02-02-14 05:10 AM
44 12
tools
    Since it looks like it worked for a few people in other threads that I posted, I'll just re-post the steps I personally take to make sure that my backup / restore procedure works and recovers as much information as possible. (Haven't lost any BBM or text convos this way) This isn't the only way to do it, but it has worked for me and others while working through the heap of leaks lately. These are generic instructions and aren't specific to any release or leak, just a series of steps that has a high success rate.

If it's not already obvious, the important details of each step are in bold, please read carefully!

If you are starting the entire process from scratch and have not updated your device yet, start with step #1. If you already have a backup made and are having trouble restoring it, start with step #2.

1.) Make a full backup of device made in Link with device in airplane mode, power off device and pull SD card if you have one.
    2.)
    Plug in to USB, run autoloader, and power on phone.
    3.)
    After autoloader is done, completed setup without entering your BBID.
    4.) Immediately do a security wipe and complete setup as before, without entering your BBID info.
    5.) Shut down device after reboot & setup from security wipe and re-insert SD card.
    6.) Power up phone and launch BB World, load all previous applications you had installed. At this point enter your BBID info when prompted from BB World.
    6a.) If you have sideloaded applications, side load them again at this point.
    7.) Launch BBM, it should re-attach to your BBM account and leave you with an empty chat list. (If you miss this step, BBM won't restore your chats) Once it's connected to your account just close it.
    8.) After all applications have been re-downloaded, re-sideloaded and BBM has been initialized, place back in airplane mode and reboot phone.
    9.) When phone boots back to the lock screen, wait 5 minutes without using your phone. (I'm serious about 5 minutes, don't unlock it, don't touch it, nothing for 5 minutes.)
    10.) Start restore process from BB Link and go get a sandwich, this part can take a while. (If you can't decide what you'd like, I highly recommend a roast beef sandwich... You've got the time to make it, trust me)
    11.) Profit

This works well for me and while it may not be the perfect way to do it, it seems to work for most everyone that follows it. Hope this helps some of you!
    Last edited by HaTaX; 07-16-13 at 10:23 PM.
    sbmd, MGrenade, deltact and 17 others like this.
    07-16-13 10:06 PM
    Thanks for compiling your method

Good job bro

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 10:08 PM
    Let's hope this is the solution for everyone

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 10:09 PM
    Since it looks like it worked for a few people in other threads that I posted, I'll just re-post the steps I personally take to make sure that my backup / restore procedure works and recovers as much information as possible. (Haven't lost any BBM or text convos this way) This isn't the only way to do it, but it has worked for me and others while working through the heap of leaks lately. These are generic instructions and aren't specific to any release or leak, just a series of steps that has a high success rate.

If it's not already obvious, the important details of each step are in bold, please read carefully!

If you are starting the entire process from scratch and have not updated your device yet, start with step #1. If you already have a backup made and are having trouble restoring it, start with step #2.

1.) Make a full backup of device made in Link with device in airplane mode, power off device and pull SD card if you have one.
    2.)
    3.)
    4.) Immediately do a security wipe and complete setup as before, without entering your BBID info.
    5.) Shut down device after reboot & setup from security wipe and re-insert SD card.
    6.) Power up phone and launch BB World, load all previous applications you had installed. At this point enter your BBID info when prompted from BB World.
    7.) Launch BBM, it should re-attach to your BBM account and leave you with an empty chat list. (If you miss this step, BBM won't restore your chats) Once it's connected to your account just close it.
    8.) After all applications have been re-downloaded, re-sideloaded and BBM has been initialized, place back in airplane mode and reboot phone.
    9.) When phone boots back to the lock screen, wait 5 minutes without using your phone.
    10.) Start restore process from BB Link and go get a sandwich, this part can take a while.
    11.) Profit

This works well for me and while it may not be the perfect way to do it, it seems to work for most everyone that follows it. Hope this helps some of you!
    WHAT KIND OF SANDWICH?!?!?!?!
    zavar, clubbstudios and rav813 like this.
    07-16-13 10:18 PM
    WHAT KIND OF SANDWICH?!?!?!?!
    Edited, just for you bud.
    dcburke789, VeniceBB and rav813 like this.
    07-16-13 10:21 PM
    I follow all those steps except I have to log into BBID before Link will restore my phone always says your BBID isn't now set up in link . And No I do not have BBID Logged in on Link to my account either. But once I unplug and log in on the phone I might have to shut the puter down or pull Battery until in have a good connection......trust me people don't give up the first time it says it won't connect try a few times pull your battery while connected reboot your puter while connected. Check your USB ports always been my biggest problem cause I hook up so much loading all the time I have to open Task Manager on your puter make sure all rim/bb apps or process are closed or not running if they are close them ( when your BlackBerry Is not plugged in obviously) and then reboot the puter phone plugged in now. Hope this might help. I've always been able to Restore no matter what OS. But I've never gone down either always up. But I always do this first before in load READ THE POST THE OP PUTS UP...READ THU MORE THAN 2 PAGES BEFORE YOU LOAD IT..... and you will have a happier experience.. Again thanks Kris and Lbfe where ever you are.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 10:48 PM

