11-21-14 06:23 PM
38 12
tools
    With the update I have to press the particular button or spot to take the picture whereas with 10.2.1 and earlier I could take the picture by pressing on the screen anywhere. It was much easier before.

Posted via CB10
    osi68 likes this.
    11-14-14 04:48 PM
    Agreed. This has been a huge complaint.

Mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735/ Mike Garson Photography - C00471EA8
    11-14-14 05:18 PM
    Pressing anywhere on screen moves the focus to that point. You can also use the volume buttons to take a picture.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 05:50 PM
    I also agree.

Why do they keep going backwards?

I don't understand, is it really that difficult to add an option to choose from? Lazy.

Seriously, they need more options for EVERYTHING.

The settings are jumbled around, at least have the option to switch it around. I like things in alphabetical order, or by category. Other phones have categories, why not Blackberry?

I thought this was supposed to be a productive operating system.
    KKruglov likes this.
    11-14-14 05:57 PM
    Oh not this again. It still works, doesn't it? That's all that matters.

Via CB10 Runnin Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1016 and Official Member of The Peevishlicious Crew
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    11-14-14 05:59 PM
    The benefits outweigh the learning curve. Now you can take a picture while recording video. You couldn't do that before. And now you don't have to worry about accidentally stopping the recording when you go to focus. There were many times I had accidents by touching the screen and either starting or stopping a recording prematurely. Also, now it is faster to switch h the camera, faster to record video and faster to enable or disable the flash.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 06:13 PM
    Use the volume buttons

STL-4. 10.3.1.938
    11-14-14 07:56 PM
    I also complain about the virtual button. I really like to see the day you can touch every where to make a picture
    11-15-14 03:54 AM
    I also complain about the virtual button. I really like to see the day you can touch every where to make a picture
    How do you suppose we pick a focal point? The new camera setup is a lot better than the old. Glad to see we are moving forward!

Crackberry Genius on Verizon 10.3.1.1016
    11-15-14 05:20 AM
    The benefits outweigh the learning curve. Now you can take a picture while recording video. You couldn't do that before. And now you don't have to worry about accidentally stopping the recording when you go to focus. There were many times I had accidents by touching the screen and either starting or stopping a recording prematurely. Also, now it is faster to switch h the camera, faster to record video and faster to enable or disable the flash.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with all your points however, it would have been nice if they could have incorporated all the new functionality while still maintaining the ability to utilize the entire screen as the shutter button.

One area for sure I can think of having at least the option to use the entire screen, would be when using the front camera for a selfie. I found it difficult to take them with landmarks in the background and having to hold my Z30 in such a way I was able to press the shutter button on the screen. If I had the option to use the entire screen as a feature, then I could set that for use when say needing to take a selfie.

BlackBerry could call it selfie mode! For now my work around is to place the camera on the 3 second timer mode. That gave me enough time to hit the shutter button and get in position for the selfie.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    Last edited by Carmels; 11-17-14 at 07:57 PM.
    11-15-14 08:53 AM
    I agree with all your points however, it would have been nice if they could have incorporated all the new functionality while still maintaining the ability to utilize the entire screen as as the shutter button.

One area for sure I can think of having at least the option to use the entire screen would be when using the front camera for a selfie. I found it difficult to take them with landmarks in the background and having to hold my Z30 in such a way I was able to press the shutter button on the screen. If I had the option to use the entire screen as a feature, then I could set that for use when say needing to take a selfie.

BlackBerry could call it selfie mode! For now my work around is to place the camera on the 3 second timer mode. That gave me enough time to hit the shutter button and get in position for the selfie.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    11-15-14 08:54 AM
    How do you suppose we pick a focal point? The new camera setup is a lot better than the old. Glad to see we are moving forward!

Crackberry Genius on Verizon 10.3.1.1016
    If I'm not mistaken, in 10.2.1 you dragged iris to the spot you wanted to focus on and then tapped the screen. The action of dragging the iris set the focus and the taping on the screen took the picture. Or you dragged the iris to set the focus and then used the volume keys.

However, I agree with some of the previous posts. The options we've received with 10.3 far out weigh the need to have the entire screen act as the shutter button.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    11-15-14 09:01 AM
    yea... maybe for YOU... me personally, I like more options
    11-15-14 10:09 AM
    face detection works awesome

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1151

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 10:17 AM
    Why didn't they leave a toggable option? I prefer the touch anywhere to take a photo. I don't want a button!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 11:10 AM
    If I'm not mistaken, in 10.2.1 you dragged iris to the spot you wanted to focus on and then tapped the screen. The action of dragging the iris set the focus and the taping on the screen took the picture. Or you dragged the iris to set the focus and then used the volume keys.

However, I agree with some of the previous posts. The options we've received with 10.3 far out weigh the need to have the entire screen act as the shutter button.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    It is a lot easier to focus and a lot quicker to take a picture now.
    I think you are agreeing with me on that.
    Right?

Crackberry Genius on Verizon Z10/10.3.1.1151
    11-15-14 06:14 PM
    Good commentary. For my basic picture taking needs I liked the flexibility of being able to press anywhere but I respect why others like the more advanced features that came with 10.3.1. When others would use my came pre 10.3.1 they often commented how nice it was just to hit the screen but waiting for the screen to get focused was at the same time sometimes more confusing

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 12:58 AM
    It is a lot easier to focus and a lot quicker to take a picture now.
    I think you are agreeing with me on that.
    Right?

Crackberry Genius on Verizon Z10/10.3.1.1151
    Actually I can't say that it's any faster on 10.3 then it was on 10.2.1. But the speed in which the camera can focus on 10.3.0.1418 isn't the greatest and it's definitely something that I hope BlackBerry can enhance, in some of the official 10.3.1 releases that are yet to come out.

