My boys' Z10s are on 1055 and they have done well on a Android games such as Clash of Clans. How can I make sure their status is backed up and restore-able when I upgrade to a newer/better 10.2.1.xxx? E.g. 1925?

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 07:13 PM
    My boys' Z10s are on 1055 and they have done well on a Android games such as Clash of Clans. How can I make sure their status is backed up and restore-able when I upgrade to a newer/better 10.2.1.xxx? E.g. 1925?

Posted via CB10
    If there is not a cloud option to save your data, it might be lost. I had that issue with candy crush, until I found out that signing into Facebook via the app saves your progress to a cloud.

The only other option would be to do a non- destructive update. This would be done by using Sachesi or a similar tool but 1) I am not an expert on that one, so I can advise. 2) 1925 is not available via Sachesi as far as I am aware.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 07:40 PM
    Maybe I'm mistaken but back up your phones data. Then install new OS, then install the apps you want restored one by one manually then do a restore with the data backup from the old OS. I thought that would work.

I have a Z10 laying around with 1055 that I can try out before you wipe your kids stuff
    12-27-13 08:25 PM
    Maybe I'm mistaken but back up your phones data. Then install new OS, then install the apps you want restored one by one manually then do a restore with the data backup from the old OS. I thought that would work.

I have a Z10 laying around with 1055 that I can try out before you wipe your kids stuff
    I should have learned my lesson the first time .. I lost all progress again
    The first time I thought the backup would include the progress for CoC, because I synced to FaceBook,
    That was a no go, and today I did the same loading up 1925
    12-27-13 08:38 PM
    I should have learned my lesson the first time .. I lost all progress again
    The first time I thought the backup would include the progress for CoC, because I synced to FaceBook,
    That was a no go, and today I did the same loading up 1925
    I lost my candy crush as well. Getting tired of starting over.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 08:43 PM

Pls let us know if this works

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 08:44 PM
    The only way I've ever had Android game data restore is if you re-sideload the BARs after running the autoloader but BEFORE doing the Restore.
    Those BARs will stay installed through the restore, so Link will put back their data.
    (Note that APKs you install before a Restore will disappear. Currently I know of no way to get APK game data back.)

Even that isn't 100%.
    For example, I had been running a debug-token converted Subway Surfers BAR and decided to try switching to a non-debug-token version. Lost the games data.

With Candy Crush, I've had no trouble with just using an APK and not worrying about restoring provided you sync with Facebook. Every time it's pulled the data from Facebook just fine. However you will loose any unused lives or free moves people have sent you.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 09:07 PM
    Have you tried some of the android app backups found on Google play?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925 CB10
    12-27-13 09:09 PM
    Have you tried some of the android app backups found on Google play?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925 CB10
    I've tried My Backup, but it just backs up the actual APK, not the data. (I think that's all a lot of them do, but I'd love to be wrong!)

I think I tried to get Helium running, but couldn't.

If anyone finds one from Google Play that runs on BB10 AND backs up and restores the actual saved data rather than just the APK, I'd love to hear about it too, even if it's a paid app I'd need to buy!

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 09:44 PM
    The only way I've ever had Android game data restore is if you re-sideload the BARs after running the autoloader but BEFORE doing the Restore.
    Those BARs will stay installed through the restore, so Link will put back their data.
    (Note that APKs you install before a Restore will disappear. Currently I know of no way to get APK game data back.)

Even that isn't 100%.
    For example, I had been running a debug-token converted Subway Surfers BAR and decided to try switching to a non-debug-token version. Lost the games data.

With Candy Crush, I've had no trouble with just using an APK and not worrying about restoring provided you sync with Facebook. Every time it's pulled the data from Facebook just fine. However you will loose any unused lives or free moves people have sent you.

Posted via CB10
    So, hypothetically, if I wipe the phone again, then side load the CoC APK, then run restore I should have my progress back??

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1055 on Bell with Unlimited Data
    12-27-13 10:11 PM

Even that isn't 100%.

