To be honest, I don't think it's even possible for it to be better. Cortana and Siri use Bing while Google now uses Google to gather data. I know that people tend to think of Bing and Google.com as just search engines, but they're actually way more than that. They're a database of basically the entire internet and how people use it. Without that information, they would be useless. Even an employee from Microsoft (can't remember which) said "Cortana wouldn't exist if it weren't for the power of Bing". Unless Blackberry uses Google (which Google probably wouldn't allow, just like how it doesn't allow it's other services) or Bing (which Microsoft probably wouldn't allow so that way Blackberry can't compete with Cortana) , then it would have to create it's own search engine equivalent to the kind of information that Cortana and Google Now provide, since the thing about Cortana and Google Now is that they learn about what you're doing so it can predict what you need before you need it (although you have more control over Cortana, so that's a great thing for privacy concerns), and I'm just not sure how Blackberry could manage that.
    Drew808 likes this.
    04-03-14 04:02 PM
    I try to use and would like to use the voice assistant when I'm driving but it often doesn't understand my native language.

Texan.

Dialing is the only thing that I can get to work most of the time.
    Well to be fair, most of us don't understand your native language either
    Nharzhool likes this.
    04-03-14 04:15 PM
    I was sick last Friday, and having realized I didn't own a thermometer, I wanted to save a reminder to myself to buy one. Took three tries to get it right, and the first two were the same:

Attachment 260389

Third time worked:

Attachment 260390

She says "Eff" for the F*** words. I lol. I'd pay extra to unlock swear words.
    I like how BlackBerry thinks.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 04:35 PM
    Moto X makes Siri look like a joke.

Just think of an assistant that doesn't just understand better and attached to Google Now. Best voice assistant and be overall assistant. It's so good that it's creepy. Look up Google Now videos, it's nuts.
    You walk into a restaurant and a coupon just pops up on your phone without you even touching it.
    I have a Moto X and I love that Google Now went into my gmail and pulled my flight info automatically and told me my flight number, Time of departure, whether it was on time and the ticket number.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    04-03-14 04:37 PM
    I have a Moto X and I love that Google Now went into my gmail and pulled my flight info automatically and told me my flight number, Time of departure, whether it was on time and the ticket number.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    haha sooo lucky. i want that on my Z30
    04-03-14 04:47 PM
    I'm hoping everyone knows where the name Cortana came from
    04-03-14 04:49 PM
    haloo, it's good marketing. Blackberry just buy the trademark on Jarvis from Iron Man
    Djlatino likes this.
    04-03-14 04:51 PM
    no google services work on BB10 but if one day they find a loophole, I can't see it ever working as effectively as it does on android

All blackberry needs to do is tie in their Universal search with always on voice controls. Make a nice interface, for online (try to get google cards like google now has)

Our universal search, I personally think is better then any platform but it is incredibly under rated and under used within the OS.
    I didn't think so but figured they may have figured out a way to get by now. Thanks for the info!
    anon(5818411) likes this.
    04-03-14 04:59 PM
    From reading the blogs, I gather that it came from Halo. Now to find out what Halo is...
    Nharzhool and clickitykeys like this.
    04-03-14 07:26 PM
    From reading the blogs, I gather that it came from Halo. Now to find out what Halo is...
    *gasp*
    anon(5818411) and meltbox360 like this.
    04-03-14 07:27 PM
    I think this might be my favourite post, ever...of all time.

Time to go Wash my mouth out now...

I'm going to go watch that again now...
    04-03-14 08:55 PM
    I use it when I'm driving. I like having the shortcut on my car display to access it. However before 10.3 the voice recognition sux. 10.3 seems to be better but doesn't recognize a lot though.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 09:02 PM
    I watched a colleague try voice command on his iphone 5s today while trying to dictate a search on google but it couldn't get it right. Wondering what's up with that? Think I will wait until it evolves as mentioned

Q10 with Telus on 10.2.1.2141
    04-03-14 09:08 PM
    Hopefully it is

Microsoft is taking their sweet time on releasing it. Nothing will compraeto google now.

Posted via CB10
    Google Now isn't that great. I actually use S Voice more than Google Now. More Device Integration, better ties to external services (Facebook, Twitter), and simply more capable.

Google Now is great for the Predictive Stuff, but if you do not use Chrome and barely ever use Gmail then it simply isn't that useful. Google has very fast Voice Recognition as well, which gives it a leg up on almost anything else on the market (it's even faster than Siri). But as a digital assistant? I'm not even sure I can call it that. It's more predictive search that happens in the background without you having to speak to the device. Cortana does that already, with your Microsoft account... So, they don't *really* have to worry about that.

Google is launching search in apps, but Microsoft came out of the gate with the APIs for Developers to integrate with Cortana. They are also a bit better than Google in "Social Search" (deals with both Facebook and Twitter), so that helps them as well.

