I am not sure if this has been discussed already but why on earth my BlackBerry should have Android running on it even if it is VM?

I just don't get it. It feels like a parasite every time I look at those folders. Do we know how much resources this run time is consuming?

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 07:28 AM
    I am not sure if this has been discussed already but why on earth my BlackBerry should have Android running on it even if it is VM?

I just don't get it. It feels like a parasite every time I look at those folders. Do we know how much resources this run time is consuming?

I can't figure out what you mean by this text:

...why on earth my BlackBerry should have Android running on it even if it is VM?

Do you mean - why should it have Android running ALL THE TIME, ie upon every boot? IE if you feel that you aren't running any Android apps, why is the Android runtime taking up resources continuously?

Keep in mind that many "BB10 apps" are in fact ported Android apps which still require the Android runtime to function. The BB10 version of Skype is one example of this. Ebay is another. Slacker Radio is yet another.

So in reality, the likelihood of never requiring the Android runtime to run at all, for most users, is not high.

You can see after a cold boot of the device, the first Android app you attempt to run will initialize the Android runtime. Unlike subsequent launches of Android apps, there is a short delay with a black screen with a Blackberry logo on it, with text that appears momentarily that states something like "Please wait, initializing...".
    06-15-13 07:50 AM
    I am trying to understand the wisdom behind having anything Android on BlackBerry. Many will give this or that reason....I think BlackBerry should have given option on removing Android Run Time if one does not need it and is not going to use Android ports....
    06-15-13 08:52 AM
    Anyone who would choose to remove the Android run time would be greatly sacrificing the amount of usable applications available to them. As stated earlier in the tread many applications are ported over and require the runtime.

If it is a big deal to you then just don't use any applications that are ports.

If you choose to do this just be sure you don't start another thread about Android application s that are ported over and your opinion of that idea.

There are already quite a few of these types of threads.

CB10 App, Z10
    06-15-13 09:16 AM
    I am trying to understand the wisdom behind having anything Android on BlackBerry. Many will give this or that reason....I think BlackBerry should have given option on removing Android Run Time if one does not need it and is not going to use Android ports....
    The wisdom is closing the App gap as quickly as possible.

CB10 App, Z10
    06-15-13 09:18 AM
    None of your explanations are enough to justify Android running in BlackBerry. I have paid for BlackBerry and not Android so there should be an option to uninstall it. I don't want to use it so I should be able to remove it.

With Windows 2008 Microsoft gave an option to select what gets installed starting from core OS to roles such as Web, Hyper-V etc.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 01:00 PM
    I also paid for my BlackBerry, and I got bonus an android player

I'll pay even more if I could get an iOS player

I'm not a huge fan of sideloading myself, in fact, I didn't sideload any android converted apps, but hey, it's nice to know that you got the ability to use that apps in case I want it, and some people even reporting that some sideloaded apps are working better even compared with the same apps running on the native android device

I honestly don't know why BlackBerry got this clever idea of having android player built into their OS / device, but perhaps, I repeat, PERHAPS, they simply realize that they're developing a new platform, which not many developers are going to instantly build their apps natively into this new platform, while with this ability and features, there must be a lot of customers who wants to run many many apps on this device

Who knows, when the platform is getting bigger and bigger, and the choices of apps are growing, or hopefully even more choices than the android itself, BlackBerry will remove the android player from their device / OS

Just my 2 cents
    06-15-13 01:09 PM
    @riv...It all sounds good...just that we should have had option of removing this VM if we wish too..

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 01:22 PM
    @riv...It all sounds good...just that we should have had option of removing this VM if we wish too..

Posted via CB10
    What is the point of wanting to uninstall it? If you don't want to run android apps don't install them. It's like wanting to remove wifi because you don't have a wireless router. It's not taking up any significant room or functionality being in the OS.
    06-15-13 01:33 PM
    What is the point of wanting to uninstall it? If you don't want to run android apps don't install them. It's like wanting to remove wifi because you don't have a wireless router. It's not taking up any significant room or functionality being in the OS.
    Well actually it is taking up storage space and RAM. (I don't know how much RAM when no Android processes are actually running)

However I can perfectly understand Blackberry's reluctance to remove (or even make optional) some component that would immediately reduce the number of accessible apps in BlackBerry World from approx 120,000 to something closer to 20,000.

Do you demand that Microsoft remove VBA or mail-merge from Word, or pivot-tables in Excel simply because you don't personally use those features? No reasonable person would. If you don't like their design decisions, there are other platforms to choose from.

