09-18-15 09:45 PM
86 1234
tools
    This is a funny conundrum, which I'm sure is being repeated many times in many places. I have my personal Blackberry Passport for fun, and since the company I'm with uses a lot of popular services, I have to have an Android phone for work.

Since the last couple of updates have ruined my signal strength on my passport, and with rumours of them going Android anyway, and abandoning support for my hardware, what incentive do I have to keep using a Blackberry?

I don't care if they go droid, I need it now, not in 6 months.

I can just carry one phone, my Android phone. Simply put, Blackberry is pretty much obsolete at this point, and they themselves have done it.

Shame too, I still can't get a decent email app on my Android. I hope Blackberry DOES go android, just so I can have those APKs
    08-27-15 02:55 PM
    Me? Maybe you need to be sensible and realistic. How BlackBerry can compete with other Android OEM? With the Keyboard or because the form factor of the Slider? And don't you think consumer need that? Business? With Android? That have many flaws in security, stability and performance? And John Chen with Google Services repeat that he is committed to security and privacy? Yes in which dream?

BB10 poor sales are the result of no marketing and no investments. There is many people that still think BlackBerry has device with only keyboard and old OS. Is their fault for don't know? Yes, but is also the fault of BlackBerry that hasn't doing nothing for that.
    BB10 can be alive with his niche market share.
    Lol I think you'll be the one who will get super disappointed first if chen release berrydroid,let's see... but in my opinion, bb10 wasn't has a good apps environment, so it's another point that will make it down. And one of example from my case, your battery was worse if locations service set to on, but in android I can get same battery discharge between locationing on or locationing off. I agree about the security,stability and performance of blackberry os, but it only applies to OS 5.0 -8.1. And bb10 was using android runtime right? In my side, i was agree if chen make a movement in bb10 device. CMIIW.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 03:01 PM
    It doesn't matter how we got here. We are here now. The device business is over with BB10. The fat lady has sung and gone home.

Android is certainly harder to secure, but businesses have, for the most part, ALREADY moved to iPhone and Android through corporate issued devices or through BYOD.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    To iPhone not to Android. Samsung has asked the help of BlackBerry to make secure Android. We can so also device business is over with Windows Phone, Tizen or FirefoxOS. So close everything and enjoy the two OS? No, i repeat BB10 can have is niche market.
    08-27-15 03:20 PM
    To iPhone not to Android. Samsung has asked the help of BlackBerry to make secure Android. We can so also device business is over with Windows Phone, Tizen or FirefoxOS. So close everything and enjoy the two OS? No, i repeat BB10 can have is niche market.
    The BYOD market is 80% Android - just like everything else.

Microsoft has more money than God.

The other boutique OSes you speak of are pet projects by muti-billion dollar companies who have many other sources of revenue.

BlackBerry cannot afford to 'dabble' with a tiny, niche OS.

08-27-15 03:23 PM
    Lol I think you'll be the one who will get super disappointed first if chen release berrydroid,let's see... but in my opinion, bb10 wasn't has a good apps environment, so it's another point that will make it down. And one of example from my case, your battery was worse if locations service set to on, but in android I can get same battery discharge between locationing on or locationing off. I agree about the security,stability and performance of blackberry os, but it only applies to OS 5.0 -8.1. And bb10 was using android runtime right? In my side, i was agree if chen make a movement in bb10 device. CMIIW.

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely. I don't see any motivation to have an Android only device. The apps on BB10 can be better than Android, but it depends on developers. This need to be fixed by BlackBerry and i hope they fix all the bugs of the 10.3.1 with 10.3.2
    08-27-15 03:24 PM
    The BYOD market is 80% Android - just like everything else.

Microsoft has more money than God.

The other boutique OSes you speak of are pet projects by muti-billion dollar companies who have many other sources of revenue.

BlackBerry cannot afford to 'dabble' with a tiny, niche OS.

Android is always a loser in the business. The 80% is for market share but not for business.

Really? Do you think MS can loose money for life? Mozilla or Jolla? Do you think Android is better? Well i hope they do this move, for see how the hacker are going to completely destroyed the device and the famous security of BB.
    08-27-15 03:27 PM
    Android is always a loser in the business. The 80% is for market share but not for business.

Really? Do you think MS can loose money for life? Mozilla or Jolla? Do you think Android is better? Well i hope they do this move, for see how the hacker are going to completely destroyed the device and the famous security of BB.
    BYOD means "bring your own device". If 80% of consumers are Android, then 80% of BYOD should be Android too (roughly).

Most everyone I know have Androids at work.

You seem to not understand my position. I love BB10. I wished it had flourished. But it didn't, and we have to accept that. BlackBerry must move forward in the best way possible, and, if they continue to make solid devices, I'll support them as I always have.

tcsizmadia and anon(9155131) like this.
    08-27-15 03:35 PM
    BYOD means "bring your own device". If 80% of consumers are Android, then 80% of BYOD should be Android too (roughly).

