02-11-14 05:06 PM
40 12
tools
    Exactly as my title says. Are we able to petition BlackBerry to allow Snap in BlackBerry World? I'm thinking that this may be a good idea to do as it will allow average user access to the Android Apps from the Google Play Store in an easy manner.

I've never done a petition before but if somebody can direct me where I could set it up and if CrackBerry would feature it maybe I'd be willing to set it up.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 01:21 PM
    I'm up for it.

It would officially make sideloading a thing of the past. I'm telling a lot of people that have BB10 devices about Snap but i'm having to help most of them sideload it onto their devices...

Getting kinda bored of it..
    02-06-14 01:25 PM
    No

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 01:31 PM
    No

Posted via CB10
    Reasoning would help...

Posted via CB10
    Doggerz likes this.
    02-06-14 01:34 PM
    If snap would get some sort of OK from Google then I would not see why Blackberry would have a problem with it.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 01:36 PM
    I'm in. Let's do it

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 01:39 PM
    It's an uphill battle to say the least. Maybe if BlackBerry actually acknowledged that we can run android apps but the haven't even done that publicly, although have not fought against it.

Would be great though!

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 02:00 PM
    Reasoning would help...

Posted via CB10
    Petition something we can't run or work around.
    02-06-14 02:32 PM
    Nothing is stopping you from starting and signing a petition but BlackBerry will likely stop you from getting the result you're hoping for.

Petition away! Worth a shot. Worst case things simply stay as is but best case it gets approved...

Posted with a Verizon Z30 running 10.2.1.1925 and CB10. My channel with zero subscribers
    02-06-14 02:55 PM
    Remember that Snap looks like, smells like and tastes like BBW, so it would be direct competition to them. Its a really great app!
    02-06-14 03:44 PM
    Doubt it would work since it would be a competing app store. Some users may choose to buy apps on Google play instead of the ported versions in bbw. Just like you don't see the amazon app store on Google play.

If I was to petition BlackBerry related to this subject, make it so that we can install bars directly on the phone. That is probably more attainable than snap on bbw.

Posted via CB10, Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1925
    williaml likes this.
    02-06-14 04:45 PM
    I really like only seeing android applications from known companies in blackberry world. No games or other stupid apps like talking tom etc.

I say get the good apps and trustable apps into blackberry world and maybe you get only 100.000 apps extra at least blackberry world and you phone stays save.
    02-06-14 04:55 PM
    and possibly violate Google play TOS?
    This probably will not happen no matter haw many sign the petition.
    02-06-14 05:01 PM
    Problem is is that any issues with Android apps not working or causing issues on the handset will be perceived as Blackberry's fault and have a negative impact which I'm sure is something the media would jump all over.

BlackBerry don't want to be taking that kind of responsibility. Every wonder why native apk support was never mentioned in the 10.2.1 press release.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 05:04 PM
    Once BlackBerry can iron out all the Google services framework issues and such so that basically all apps would run, then I don't see why BlackBerry wouldn't want Snap or even incorporate Snap into BBW.
    James has done a great job so I think BlackBerry should buy it from.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925 CB10
    ricocan and williaml like this.
    02-06-14 05:24 PM
    So how would I start a petition on CB? Do I have to use some external site and if so any recommendations?

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 06:39 PM
    I have a better idea because they will never let snap into BlackBerry world EVER!

A much better idea is to push for ota installs of signed BlackBerry .Bar files.

Sounds much much more reasonable to me as its something that legacy devices have had since I can remember if it is pushed as a petition from many legacy users who have upgraded to BlackBerry 10 and want to have the freedom to install great apps that aren't in BlackBerry world
    Examples include Retro arch, ppsspp, apps being developed ie igrann, snap2chat, that awesome torrent app that no one has, and of course snap.

Think about it people we want ota installs not snap in BlackBerry world ota installs is key and needs to come to BlackBerry 10.

Side note it's stupid we can install apk but not .bar

Just my 2 cents

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 07:54 PM
    Snap violates Google's ToS. Within hours of allowing it, BlackBerry would either be facing a cease and desist order or they'd find a way to block it.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    balexus likes this.
    02-06-14 08:00 PM
    It's an uphill battle to say the least. Maybe if BlackBerry actually acknowledged that we can run android apps but the haven't even done that publicly, although have not fought against it.

Would be great though!

Posted via CB10
    Sure they've acknowledged it. They're just not promoting it.

02-06-14 08:02 PM
    I'm up for it.

It would officially make sideloading a thing of the past. I'm telling a lot of people that have BB10 devices about Snap but i'm having to help most of them sideload it onto their devices...

Getting kinda bored of it..
    Just have them install the Amazon App Store. Then the only thing you need to do is send them a link.

02-06-14 08:04 PM
    Better to keep petitioning your favorite Android app developers to submit their apps to BlackBerry World.

Z10 STL100-3 |10.2.1.1925 | Bell | CB10
    balexus, artsnick and ryanza like this.
    02-06-14 08:10 PM
    We can petition anything we want so that is that.
    Does BlackBerry allow snap or not let's discuss that. BlackBerry needs Google Play and Android Apps that is the sole reason they invested time and money refining Android Runtime over and over again. I'm sure they are not done yet. Now that is a fact. We all know that 10.2.1 can directly install APKs so why would BlackBerry allow such thing if they were afraid of Google Play or saw Google play as competition. Keeping that in mind, we can conclude that BlackBerry actually wants something like Snap to be available to the masses so they don't have the app gap anymore.
    BlackBerry is probably already in talks with Google to see some possibilities and maybe Google didn't agree on it, that is why they (BlackBerry) are allowing developers do directly submit their apps to BBW.

I know there is a lot ifs and buts, but we won't know what the verdict will be unless we take an action.
    So let's roll this petition and see the outcome.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 08:48 PM
    Whilst snap is good and amazon app store is good it might be opening the flood gates to all sorts of crappy app stores.
    02-07-14 12:37 AM
    I'm in

Posted from my flawless BlackBerry Z10
    02-07-14 03:12 AM
    Why dont we just ask the developer to release it as an APK?

this would make it way more easy to distribute then any other way. Just PM the ones to want to have it on BBM and send them the apk.

Just my 2cents.

Any thoughts on this?
    Doggerz likes this.
    02-07-14 04:03 AM
40 12