09-27-14 11:50 PM
28 12
tools
    So, question for anyone who might understand the technical nature of this - but as we get newer and newer Android Runtimes with 10.3, etc - we are, of course getting greater and greater compatibility with standard apps. As an example - Uber and Yelp. Both of these needed Google Play Services - but no longer.

Exactly how is Blackberry doing that? My guess is that they are intercepting calls and allowing the Apps to gracefully not get Google Services. In the case of Uber - they must be turning calls to Google maps into calls to open source maps.

So, whatever they are doing - they continue to lock down Google and yahoo app complaining. Anyone know how? Are they hardcoding stuff for specific apps, do you think?
    08-31-14 10:33 PM
    I'd have to assume that their ultimate goal is to make the android runtime up to par with the the runtime on android devices. I'm not sure how they are going to do this.

I hope that they will eventually allow Google sync so you can back your games up using google+ (or possibly find a way to have games back up on a BlackBerry server instead of google+?)

They've come a long way with their Android emulator, so who knows where they'll go next.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 10:39 PM
    I'd have to assume that their ultimate goal is to make the android runtime up to par with the the runtime on android devices. I'm not sure how they are going to do this.

I hope that they will eventually allow Google sync so you can back your games up using google+ (or possibly find a way to have games back up on a BlackBerry server instead of google+?)

They've come a long way with their Android emulator, so who knows where they'll go next.

Posted via CB10
    I read that I guess the game data can be synced using Amazon's game server!

I don't use games but I know lots of people do.

Z30, it's the life I chose.
    08-31-14 10:46 PM
    So, question for anyone who might understand the technical nature of this - but as we get newer and newer Android Runtimes with 10.3, etc - we are, of course getting greater and greater compatibility with standard apps. As an example - Uber and Yelp. Both of these needed Google Play Services - but no longer.

Exactly how is Blackberry doing that? My guess is that they are intercepting calls and allowing the Apps to gracefully not get Google Services. In the case of Uber - they must be turning calls to Google maps into calls to open source maps.

So, whatever they are doing - they continue to lock down Google and yahoo app complaining. Anyone know how? Are they hardcoding stuff for specific apps, do you think?
    I'm sure the Amazon deal has something to do with it, amazon has services just like Google,

thermiks likes this.
    08-31-14 10:50 PM
    I've noticed YouTube app and Google Chrome also Firefox working on 10.3 when they didn't work for me on 10.2.1. Don't know what's up with that....

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 11:02 PM
    Google Earth work too,not sure if they worked before,

08-31-14 11:03 PM
    I've noticed YouTube app and Google Chrome also Firefox working on 10.3 when they didn't work for me on 10.2.1. Don't know what's up with that....

Posted via CB10
    Yes - that is exactly my point. I think that the Android Runtime is handling the Google Maps V2 requests a little better. But it seems that they are also adding more and more that was not supported before.

YouTube does not work for me thought...
    08-31-14 11:22 PM
    And, to get more opinions, you can either do one or the other with respect to Android compatibility

1. Standard build, load Google Login Services, and that's it. Example, this allows you to access your Google Maps and Music when loading those apps.

2. Install the patched Google Play Services (GMS) and then patch all APK's that require Google Play Services. But, if you do this, then apps that BlackBerry put countermeasures into the runtime don't work (like Uber).

So, no universal solution to get Play APK's working (Expedia, Yelp maps, Lyft).

My guess, again, is that BlackBerry is hard coding compatibility into the runtime for specific popular apps (Instagram, Uber). This may be why the new Runtime does not work with new versions of Instagram

Posted via CB10
    immitchell likes this.
    09-01-14 08:45 AM
    out of curiosity, cant you install play services on 10.3? or the compatbility is not there yet/locked on purpose?
    09-01-14 09:03 AM
    You can install Play Services, it just does not work. You have to install a Patched version, which interacts with Patched Apk's to direct apps to different calls - like the Maps' api.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 09:08 AM
    You can install Play Services, it just does not work. You have to install a Patched version, which interacts with Patched Apk's to direct apps to different calls - like the Maps' api.

