My Faithful Crackberrians(forgive the term). Couldn't find the right topic to put this under so I'll just put it here for now.

After watching the ad for the LG G4 I got an idea...
    What if BlackBerry could upgrade the camera on all blackberry phones as a service, especially when they develop their cameras.

I wouldn't mind a camera upgrade to my Passport, I love her to bits I just miss the quality of the camera on my Z10.

I would like to hear your views on the matter.

Posted from my SQW100-1
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    07-22-15 05:14 PM
    I wouldn't mind a camera upgrade to my Passport, I love her to bits I just miss the quality of the camera on my Z10.
    I thought the camera on the Passport is (significantly) better than the Z10?
    07-22-15 05:41 PM
    I personally love the Passport camera way better than my Z10 or Z30. Especially with the latest OS 10.3.2....

Passport (Round), 10.3.2.2339 on AT&T
    07-22-15 05:56 PM
    At times the picture quality on my end is just abit off, and the autofocus time is also horrid

Posted from my SQW100-1
    07-22-15 06:28 PM
    The camera isn't an strong area for BlackBerry, never has been. Neither a selling point, you'll never see someone asking for a BlackBerry device because of it's "awesome camera". Focusing on the camera isn't the "enterprise-minded" model that John Chen is looking for, but as an "What if" idea, would be actually interesting.
    07-22-15 06:37 PM
    Depending on what you mean, if your saying just send in your BlackBerry and have them upgrade it sure that be an Interesting idea.

...but! It'd be better if you could Upgrade the camera hardware yourself? Like buying news sensors and lenses to have a wider range of camera capabilities.

And at the very least. It'd be cool to do it the Sony route and sell camera lenses that Bluetooth/wifi connects to the device.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-15 03:25 AM
    Aevillion I know what u mean but sometimes evolution is needed and wanted, maybe it's not evolution but a change in thinking.

We all take pictures and no matter how we all try and deny we are all secretly jealous of our friends' cameras on their android or iPhones due to the picture quality, I know I'm jealous of my friends' Note 4.

But besides that the wireless would work just as well and if we could do it ourselves even better I know I would but only after the warranty expires so I don't void it

Posted from my SQW100-1
    07-23-15 04:53 AM
    I like the idea your wrote. But the camera quality of Z10 is truly awesome.
    07-23-15 05:04 AM
    Aevillion I know what u mean but sometimes evolution is needed and wanted, maybe it's not evolution but a change in thinking.

We all take pictures and no matter how we all try and deny we are all secretly jealous of our friends' cameras on their android or iPhones due to the picture quality, I know I'm jealous of my friends' Note 4.

But besides that the wireless would work just as well and if we could do it ourselves even better I know I would but only after the warranty expires so I don't void it

Posted from my SQW100-1
    I am in no way jealous of any iPhone or android phone. I have a camera, it takes pictures. If you want a really good camera go buy one, they come with out phones attached now.

BBClassic10.3.2.2252
    DolemiteDONS and moyah8 like this.
    07-24-15 01:59 AM
    The camera isn't an strong area for BlackBerry, never has been. Neither a selling point, you'll never see someone asking for a BlackBerry device because of it's "awesome camera". Focusing on the camera isn't the "enterprise-minded" model that John Chen is looking for, but as an "What if" idea, would be actually interesting.
    If John Chen is interested in making money by selling phones the camera today is a critical part & must be kept up to standards. It's absolutely preposterous to indicate any situation any professional would suggest an inferior camera to help them in their work. Seriously, get out of here with that story. Cameras are as useful as microphones on today's phones and picking up fine details is something very useful. Whether you're just trying to scan documents, or capture a photo to be used as evidence, there's just no scenario in which a person would say "I prefer a device with an inferior camera". Get real! Come back to earth and realize the blatant obvious basics before you imply ignoring the camera is strategic in winning people over. Absolutely not.

Is there a human being who says "I prefer to work with bad eyesight"? A doctor that will entrust his precision doing micro-surgery to ignore huge smudges on his lens? He will wipe it first! In a world where every phone no has eyes, the professionals are the ones who demand the sharpest.

Hell, some people even find employment through the camera-phones lens-- BlackBerry has a camera but am I to throw these opportunities out the window because they haven't understood how to capitalize on the tools they actually have in their arsenal?

The clearest lens is absolutely critical, ESPECIALLY with your audience, don't "oh cameras are for consumers and children" your way out of this one.

