08-03-14 11:42 AM
101 ... 2345
tools
    If you don't mind my asking, why do you go to such lengths to remove these apps/files?

Posted via CB10
    people try to free up memory and speed(placebo effect) even though there isn't any benefit, except allowing for a few 100MB of storage.

I wouldn't worry about it and let them do what they do :P
    04-04-14 11:26 AM
    I'll use voice assistant if at least it is as good as the one inside nick fury's car..

Posted via CB10
    rflan7 likes this.
    04-04-14 11:37 AM
    I'm still waiting to see actual statistics on how many people actually use voice assistants. IMO, it's a thing for now but will die off eventually or evolve. I'd prefer to use something like that at the evolved stage, not early adoption.
    In the last couple of years, I have done some voluntary work with a charity for the blind and visually impaired - they have been supporting Siri (teaching it to newly blind clients as part of rehabilitation classes, etc) for some time as they find it extremely useful for the visually impaired
    04-04-14 01:01 PM
    well voice Assistant feature is useless for me as i never used one. and im sure i will never use them.
    04-04-14 02:50 PM
    I'm still waiting to see actual statistics on how many people actually use voice assistants. IMO, it's a thing for now but will die off eventually or evolve. I'd prefer to use something like that at the evolved stage, not early adoption.
    My uses for Voice Assistant would be modes of convenience when I need answers for common questions such as weather, currency rates, news and traffic updates, and when I need to look up something or some place.
    04-04-14 04:55 PM
    Never used it and unless it can understand colloquial conversational commands, I never will.
    On my Nexus 4, I can say:

• Play some music (starts playing music on Shuffle).
    • Call my girlfriend/brother/business partner (calls the correct person, after telling Google Now once that "Josh is my brother" and so on)

It can also remember contexts from previous commands (in some, but not all cases yet - it's always improving). For example, I can ask "What is the weather like in Sacramento?", and after hearing the answer, I can ask "How far from here to there?" and I will get the correct distance (and a button to navigate there via GPS).

While it is not FULLY conversational yet, it literally has improvements every couple of weeks. But perhaps the MOST valuable things are all of the things you DON'T have to ask for, because it will learn those things by scanning your emails or looking at your location history. If you tell GN where you live and work (or, if it figures it out and gets your confirmation), GN will evaluate traffic conditions and notify you, in advance, when you need to leave for work, based on current traffic conditions, so an accident 20 miles away that would make you 15 minute late for work can be compensated for.

Here's a good list of Google Now/Voice Commands, for comparison:

BlackBerry Assistant in 10.3 - better than Cortana from Microsoft?-list-google-now-commads-infographic-v21.jpg
    04-04-14 06:48 PM
    On my Nexus 4, I can say:

• Play some music (starts playing music on Shuffle).
    • Call my girlfriend/brother/business partner (calls the correct person, after telling Google Now once that "Josh is my brother" and so on)

It can also remember contexts from previous commands (in some, but not all cases yet - it's always improving). For example, I can ask "What is the weather like in Sacramento?", and after hearing the answer, I can ask "How far from here to there?" and I will get the correct distance (and a button to navigate there via GPS).

While it is not FULLY conversational yet, it literally has improvements every couple of weeks. But perhaps the MOST valuable things are all of the things you DON'T have to ask for, because it will learn those things by scanning your emails or looking at your location history. If you tell GN where you live and work (or, if it figures it out and gets your confirmation), GN will evaluate traffic conditions and notify you, in advance, when you need to leave for work, based on current traffic conditions, so an accident 20 miles away that would make you 15 minute late for work can be compensated for.

Here's a good list of Google Now/Voice Commands, for comparison:
    No offense, but what is that crap? I know their voice recognition is far ahead of what BB10 has, but that is just a bunch of fluff. Is there really no "read my last message..." command?
    04-05-14 10:09 PM
    I was sick last Friday, and having realized I didn't own a thermometer, I wanted to save a reminder to myself to buy one. Took three tries to get it right, and the first two were the same:

Attachment 260389

Third time worked:

Attachment 260390

She says "Eff" for the F*** words. I lol. I'd pay extra to unlock swear words.
    OMG that made me laugh... on first glance I went "huh?!", but... wow...
    04-06-14 12:06 AM
    Am I the only one not impressed with it? Honestly it's just got things Google and Apple have had for years along with the fact that I can already do most of the stuff on my blackberry already!

