08-20-13 01:48 AM
61 123
tools

This is obsolete, please see
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...-tools-824364/
    for the latest versions

Just a quick and simple tool that manages the backups taken from Blackberry Link. This does not actually back up your phone, it only helps manage existing backups

Most notable feature is the ability to change the OS version in the manifest quickly and easily for anyone who needs to downgrade OS and wants to try to restore their latest backup onto an older version. (No guarantee it'll restore properly, but this should allow you to try at least.

Windows application that requires .NET framework 4.

Blackberry Link Backup Manager-untitled.png

Change version - will alter the backup so it can be restored on an earlier version of OS than it was created on. Will change to the version that you type in the box above the button. Can type in any version number LOWER than the version you want to restore to. This will ask if you want to make a backup of your backup before modifying it.
    Restore - goes back to the original unmodified backup
    Delete - deleted the backup entirely

This is obsolete, please see
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...-tools-824364/
    for the latest versions

June 17th - Fixed backup location to retrieve properly from Link configuration file.
    June 15th - UI improvements, added info section. Actually made delete work.
    June 14th - initial release, I'll improve it in the next few days.
    Last edited by DarcyTallGuy; 07-01-13 at 04:12 PM.
    06-14-13 08:55 PM
    Very cool man much easier than doing it manually.
    Might be suggest changing the buttons? They make me think they're going to backup/restore to the device.
    06-15-13 01:51 AM
    That's freakin' cool, man! Great job

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 05:06 AM
    Very cool idea. Thanks. This definitely gets added to my BB utilities folder.
    06-15-13 08:46 AM
    Might be suggest changing the buttons? They make me think they're going to backup/restore to the device.
    I know, any suggestions for what it should be?

It's just such a simple little tool but I saw enough people saying 'how do I do this' that I thought it might help.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 08:58 AM
    I could take out the back up button and just check when making the version change... And change restore to 'return to original version'.

Thinking i'll add an info section too that'll show some details about a selected backup. Not that there's much to display...

Not sure what else can be done. Not many things you can do here since the backups are encrypted after being tar and zipped on he device.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 09:07 AM
    You could name it like, backup .bbb file. Also it seems that the files are created instantly with allocated space hut there are no indication of work in progress. Finishing the job just popped up after a few minutes. I think you can indicate this with a non-modal window.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 09:10 AM
    Would it work with 10.2?

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 09:18 AM
    Would it work with 10.2?

Posted via CB10
    Like if you were on 10.2 made a backup and wanted to restore it back to 10.1? It should modify the backup to allow you to try.

Whether it will restore everything properly or not I can't say. It's much safer when just going between minor revisions.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 09:42 AM
    You could name it like, backup .bbb file. Also it seems that the files are created instantly with allocated space hut there are no indication of work in progress. Finishing the job just popped up after a few minutes. I think you can indicate this with a non-modal window.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, it needs some UI work still. My backups are only 300mb or so and I run on SSDs on all my computers so a complete copy would typically take less than a second anyway and there's no indicator saying a backup has been made yet either, but I'm trying to think about people with a traditional hard drive in an older computer with potentially huge backup files... I'll work on it some and try clean it up.

Posted via CB10
    Candelo114 likes this.
    06-15-13 09:48 AM
    Yeah, it needs some UI work still. My backups are only 300mb or so and I run on SSDs on all my computers so a complete copy would typically take less than a second anyway and there's no indicator saying a backup has been made yet either, but I'm trying to think about people with a traditional hard drive in an older computer with potentially huge backup files... I'll work on it some and try clean it up.

Posted via CB10
    great, thanks, really appreciate your efforts. maybe it took some time, because i'm running an autoloader creation at the same time and my back up is more than 1,5 gbyte.
    06-15-13 09:53 AM
    Yeah I like the "backup bbb" suggestion
    Having a delay/working pop up wouldn't be needed if you send me a SSD
    06-15-13 09:59 AM
    Is this backup also include word substitution?

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 10:48 AM
    Is this backup also include word substitution?

Posted via CB10
    It only manages existing backups, not make new ones.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 11:01 AM
    Darcy, you have just made my life easier. if i wasn't already married I would ask you to marry me!
    Hamilton Guy likes this.
    06-15-13 11:20 AM
    Darcy, you have just made my life easier. if i wasn't already married I would ask you to marry me!
    I'm married too, which is why I'm a little slower with these updates, but thank you anyway

Any other requests to make your life easier? I'm always open to ideas.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 11:37 AM
    Wicked...this thread needs to be stickied!
    06-15-13 11:40 AM
    Darcy: so there's no way to open the tar files? I just restored to the same build, and now the restore of settings didn't stuck at 100%. so i guess the restore problem for many is should be within that part...

