3.2.680 expected can be done by downgrade of when wanted.

(Apa sesungguhnya kelebihan utama dari OS 10.3.2.680 dibanding OS di bawahnya.
    Kalau dijelaskan, yakin semuanya akan berbondong-bondong update softwarenya ke OS 10.3.2.680 tersebut.
    Kelemahan nyata dari OS 10.3.2.680 adalah tidak bisa di downgrade.
    Jadi, siapapun yang sudah update ke OS 10.3.2.680, maka mereka akan terjebak di OS tersebut tanpa bisa downgrade lagi. Dan harus menunggu OS di atas 10.3.2.680 yang diharapkan bisa dilakukan downgrade bila diinginkan).

Z10STL100-2/10.3.2.680
    06-02-15 08:04 AM
    Usman,

What in fact especial excess from OS 10.3.2.680 compared to by OS of below its. Only Cool?
    If explained, confidence altogether will in large numbers update the software to OS 10.3.2.680.

Real weakness from OS 10.3.2.680 cannot downgrade.

So, any person who have updated to OS 10.3.2.680, hence they will be trapped in the OS without can downgrade again. And have to await the OS of above 10.3.2.680 expected can be done by downgrade of when wanted.

(Apa sesungguhnya kelebihan utama dari OS 10.3.2.680 dibanding OS di bawahnya.
    Kalau dijelaskan, yakin semuanya akan berbondong-bondong update softwarenya ke OS 10.3.2.680 tersebut.
    Kelemahan nyata dari OS 10.3.2.680 adalah tidak bisa di downgrade.
    Jadi, siapapun yang sudah update ke OS 10.3.2.680, maka mereka akan terjebak di OS tersebut tanpa bisa downgrade lagi. Dan harus menunggu OS di atas 10.3.2.680 yang diharapkan bisa dilakukan downgrade bila diinginkan).

Z10STL100-2/10.3.2.680
    The fact is since I have z10 with 10.0.9 OS, I never downgrade whenever new OS available I will update it
    Simple.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.680 | CB Mod
    06-02-15 08:12 AM
    I think the one thing that frustrates me the most about this legislation is that ultimately, it won't work. It will be an inconvenience for most people, but the "Bad" people will discover a way around this software solution.
    Well, in over two years no one has been able to crack BlackBerry's signing keys, or has been able to load their own OS, or has been able to root BB10. Nor has anyone figured out how to change nvram settings. I think it is next to impossible.

But even for arguments sake, if it could be done with great difficulty, it would be way, way above the pay grade of the average thief.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    D3C0D3R, ppeters914 and habs_fan like this.
    06-02-15 08:14 AM
    The fact is since I have z10 with 10.0.9 OS, I never downgrade whenever new OS available I will update it
    Simple.

Do not as simple as the such as those which you think, its proof a lot question for the downgrade of OS 10.3.2.680
    Btw, and not yet answered my question.

Z10STL100-2/10.3.2.680
    06-02-15 08:27 AM
    Do not as simple as the such as those which you think, its proof a lot question for the downgrade of OS 10.3.2.680

Z10STL100-2/10.3.2.680
    10.3.2 is just the continued development of 10.3.1. The biggest feature (and the most likely reason for the new numbering) is the new BlackBerry Protect that we have been talking about for the last few pages.

Personally I would never go back even if I could.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    06-02-15 08:35 AM

Z10STL100-2/10.3.2.680
    Why you make it difficult?
    I'm running Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.680 with no issues

06-02-15 08:35 AM
    So what are you going to do when iOS and Android implement the same thing? It really is just a matter of time, I think.
    Apple has been doing this since 2009. Though usually they allow downgrading for a few days to a month, but only from the time of the new OS release. So if you wait to see how things go on other devices, then upgrade and find something you don't like, it's likely already closed.
    06-02-15 09:04 AM
    10.3.2 is just the continued development of 10.3.1. The biggest feature (and the most likely reason for the new numbering) is the new BlackBerry Protect that we have been talking about for the last few pages.

Personally I would never go back even if I could.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    Thanks a lot of for your explain and that way which I expect.

Z10STL100-2/10.3.2.680
    06-02-15 09:08 AM
    Well, in over two years no one has been able to crack BlackBerry's signing keys, or has been able to load their own OS, or has been able to root BB10. Nor has anyone figured out how to change nvram settings. I think it is next to impossible.

But even for arguments sake, if it could be done with great difficulty, it would be way, way above the pay grade of the average thief.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    Yes, you are likely correct, way above the pay grade of the local thief. However, one must assume that as this is such a society damaging issue that there will be smarter people somewhere up the food chain. Not unlike the music and movie business where there are factories dedicated to breaking codes, purchasing production lines and churning illegal copies . . . After all, I think someone quoted in this thread that 40% of phones are stolen . . . that would seem to indicate a significant amount of money involved.

Moreover, I only wish there was consistency. Again if this is such an issue, I am certain it ranks lower than say excessive speed or alcohol. Just to mention two examples. Why is there no effort to place technology in cars that shuts down engines for good if speed exceeds 50mph? Why is there no effort to ban alcohol given all the fetal alcohol issues, spousal abuse, drunk driving, etc.? Or perhaps even to keep it closer to like comparison, why no "kill switch" in cars if the car is stolen?