Posted via CB10
    so the runtime compatibility is just not there yet
    09-01-14 09:14 AM
    I'm not as optimistic about the changes I've seen as you are. For example, a lot of newer apps that are targeting upcoming Android L don't work properly on BlackBerry. Groupon, OpenTable, even Google Maps all fail on BlackBerry. The first two require up-to-date Google Play Services, and the latter fails if said services are installed. Apps like Microsoft Office, OneNote, Photoshop Express, all fail. There is still no support for Wi-Fi Direct connections through Wi-Fi multicast, so apps like Canon EOS and DSLR Controller do not work. Even Netflix us starting to make calls to the latest Google Play Services.

Now, of course you can choose to go with some of these apps installed from the Amazon App Store, however, many are not available, and those that are, tend to be (sometimes severely) out-of-date.

Overall, the Android runtime on BlackBerry 10 is still far from functional for general productivity.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 09:42 AM
    On 10.3 with 10.3.0.168 android runtime the latest Candy Crush release starts to work fine!!!!

I believe many other apps will work too!!!

I have Q10 SQN100-3 with 10.3.0.675_1130 OS & 10.3.0.1053 Radio.
    09-01-14 09:47 AM
    BlackBerry has intentionally placed a "stub" for parts of Google's "bundle" into their Android player, and it cannot be removed (since you don't have root access nor can you unpack a bar file and repack it as doing so requires a signing key you do not have.)

This prevents you from loading the "real" Google components because the phone already has them there, even though they're a non-functional "stub."

Absent BlackBerry removing that from future builds (or someone breaking BB10's security and gaining root) the option to install the full Google suite of authentication and billing services does not exist on BB10.
    howzehedoit likes this.
    09-01-14 09:50 AM
    BlackBerry has intentionally placed a "stub" for parts of Google's "bundle" into their Android player, and it cannot be removed (since you don't have root access nor can you unpack a bar file and repack it as doing so requires a signing key you do not have.)

This prevents you from loading the "real" Google components because the phone already has them there, even though they're a non-functional "stub."

Absent BlackBerry removing that from future builds (or someone breaking BB10's security and gaining root) the option to install the full Google suite of authentication and billing services does not exist on BB10.
    This would be all fine and well had they ensured that the latest apps that make calls to various latest available Google Play Services actually work. Right now some apps that used to work are ceasing to do so, and more of this will happen as the top tier apps move closer towards Android L. Staying many versions behind with Amazon App Store is not a viable option. One thing you want to ensure with Android apps is that you are running the latest versions whenever possible. A lot less bugs, exploits, etc.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 09:56 AM
    And the way I see it, none of this is BlackBerry's fault. I just don't get it when people yearn for BlackBerry to make their android runtime compatible with Google play.... this is beyond BlackBerry, It is Google's decision whether or not, they want play services available on BB10. Clearly, google will never allow that hence, the amazon deal. The more BlackBerry tries to improve on the runtime, the more Google ties popular apps into Google play and BlackBerry can't legally do anything about Google play except Google permits. Am I wrong?
    09-01-14 11:10 AM
    And the way I see it, none of this is BlackBerry's fault. I just don't get it when people yearn for BlackBerry to make their android runtime compatible with Google play.... this is beyond BlackBerry, It is Google's decision whether or not, they want play services available on BB10. Clearly, google will never allow that hence, the amazon deal. The more BlackBerry tries to improve on the runtime, the more Google ties popular apps into Google play and BlackBerry can't legally do anything about Google play except Google permits. Am I wrong?
    blackberry intentionally blocks google play services, while if you get an amazon fire phone for example, you can install the apk yourself and it will jsut work
    dejanh and sunetos like this.
    09-01-14 11:17 AM
    blackberry intentionally blocks google play services, while if you get an amazon fire phone for example, you can install the apk yourself and it will jsut work
    This is the truth.

Not offering it is one thing. Blocking it altogether is another.

BlackBerry has no reason to block it.

Posted via CB10
    dejanh and sunetos like this.
    09-01-14 11:26 AM
    This is the truth.