Posted via CB10
    This method didn't work with .1259. I reinstalled apks then did the application data restore and it just ended up deleting my apks Any reports if it definitely works with 1925?
    12-27-13 10:17 PM
    So, hypothetically, if I wipe the phone again, then side load the CoC APK, then run restore I should have my progress back??

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1055 on Bell with Unlimited Data
    Not with the APK.
    If you were previously running a converted BAR, though, and you sideload that same BAR, then do the restore, it *should* restore your progress.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 11:09 PM
    Ah. I replaced all my bars with apks ever since using Snap :/

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 11:53 PM
    Has anyone tried to backup and restore the folder "device/misc/android"?

That's where the data is going so it could help.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 04:43 AM
    I always take a copy of flash /misc/Android from the computer on the mounted drive. I copy it back after a new leak then reinstall apps. Pretty much always retains the data within the android apps.

It's the same way I put my what's app chat logs back

Posted via CB10
    ami.one likes this.
    12-28-13 02:33 PM
    I always take a copy of flash /misc/Android from the computer on the mounted drive. I copy it back after a new leak then reinstall apps. Pretty much always retains the data within the android apps.

It's the same way I put my what's app chat logs back

Posted via CB10
    That's what I thought - thanks for the info

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 02:49 PM
    I looked into /misc/Android but I am not sure there is a file or folder created by clash of clans ... Anybody knows if this method (pointed out by "puppydg68") works for CoC?
    12-29-13 10:44 PM
    I noticed that some files were protected when using BlackBerry file explorer, but I wonder if you copied all android files over to your SD card using Ghost Commander, upgraded then reinstalled your APKs, could you just copy back over the Android files from the SD card...then boom, data is restored?

Or is that a too simplistic pipe dream?

I plan to try when I get around to upgrading my Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1055.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 09:04 AM
    Well, to safe the App data on Android, you have to have rooted device and use Titanium Backup.

So I guess, the talk of saving the local data for android apps on BB is generally pointless, unless the app explicitly saves the progress in clouds, or writes the data to the unprotected partition (like in case with WhatsApp, which is designed specially this way). So, the mileage can vary, as usual. But as the rule of thumb, I would not hold a breath in hope that the data can be restored.
    Last edited by ralphlauren27; 12-30-13 at 01:28 PM.
    garrett1972 and 00stryder like this.
    12-30-13 09:28 AM
    Well, to safe the App data on Android, you have to have rooted device and use Titanium Backup.

So I guess, the talk of saving the local data for android apps on BB is generally pointless, unless the app explicitly saves the progress in clouds, or writes the data to the unprotected partition (like in case with WhatsApp, witch is designed specially this way). So, the mileage can vary, as usual. But as the rule of thumb, I would not hold a breath in hope that the data can be restored.
    Thanks for that. And too bad at the same time.

It would be interesting to see a virtual root option for the Android portion only. Still keep the BlackBerry OS secure, but allow root access for the Android VM only
    ...more wishful thinking of course...

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 10:34 AM
    Always been hit and miss for me, so I usually don't bother installing games after installing a new leak. Which is fine since I really don't have the time to actually play them!

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 12:17 PM
    With rooted access, anybody knows where CoC status/progress is stored? Why do I need "Titanium Backup"? Can't I just copy the files?
    12-30-13 12:33 PM
    With rooted access, anybody knows where CoC status/progress is stored? Why do I need "Titanium Backup"? Can't I just copy the files?
    I think you are mixing up the things. Let's make it clear.
    You can NOT root BB devices, so it does mean that you can not extract the data written by the android VM on BB devises.

My example above about Titanium Backup just illustrates how it's done on the real Android device.
    12-30-13 01:20 PM
    It would be interesting to see a virtual root option for the Android portion only. Still keep the BlackBerry OS secure, but allow root access for the Android VM only
    ...more wishful thinking of course...
    Oh, would love to have it as well. There are few amazing android tools, amongst others XPrivacy and Greenify, which are requiring the root access.
    But IMHO, it's not possible indeed because android VM requires the system integration and possibility to root android VM would compromise BB security....
    Otherwise we have to talk about the double-boot BB/Android phone, where either BB or Android partition is actively running and there is not interaction between the systems.
    12-30-13 06:16 PM