I was hoping the removal of Adobe Air from BB10 entirely would fix this problem, but it's obvious the issue is never going away. If you've ever scrolled on a website on an iPad or WP8 phone (even a lowly Lumia 520), you might notice how scrolling down a website produces pixel perfect smoothness. On my 10.3.1 Z10, however, it's obvious the UI isn't prioritized. Open a tab with an active process running and then open another tab to this forum and try scrolling. You'll notice huge stuttering and a general lack of smoothness. It gets worse with heavier websites like theverge. This has always been a frustrating issue for me with Android, where things like screen rotation, text input, and scrolling lacked the snappiness and smooth scrolling of "newer" OS's. I don't understand why Blackberry didn't develop BB10 to be as smooth as iOS and WP, and I'm wondering if anything can ever be done about it?
    10-23-14 06:53 PM
    Weird...The Verge is smooth for me...along with every other page, even with multiple windows and pages on...
    Paul86, gemoelle and tigrute like this.
    10-23-14 06:59 PM
    No issue on my Z30 with 10.2.1 or my Z10 10.3.1 so I have no clue what you are talking about.
    10-23-14 07:11 PM
    No issue on my Z30 with 10.2.1 or my Z10 10.3.1 so I have no clue what you are talking about.
    Can you post a video? I always see people so positive about BB 10, but I don't know what to think because my Z10 STL-3 is slow or has issues at times. I know it's a leak but even with 10.2.1 it was really wonky at times.

I was at the Apple story yesterday, and the iPhone 6 is much faster at everything...side by side comparison.

Are you guys denying it, or is it really true that your Blackberry devices really work that well?

I know the iPhone 6 is more than a year ahead in technology, but it has similar specs. Obviously the software is optimized well but I don't know what to think.

Waiting for the Classic to come out...or aZ10 successor.

I've had my Z10 for a year and Samsung S4 side by side, I've been waiting so god damn long for all these miniscule updates, enjoying these buggy leaks.

No wonder why everyone says Blackberry is dying, they need to speed up the game!
    10-23-14 07:40 PM
    No. I've never really had issues browsing.

BB10 may have some issues, but the browser is not one of them. It is easily the best mobile browser, bar none.

Keep in mind the Z10 is 2 years older then the iPhone 6 and it still has double the ram.

Via passport
    10-23-14 10:01 PM
    No issues here

Z30 Beast on Roids....
    10-23-14 10:25 PM
    Can you post a video? I always see people so positive about BB 10, but I don't know what to think because my Z10 STL-3 is slow or has issues at times. I know it's a leak but even with 10.2.1 it was really wonky at times.

I was at the Apple story yesterday, and the iPhone 6 is much faster at everything...side by side comparison.

Are you guys denying it, or is it really true that your Blackberry devices really work that well?

I know the iPhone 6 is more than a year ahead in technology, but it has similar specs. Obviously the software is optimized well but I don't know what to think.

I've had my Z10 for a year and Samsung S4 side by side, I've been waiting so god damn long for all these miniscule updates, enjoying these buggy leaks.

No wonder why everyone says Blackberry is dying, they need to speed up the game!

So you went to the Apple Store to go and compare your Z10 to the iPhone 6 and you observe that the iPhone 6 is faster.

Please do not compare the Prius to the Ford Mustang otherwise you might start to read and hear that the Toyota brand is dying. SMH.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 12:41 AM
    Instead of posting a video, or adding any useful information to what I asked, you create a crappy analogy that doesn't really make sense?

Who's the Mustang? The iPhone? Obviously it's the iPhone, the Prius just can't keep up in terms of speed. Your inner fanboy is shining brightly.

Does the truth hurt that bad? In before the hate comments spew.

I honestly like BBOS 10, just the slow, minor updates is a pain. Why do you think I still deal with my Z10 instead of selling it?

If someone has an iPhone 6 vs Z10/Z30 video that would be cool to see the results, I just played around for a few minutes to be honest so it wasn't really a fair comparison.
    10-24-14 02:15 AM
    Slow, minor updates?

I think BlackBerry have done well, 10.0, 10.1, 10,2, 10.2.1, 10.2.2 for some, 10.3 (Passport) and 10.3.1 hopefully next month) . Please go use 10.0 and and 10.2.1, the difference is huge, is it not?

To the OP, the browser is definitely ram heavy and does stutter at times as you say, I especially hate when you type something in a text box in zome websites, it lags like hell. I haven't tried it on 10.3.1 but I'm hoping in the final 10.3.1 it will be better.

