Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to read a backup file for a Z10 without actually restoring into the phone?

Last week I put my Z10 on the charger, went to bed and woke up to a red light. I could not get into work so I had to reload the OS. I was able to do that and it is working fine but I ended up losing some important BBM messages. I did do a back up around mid August, so I am wondering if there is any way to view my backed up files without having to restore that backup to my phone. I don't want to mess with what I have on the phone right now.

Thanks
    09-30-14 09:46 AM
    Not anymore. They made it encrypted. I suppose there's probably a way to unscramble it but no one has bothered to look.

Prior to this, it was actually just a .tar file. So you could extract it just by renaming it to .tar.
    bernardogrady likes this.
    09-30-14 09:49 AM
    There are some backup extractor apps that will extract the backup file. Haven't tried one since BB 10 but maybe give this a look: BlackBerry Backup Extractor - Open BBB or IPD files on Windows or Mac
    09-30-14 09:52 AM
    Not anymore. They made it encrypted. I suppose there's probably a way to unscramble it but no one has bothered to look.

Prior to this, it was actually just a .tar file. So you could extract it just by renaming it to .tar.
    Or "zip". In fact, the backup still is a zip file. Winzip, and other unzipping programs could read it, and still can, and you can see the individual program ".bin" and associated data files. The "manifest.xml" file has the running list of what app has what name in the backup. But as mentioned, it's scrambled and individual files can't be read directly.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 10:45 AM
    Or "zip". In fact, the backup still is a zip file. Winzip, and other unzipping programs could read it, and still can, and you can see the individual program ".bin" and associated data files. The "manifest.xml" file has the running list of what app has what name in the backup. But as mentioned, it's scrambled and individual files can't be read directly.
    Yeah, I mean the files inside the .zip used to be .tar.
    They are still .tar but they are encrypted and called .bin now.
    09-30-14 11:06 AM
    They are apparently encrypted with a key derivable from your BlackBerry password. There are forensic tools that can unpack these but they only work if you have the user's BlackBerry login ID and password. If that's a strong password you're screwed; the archive is unrecoverable.
    09-30-14 11:30 AM
    They are apparently encrypted with a key derivable from your BlackBerry password. There are forensic tools that can unpack these but they only work if you have the user's BlackBerry login ID and password. If that's a strong password you're screwed; the archive is unrecoverable.
    What kind of tools? Care to mention any?

Posted via CB10 with my Z10 STL-1 10.3.0.1154
    09-30-14 02:44 PM