08-20-13 01:48 AM
61 123
tools
    Stickied for sure!! Darcy, you keep coming up with awesome tools. I can't remember having this much fun with ANY os before. Keep 'em coming.
    06-16-13 07:57 PM
    ... if you dont use the Standard Folder.

I use a Folder in the Main Directory therefore it cant find ...\Documents\Blackberry\Backup and it give me a "Unhandled Exception" in JIT Debugger
    (BTW: On a german PC the last Subdirectory which normally contains the .bbb Files is called "Sichern" -> english is "Backup")

After creating those subdirectories in the User Folder manually and manually copying my Backup Files there - it find all my Files. Would be nice to have a Option to define another Folder. But even after Changing to the lowest possible Version Number [10.0.0.0], Restore still did not work [I try a restore from Version 10.1.0.2354 to 10.2.0.228 Hybrid with .340 Radio Files and Stuff]. Before i have used this Tool i tried it manually. Thanks anyway for your work and time

BTW: Here is the Exception Code but as it is specific to my System, you maybe dont need it
    I'll see if I can fix it up tomorrow. I should be able to figure out where link stores it's settings. Or if nothing else scan directories looking for the backup files. Or allow you to browse and select your own file as a last resort.

For the restore not working, it simply may not work. This tool just helps to modify the backup to allow you to try.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 09:02 PM
    (....)
    For the restore not working, it simply may not work. This tool just helps to modify the backup to allow you to try.
    Posted via CB10
    Yes i know this is not a recovery Tool I am not a newbie to this. Just want to let you/the rest of the world known, that it didnt work.

I will check this Version out the next 24 Hours. After that (and if i cant find a solution/hint on the CB Forum to get atleast my APP Data and Settings back) i will return to .2354 as i need my Data from Remember, Mails, Messages etc.

Thank You
    Greetings from Germany
    06-16-13 09:30 PM
    Worked for me when I downgraded my mom's Z from. 2354 to. 2009. Staying away from 10.2 until I don't have to side load apps to get full functionality (not that I don't know how...just don't want to spend the time doing it).

On my sweet Z10 with CB10!
    clubbstudios likes this.
    06-16-13 09:46 PM
    Worked for me when I downgraded my mom's Z from. 2354 to. 2009. Staying away from 10.2 until I don't have to side load apps to get full functionality (not that I don't know how...just don't want to spend the time doing it).

On my sweet Z10 with CB10!
    Just load 228. Works fine with no real need to sideload much of anything.
    06-16-13 09:57 PM
    Yes i know this is not a recovery Tool I am not a newbie to this. Just want to let you/the rest of the world known, that it didnt work.

I will check this Version out the next 24 Hours. After that (and if i cant find a solution/hint on the CB Forum to get atleast my APP Data and Settings back) i will return to .2354 as i need my Data from Remember, Mails, Messages etc.

Thank You
    Greetings from Germany
    I've found where blackberry stores Link settings like the backup directory. I had a registry entry which must have been from a previous version that seems to have misled me, but it's in an xml file. I will make appropriate modifications and hope it works on a german system. I'll do some testing before uploading another version to see if I got it fixed.
    06-16-13 10:01 PM
    I've found where blackberry stores Link settings like the backup directory. I had a registry entry which must have been from a previous version that seems to have misled me, but it's in an xml file. I will make appropriate modifications and hope it works on a german system. I'll do some testing before uploading another version to see if I got it fixed.
    In an XML File? Interesting.

A Betatester is here if you need one - not only for "language specific" tests
    06-16-13 10:15 PM
    Okay i did a Security Wipe and now the restore started! I will update this Post how it goes...
    EDIT1: Restore done without any kind of error and Phone restarted. Still need to check if every Setting / Calendar Entry and so on is in the right Place.
    Edit2: Had Problems and cant restore my Contacts from the .2354 BackupFile which are stored on the Phone. Luckily i found by accident a *.VCF Backup File. User Willowbeast gave me a Tip if a App called "Contact X" from BBW Store could do it: Luckily it does. Just need to manually add the newer Contacts of course.
    //OFFTopicEndBeforeAdminOrModKillsMe
    Last edited by MeerMusik; 06-17-13 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Update 2 of 2 //OffTopic before Admin kills me ;)\\
    06-16-13 10:56 PM
    In an XML File? Interesting.

A Betatester is here if you need one - not only for "language specific" tests
    I've uploaded a new version that gets the backup folder directly from the Link settings file now. It should work, but let me know if it doesn't. I'll keep working on it until it does work.
    MeerMusik and gritsinct like this.
    06-17-13 09:15 AM
    I've uploaded a new version that gets the backup folder directly from the Link settings file now. It should work, but let me know if it doesn't. I'll keep working on it until it does work.
    Wow Thank You very much for the very Quick Fix
    It found my Backup Folder (C:\BlackBerrySichern) on my Windows 7 x64 Machine. Started this Tool without Extra Admin Rights but my Account has Full Admins Privileges anyway.