I see this as another example of the continual shift to the lowest common denominator.
    06-02-15 08:12 PM
    Yes, you are likely correct, way above the pay grade of the local thief. However, one must assume that as this is such a society damaging issue that there will be smarter people somewhere up the food chain. Not unlike the music and movie business where there are factories dedicated to breaking codes, purchasing production lines and churning illegal copies . . . After all, I think someone quoted in this thread that 40% of phones are stolen . . . that would seem to indicate a significant amount of money involved.

Moreover, I only wish there was consistency. Again if this is such an issue, I am certain it ranks lower than say excessive speed or alcohol. Just to mention two examples. Why is there no effort to place technology in cars that shuts down engines for good if speed exceeds 50mph? Why is there no effort to ban alcohol given all the fetal alcohol issues, spousal abuse, drunk driving, etc.? Or perhaps even to keep it closer to like comparison, why no "kill switch" in cars if the car is stolen?

I see this as another example of the continual shift to the lowest common denominator.
    Because freeway speed laws differ from state to state in the US, you'd need to implement a GPS system that's current with traffic laws and ALL cars outfitted unless you live in Wyoming; Prohibition was tried already, and not everybody can afford cars with a security system. On the other hand, software can be updated at no cost and features implemented without changing the price of the device.
    06-02-15 10:38 PM
    Because freeway speed laws differ from state to state in the US, you'd need to implement a GPS system that's current with traffic laws and ALL cars outfitted unless you live in Wyoming; Prohibition was tried already, and not everybody can afford cars with a security system. On the other hand, software can be updated at no cost and features implemented without changing the price of the device.
    Thank you. However, I think you missed my point. And of course, with respect to the comment about different states, etc., I understand it is only CA and perhaps one other that has implemented the law . . . Of course, another example could be all those people who cut their fingers with knives: better to implement a law to sell blunt knives that can't be sharpened.

Or perhaps automobiles should be sold with engines, electronics, etc. that can't be modified . . .Or why not on all laptops and tablets: make changing of the OS by downgrading illegal . . .
    06-03-15 01:26 AM
    Here we go again

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.798
    06-03-15 01:27 AM
    There has been an effort to ban alcohol, it was called prohibition and it was so popular with the otherwise law-abiding public that it provided a revenue stream that turned organised crime into multi million dollar industry

SQW 1. 10.3.1.2957
    06-03-15 02:21 AM
    Simple.
    That's because 10.1 and 10.2 are improvements. If you can find an autoloader for your device I'd suggest upgrading.

But while 10.3.1 and above add some handy features behind the scenes, the bits you interact with on a daily basis are taking several steps back.

I'm finding my Z30 to be a Z10 "dialed up to 11, and then quickly back down to an 8".
    06-03-15 02:30 AM
    W

Posted via CB10
    06-03-15 03:33 AM
    So what are you going to do when iOS and Android implement the same thing? It really is just a matter of time, I think.
    Doesn't IOS already do this? - I thought you can never go back to the previous O/S once you've upgraded to the latest O/S
    06-03-15 03:53 AM
    the bits you interact with on a daily basis are taking several steps back.
    LOL - I find it the complete opposite - I think 10.3.x is several steps forward.
    06-03-15 03:58 AM
    California and Minnesota for now.

The terms of the California implementation are probably why:

"The legislation requires a system that, if triggered by an authorized user, will lock a handset to essentially make it useless. The feature must be installed and activated in new smartphones, but users will be able to deactivate it if they desire, and it must be resistant to attempts to reinstall the operating system."

Posted via CB10
    So what happens if there's a new leak and we want to install it? Does it need the BBID first in order to use an Autoloader?

06-03-15 04:04 AM
    Thank you. However, I think you missed my point. And of course, with respect to the comment about different states, etc., I understand it is only CA and perhaps one other that has implemented the law . . . Of course, another example could be all those people who cut their fingers with knives: better to implement a law to sell blunt knives that can't be sharpened.

Or perhaps automobiles should be sold with engines, electronics, etc. that can't be modified . . .Or why not on all laptops and tablets: make changing of the OS by downgrading illegal . . .
    Knives example doesn't work mainly because blunt knives are pointless.

The main reasoning behind making this particular law is that it's a consumer protection move that protects everyone and has minimal negative impact. The law isn't making downgrading illegal, just impossible so that it becomes a theft deterrent. If it cuts down on people loading unoffical OS versions outside of the beta program in the process, well, we aren't supposed to be doing that anyway. The needs of the many outweigh the wants of the few in this case.

And it may have an added bonus: device manufacturers will need to step up their game because if people have issues with an upgrade and can't downgrade, they may switch platforms. However, it needs reiterated that all upgrades will only have the one downgrade that they can't do.
    06-03-15 04:14 AM
    The law isn't making downgrading illegal, just impossible so that it becomes a theft deterrent.
    Even then, it would still be possible to downgrade from 10.X to 10.Y if both of them still have the kill switch facilities in place.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-15 04:25 AM
    So what happens if there's a new leak and we want to install it? Does it need the BBID first in order to use an Autoloader?

Yes, it should mean that your device is already signed in with your BlackBerryID, I haven't autoloaded since upgrading to 10.3.2.500 though, so I can't tell you if that's true.

If you plan on selling it or anything, you'll need to remove yourself from the phone too

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    06-03-15 08:18 AM
    Learn how to read ffs

Posted via CB10
    06-03-15 01:41 PM
99 ... 234