But I'm loving the additional features we're getting and I hope we get more.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    11-17-14 08:06 PM
    I agree with all your points however, it would have been nice if they could have incorporated all the new functionality while still maintaining the ability to utilize the entire screen as the shutter button.

One area for sure I can think of having at least the option to use the entire screen, would be when using the front camera for a selfie. I found it difficult to take them with landmarks in the background and having to hold my Z30 in such a way I was able to press the shutter button on the screen. If I had the option to use the entire screen as a feature, then I could set that for use when say needing to take a selfie.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    This is BlackBerry's way of saying "no one should be taking selfies"

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1151
    11-18-14 09:07 AM
    Sorry but they made this change because it wasn't user friendly. You can still press physical buttons to take pictures and choosing focus is easier to figure out for people.

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    11-18-14 09:15 AM
    I'm with Dave on this. Before this change, you won't believe the number of complaints in these forums about "where is the button to take a picture?" !!!

Also, I can't tell you the number of times I asked someone to snap a picture for me and have to explain about tapping anywhere on the screen. Since most people are familiar with the Android and iPhone cameras that all have a prominent, can't be missed "shutter release" button, they usually do find this "touch anywhere" feature to be confusing.

So the BlackBerry software gurus make the change and as pointed out above, the change is actually better, but just as it always rains on your picnic or your parade, you can count on folks to complain about this too. Sheesh!!!

Get a grip, folks. First world "problems".

Posted via CB10
    bb10_fan and ppeters914 like this.
    11-18-14 01:18 PM
    I'm with Dave on this. Before this change, you won't believe the number of complaints in these forums about "where is the button to take a picture?" !!!

Also, I can't tell you the number of times I asked someone to snap a picture for me and have to explain about tapping anywhere on the screen. Since most people are familiar with the Android and iPhone cameras that all have a prominent, can't be missed "shutter release" button, they usually do find this "touch anywhere" feature to be confusing.

So the BlackBerry software gurus make the change and as pointed out above, the change is actually better, but just as it always rains on your picnic or your parade, you can count on folks to complain about this too. Sheesh!!!

Get a grip, folks. First world "problems".

Posted via CB10
    That is your opinion. I like many find it not to be better. I can no longer use the camera for work as standing on a ladder to take a photo I have to by law have at least one hand in the ladder. To actually click that button I would drop my phone. It is actually making my life harder. There are many people that find this a problem also. Also BlackBerry users are still using BlackBerry because they like BlackBerry not because they want to use an android or iPhone clone.

Mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735/ Mike Garson Photography - C00471EA8 / Against The Grain 2BD93EEE
    advias likes this.
    11-18-14 01:39 PM
    That is your opinion. I like many find it not to be better. I can no longer use the camera for work as standing on a ladder to take a photo I have to by law have at least one hand in the ladder. To actually click that button I would drop my phone. It is actually making my life harder. There are many people that find this a problem also. Also BlackBerry users are still using BlackBerry because they like BlackBerry not because they want to use an android or iPhone clone.
    Hey Rocker,

Yes, you're right! It is my opinion!!! Thanks for pointing that out.

And you're entitled to yours, too!

Here's an idea: try holding the phone with one hand using a grip that positions your index finger over one of the volume buttons. When your shot is composed, just press the button. Boom, you're good to go!

Another idea is to keep writing here and hope the BlackBerry software engineers will reverse this decision and go back to the "press anywhere" feature. Or perhaps they'll add the "press anywhere" feature as an option.

While I'm at it, it's not really accurate to call it "press anywhere" on the screen to shoot a photo cuz there were several places on the screen where something else would happen if you pressed "anywhere"... the 3 dots, the last shot preview, the flash icon if autoflash wasn't previously selected and the scene mode icon if not on auto. And the camera mode icon. And yeah, I had times when I asked someone to take a picture and said "just press anywhere" and they end up turning on the movie mode or changing the flash to auto.

All this has been reset as a package. Might as well just get used to it and join the world of people with a shutter button who also can use the volume button to snap one off.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 02:25 PM
    Here's an idea: try holding the phone with one hand using a grip that positions your index finger over one of the volume buttons. When your shot is composed, just press the button. Boom, you're good to go!

Posted via CB10
    Dang! Wish I'd known that the other day when I was trying to take a one-handed pic.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10 / AT&T / Z10 STL100-3 / 10.3.1.1151
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    11-18-14 04:47 PM
    Hey Rocker,

Yes, you're right! It is my opinion!!! Thanks for pointing that out.

And you're entitled to yours, too!

Another idea is to keep writing here and hope the BlackBerry software engineers will reverse this decision and go back to the "press anywhere" feature. Or perhaps they'll add the "press anywhere" feature as an option.

While I'm at it, it's not really accurate to call it "press anywhere" on the screen to shoot a photo cuz there were several places on the screen where something else would happen if you pressed "anywhere"... the 3 dots, the last shot preview, the flash icon if autoflash wasn't previously selected and the scene mode icon if not on auto. And the camera mode icon. And yeah, I had times when I asked someone to take a picture and said "just press anywhere" and they end up turning on the movie mode or changing the flash to auto.

All this has been reset as a package. Might as well just get used to it and join the world of people with a shutter button who also can use the volume button to snap one off.

Posted via CB10
    A Z30 is far to awkward to hold the phone that way.

Mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735/ Mike Garson Photography - C00471EA8 / Against The Grain 2BD93EEE
    11-18-14 04:52 PM
38 12