Although the back camera is 8mp pictures doesn't look good.
    Lumia and iPhone are better with same pixel range.
    The camera hardware is good on z10....
    Is it really the software problem for not getting quality pictures?
    Also in night quality of pictures is very bad

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 03:05 PM
    Quality of pics on my Z10 are proper good in the daytime tbh. Still room for improvement, but not as dire as some make it out to be.

I do agree, though, that night time shots are terrible.

Posted via CB10
    BB_makes_it_happen likes this.
    01-06-14 03:47 PM
    Although the back camera is 8mp pictures doesn't look good.
    Lumia and iPhone are better with same pixel range.
    The camera hardware is good on z10....
    Is it really the software problem for not getting quality pictures?
    Also in night quality of pictures is very bad

Posted via CB10
    I think most would admit that the iPhone and definitely the Lumia have better cameras - but I think the camera found on the Z10 and Z30 is pretty good. In many situations, the Z10/Z30 camera performs quite well and produces images that are similar in quality to the iPhone. I personally have taken a few test snaps between the iPhone and Z30 and results vary with the Z30 sometimes producing nicer images while sometimes the iPhone comes out on top. The performance level is actually quite close.

Low light is a little mixed. I actually find the Z30 performs quite well in low light - and under flash I often get better results than the iPhone which still seems to be hit-and-miss with the flash on.

I definitely think BlackBerry can improve on the camera, but I also think the current camera does quite a good job. I enjoy the software and functionality.

My wish list for future devices would be an improved sensor and faster response (rapid shots), as well as slow motion options. But for me it's not really a deal breaker. The device as a whole is amazing, and I've taken some pretty breathtaking photos with the camera as it is.
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    01-06-14 06:15 PM
    Maybe they have improved the z30 s camera but z10 camera is not good according to me

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 07:32 PM
    I agree the z10 camera is substandard compared to the competition.
    Nighttime pictures on the z10 are very dark but pictures look more detailed when doing close up. I did a comparison with a s3 and the z10 looks better but then again, too dark

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 07:34 PM
    I agree the z10 camera is substandard compared to the competition.
    Nighttime pictures on the z10 are very dark but pictures look more detailed when doing close up. I did a comparison with a s3 and the z10 looks better but then again, too dark

Posted via CB10
    So is this the software issue or the hardware performance of z10 is that...

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 07:37 PM
    I use the "Advanced Camera" app and find I get better pictures with it than I do using the stock camera app. So, maybe software do play a role in picture quality.
    01-06-14 07:41 PM
    So is this the software issue or the hardware performance of z10 is that...

Posted via CB10
    Question - What OS version are you running? The camera software improves with each update. 10.0 > 10.1 was a massive update for the camera, and 10.1 > 10.2 also added performance enhancements.
    01-06-14 07:50 PM
    I use the "Advanced Camera" app and find I get better pictures with it than I do using the stock camera app. So, maybe software do play a role in picture quality.
    I think that you are right. I don't know a lot about the subject, but I remember Knobtviker, who does know a lot, saying that there was massive untapped potential in the camera module. Wish I could say more but my poor brain does not remember.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 09:30 PM
    I think that you are right. I don't know a lot about the subject, but I remember Knobtviker, who does know a lot, saying that there was massive untapped potential in the camera module. Wish I could say more but my poor brain does not remember.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know if I would call it a "massive untapped potential" but the BB10 Native API does offer good deal of options that can contribute to better image quality.

Most mobile cameras, including those found on the BB10 devices, have a fixed aperture value. This means your camera app will be adjusting the combination of ISO and shutter speed to arrive at a proper exposure setting for each picture. For a stationary target, generally you can improve the picture quality by setting the ISO to some low value (less noise) and let the app adjust the shutter speed. Such option, ISO Priority Mode, is readily available in the Native API.

http://developer.blackberry.com/nati..._overview.html

You can also use Full Manual, Shutter Speed Priority, Exposure Compensation, and various other options to your liking much like a DSLR. Heck there is even a provision for RAW mode as well (although I highly doubt it will ever be implemented).

