I was wondering something...
    The carriers are the big liability with BlackBerry 10 and the major issue why we don't get updates when they've are released.

But i was thinking... the major components that the carriers might worry about it the Radio - all the rest is irrelevant. (Just in the same way that you can install pretty much anything via app world - without carrier restrictions, or write your own, sideload.)

So BlackBerry 10 is quite modular - looking at the upgrade files via Sachibar. Would it not be possible for BlackBerry to release the radio via the carriers while releasing the rest if the OS directly to the consumer?

(And yes, I am fully aware that it is the incompetence of carriers that means that the official OS is dated... for example O2 UK are still on 1720...)

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 01:12 AM
    No, because the apps aren't the same as the coreOS. The radio is so integrated into everything that the phone does that changes to the radio code often require changes of the coreOS, so if the two aren't included together you could have issues with compatibility (such as some people reported with some 10.1.0.4xxx OS builds with 10.1.0.2xxx radios).
    06-05-13 02:05 AM
    No, because the apps aren't the same as the coreOS. The radio is so integrated into everything that the phone does that changes to the radio code often require changes of the coreOS, so if the two aren't included together you could have issues with compatibility (such as some people reported with some 10.1.0.4xxx OS builds with 10.1.0.2xxx radios).
    At the moment, but BlackBerry could change that.
    Individual core apps,such as say text messaging are no longer a part of the OS.

BlackBerry went all the way to use QNX which is a micro kernel and made the OS modular but then cannot utilise it's full potential...

I am not talking about current releases, but future releases.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 02:09 AM
    But text messages still have to communicate with the radio to be sent. If there's a disconnect between the radio code and the SMS code, SMS won't work (had that exact problem after mixing some files between .2354 and .1880 earlier this week).
    06-05-13 02:15 AM
    But text messages still have to communicate with the radio to be sent. If there's a disconnect between the radio code and the SMS code, SMS won't work (had that exact problem after mixing some files between .2354 and .1880 earlier this week).
    The question is though, do they have to be connected? A text message is just some text with a number attached - pass that on to the radio and let it handle the specifics.
    I cannot see why there cannot be a generic interface between the OS, it's modules and radio.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 02:47 AM
    And there is also a connect between the OS and APN and other carrier specific settings

As BB10 matures, I believe we will see a more modulated approach
    06-05-13 09:31 AM
    The question is though, do they have to be connected? A text message is just some text with a number attached - pass that on to the radio and let it handle the specifics.
    I cannot see why there cannot be a generic interface between the OS, it's modules and radio.

Posted via CB10
    Oh my, there is so much more to it, you have no idea. You're over simplifying it by 100000x times!

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 09:39 AM
    The question is though, do they have to be connected? A text message is just some text with a number attached - pass that on to the radio and let it handle the specifics. I cannot see why there cannot be a generic interface between the OS, it's modules and radio.Posted via CB10
    Yes, they have to be connected. Or I suppose you could just build everything into the radio file, and then you'd be OK.
    06-05-13 10:01 AM
    Oh my, there is so much more to it, you have no idea. You're over simplifying it by 100000x times!

Posted via CB10
    There is more to it, but there is not more than the core OS needs to handle.
    The aspects like encoding are completely irrelevant at any point except when sensing the message.

The sane even goes for phone calls - it's audio in and out on the OS side, nothing more. Move anything that has to son with transmission to the radio and keep the rest independent.

You can create a lot of interdependence, but but it does not have to be there if you design it to be truly modular.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 10:02 AM
    As BB10 matures, I believe we will see a more modulated approach
    Like the iterative updates that were flagged for the Playbook?
    06-06-13 03:59 PM