I'm just curious, is there any way to change the preference on apps so that they don't remain headless and running all the time?

I keep having to close the same following apps everyday.

-eBay
    -Amazon app store
    -BlackBerry Blend
    -iGenn
    -Amazon store app

Once I close them they're closed but once I open them or restart my Z30 they're active again even if I'm not using them.

STA100-5 Z30 on OS10.3.1.1154.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    12-10-14 05:55 PM
    Apparently not but is it that big of a deal? They all use like less than 0.1% of everything :-?

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 06:22 PM
    If I can't get them to stop running in the background I delete them.

Reading the recently posted German article on Phone OS security it's a no brainer.

Like Angry Birds creating 47 different connections on Android.
    BlackBerry Facebook compared to Android, IOS and Windows Phone.

If it's doing something unneeded or suspect get rid of it. Especially Droid ports and free apps.

Battery use, well why use it up sending data to folks that will use it to make more money?

BlackBerry hates America!
    moyah8 and Igoran69 like this.
    12-10-14 07:28 PM
    I was concerned about this at figure, but have come to like it in most cases. The apps open much quicker since they are either in a suspended state or their services are running and don't need to be started. as long as you have location turned off I don't think that you have any battery issues.

The only apps that get weight that I've seen are music apps, like sirius, it will keep playing in the background if you don't exit the app by hitting the back button and saying exit, and the bank of America app will pop back up after the idle timeout for your login if you don't hit sign out.

Other than that no issues here, I've experimented with the run minimized permission but have yet to see a difference, might not be fully implemented yet.

Z30STA100-3/10.3.1.1154
    12-10-14 09:54 PM
    I see them, too. I dont like it and really often start the taskmanager to close them.
    I think this could be a huge security bug because apps running in the background can do all kind of stuff, like key logging etc. maybe thats the downside of the android runtime
    12-11-14 11:37 AM
    It's a bit concerning. Have deleted any apps I have caught opening on their own when they have no reason to do so.

Have not allowed run on minimize for apps such as Spotify that are resource heavy

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 02:32 PM
    For native apps:
    The easiest is apps that have a built-in setting to disable their Headless part.
    Option two:
    Settings, Security and Privacy, Application Permissions.
    From here sort the dropdown menu to "Run in Background".
    This will show all native apps that can run Headless. Change to Deny for any app you don't want Headless. The app will still work. This setting is remembered after a reboot.

For Android apps, tough luck, currently impossible. 10.3.1 has an option called "run when minimised" for Android apps, but that is active frame behaviour, not a toggle for headless.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    12-11-14 02:39 PM
    Smart Booster Pro gives you an icon within android apps, when you press it closes all other Android apps that's running in background.

More convenient that going into device monitor and so on.

I'm looking for a android permissions app now, I'll let you know if I find something.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 09:46 PM
    Found this :

Editing Autostarts and Intents

As mentioned above, some applications may start when they receive Intents (system events). By using an app like Permissions Denied you can alter which permissions apps can request, which in turn limits which events they can receive. Or you can use an app like Autostarts to edit specifically which Intents will be sent to which apps. For both solutions, you'll need root access.

Other options:

Autorun Manager
    Gemini App Manager
    (Autostarts is free/open-source software, also available from f-droid.)

WARNING: This can cause apps to stop working or inhibit wanted functionality. Proceed with caution, especially with critical system apps.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 09:52 PM
    Found this :

Editing Autostarts and Intents

As mentioned above, some applications may start when they receive Intents (system events). By using an app like Permissions Denied you can alter which permissions apps can request, which in turn limits which events they can receive. Or you can use an app like Autostarts to edit specifically which Intents will be sent to which apps. For both solutions, you'll need root access.

Other options:

Autorun Manager
    Gemini App Manager
    (Autostarts is free/open-source software, also available from f-droid.)

WARNING: This can cause apps to stop working or inhibit wanted functionality. Proceed with caution, especially with critical system apps.

Posted via CB10
    However, the main issue being that this is on BlackBerry where root is not feasible, this isn't an option.....

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-12-14 08:35 PM
    However, the main issue being that this is on BlackBerry where root is not feasible, this isn't an option.....

Glad you found out.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 12:15 AM
    Glad you found out.

Posted via CB10
    :/

12-13-14 07:48 AM
    F'n Facebook app runs also 24/7 too but I have never started or used it. It kept comming back untill I deleted it for good. I wish there was a way to delete other useless apps like StoryMaker, LinkedIn, Maps (because it's joke compared to Google maps) Assistant, Music etc etc.
    12-13-14 10:31 AM
    Native apps that run headless have an option like in the screenshot below. BlackBerry Blend is more of a system service that runs, much like PIM or BlackBerry Hub. Unfortunately, there really isn't a good way to manage Android apps.

Apps that continue to stay open.-toggle_headless.png
    12-14-14 12:01 PM