Also, some of the details of what they did are pretty nice. If you ask Cortana for the best Restaurant nearby it shows you the one with the best Yelp reviews. If you ask if for the best Restaurants nearby then it will give you a list of the ones with the best reviews. I like that they have gone that far to pay attention to the details.

I dislike the fact that Google Now requires extensive amounts of use before it can be considered "set up." Cortana seems a lot more configurable out of the box so it will be a lot useful after, say, 30 minutes than Google Now is to me after a year+ of owning a JB+ device. You can spend 30 minutes setting her up the way you want without worrying about things that are utterly useless popping up, like the way Google Now routinely asks me if I want traffic updates to places that I've never been to, have never searched for, and have no interest in.

Cortana with its Notebook and deep device integration looks really good. It seems better than Google Now to me, and the speech recognition is fast and accurate (Windows Phone has never been weak there). However, It's on Windows Phone, and I need some apps that aren't available on Windows Phone to get **** done, which is more important to me than upgrading for a better virtual assistant app.

Google Now: Predicive Search [Predominantly] + Universal Device Search
    Siri, S Voice: AI Voice Assistances (For Universal Device Search: Apple has Spotlight and Samsung has S Finder)
    Cortana: A combination of the above.
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 04-03-14 at 10:24 PM.
    BCITMike likes this.
    04-03-14 10:06 PM
    Haven't used voice assistance. And as of now I don't find it that useful YET.

My 1st choice of smartphone (not smartTOY), BlackBerry.
    It won't make you coffee, but they cover the basics. Telling them to Play certain songs, Set Alarms, Remind you of things, Send Text Messages, even Post to Twitter or Facebook (not Google Now) works well. You can have them real you your statuses for Texts (even the messages and who they're from, and reply to them), missed calls, Voice Mails, etc.

It just depends on what your expectations are. I use them where appropriate. I'm in the rink with my phone in my pocket have two pairs of gloves on. At that point even removing my S Pen from my device is a hassle, Lol. So I long press the button on my wired headset and talk to S Voice instead. She does what I ask her to do, and I move on :-)

I do not talk to Voice Assistances to type long posts/texts. I only use Voice Typing in text fields where it happens on the fly (at least on Android devices) so that I can correct errors when they happen and then continue on, via voice. If I use that without seeing the screen I never know what may be getting sent to the other person, the forum, or whatever. I do have it set to Asterisk bad words, so that's at least covered in case it thinks it heard something obscene :-P
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 04-03-14 at 10:24 PM.
    04-03-14 10:10 PM
    I think this might be my favourite post, ever...of all time.

Time to go Wash my mouth out now...

I'm going to go watch that again now...
    Glad to be of service!
    Nharzhool likes this.
    04-03-14 10:15 PM
    High altitude low opening parachute jump. I'm not seeing the connection MS (jk)

Visit my channel @ C0029395D
    Djlatino, 21stNow and eldricho like this.
    04-04-14 12:59 AM
    Both aren't even out to market yet and you expect us to come out and say one is better than the other....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-04-14 01:22 AM
    Both aren't even out to market yet and you expect us to come out and say one is better than the other....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Haha yep, in true CrackBerry style. SMH...

Mmm...CB10! Just the tip though...
    04-04-14 05:43 AM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    The (potential of the) BBRY one can't be as good, the infrastructure simply doesn't exist - so while they might be able to do some of the ondevice voice feature to a comparable level, BBRY simply doesn't have the hooks to compete against the client and server model MS/Google has. So even if in the short-term, some of the features are comparable, over time the gap will accelerate because they aren't all spending billions on data centres for no reason.
    Drew808 likes this.
    04-04-14 06:57 AM
    I will probably only use it when I'm driving so I hope they focus on features that you would use in a car. Music, GPS, calls, and read and reply to email, txt AND BBM.

Posted via CB10 on ZED10
    04-04-14 07:09 AM
    Not only would I not use a voice assistant, I delete VAD and all voice options on my phones.
    Let's hope it fills someone's niche.
    04-04-14 07:25 AM
    I don't want to have a conversation with it. Don't care if it knows my name. All it needs to do is have a basic set of commands that work well and have a list of them. I would die if they had a way to read my last message and when it finished, asked if I wanted to reply, read next message, or read previous.

That, and voice input needs a little help.
    04-04-14 07:45 AM
    Not only would I not use a voice assistant, I delete VAD and all voice options on my phones.
    Let's hope it fills someone's niche.
    If you don't mind my asking, why do you go to such lengths to remove these apps/files?

Posted via CB10
    anon(5818411) likes this.
    04-04-14 07:52 AM
    Voice assistant is useful, end of story.
    Some don't like it and some do, some use it and some find it awkward.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Last edited by omar ayman; 04-04-14 at 10:37 AM.
    04-04-14 09:04 AM
101 12345