Edit: The text input lag is much better then before.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 02:24 AM
    I was hoping the removal of Adobe Air from BB10 entirely would fix this problem, but it's obvious the issue is never going away. If you've ever scrolled on a website on an iPad or WP8 phone (even a lowly Lumia 520), you might notice how scrolling down a website produces pixel perfect smoothness. On my 10.3.1 Z10, however, it's obvious the UI isn't prioritized. Open a tab with an active process running and then open another tab to this forum and try scrolling. You'll notice huge stuttering and a general lack of smoothness. It gets worse with heavier websites like theverge. This has always been a frustrating issue for me with Android, where things like screen rotation, text input, and scrolling lacked the snappiness and smooth scrolling of "newer" OS's. I don't understand why Blackberry didn't develop BB10 to be as smooth as iOS and WP, and I'm wondering if anything can ever be done about it?
    First I want to say that The Verge is a poorly written website, the browser stutters even on a text only page on my Passport: http://www.theverge.com/about-the-verge. It probably has some weird JavaScript triggered on every frame when you scroll.
    Which brings me to my second point: the BlackBerry 10 browser, unlike Safari or IE10, has a desktop like implementation of viewport scrolling.
    While Safari and IE10 only use a snapshot of the page when scrolling or zooming, the BlackBerry 10 browser uses the actual viewport. This means fixed positioned elements and animated content (Flash, Gifs or CSS3 animations) can be displayed while scrolling (they are hidden or paused on iOS) and scroll events can be triggered on every frame (on iOS a scroll event is only triggered once scrolling stops). The Verge is smooth on iOS because scroll events are ignored, in other words the browser offers a limited experience compared to a desktop one. BlackBerry 10 offers the full experience, but in doing this, if a website is poorly written the scrolling animation is less smooth.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 02:26 AM
    Actually guys, I get something similar using the Passport.

Basically when touching the screen to scroll a page (incidentally, this problem isn't confined to the browser) there is an easily perceptible delay in which the UI doesn't respond. In the region of half a second, perhaps slightly longer.

It doesn't happen all the time, but it does often enough to notice it and for it to be an annoyance.

I've yet to establish whether the problem is confined to the two builds of 10.3.0 I've run.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 02:37 AM
    First I want to say that The Verge is a poorly written website, the browser stutters even on a text only page on my Passport: About The Verge | The Verge. It probably has some weird JavaScript triggered on every frame when you scroll.
    Which brings me to my second point: the BlackBerry 10 browser, unlike Safari or IE10, has a desktop like implementation of viewport scrolling.
    While Safari and IE10 only use a snapshot of the page when scrolling or zooming, the BlackBerry 10 browser uses the actual viewport. This means fixed positioned elements and animated content (Flash, Gifs or CSS3 animations) can be displayed while scrolling (they are hidden or paused on iOS) and scroll events can be triggered on every frame (on iOS a scroll event is only triggered once scrolling stops). The Verge is smooth on iOS because scroll events are ignored, in other words the browser offers a limited experience compared to a desktop one. BlackBerry 10 offers the full experience, but in doing this, if a website is poorly written the scrolling animation is less smooth.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. Other browsers have workarounds and hacks to get things to look like they are smooth. They are doing a slight of hand. And Verge is a terribly written website. It actually stutters on when I browse it using FireFox 32. I have not have anything but a smooth browsing experience on BB10 browser when the site is actually written properly.

And even the badly written verge website is pretty smooth when browsing the mobile version on my Z30. It is certainly nothing like the OP is complaining about.
    10-24-14 07:23 AM
    Well first off, you are using a leak, not the final finished official release. So by nature it will have some issues.

Secondly, my Z30 is running smoothly on the 10.3 leak and I am not experiencing the issues you are describing. It's smooth as silk.

Is it just a specific site? Is it possibly that your Internet (wifi/LTE/2G) connections might be slow/weak?

Please give more information so we can try to help you.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 07:28 AM

Look into a z30. It's frame dimension is almost identical to iPhone 6 but screen size is larger. It is leaps and bounds ahead of the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 07:30 AM
    but it's obvious the issue is never going away.
    Some sound detective work. Sounds like something my girlfriend would say!

I do non-destructive updates and I'm certain I'm running the same setup on my current Z30 from my Z10 I received Feb 5, 2013. That means no weird voodoo, magic dust, or dancing around my device while I do a security wipe. Know what I do after I run an autoloader, if I ever use one anymore? I try restoring my device before the thing is even fully booted.

Where am I going with all of this?

The browser is smooth for me, and it always has been. I'm currently on 10.3.1.938 on my Z30 by the way. No security wipes for this fella. However, the sky IS falling.
    10-24-14 07:32 AM