07-23-13 08:46 AM
75 123
tools
    Read somewhere in the forums that "battery checkers" are power drains in themselves. Which seems obvious.

Like to know which ones y'all would recommend. After all the different ones out there, some have to tighter, cleaner. Completely native so minimal drain rigth?

From a real keyboard, w/ NO autocorrect
    Battery guru - uses the OSes native battery reporting and just logs it.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 05:02 AM
    No u got me wrong

All these apps I've have side loaded except irunner and the task manager were from the app world..

But after a reboot the only app i've used and opened was kik, I was shocked my self how were those apps running when I didn't even open them ..

And note that I face random reboots about 2-3 times a day probably because one of these android apps

I've questioned my self why those apps were open even though I didn't run them, and I thought maybe they were trying to to getupdate or something so they try to do it in the background, but since this not an android device updating is impossible and they were left open... but that also could be wrong or true, honestly idk

Posted via CB10
    I haven't got any android apps installed right now and I've had several reboots a day so it may not be that..

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 06:17 AM
    I haven't got any android apps installed right now and I've had several reboots a day so it may not be that..

For most people that was resolved with recent OS updates. (OS version 10.1.0.2050 or higher)
    07-14-13 06:24 AM
    No u got me wrong

All these apps I've have side loaded except irunner and the task manager were from the app world..

But after a reboot the only app i've used and opened was kik, I was shocked my self how were those apps running when I didn't even open them ..

Well those apps are probably installing system services that load as soon as the Android runtime initializes.

That's one of the problems with the way Android apps run on BB10 - especially sideloads. There are a bunch of missing components in the BB10 Android environment (ie Google Play) so there is no installer interface that allows you to see detailed permissions info. At least when apps are approved through BlackBerry World (in theory), BlackBerry has an opportunity to check those basic things, and reject apps that are doing "funny stuff". You have no such protection when you sideload some unknown APK from who-knows-where. Neither is there any app update mechanism to notify users and easily update a sideload if it contains bugs or other issues. You're responsible for all of that yourself.

And note that I face random reboots about 2-3 times a day probably because one of these android apps
    I think that's a common issue. For example, before WhatsApp produced a dedicated BB10 app, the people who were sideloading it were having all sorts of problems with battery drain and device instability when they had that sideload installed.

That Task Manager app is interesting. I always assumed that the OS sandboxing would make such things moot because it would only see processes in its own "container" - which is why I never bothered installing one of those.

But lo-and-behold when I tried it today, it did in fact see other Android processes. But then after the 2nd or 3rd time I ran it, it went back to only seeing its own process. Can't figure out why it isn't consistent in that way. Some of the reviewers noticed that it only saw itself too.
    07-14-13 06:35 AM
    For most people that was resolved with recent OS updates. (OS version 10.1.0.2050 or higher)
    Yeah I have. 4543 at the moment and I get reboots during the day.. I have noticed though that I never get any when connected to my charger and I THINK also when I'm on my wifi connection..

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 07:17 AM
    You guys are now making me feel like .4543's not worth it.

.4537 then? Or. 4561?

EDIT: to be clear, I use my BlackBerry for work, and cannot afford to have it down.

So yeah, maybe I should wait for official releases? Or can someone point to the most stable leak?

07-14-13 10:04 AM
    My battery life is generally great with this leak, but like a previous poster I have twice put the phone in bedside mode with 65+% battery only to wake up with a completely dead phone.

Something fishy perhaps with bedside mode? I'm going to do some testing.
    07-14-13 11:48 AM
    Mine seems great and also seems to be very much cooler temps

Battery Drain on 10.1.0.4543-img_20131588.png

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 11:55 AM
    Getting great battery life here.
    Rogers STL100-3

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 11:55 AM
    Running 4543 on Verizon 100-4 since 7/7 with Battery Guru and Hub++ up most of the time. The idle and low use (eg. calendar up, occasional brief phone call, half-hour checks of hub, Blaq w 30 min updates running but not monitoring) drain seems very low...maybe two blocks per hour according to BG). More active use (FB, browser, games) seem to drain the battery faster though this is more of an impression as I've not carefully monitored this on my last os (.42). Seems to me the last drained about the same for both types of use...about a block an hour.
    07-14-13 12:10 PM
    I've noticed that helped out for me to. A couple of battery pulls just to be safe... From what I gathered reading posts there's something about the battery pull killing some processes that should restart and clear the memory rather than a restart which puts stuff into memory just to resume later which has no effect. Still not comfortable leaving the house without my charger at home tho.

I had this problem but after reading a few threads on here all I did was charge the battery to 100% and then do a battery pull and it seems a lot better now.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 01:52 PM
    Running 4543 on Verizon 100-4 since 7/7 with Battery Guru and Hub++ up most of the time. The idle and low use (eg. calendar up, occasional brief phone call, half-hour checks of hub, Blaq w 30 min updates running but not monitoring) drain seems very low...maybe two blocks per hour according to BG). More active use (FB, browser, games) seem to drain the battery faster though this is more of an impression as I've not carefully monitored this on my last os (.42). Seems to me the last drained about the same for both types of use...about a block an hour.
    100-4? On VZW? STL or SQN?