Again Thank You for this Tool! Saves me a lot of time from editing manually as i have a dozen of Backup Files.

Greetings
    Oliver
    *Like and Thanks applied to Post*
    Last edited by MeerMusik; 06-17-13 at 05:23 PM.
    06-17-13 04:57 PM
    Does this work, if we want to back-up on 10.1 & restore to 10.2? Or for that we do normal back-up & restore??
    06-22-13 03:47 PM
    Does this work, if we want to back-up on 10.1 & restore to 10.2? Or for that we do normal back-up & restore??
    It only help you try to restore when downgrading. No guarantee of success but it usually works when staying within the save version like if you were on 10.1.0.2354 but went down to 10.1.0.1880 you could use thus to quickly edit the backup file to allow you to try restoring it on 1880.

Posted via CB10
    sdgandhi likes this.
    06-22-13 10:41 PM
    Running into a problem;
    When I run the program, it seems to just stall out. Get a "program not responding". I've tried to run it on my laptop WIN7 64b and my desktop WIN7 32b. Eventually I just have to close via task manager.
    Any help?
    06-23-13 09:58 AM
    Running into a problem;
    When I run the program, it seems to just stall out. Get a "program not responding". I've tried to run it on my laptop WIN7 64b and my desktop WIN7 32b. Eventually I just have to close via task manager.
    Any help?
    You just have a big backup file. Wait until it completes. If you have a file size of 1,5 gigs, and you are running on a laptop it could easily can take a few minutes.

Posted via CB10 from my Z10.
    06-23-13 10:01 AM
    You just have a big backup file. Wait until it completes. If you have a file size of 1,5 gigs, and you are running on a laptop it could easily can take a few minutes.

I'll be trying it more later, but I have let it go for over 10 minutes? My backups are 3.5gigs because it contains a Mireo N. American map.
    06-23-13 10:15 AM
    I'll be trying it more later, but I have let it go for over 10 minutes? My backups are 3.5gigs because it contains a Mireo N. American map.
    If it's a regular hard drive, and not the fastest one, I expect it to complete in 6 mins. Unfortunately in Windows 7 task manager you cannot see the hdd load, but you can open up resource monitor and check there. As long as it keep writing the disk, it works

06-23-13 10:28 AM
    If it's a regular hard drive, and not the fastest one, I expect it to complete in 6 mins. Unfortunately in Windows 7 task manager you cannot see the hdd load, but you can open up resource monitor and check there. As long as it keep writing the disk, it works

Thanks for the info Adam! I'll be at work in a couple of hours and will try some more on my laptop. See my crossed fingers?
    06-23-13 10:31 AM
    Adam, thanks again! Patience is the key, restoring now!
    AWESOME!!!
    06-23-13 12:06 PM
    I'll see if a progress indicator is possible at some point. Dealing with flood recovery at work so a little busy for the next week or so.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 12:12 PM
    Adam, thanks again! Patience is the key, restoring now!
    AWESOME!!!
    Great news

06-23-13 12:15 PM
    I'll see if a progress indicator is possible at some point. Dealing with flood recovery at work so a little busy for the next week or so.

Posted via CB10
    That would be awesome!
    06-23-13 04:42 PM
    this should be stickied. Thanks
    06-26-13 08:57 AM
    Excellent work! Thanks Darcy
    06-26-13 04:37 PM
    Thanks so much! I was wondering about doing it manually.
    06-27-13 02:11 AM
    DTG, You Rock!
    Just a quick and simple tool that manages the backups taken from Blackberry Link. This does not actually back up your phone, it only helps manage existing backups

Most notable feature is the ability to change the OS version in the manifest quickly and easily for anyone who needs to downgrade OS and wants to try to restore their latest backup onto an older version. (No guarantee it'll restore properly, but this should allow you to try at least.

Windows application that requires .NET framework 4.

Attachment 172474

Change version - will alter the backup so it can be restored on an earlier version of OS than it was created on. Will change to the version that you type in the box above the button. Can type in any version number LOWER than the version you want to restore to. This will ask if you want to make a backup of your backup before modifying it.
    Restore - goes back to the original unmodified backup
    Delete - deleted the backup entirely

https://mega.co.nz/#!NUcjDRKR!LIuhOi...R2lNj2S0L3hY_4
    June 17th - Fixed backup location to retrieve properly from Link configuration file.
    June 15th - UI improvements, added info section. Actually made delete work.
    June 14th - initial release, I'll improve it in the next few days.

And of course the source code (complete C# project)
    https://mega.co.nz/#!4N81GJTZ!Ivce9T...v-l008Mqd1ZnQk
    06-27-13 02:22 AM
61 123