But if you want to add new functions... You can add a selection box to which part of backup should be included in the new version number bbb file.
    06-15-13 11:57 AM
    Darcy: so there's no way to open the tar files? I just restored to the same build, and now the restore of settings didn't stuck at 100%. so i guess the restore problem for many is should be within that part...

But if you want to add new functions... You can add a selection box to which part of backup should be included in the new version number bbb file.
    No way at all... the script on the blackberry that creates these goes something like this...

Create tar file (like a zip, but not compressed)
    compress it
    encrypt it against a private key which is associated with your blackberry id
    Then send the file to the computer.

Basically it needs that key to decrypt it. And even if that were possible it could potentially lead to piracy of paid apps so I don't know that it'd be ethical to share that sort of method.

As for the versions, so far it's safe to simply set to 10.0.0.0 and it'll restore to any version of OS. simply put it just checks to see if the version on your phone is > or = the version in the manifest. You could probably set it to version 0.0.0.0 and it'd still restore to any version OS. Just don't set it any higher or Link will reject the restore.
    06-15-13 12:12 PM
    Basically it needs that key to decrypt it. And even if that were possible it could potentially lead to piracy of paid apps so I don't know that it'd be ethical to share that sort of method.
    If I have some time, probably check that if I can even locate the key and encryption method. But I would not support to use it for piracy at all. It's more then enough for people to sideload pirated android apps.
    06-15-13 12:21 PM
    Wicked...this thread needs to be stickied!
    Not sure that this one little tool deserves to be stickied, but perhaps a sticky with links to all the various tools like sachup?
    gritsinct and 3hb78ftg like this.
    06-15-13 12:22 PM
    Thanks.
    Never thought of making a tool for this because you can just open the .bbb in 7-zip and then edit the manifest directly.

Is there anything else this tool could be used for in the future? Otherwise it might be better if you had a tool that just auto-changed all backup files to 10.0.0?

Or better yet, modify BB Link so it automatically sets version to 10.0.0.0 when it creates the backup in the first place. (This is quite easy!)
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-16-13 05:16 AM
    Thanks.
    Never thought of making a tool for this because you can just open the .bbb in 7-zip and then edit the manifest directly.

Is there anything else this tool could be used for in the future? Otherwise it might be better if you had a tool that just auto-changed all backup files to 10.0.0?

Or better yet, modify BB Link so it automatically sets version to 10.0.0.0 when it creates the backup in the first place. (This is quite easy!)
    It's quite easy for some of us, but there are some people who don't know about 7zip, winrar, etc. I saw enough people wondering how to do it that I figured a tool would be useful. Auto changing them might be an idea, but not sure how long that'd take if someone has a lot of large backups.

As for changing Link, it's definitely an idea but would it have to be reapplied every time Link is upgraded? A better option might be modifying it to take out the version check when doing the restore?

I know this doesn't do much, but it does simplify that one task.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-16-13 08:00 AM
    Thanks.

I find the tool extremely useful as I have 7zip and do know how to use it but found my self getting confused with the instructions on actually how to rename (now it could have been because I was tired when I tried). With this tool I don't even have to think about it. I put in what I want to change the file to and it does it. Love it!

On my sweet Z10 with CB10!
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-16-13 09:59 AM
    ... if you dont use the Standard Folder.

I use a Folder in the Main Directory therefore it cant find ...\Documents\Blackberry\Backup and it give me a "Unhandled Exception" in JIT Debugger
    (BTW: On a german PC the last Subdirectory which normally contains the .bbb Files is called "Sichern" -> english is "Backup")

After creating those subdirectories in the User Folder manually and manually copying my Backup Files there - it find all my Files. Would be nice to have a Option to define another Folder. But even after Changing to the lowest possible Version Number [10.0.0.0], Restore still did not work [I try a restore from Version 10.1.0.2354 to 10.2.0.228 Hybrid with .340 Radio Files and Stuff]. Before i have used this Tool i tried it manually. Thanks anyway for your work and time

BTW: Here is the Exception Code but as it is specific to my System, you maybe dont need it.************** Exception Text **************
    System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Oliver\Documents\Blackberry\Backup\'.
    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1.CommonIni t()
    at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(Str ing path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler)
    at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames( String path, String userPathOriginal, String searchPattern, Boolean includeFiles, Boolean includeDirs, SearchOption searchOption)
    at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFiles(String path, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)
    at BB10BackupManager.Form1.GetBackupList()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.296 (RTMGDR.030319-2900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    BB10BackupManager
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.1
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/ImportantStuff/BB10BackupManager_June15,2013/BB10BackupManager.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1002 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1001 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1001 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    Last edited by MeerMusik; 06-16-13 at 08:02 PM.
    06-16-13 07:51 PM
61 123