08-29-16 05:38 AM
46 12
tools
    Is there any way to save/backup or Restore our BBM Conversations?

My BBM messages are just as important if not more than my SMS/MMS Text messages and I can save my Text messages with both BlackBerry Link and 3rd party apps, and when the Carrier actually pushes an OS Update (Lol) I still have my BBM messages....

However, when I load all these OS Leaks, regardless if I do a backup thru BlackBerry Link each time, or even when I select save chat history within the BBM setting, I lose it every time I run the OS autoloader and log back into BBM, it simply does not Restore my BBM messages :'(

Am I missing a crucial Step, or is it a BlackBerry security measure and there is no way to save BBM Chats/Messages?

Your Feedback and Comments are Truly Appreciated, Thank you!
    12-27-13 10:04 AM
    You need to restore app data using link. You will have the bbm chat history back.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 10:17 AM
    I'm still missing a step, because I have accomplished that step each time I load the Leaked OS and do a full Restore (I Restore with Link upon initial Setup, but first log into BBM).
    12-27-13 10:39 AM
    Did you have it turned on in settings to save chat history.

Posted on my Z30 on CB10.
    12-27-13 11:53 AM
    Yes I do, I ensure to enable that slider option. I do need to login to BBM upon initial setups, yes?

I read on another post that BBM messages cannot be reloaded/recovered onto these OS Leaks, and so far this is my experience , but hoping this is not the case, in fact, this is the only reason I haven't jumped on the Amazing 10.2.1.1925 Leak.
    12-27-13 12:03 PM
    Yes I do, I ensure to enable that slider option. I do need to login to BBM upon initial setups, yes?

I read on another post that BBM messages cannot be reloaded/recovered onto these OS Leaks, and so far this is my experience , but hoping this is not the case, in fact, this is the only reason I haven't jumped on the Amazing 10.2.1.1925 Leak.
    so jump on the new release and start saving them again, mine save
    12-27-13 12:15 PM
    There is a trick... Once you've installed your new OS, BEFORE you restore your backup you need to do a few things.

Starting with the first boot of the freshly installed OS...

1.) Do not sign into BBID when prompted to by the setup wizard / app, just swipe right to skip it.
    2.) Install the latest BBM or whatever version you want to be running from app world or beta zone app.
    3.) Open BBM, let it sign in and connect to your BBID. Then allow it to COMPLETELY restore what it can. (Everything but open chats) Groups and contacts need to be fully restored before going past this point.
    4.) Do any other housework you have, install sideloaded apps, apps from app world, whatever.
    5.) Set your BB to airplane mode and reboot.
    6.) After it's booted, wait 3-5 minutes from when you see the lock screen (DO NOT UNLOCK IT YET), then do your restore from link.
    7.) Profit

I follow steps similar to that with each OS upgrade and I haven't lost any of my conversations yet.
    12-27-13 12:43 PM
    Thank you, I will definitely give that process a spin (fingers crossed)
    12-27-13 12:47 PM
    I'm willing to bet the step you were missing is step 3, BBM has to get reconnected before you do your restore, or it wipes all your chats when it does it.

Normally I open BBM up and let it get synced while I start downloading some of my apps from BBW and sideloading the others. It takes a few if you have lots of groups, just make sure it's done and settled in before you restore. I watch the device monitor and wait until BBM is either idle or using less than 2% CPU to verify it's done it's thing and is completely setup.
    12-27-13 12:58 PM
    Nice! Thank you so much for the step by step breakdown; it's been so frustrating losing important past BBM Chat Conversations each time I uploaded a new leak. I will definitely let you know if it works, sure sounds like the trick and the step process I was missing all along (ughhh) ....
    12-27-13 02:31 PM
    Thank you HaTaX! I followed your step-by-step instructions and it worked like a Charm! What a Great Relief, only wish I knew this process earlier this year, ughhh, BBM Chat History Saved; Thank you again!
    HaTaX likes this.
    12-28-13 04:27 PM
    Managed to get this to work thanks
    Last edited by rockivy; 01-01-14 at 01:32 AM.
    12-31-13 10:19 PM
    Thanks for the detailed step-by-step instructions. However, after a few attempts and variations this didn't work for me. Once the phone powered back on again and I clicked on BBM it went through the restore process itself (like when you first signed in when the OS was freshly installed and it imported the contacts) and so I think in that process the chat history was lost. I tried both when enabling chat history before the restore and also not enabling chat history before the restore.

