Like most discussions here, this is just a theory about battery drain. I've discovered that I'm not able to do a full restore of backup data on my device anymore. I'm able to restore settings and media, but not application data. I've spoken with BlackBerry support about this. They claim that I must have at least one app whose data (the application itself or it's accompanying data) that is corrupted. Their solution is to not restore application data, but just settings and media. Then reinstall the applications.

I discovered this problem when I had my phone connected to my laptop and ran the restore within Link. The process runs for a long time and then a message pops up saying that my device is not connected and that the restore failed. When I look at the log files, it simply shows that the restore of application data failed, but does not say which application caused the failure.

So why am i talking about backup and restore in a theory about battery drain? Because I think the two might be related. The way I understand, all backup and restore activity occurs on the phone. Link simply sends commands to the phone and waits for a response to proceed. My theory is that the restore fails because there is some corruption or incompatability with the restore process. In other words, the restore process encounteres a situation which it neither knows how to handle and/or (more importantly) does not trap for in order to either report and move on, or to halt and display an error indicating the point of failure (the specific app whose data is causing the error). I think that the restore process running on the phone encounters some sort of error that causes the process to either hang in a wait state or to fall into a terminal loop never to move on to the next app. Link reporting a connection timeout as opposed to a more specific error and a graceful exit of the process leads me to this conclusion.

When you update your device or install an OS (leak or otherwise), there is a lot of background activity that needs to occur in order to get data synced up whether it's the recreation of databases or the linking of data within databases. There are also processes that take your existing settings data and converts it to any new structure that is expected of this data consistent with changes made to how the OS version manages data.

My theory is that in some cases based on the phone, OS, carrier frequencies, applications installed, and existing/new settings data, these processes run to completion without error. There are so many combinations of the above, however, that identical devices on the same carrier could potentially behave differrently running the same update.

If one of the background processes encounters a loop of an untrapped error, unnecessary processor resources are wasted continuing the running of this process. If settings data is not converted properly, when you run an application, it could be causing a background hanging event which eats processor. All of this might explain battery drain.

Some people report that rebooting fixes the problem. But it could simply be that rebooting simply restarts that same process where it left off and, for whatever reason, the process picking up where it left off completes. But it could also be that when the device reboots, the part of the process which failed is simply skipped over with the device thinking that it had already completed.

When I reset my phone back to factory default via link, I'm up and running and synced within the hour. When I've tried to install leaks, I've seen what others are reporting. My theory is that it doesn't take up to 3 days for the OS to settle in. In some of these cases, reboots or something else is causing the system to hang, and thus eat resources and eventually they time out or simply fail while trying.

Anyway, this is based on simple observation of just my device along with comments from others reporting problems (or no problems) about similar issues with what seems to be similar devices on the same carriers. I have no idea if this theory holds any water. It's just something that I thought I'd toss out for discussion.
    02-25-14 01:14 PM
    I would throw into the mix, the Android apps that sideloaded or installed via Snap or any other software. I have a couple of Android apps that want to conitnually run, can't kill, even with app manager apps. The only way is to uninstall to kill them. Not sure what I have running to create this problem, but if someone out there is having simialar problems, let me know.
    02-25-14 03:13 PM
    I have no Android apps, and my phone was fine before I 'upgraded' to 10.2.1. Now my phne is completely useless, laggy and the battery goes flat in no time. I'm on the verge of restoring it to factory settings. If I do a back up and then upload it, will i get back my apps, contacts and messages?

And if anyone else says its just the OS indexing, I will thump them!
    02-25-14 05:46 PM
    Too Long Didnt Read.
    anyone care to retype in 140 characters?

posted from cuteN
    02-25-14 05:52 PM
    Louzer - your theory also could explain why it takes so long for backups to complete, should they do so. The devices can't process faster than 1.5GHz, whereas a desktop/laptop can potentially be far faster - 4.5GHz in my case, maybe not so much for others. The only thing that nags me is the "where" on device this would occur; there's only 2GB of RAM and for me, my backup files exceed the amount of available space I have left in device storage. I don't use a microSD card.

Battery Drain Theory-img_20140225_165715.png

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 06:02 PM
    Too Long Didnt Read.
    anyone care to retype in 140 characters?

posted from cuteN
    He theorizes the backups are done on the phone while BlackBerry Link waits, and aren't completing because of corrupted apps/data.