Posted via CB10
    kevets and UnlimitedEra like this.
    04-08-14 07:17 PM
    No offense, but what is that crap? I know their voice recognition is far ahead of what BB10 has, but that is just a bunch of fluff. Is there really no "read my last message..." command?
    Moto x has it! You ask it "what's up" not sure if it migrated to Google now yet though.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 07:18 PM
    Moto x has it! You ask it "what's up" not sure if it migrated to Google now yet though.

Posted via CB10
    That is useful, but it's annoying that it's particular to a type of phone. There is no reason that the baked in system isn't great on its own. I think Apple has a pretty fast system but they also put hundreds of millions of dollars into infrastructure.

Could BlackBerry use a few extra kilobytes to do the processing locally for some 'hot' commands like the basic messaging stuff? Not having to shoot everything up to the cloud (and have it fail half the time) for processing would be a huge advantage.
    04-08-14 10:53 PM
    well voice Assistant feature is useless for me as i never used one. and im sure i will never use them.
    I'm sure you'd use something like Moto X always listening feature in a car. If you ever touch your phone you will get a fine.

Just like Microsoft Sync for Fords, that's an unreal feature.
    04-08-14 11:04 PM
    All of these virtual assistants suck today. Instead of all this work on bells and whistles they ought to focus on better speech recognition. If you have even the slightest accent when speaking English you can forget about voice control or virtual assistants.

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    04-09-14 09:27 AM
    Does the "always on" voice assistant respond if your car radio is on to a blog channel? Seems that may be a problem...no?

Trusted Member Genius
    04-13-14 03:59 AM
    I used the voice assistant on 10.3 out of curiosity.
    On my Z30 with 10.2.1, when I dictate the sentence 'There was significant mitochondrial dysfunction of the endothelial cells' it always struggled with mitochondrial and endothelial, whereas 10.3 got it right the first time. Siri gets it wrong also.

So for me, it may help with email and BBM dictations.

Using it for jokes and for fun would wear thin soon,
    Wow

Trusted Member Genius
    04-13-14 04:01 AM
    Lets wait for the release 10.3 and then come to a conclusion...
    I'm hoping that BlackBerry does something good which helps them sell more phones...
    As of now.. this is all that I care about and I will use Voice Assistance if its good

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 06:01 AM
    It can only get better!

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 11:48 PM
    I'm definitely sure that BlackBerry assistant will have a huge advance if it can be use offline mode...

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 03:22 AM
    I've been testing a Lumia 1020 running the WP 8.1 dev beta for a month and I gotta say Cortana is pretty badass. The first voice assistant that I was actively using everyday to set up alarms, create and move appointments or reminders and even look for stuff on the internet. It recognized my voice better than any other assistant (even Siri), it had a nice voice, it was fun to use and most importantly - it was useful. Now BlackBerry Voice Assistant doesn't work in the lastest 10.3.0.700 leak, but from what I've tested on previous versions, I was pretty disappointed, even the universal search got messier, there's a lot of UI that needs to be redone to keep up with the BlackBerry flow. I hope BB will eventually fix the assistant to a functional state, but realistically I don't think it will beat the other platforms any time soon.

P.S.: Here's just a bunch of my screenshot from Cortana, including a few of the funny ones, I hope you don't mind this image spamming
    BlackBerry Assistant in 10.3 - better than Cortana from Microsoft?-wp_ss_20140523_0011.pngBlackBerry Assistant in 10.3 - better than Cortana from Microsoft?-wp_ss_20140523_0017.pngBlackBerry Assistant in 10.3 - better than Cortana from Microsoft?-wp_ss_20140523_0036.pngBlackBerry Assistant in 10.3 - better than Cortana from Microsoft?-wp_ss_20140523_0041.pngBlackBerry Assistant in 10.3 - better than Cortana from Microsoft?-wp_ss_20140523_0044.pngBlackBerry Assistant in 10.3 - better than Cortana from Microsoft?-wp_ss_20140523_0066.pngBlackBerry Assistant in 10.3 - better than Cortana from Microsoft?-wp_ss_20140524_0001.pngBlackBerry Assistant in 10.3 - better than Cortana from Microsoft?-wp_ss_20140524_0012.pngBlackBerry Assistant in 10.3 - better than Cortana from Microsoft?-wp_ss_20140525_0001-2.pngBlackBerry Assistant in 10.3 - better than Cortana from Microsoft?-wp_ss_20140602_0006.png
    08-02-14 06:54 PM
    Whaooo ! ^^^