Potentially a slight difference which could be messing up the process here is I was doing a device switch from a Z10 to Q10 (so the restore file in Link was labelled as "Switch" in the file name), and wasn't going to a leaked OS but just what is the most current release supported by my mobile carrier. When I tried to re-activate BBM on my Z10 (the old device) the chat history was gone there too. I did the "switch"/backup before unlinking BBM from the Z10.
    01-01-14 12:51 PM
    Is there any way to save/backup or Restore our BBM Conversations?

My BBM messages are just as important if not more than my SMS/MMS Text messages and I can save my Text messages with both BlackBerry Link and 3rd party apps, and when the Carrier actually pushes an OS Update (Lol) I still have my BBM messages....

However, when I load all these OS Leaks, regardless if I do a backup thru BlackBerry Link each time, or even when I select save chat history within the BBM setting, I lose it every time I run the OS autoloader and log back into BBM, it simply does not Restore my BBM messages :'(

Am I missing a crucial Step, or is it a BlackBerry security measure and there is no way to save BBM Chats/Messages?

Your Feedback and Comments are Truly Appreciated, Thank you!
    Just copy chat and save it to your note pad/remember

Q10-3
    01-01-14 12:56 PM
    Just copy chat and save it to your note pad/remember

Q10-3
    That is a junk workaround you can only copy paste a single response at a time, this is 2014 not 1972 with xerox machine this should be automatic

Posted from my ZED 30 jacked up on 10.2.1.1055 thank you very much!!
    Protocol 2001 likes this.
    01-01-14 02:28 PM
    Thanks for the detailed step-by-step instructions. However, after a few attempts and variations this didn't work for me. Once the phone powered back on again and I clicked on BBM it went through the restore process itself (like when you first signed in when the OS was freshly installed and it imported the contacts) and so I think in that process the chat history was lost. I tried both when enabling chat history before the restore and also not enabling chat history before the restore.

Potentially a slight difference which could be messing up the process here is I was doing a device switch from a Z10 to Q10 (so the restore file in Link was labelled as "Switch" in the file name), and wasn't going to a leaked OS but just what is the most current release supported by my mobile carrier. When I tried to re-activate BBM on my Z10 (the old device) the chat history was gone there too. I did the "switch"/backup before unlinking BBM from the Z10.
    Hi it took me two tries

I followed the steps exactly with the following points added

1) I backed up my Z30 (set to restore all not custom) using the latest BlackBerry Link software

2) loaded the newest OS going from 10.2.1.1055 to 10.2.1.1925

3) when the phone restarted followed the steps for that skipping the BBID part

4) I then went to BlackBerry World and loaded the latest BBM since it's newer than the one that came with 1925, when you go to BlackBerry World you HAVE to login to your BBID, no biggie, do that, and load the latest BBM. I think this part is critical that you load whatever version you where running before your upgraded the OS

5) started BBM and followed the steps from HaTaX exactly waiting for both the contacts and any groups repopulate, you can tell when this is done by seeing all the contact pictures for each of them and checking ones you have questions on by selecting them if they aren't synced they will tell you that. So be patient

6) once that was complete used BlackBerry Link to restore the backup in step 1

7) waited for the restore to finish and followed the steps to wait to enter the password and I waited for both the phone and BlackBerry Link (link says log in before the phone is finished restarting). For at least 5 minutes

8) once I waited went in and all of my chats for contacts and groups had been restored from the backup

Hope that helps

01-01-14 02:40 PM
    That is a junk workaround you can only copy paste a single response at a time, this is 2014 not 1972 with xerox machine this should be automatic

Yes, for sure, if it can, but actually,it CANNOT, broer
    The easiest way, is copy chat and save it to note pad

Q10-3
    01-02-14 12:48 AM
    Ah man only if I knew about this before, but thanks a lot Hatax! Appreciate it. Crackberry should post this on the blog so more people know about this!

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 12:53 AM
    OMG, this should be a sticky!!!!!!!! I have been wondering why the heck my chat history never restored and now I know how to make sure it does. I had literally just decided to come on here and search the forums for this issue when this thread popped up as an unread topic, lol. Thanks so much! :-)

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 01:04 AM
    There is a trick... Once you've installed your new OS, BEFORE you restore your backup you need to do a few things.