Those features are there for good reasons and serve important purposes for many users and potential users. Last time I checked, I dont have the option to order my Honda without door locks just because I don't like to lock my doors.
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    06-15-13 05:02 PM
    @OmniTech your examples are misplaced. MS does not run Linux under its hood so that you can run Linux binaries on it, nor does Honda give you dual locks so that you can open the doors with Suzuki keys just cause you fancy it. But both do give you option of customizing their own range of models / OS either in house or you can get them customized else where if you wish to. In case of MS you have a choice of installing Citrix, VMWare or any other VM/VDI to run any OS you fancy but MS does not force it down your throat just because MS wants.

This is very simple for me. If I had to run any Android apps then I would rather buy Android phone. In your words - If I want to open the door of Honda with Suzuki keys then I would rather buy a Suzuki and not try to install Suzuki locks on Honda.

I have never said that I don't like the plat form. All I am saying is there should have been an option to uninstall Android VM if I (anyone) want to - simple.

@Sporatic - but we all still have an option of completely switching off Wi-Fi when we know there isn't any network in range. I am sure you will agree that it saves ample of battery power and processor cycles.
    06-15-13 05:51 PM
    @OmniTech your examples are misplaced. MS does not run Linux under its hood so that you can run Linux binaries on it, nor does Honda give you dual locks so that you can open the doors with Suzuki keys just cause you fancy it. But both do give you option of customizing their own range of models / OS either in house or you can get them customized else where if you wish to. In case of MS you have a choice of installing Citrix, VMWare or any other VM/VDI to run any OS you fancy but MS does not force it down your throat just because MS wants.

This is very simple for me. If I had to run any Android apps then I would rather buy Android phone. In your words - If I want to open the door of Honda with Suzuki keys then I would rather buy a Suzuki and not try to install Suzuki locks on Honda.

I have never said that I don't like the plat form. All I am saying is there should have been an option to uninstall Android VM if I (anyone) want to - simple.

@Sporatic - but we all still have an option of completely switching off Wi-Fi when we know there isn't any network in range. I am sure you will agree that it saves ample of battery power and processor cycles.
    But why not just have the wifi software taken out unless someone wants it for their router. If it's there, even if wifi is turned off, there is still code that is still working with the radio. The phone is designed with those processes in mind and as long as you have ram available you aren't running any slower. The phone is designed to make use of as much ram as possible at any given time, so if you have ram to spare it means all the processes running are getting what they need with room to spare.

Using your example of a car, if for some bizarre reason Honda made a car compatible with Suzuki key fobs, would you request that they not include it on all cars and rather make it an option? Of course not. Why? Because if you don't want to use a Suzuki key, just don't. It's a feature that if not used, it's does nothing.

This is by far the most bizarre complaint I've seen about this phone, and I have a lot of complaints. If blackberry could not run android apps there would be far less owners of the phone at this time.
    06-15-13 06:16 PM
    Suraj - if the Android runtime is really bothering you, their are ways to remove it. Search the forums and I'm sure you'll find something.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 06:53 PM
    Thanks @DJ..that's what I am searching for now..

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 07:35 PM
    It makes no difference whether the feature you don't want is a feature that provides access to some other type of software or if it simply does something like produce a report in MS Word that you happen to have no personal interest in.

The Android runtime, like any other software functionality, is a central feature of the product. It is a central feature of the product because, among other things, without it, the appeal of the product to MOST potential buyers would be greatly reduced.

For a company like RIM/Blackberry to spend development resources on, complicate the configuration and compatibility of, and increase the support costs of their entire platform to serve an absolutely microscropic minority of users/potential users who have some sort of philosophical issue with the inclusion of that Android runtime, would be absurd.

What exactly do you hope to accomplish by removing the runtime, in technical terms?
    06-15-13 09:15 PM
    It's not a vm first off, secondly it only is on when you run an android app. So out of sight out of mind?

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 09:22 PM
    None of your explanations are enough to justify Android running in BlackBerry. I have paid for BlackBerry and not Android so there should be an option to uninstall it. I don't want to use it so I should be able to remove it.

With Windows 2008 Microsoft gave an option to select what gets installed starting from core OS to roles such as Web, Hyper-V etc.

Posted via CB10
    How about qnx is powerful enough to run another os within it and because android is partially open source they are able to do this to show the others what they can't do. If one os can do something the others can't why not do it?

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 10:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    You didn't get an android phone or and android OS. You got a blackberry that is just able to run android apps as well. We all get that you wish you could remove the capability, but none of us can figure out why.
    It's like wanting to remove the ability to access a Hotmail account because you didn't buy a Microsoft phone.
    06-15-13 11:23 PM