Posted via CB10
    fadi.alsaidi and vaioman like this.
    07-24-15 02:53 PM
    The Slider is rumoured to have a 16 or 18 MP camera with OIS - similar to GS6.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    07-24-15 03:15 PM
    The Slider is rumoured to have a 16 or 18 MP camera with OIS - similar to GS6.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    But is it the same quality is the question

Posted from my SQW100-1
    07-24-15 06:07 PM
    But is it the same quality is the question

Posted from my SQW100-1
    It's supposed to be a partnership with Samsung, so I would expect it to be similar.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    07-24-15 06:14 PM
    I am in no way jealous of any iPhone or android phone. I have a camera, it takes pictures. If you want a really good camera go buy one, they come with out phones attached now.

BBClassic10.3.2.2252
    You would've made a perfect CEO of blackberry in the past
    Chad_Fortuin and MRTTNS like this.
    07-24-15 06:33 PM
    I played with a G4 and was so close to getting it for the camera alone.
    But this is the difference. It wasnt the camera itself that sold me. It was the interface(i think thats the word I want) or the usability of the camera in manual mode.
    Its brilliant and quick. Making things/settings soft buttons that bring up slide scales for adjustment.
    I was solid on going to a Sony phone if I left Blackberry because waterproofing. But 10 min with the G4 on that 1 feature changed everything.
    07-24-15 09:34 PM
    Here's a small demo clip

07-24-15 09:36 PM
    How much would this cost? Obviously BlackBerry won't do it for free, and if it's expensive at all people would just rather buy a new phone rather than paying to upgrade the one they have. Is there a price point that would work for both the user and BlackBerry? I suspect there isn't.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-15 10:18 PM
    If John Chen is interested in making money by selling phones the camera today is a critical part & must be kept up to standards.
    Instead of quoting the whole thing I'll stick with this.
    The thing is that a lot of people doesn't realize that John Chen Isn't interested in making money by selling phones right now.
    That's why we haven't seen a high-end touchscreen phone since the Z30. He said over and over that he's focusing on services, he wants to make BlackBerry a services company instead of a phone maker.
    Yes, for usual ocassions, it's nice to have a good camera, and BlackBerry it's simply not on par with most current devices (most of it it's because of the forementioned lack of high-end devices), but that's not gonna change soon. The R&D budget goes most of it to security. And the "phone making powerhouse" was outsourced to Foxconn. All of that without even discussing the whole rumor about going android. Now, it can be truth that the slider it's gonna have good specs and even a good camera, but I wouldn't be so hopeful. I don't deny that business men don't need a good camera, because they do. But it's simply not gonna happen right now. But again, as an "What if" thought, would be good.
    07-24-15 11:16 PM
    How much would this cost? Obviously BlackBerry won't do it for free, and if it's expensive at all people would just rather buy a new phone rather than paying to upgrade the one they have. Is there a price point that would work for both the user and BlackBerry? I suspect there isn't.

Posted via CB10
    In SA for the Sony Z3, the camera module is about R560 which would equate to 50-56 USD excluding labour

Posted from my SQW100-1
    Last edited by Chad_Fortuin; 07-25-15 at 03:41 AM.
    07-25-15 03:24 AM
    Camera is important for everyone. The BlackBerry camera in outdoors light is just fine, and even very good at times. They have made a lot of progress. Focus speed is relatively slow, and can be annoying. What is surprising is that the focal distance of the lens is probably around 10 feet or so. In this case allowing the option of manual focus with default setting at infinite focus would immediately increase speed for many shots and focus lock choice would not be needed. Not difficult. Camera ++ already allows manual focus. Indoor light is another problem, but again camera++ should help with choice of iso. A very clean lens is absolutely critical. But BlackBerry cameras are still at their worst here.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-15 08:21 AM
    If John Chen is interested in making money by selling phones the camera today is a critical part & must be kept up to standards. It's absolutely preposterous to indicate any situation any professional would suggest an inferior camera to help them in their work. Seriously, get out of here with that story. Cameras are as useful as microphones on today's phones and picking up fine details is something very useful. Whether you're just trying to scan documents, or capture a photo to be used as evidence, there's just no scenario in which a person would say "I prefer a device with an inferior camera". Get real! Come back to earth and realize the blatant obvious basics before you imply ignoring the camera is strategic in winning people over. Absolutely not.

Is there a human being who says "I prefer to work with bad eyesight"? A doctor that will entrust his precision doing micro-surgery to ignore huge smudges on his lens? He will wipe it first! In a world where every phone no has eyes, the professionals are the ones who demand the sharpest.

Hell, some people even find employment through the camera-phones lens-- BlackBerry has a camera but am I to throw these opportunities out the window because they haven't understood how to capitalize on the tools they actually have in their arsenal?

The clearest lens is absolutely critical, ESPECIALLY with your audience, don't "oh cameras are for consumers and children" your way out of this one.

Posted via CB10
    The camera doesn't need to be the best for it to still appeal to business /business users ... you don't walk into an office and everyone has a brand new fully loaded PC, they get by with "inferior" PCs

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 11:07 AM