2.)
    3.)
    9.) When phone boots back to the lock screen, wait 5 minutes without using your phone. (I'm serious about 5 minutes, don't unlock it, don't touch it, nothing for 5 minutes.)
    10.) Start restore process from BB Link and go get a sandwich, this part can take a while. (If you can't decide what you'd like, I highly recommend a roast beef sandwich... You've got the time to make it, trust me)
    11.) Profit

Great. I will try this. I have been postponing reinstalling the 10.2 leak due to the backup issue. Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 10:55 PM
    Great. I will try this. I have been postponing reinstalling the 10.2 leak due to the backup issue. Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    Since the restore process became an issue, I bought contact x for backing up my contacts, and noted app for backing up my note, so now I never do a backup restore process.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using CB Forums mobile app
    07-17-13 12:14 AM
    I discovered an easier way

So far at least for Mac it seems that it depends on the Os and it's installation.
    If you have issues restoring do a security wipe and reload the OS again.

I did this for the last 3 times I updated my os and this was the fastest and easiest way of restoring my data.

Conclusion
    I belive that it has to do something with an entry point in the os that is needed to restore from a backup.

Ps
    I did not do anything with wifi. Just sign in with you bbID try if it works if not security wipe reload the os give it another try

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 05:15 AM
    I tried it with the 10.2.0.483 leak and it would not restore. I selected "all" with no luck so I tried each one starting with settings. It rebooted when selecting restore for settings and wiped all the apps that I downloaded from BB World. I hope link has an upgrade before the next 10.2 leak.
    I have been able to restore all leaks except 10.2.
    07-17-13 09:57 AM
    It didn't work....they had only burgers!!!
    07-17-13 10:42 AM
    Now I can't restore even if I downgrade down to 10.1.0.2432 (or something)!!! Actually the only thing I really need back is my password keeper. Anyone can help?

I've tried that process at least 5/6 times today... my poor phone! Not really sure what else to do!
    07-17-13 12:37 PM
    Edited, just for you bud.
    DUDE! Roast Beast! My fave!
    07-17-13 06:42 PM
    Doesn't work for me on 10.2. Just trying to reload settings just confuses the device up to the point where you can see its head explode.
    07-17-13 08:31 PM
    In Link, when I click on restore, Link crashes when loading the list to restore from. Tried three different versions of Link.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 04:14 AM
    Will give it a try when a new leaked os appears, to lazy to reload the one I have lol

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 11:16 AM
    Maybe it was a pretty obvious thing, but for some reason, after I finally upgraded my BB Link to 10.1.1.32, the restore works just fine!!!! Could be a solution for those who had not updated their link for some time!!
    07-18-13 01:52 PM
    Maybe it was a pretty obvious thing, but for some reason, after I finally upgraded my BB Link to 10.1.1.32, the restore works just fine!!!! Could be a solution for those who had not updated their link for some time!!
    i have the latest BB Link , and tired a normal restore , didn't work the phone reboot it self and nothing happens ..

i'm going to download a new leaked os and try this method now hope it works ,, i have nothing to lose since i never succeed restoring lol
    07-19-13 09:12 AM
    This Method didn't work .. hope for a working solution soon ..
    07-19-13 10:18 AM
    This method worked great for me, upgraded from 10.1.0.4633 to 10.1.0.4651. Everything including text messages was restored. The only thing I did differently than the instructions above was I used Sachesi instead of link. Thanks HaTax for writing up this great procedure!
    07-19-13 11:31 AM
    I restored my backup on the 10.2.0.483 hybrid; I unchecked the box designating all three backups and clicked each individual item. If that doesn't work (but most times it does) I choose them one at a time. Just my two cents .....

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 11:43 AM
    didnt work for me.
    07-19-13 02:03 PM
    For me, I did security wipe twice as the first time didn't work, and it can restore successfully
    07-19-13 10:12 PM
    Just done a 4543 to 4651 flawlessly using this method on my stl-2 thanks man.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 05:39 AM
    This morning I successfully restored my data to the 10.2 os leak. What I did was security wipe my phone twice, set it up logging into my BBID and then loaded the data one by one (applications, media, settings). Everything loaded fast and perfectly. Only one problem I've found so far (minus the little annoying bugs) is that I can't get Facebook to work.
    07-21-13 08:52 AM
44 12