07-14-13 02:59 PM
    EDIT: to be clear, I use my BlackBerry for work, and cannot afford to have it down.
    I would stick with the official release from your Carrier. If you can't afford any sort of down time or misbehaving, installing leaks/unofficial OS' may not be a good idea.
    07-14-13 03:36 PM
    From what I gathered reading posts there's something about the battery pull killing some processes that should restart and clear the memory rather than a restart which puts stuff into memory just to resume later which has no effect.
    There are 2 types of reboots on a Z10 - I assume this applies to all current BB10 devices:

Warm restart : ie hold down power button until menu appears, then touch "restart". Phone restarts by itself.

Cold restart: there are 3 ways to do this:

1. Pull battery. Replace battery to restart.
    2. Press and hold power button until menu appears then KEEP PRESSING until carrier logo appears. After passing through black BlackBerry logo screen, phone will power off. Press power button to restart.
    3. Press and hold BOTH volume buttons - device will first take a screenshot, then carrier logo appears followed by black screen, then device will restart.
    07-14-13 03:42 PM

So yeah, maybe I should wait for official releases? Or can someone point to the most stable leak?

The most stable leak is probably. 2354, several carriers released that as an official build. (Though you may have to swap the radio code for a different version to get good battery life)

And the. 2xxx series is missing a few of the features of the. 4xxx series.
    07-14-13 03:52 PM
    The most stable leak is probably. 2354, several carriers released that as an official build. (Though you may have to swap the radio code for a different version to get good battery life)

And the. 2xxx series is missing a few of the features of the. 4xxx series.
    Cheers, Omnitech! This is an SQN build, right?

SQN100-2 v10.1.0.2038, and a real keyboard
    07-14-13 04:53 PM
    Read in a thread somewhere that you're NOT supposed to completely drain battery to zero......this isn't what I've been led to understand. Anyone?

I've also been pulling the battery once at zero, and placing in the combo charger pack, to give the batteries full charges, without corresponding drain at the same time which is what would happen if I just plugged my device in and used it while charging.

Lastly, apologies in advance if this the wrong thread for the questions.

EDIT: : sorry for asinine question, just did my research

Typed on a real keyboard.....SQN100-2 v10.1.0.2038
    Last edited by TSY#CB; 07-14-13 at 09:05 PM.
    07-14-13 08:14 PM
    Cheers, Omnitech! This is an SQN build, right?

SQN100-2 v10.1.0.2038, and a real keyboard
    IIRC, .2354 was a Z10 build, the Q10 had the slightly older .2342. There are reports of .2354 working on the Q10, though. Probably with a different radio.

100-4? On VZW? STL or SQN?

STL100-4 is Verizon, whereas SQN100-4 is Sprint, I think. Verizon Q10s are SQN100-2.
    07-14-13 09:30 PM
    Read in a thread somewhere that you're NOT supposed to completely drain battery to zero......this isn't what I've been led to understand. Anyone?

I've also been pulling the battery once at zero, and placing in the combo charger pack, to give the batteries full charges, without corresponding drain at the same time which is what would happen if I just plugged my device in and used it while charging

Battery University is a good website for technical background info on batteries.

In short: Lithium Ion batteries do not like to be severely discharged. In many cases the device or electronics built into the battery will actually prevent this even if the user doesn't know how to use it.
    07-14-13 10:50 PM
    IIRC, .2354 was a Z10 build, the Q10 had the slightly older .2342. There are reports of .2354 working on the Q10, though. Probably with a different radio.

STL100-4 is Verizon, whereas SQN100-4 is Sprint, I think. Verizon Q10s are SQN100-2.
    Right, got my numbers mixed up. Thx. I know about the Q10 numbers, but since many of the contributors here (ones with stuff worth reading, I've already noted, w/ thx) are on Z's rather than Q's, it pays to check.

As an aside, I've decided to hold on leaked OS loading, purely b/c I'm too dependent on my device for work. I spent an entire week in early June getting BB10 to work w/ my company's Exchange Server, only to have to redo when they swapped to Office 365 a couple of weeks ago.

I will continue to follow the OS forums closely, and all responses rec'd thus far are greatly appreciated.

07-14-13 11:34 PM
    Battery University is a good website for technical background info on batteries.

In short: Lithium Ion batteries do not like to be severely discharged. In many cases the device or electronics built into the battery will actually prevent this even if the user doesn't know how to use it.
    Yep, as I've just read myself from said website. Again, apologies, b/c forums are meant to be used *after* one's done research, and it was plain lazy of me to ask here.

07-14-13 11:36 PM
    Same here previous I'm using .2354 now with .4543 everything much better.

Before install I always do security wipe and install everything from zero, except contact, and password keeper restored from my 9810

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 09:56 AM
    Well, it looks like it was an app. I removed these recently-added apps: Crackle, Ultimate History Channel Quiz, Discovery Channel, CNN. Since then, the battery's been fine. One (or more) of those four appears to be the culprit.
    I too have (well HAD) Crackle and terrible battery life on 10.1.0.4543. Hoping uninstalling it helps!
    07-16-13 09:20 AM
    Well, it looks like it was an app. I removed these recently-added apps: Crackle, Ultimate History Channel Quiz, Discovery Channel, CNN. Since then, the battery's been fine. One (or more) of those four appears to be the culprit.
    Z10 was fine with 4543 until this weekend. Phone keeps getting very warm and will not hold a charge. Download Crackle on Friday. After seeing this post just removed the app. Hoping this solves the problem.
    07-22-13 08:31 AM
    Z10 is back to normal. Crackle was the cause of the over heating and battery drain (see above post).
    07-23-13 08:46 AM
75 123