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 08:15 PM
    Cortana is way better, I've had a nokia 1520 and Cortana blows all the assistants away..... hate to admit but it's the truth

Posted via CB10
    Ruslan Botsyurko likes this.
    08-02-14 08:22 PM
    Cortana is way better, I've had a nokia 1520 and Cortana blows all the assistants away..... hate to admit but it's the truth

Posted via CB10
    So You got your hands on a build with a functional Intelligent Assistant? Lucky you.

I would say that this thread is pointless, seeing as everyone that has used Intelligent Assistant is under NDA.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 11:16 PM
    I have been using Cortana since April with the Dev Preview on my Lumia 920 - have to say, I like where MS is taking this. Even though it is still in beta with features rolling out rapidly, out of the gate Cortana actually was (and is) useful and informative. It integrates well with both our vehicles, handles text messaging simply and accurately over Bluetooth, and the navigation with Here maps is superb. Finding stuff while traveling is a snap, and the Remind Me feature is golden! I am looking forward to BlackBerry OS 10.3 and the Blackberry Assistant to see how well the Maluuba based system works. They (BlackBerry and Maluuba) seem to have some impressive stuff up their sleeves. If it is half as good as Cortana, it will be awesome!

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 04:31 AM
    So You got your hands on a build with a functional Intelligent Assistant? Lucky you.

I would say that this thread is pointless, seeing as everyone that has used Intelligent Assistant is under NDA.
    That's not completely truth. I know you've responded to another user, but I've had a chance to test Intelligent Assistant on one leaked build where it worked (although it was at the early stages) and even now a version from .686 build is half-working - I can launch it and test most of the functions, just the search and the voice recognition doesn't work. But just the UI is quite enough for me to say that it needs lots of work. It may sound ridiculous because voice assistant is all about voice control, but both Intelligent Assistant and Cortana have similar features for manual launching, you can type the same requests you would usually say out loud (because sometimes it is not approriate to talk to your phone), so at least we can see where BlackBerry is heading with its Assistant. Here's a few screenshots from the latest available Intelligent assistant.
    BlackBerry Assistant in 10.3 - better than Cortana from Microsoft?-img_20140803_125155.pngBlackBerry Assistant in 10.3 - better than Cortana from Microsoft?-img_20140803_125900.pngBlackBerry Assistant in 10.3 - better than Cortana from Microsoft?-img_20140803_125907.pngBlackBerry Assistant in 10.3 - better than Cortana from Microsoft?-img_20140803_125911.pngBlackBerry Assistant in 10.3 - better than Cortana from Microsoft?-img_20140803_125917.pngBlackBerry Assistant in 10.3 - better than Cortana from Microsoft?-img_20140803_125920.png
    08-03-14 07:01 AM
    That's not completely truth. I know you've responded to another user, but I've had a chance to test Intelligent Assistant on one leaked build where it worked (although it was at the early stages) and even now a version from .686 build is half-working - I can launch it and test most of the functions, just the search and the voice recognition doesn't work. But just the UI is quite enough for me to say that it needs lots of work. It may sound ridiculous because voice assistant is all about voice control, but both Intelligent Assistant and Cortana have similar features for manual launching, you can type the same requests you would usually say out loud (because sometimes it is not approriate to talk to your phone), so at least we can see where BlackBerry is heading with its Assistant. Here's a few screenshots from the latest available Intelligent assistant.
    The thing is, they're talking about voice control. Which no one here, could talk about even if they had used it.
    08-03-14 10:57 AM
101 ... 2345