Edit: and corrupted data is causing increased battery drain.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Reubechs; 02-25-14 at 06:34 PM.
    02-25-14 06:04 PM
    I've got a theory too. Not sure if it's true or can be proven but is based on my personal experience. If I don't use my Z10 a lot the battery lasts longer than when I do use it a lot. What does everyone else think. Or is it just me?

Posted via CB10 on my shiny new Z10, OS10.2.1.1925, 1926 radio. So long i5!
    d3rd and Carjackd like this.
    02-25-14 06:13 PM

When I reset my phone back to factory default via link, I'm up and running and synced within the hour. When I've tried to install leaks, I've seen what others are reporting. My theory is that it doesn't take up to 3 days for the OS to settle in. In some of these cases, reboots or something else is causing the system to hang, and thus eat resources and eventually they time out or simply fail while trying.

What was the point here? When I install a leak I am up, running and synced within an hour too.
    Up and running vs OS settling in is 2 different things

STL-4. 10.2.1.2141 w/ 1259 clock
    02-26-14 08:27 PM
    What was the point here? When I install a leak I am up, running and synced within an hour too.

He said he has no problem getting up and running if he does a factory reset. Restoring after installing leaks is failing, and this thread is his theory as to why that is.
    02-26-14 08:56 PM
    Good theory. For next time, try using wifi to speed up 'background recovery'. I've been using it. And it depends on the Os as well, lately it takes 'only' half a day to 'settle in'

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 10:09 PM
    I have no Android apps, and my phone was fine before I 'upgraded' to 10.2.1. Now my phne is completely useless, laggy and the battery goes flat in no time. I'm on the verge of restoring it to factory settings. If I do a back up and then upload it, will i get back my apps, contacts and messages?
    And if anyone else says its just the OS indexing, I will thump them!
    If your restore of app data is successful, then you'll have your apps. Contacts and SMS messages are backed up to Settings data. When doing a restore, you can choose to do a selective restore which will give you to option of restoring settings, media, and app data separately. But my theory is not about restore failing. It's just using the failure without trapping the actual error that caused the failure as an example. My theory is that possibly the indexing is failing or hanging and not reporting the error. If it just moves on, then the indexing itself is corrupt and could possibly cause other related failures in the day-to-day usage which would show up as laggy performance or certain apps not performing correctly.
    He theorizes the backups are done on the phone while BlackBerry Link waits, and aren't completing because of corrupted apps/data.

Edit: and corrupted data is causing increased battery drain.

Posted via CB10
    Once again, I'm just using the backup/restore as an example of being able to see a process failing and timing out due to an error encountered. Since there is no interface (like Link) to show success or failure of the background processes running the indexing, I'm just saying that after an update, if the indexing fails or gets hung on an unexpected condition, the indexing might not be completing leaving your phone with incomplete or corrupt indexes. I'm also saying that it is dependent on the data that it's trying to index, so it might not happen on every phone. I'm not saying that it is the sole reason for battery drain, but could simply be a contributor to it.

See my comment above.
    He said he has no problem getting up and running if he does a factory reset. Restoring after installing leaks is failing, and this thread is his theory as to why that is.
    Or perhaps just an unexpected error encountered behind the scenes that isn't being trapped.
    Good theory. For next time, try using wifi to speed up 'background recovery'. I've been using it. And it depends on the Os as well, lately it takes 'only' half a day to 'settle in'

Posted via CB10
    Except if an error is encountered and you are left with corrupted indexed data.
    02-27-14 02:48 PM
    If your restore of app data is successful, then you'll have your apps. Contacts and SMS messages are backed up to Settings data. When doing a restore, you can choose to do a selective restore which will give you to option of restoring settings, media, and app data separately. But my theory is not about restore failing. It's just using the failure without trapping the actual error that caused the failure as an example. My theory is that possibly the indexing is failing or hanging and not reporting the error. If it just moves on, then the indexing itself is corrupt and could possibly cause other related failures in the day-to-day usage which would show up as laggy performance or certain apps not performing correctly.

Once again, I'm just using the backup/restore as an example of being able to see a process failing and timing out due to an error encountered. Since there is no interface (like Link) to show success or failure of the background processes running the indexing, I'm just saying that after an update, if the indexing fails or gets hung on an unexpected condition, the indexing might not be completing leaving your phone with incomplete or corrupt indexes. I'm also saying that it is dependent on the data that it's trying to index, so it might not happen on every phone. I'm not saying that it is the sole reason for battery drain, but could simply be a contributor to it.
    For those that live in areas with a strong cell signal and good coverage, and don't have their device melded to their hand, this is highly probable.
    02-27-14 03:20 PM
    True

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-28-14 11:47 PM