Not offering it is one thing. Blocking it altogether is another.

BlackBerry has no reason to block it.

Posted via CB10
    Well what if one was to download a dangerous app, one which could current files through the android runtime, they probably don't want people getting viruses in there emulator, which then would pose a security risk with blackberry would not stand for.

I only use Spotify and Instagram regularily, Instagram has had issues recently, Spotify is amazing. I'm pretty satisfied with my android apps. I also have a few others which I open very rarely, non that use play services, except SnapChat, which I use snap2chat more frequently, but even it has problems, still want my money back lol

09-01-14 03:17 PM
    Thanks for the comments folks. This is what I am most worried about. Developers - enticed by Google Services, will continue to take the easy road which is to use Google Play Services. This means that they will continue to get further and further away from non Google devices. Unless there is another very large market - you end up with just Apple and Google - a very sad place.

In order for there to be a long term viable option - there needs to be a large market for non Google Play Android apps, or something else. Google - understanding this, gave Play Services to Cyanogen Mod - so as to ensure that large populations keep the in Google fold.

Amazon - when they made their stupid Fire Phone, and even their Tablets - made the wrong play - and created a non-useful version of a forked Android.

That leaves Windows Phone - which has a chance because MSFT is baking everything all togethoer. However, I don't know about you - but I am not the biggest fan of the Windows Phone UX.

SO, all the non-google non-apple companies need to band togethoer and come up with a solution. Otherwise, there will only be one outcome.
    09-01-14 04:18 PM
    Thanks for the comments folks. This is what I am most worried about. Developers - enticed by Google Services, will continue to take the easy road which is to use Google Play Services. This means that they will continue to get further and further away from non Google devices. Unless there is another very large market - you end up with just Apple and Google - a very sad place.

In order for there to be a long term viable option - there needs to be a large market for non Google Play Android apps, or something else. Google - understanding this, gave Play Services to Cyanogen Mod - so as to ensure that large populations keep the in Google fold.

Amazon - when they made their stupid Fire Phone, and even their Tablets - made the wrong play - and created a non-useful version of a forked Android.

That leaves Windows Phone - which has a chance because MSFT is baking everything all togethoer. However, I don't know about you - but I am not the biggest fan of the Windows Phone UX.

SO, all the non-google non-apple companies need to band togethoer and come up with a solution. Otherwise, there will only be one outcome.
    It's not the devs moving towards GSF, it's the other way around. Soon most of the popular apps will rely on GSF making it impossible for anybody outside to run. Google is slowly tightening the screws. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...s-necessary/3/

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by m1kr0; 09-02-14 at 01:34 AM.
    09-01-14 04:27 PM
    So, i loaded up the new 1154 OS - and it seems that they have added some more small changes to the runtime. In particular - whatever Amazon compatibility was needed - it seems to have been put into this build The Amazon version of Yelp now works without any issues (it did not before for me). OpenTable Amazon version still says that it requires Google Playstore integration (which seems odd given that Amazon would not support that either.

Anyone else notice this?
    09-04-14 09:36 PM
    I use mobogenie to install all of my Android apps.

I use Google Maps and Firefox daily and can tell you on 10.3.xx I have had absolutely no issues whatsoever.

The only problem I have lately is that when using LiNE all messages come up in Caps. Can't seem to get the keyboard working right with LINE. It could be on their side, but I suspect it's BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 10:24 PM
    So, I was wrong. If the apps from Amazon are supposed to work without issue on a Blackberry - then Blackberry is still missing some Amazon integration. I think that this mostly has to do with integration with Maps V2 i believe. I hope that they create greater integration with whatever Amazon is doing.
    09-05-14 07:22 AM
    Hello guys. I have found an affordable solution for the gApps. In the UK from BlackBerry World cost just 0.75 pounds. The only one app is not included is the Hangouts. Maybe some of you with more knowledge can find out how the BlackBerry God's got working all of the gApps in this application. I'm using it on BlackBerry Z10 and my sw version is 10.3.0.1052

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 12:10 PM
28 12