Are there any issues (security, functional, carrier restrictions) with running an official 10.2 install on a carrier device that hasn't officially received the update from the carrier?

I ask because, like many I am stuck on a US carrier that still hasn't pushed out the 10.2 update (Sprint). I downloaded Sachesi, have the step by step guide ready to go, understand the Rodgers version of the OS is ideal for Sprint Q10, and have a backup done. But I want to ensure that running another carrier's official version of 10.2 won't have repercussions (like security issues, carrier incompatibility, inability to receive future OS updates OTA, etc?)

So at this point with official releases being loaded without official carrier pushes, is there any downside to doing it now rather than waiting forever for Sprint to push it?
    03-01-14 02:11 PM
    Not a single problem. Lots of benefits.
    quickinstinct likes this.
    03-01-14 02:15 PM
    Nope you will be happy if you download the latest 10.2.1 leak/official update everything should work fine, just do a backup before using link. And remember you can always go back to your carrier official update as well

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 02:15 PM
    Nope you will be happy if you download the latest 10.2.1 leak/official update everything should work fine, just do a backup before using link. And remember you can always go back to your carrier official update as well

Posted via CB10

Thanks good to know. So basically when my carrier does eventually push out an official update, it will still come through OTA even if I'm running a 10.2 from another carrier?
    03-01-14 02:30 PM
    Basically yes... Many of us run a leak and recieve the notification normally if the OTA update is a newer version than the leaked OS.

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2102
    03-01-14 02:42 PM
    Basically yes... Many of us run a leak and recieve the notification normally if the OTA update is a newer version than the leaked OS.

Exactly what he said. If your carrier pushes out an OS that's bigger/higher than the OS your running then yes you will get notification. If it's not higher then you won't get anything

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 02:43 PM

That's excellent to know and all I needed to know to confirm I should get myself updated. Off I go to see if I can get this masterpiece to work.
    habs_fan likes this.
    03-01-14 02:43 PM
    Here's a set of instructions I have posted here on how to install a leak, as well as links to more detailed instructions others have posted:

To install follow these simple steps.
    Preliminary notes: generally the file you download is a zip file that open using the free 7-Zip software 7-Zip . These instructions are for PCs, I don't believe that you can use this method on a MAC. Some don't restore but re-set everything up from scratch. I, personally have not had a problem restoring.

1. Download the correct zip file for your make and model of BB
    2. extract the autoloader .exe file
    3. Backup your BB10 using BBLink. This is necessary because the autoloader will wipe all the data and settings on your device. Note it will not touch data on your SD Card
    4. Close BBLink. keep your pc connected to the BB10
    5. Start the autoloader .exe file. This will load the new version of the OS
    6. Go through the initialization process (don't bother to sign into BB unless you don't plan to do a security wipe in step 7). There is a two step tutorial at the end that you cannot bypass.
    7. Do a security wipe of the phone by going to (this takes about 20 minutes or so) Settings/Security and Privacy/Security Wipe (This is a recommended but not required step, its purpose is to clean any fragments of older OS or other software left on the phone)
    8. Repeat step 6 signing into BB this time (omit if no security wipe done).
    9. Restore from BBLink. I recommend that you do not do a full restore but restore settings and media first, then restore applications data
    You will have to reinput passwords for e-mail, linked in, facebook etc and redo bluetooth connections (don't know why it doesn't save them).

You now have the latest software. It takes about 24 hours for the OS to settle down, re-index things etc. but then you will find you have a much better, smoother running machine with more functionality and better battery life.

More detailed instructions can be found here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...ummies-895151/

and here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...rocess-876037/
    03-01-14 03:10 PM
    Thanks but I just went and installed an official version. Worked well and no need for a security wipe.
    Ah sorry, I missed that in your OP, I thought you wanted to install a leak because your carrier was not releasing the upgrade.
    03-01-14 06:16 PM
    Ah sorry, I missed that in your OP, I thought you wanted to install a leak because your carrier was not releasing the upgrade.
    I think he wanted an official version via "other country"/"other probvider", by using Sachesi or swapping SIM... wiithout mentioning the way he wanted to do it... he just talked about another provider.

03-02-14 03:14 AM