My point is, yes, there are quite a few things you can do with BB10 camera API to improve its picture quality in low light conditions.

Posted via CB10
    toobs623, sk8er_tor and KemKev like this.
    01-07-14 12:12 AM
    I do find that the camera software is damn poor. It's definitely the weak part of BB10.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-07-14 12:21 AM
    I don't know if I would call it a "massive untapped potential" but the BB10 Native API does offer good deal of options that can contribute to better image quality.

Most mobile cameras, including those found on the BB10 devices, have a fixed aperture value. This means your camera app will be adjusting the combination of ISO and shutter speed to arrive at a proper exposure setting for each picture. For a stationary target, generally you can improve the picture quality by setting the ISO to some low value (less noise) and let the app adjust the shutter speed. Such option, ISO Priority Mode, is readily available in the Native API.

http://developer.blackberry.com/nati..._overview.html

You can also use Full Manual, Shutter Speed Priority, Exposure Compensation, and various other options to your liking much like a DSLR. Heck there is even a provision for RAW mode as well (although I highly doubt it will ever be implemented).

My point is, yes, there are quite a few things you can do with BB10 camera API to improve its picture quality in low light conditions.

Posted via CB10
    Ok. So why hasn't BlackBerry capitalized on their own APIs....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    KemKev likes this.
    01-07-14 12:22 AM
    My Z10 takes great pictures. I do have a Canon camera and a Panasonic video camera with a 40 GB hdd plus sd card. It helps to learn how to use the lighting available to better your shots. Also there are adjustments in the camera app. Use the "cloudy" setting to improve most any shot. Hope I helped someone out there.

Trusted Member Genius
    01-07-14 12:28 AM
    Question - What OS version are you running? The camera software improves with each update. 10.0 > 10.1 was a massive update for the camera, and 10.1 > 10.2 also added performance enhancements.
    Using. 1925

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 12:50 AM
    I beg to differ. You really need to play with the settings for the pics you are taking. I've had no issues with the Camera including Night pics (Canada Day 2013, Burlington Ontario)
    Camera quality ---not good-facebook-20140107-114924.png

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 10:51 AM
    I beg to differ. You really need to play with the settings for the pics you are taking. I've had no issues with the Camera including Night pics (Canada Day 2013, Burlington Ontario)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	facebook-20140107-114924.png 
Views:	497 
Size:	392.7 KB 
ID:	236800

Posted via CB10
    Should not need to play with settings. Auto should be smart enough to know what the optimal setting is.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    KemKev likes this.
    01-07-14 12:01 PM
    Should not need to play with settings. Auto should be smart enough to know what the optimal setting is.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    I don't think auto setting is going to get you night shots of fireworks...but the Burst setting works exceptionally well.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 01:23 PM
    Camera is where BlackBerry could improve a good deal on.

CB10 via Verizon Z10. 10.2.1.1925
    01-07-14 01:29 PM
    Using Night mode instead of Auto when taking dark photos makes a big difference.

Also, I think the last leak (1925) isn't the best for quality shots. I find the camera yielded better results in a previous leak. Also, I now notice that Face Focus is gone so maybe the camera app is old in this latest leak?
    01-07-14 01:31 PM
    Using Night mode instead of Auto when taking dark photos makes a big difference.

Also, I think the last leak (1925) isn't the best for quality shots. I find the camera yielded better results in a previous leak. Also, I now notice that Face Focus is gone so maybe the camera app is old in this latest leak?
    I believe someone made the camera file from the previous leak, which has Face Focus, available to sideload on 1925 for those who want that functionality.
    01-07-14 01:47 PM
    I do find that the camera software is damn poor. It's definitely the weak part of BB10.
    Not the weak part but definitely a weak part.
    01-07-14 01:49 PM
    But the software should be smart enough to realize to switch to night on auto. That's all I'm saying.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-07-14 02:34 PM