1.) Do not sign into BBID when prompted to by the setup wizard / app, just swipe right to skip it.
    2.) Install the latest BBM or whatever version you want to be running from app world or beta zone app.
    3.) Open BBM, let it sign in and connect to your BBID. Then allow it to COMPLETELY restore what it can. (Everything but open chats) Groups and contacts need to be fully restored before going past this point.
    4.) Do any other housework you have, install sideloaded apps, apps from app world, whatever.
    6.) After it's booted, wait 3-5 minutes from when you see the lock screen (DO NOT UNLOCK IT YET), then do your restore from link.
    7.) Profit

I follow steps similar to that with each OS upgrade and I haven't lost any of my conversations yet.
    So how do I install bbm from app world if I dont sign in using my bbid? Or use different bbid?

EDIT: ok so sing in but no problem thnx

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 01:07 AM

7.) Profit

Sadly, I've never been able to restore my bbm conversations. It's a huge deterrent to me using bbm for conversations because I enjoy loading leaks. Every time I do I lose all my history.

I recently upgraded to .1925 and followed every single one of the above steps with the same result: no saved bbm conversions.

Love bbm outside of this glaring flaw.

And yes, I have "save chat history" set to the on position.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 05:46 PM
    Ah man only if I knew about this before, but thanks a lot Hatax! Appreciate it. Crackberry should post this on the blog so more people know about this!
    Or BlackBerry should just build this into what automatically backups and restores through Link. Boggles my mind that they haven't.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    01-02-14 09:09 PM
    I'd imagine there is a ton of stuff being developed and tested for each subsequent release and not everything can be released at the same time. I would think this is one of their ideas to have some kind of cloud backup say through protect or similar and that future updates will include this. Payience dear sir we are just coming up to the one year anniversary of this OS, look back at the improvements made to iOS when it first came out, how long did it take apple to include cut and paste functionality?

In other words this OS has matured extensively in the past 11 months, much more to come in the future, just think what this will look like in January 2015?

01-03-14 12:29 AM
    Sadly, I've never been able to restore my bbm conversations. It's a huge deterrent to me using bbm for conversations because I enjoy loading leaks. Every time I do I lose all my history.

I recently upgraded to .1925 and followed every single one of the above steps with the same result: no saved bbm conversions.

Love bbm outside of this glaring flaw.

And yes, I have "save chat history" set to the on position.

Posted via CB10
    Hello Dahling,

Sorry couldn't resist...

Anyway take a look at my post up a bit I had to take two cracks at it but found with HaTaX, steps and my added little notes that it works well have since done 2 other upgrades that went smooth as butter, the key is to wait for the contacts to repopulate Completely AND totally make sure to not log into the phone OR link before the 5 minutes are up

I restored all at once not individually also

In both my attempts to get it working I reloaded the autoloader of. 1925 btw.

Good luck let us know if that worked!!

01-03-14 12:33 AM
    Everything restores perfectly - EXCEPT BBM message history. This should be a no-brainer.

I got the Z10 last week, signed in with BBID as prompted (and advised by the Bell representative), and voila there were my BBM contacts and message history downloaded from the server. Thank you.

The price on a contract for the Z30 dropped $130 to $0 this week, so I returned the Z10 for the Z30 this afternoon. I performed a backup this morning. When I got the Z30, I signed in with BBID just like last week. My BBM contacts and messages instantly downloaded, just like last week. I got home, downloaded the 317 meg update to 10.2.1.537, restarted, and then restored from this morning's backup. Everything restored perfectly: text messages, email accounts and other accounts (just had to verify passwords), recently downloaded apps, pictures and music files, and even keyboard sound preferences. Kudos!

The only thing that didn't restore was BBM messages. Brutal. I appreciate the fact that this thread exists, and the contributors who have found the extended workarounds, but it has to be shouted from the rooftops that it is absolutely ASSININE that BlackBerry has got this wrong. BBM restore should have been the first thing on their development agenda, not something fixed in a year or two.

So, my understanding is that I have to go back to factory settings, wasting the 5 hours of updates performed today, to follow the step by step process in order to retireve my message history - which is obviously in my backup file and on the BB server.

SMH

BB Tour
    BB Torch
    BB Playbook 16Gig
    BB Z10
    BB Z30
    ...and still a faithful, if not somewhat disgruntled...
    raddn5 likes this.
    03-09-14 08:37 PM
46 12