Most everyone I know have Androids at work.

You seem to not understand my position. I love BB10. I wished it had flourished. But it didn't, and we have to accept that. BlackBerry must move forward in the best way possible, and, if they continue to make solid devices, I'll support them as I always have.

Not every companies support BYOD. Instead the people i know use iOS or the old BlackBerry.

Yes must move forward to the total failure. This is how Google support privacy and security
    https://twitter.com/FredericJacobs/s...31831619788800
    After the switch let me know how the word of John Chen can be compatible with that.
    08-27-15 03:38 PM
    Not every companies support BYOD.
    Of course not. But many, if not most, do. Certainly far more than are issuing BB10 devices to their employees.

08-27-15 05:52 PM
    As much as I like the BB10 experience it's not going anywhere, there isn't a roadmap for the future of the os, and its either we lose BlackBerry devices overall, or we still get our BlackBerries with a different operating system. It's not like a Passport running Android stops being a Passport, it's the same device, and to some extent, it's a better device on Android than it was in BB10. BlackBerry still makes the hardware, and since Android is Open Source, they can modify it in any way they want, so the integration can be just as good. One of the reasons BB10 is such a Secure OS it because of the QNX Micro Kernel, Android runs on top of the Linux Monolithic Kernel, it is entirely possible that BlackBerry can rebuild Android to run on top of QNX, which then will isolate the userspace software from the device level hardware. Based on this the current concepts of Android rooting won't apply since that the Linux Kernel would no longer be a part of BlackBerry's Android Fork, I believe that due to the nature of QNX it would be rather difficult to do, but I've yet to fully read up on this (This is just a thought, and it may not be fully formed so don't start screaming and tearing your hair out).
    Last edited by technology-buzz; 08-27-15 at 08:42 PM.
    08-27-15 08:27 PM
    It sounded like rage in first post .
    I have 2 devices Q10 and Nexus5 , i get your point about software , have same "problem" just saying its not healthy to be mad .
    08-28-15 02:43 AM
    It soud like rage from him . Hi has valid point ,yes , i dint say hi is wrong !?!? did i ?

I have same problem and 2 devices with me BB10 and Android . Nothing bad there !
    08-28-15 02:46 AM
    It's coming with Silver Edition
    Android OS for Passport?-img_20150825_235138_edit.png
    Android OS for Passport?-img_20150825_235056_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 03:18 AM
    The only way for make secure Android is to using QNX Hypervisor and BB10 need to be still here. From the rumors they like to switch only to Android.
    And let me give you another example of Android is full of flaws. Two weeks ago a relative has bought an Asus Zenfone 2, today after try several apps, the device is already become slow and has 2 GB of RAM.
    Do you really think BlackBerry can fix this? Yes need to completely rewriting major parts of Android, after that they can't use Google Services. Lollipop is already know like the Windows Vista of Android.

So doing a switch completely to Android from a stable and good OS for what? For apps? And lose your privacy, security, stability and performance?
    Catberry74 likes this.
    08-28-15 03:30 AM
    The only way for make secure Android is to using QNX Hypervisor and BB10 need to be still here. From the rumors they like to switch only to Android.
    And let me give you another example of Android is full of flaws. Two weeks ago a relative has bought an Asus Zenfone 2, today after try several apps, the device is already become slow and has 2 GB of RAM.
    Do you really think BlackBerry can fix this? Yes need to completely rewriting major parts of Android, after that they can't use Google Services. Lollipop is already know like the Windows Vista of Android.

So doing a switch completely to Android from a stable and good OS for what? For apps? And lose your privacy, security, stability and performance?
    Just let it be droid Mark. Calm yourselves. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 05:13 AM
    Waiting for android

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 05:54 AM
    It's coming with Silver Edition
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150825_235138_edit.png 
Views:	1642 
Size:	165.4 KB 
ID:	368651
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150825_235056_edit.png 
Views:	1637 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	368652

Posted via CB10
    I don't care!
    bwahaha
    08-28-15 06:49 AM
    I would like to see android run on a blackbery device
    08-28-15 06:57 AM
    there is no blackberry without bb10, period. there is only bbm. time for another name change. why bother diluting the company further and taking away the best smartphone platform from those who know and love it? what about highly security conscious corporate and govt clients?

Posted via CBX
    08-28-15 01:44 PM
    ... what about highly security conscious corporate and govt clients?
    What about them? There doesn't seem to be enough of them to support BlackBerry's hardware division!
    08-28-15 03:27 PM
    08-28-15 03:42 PM
    There was a BlackBerry before BB10, and there will be one after.
    08-28-15 04:06 PM
    there was bbOS, then there was the QNX acquisition ie: bb10....there won't be another.

Posted via CBX
    08-29-15 12:09 AM
    I am not marketing expert and didn"t use android OS but BB10 and like it,sometime more sometime less.When i read opinion on GSM arena 90% of the questions"can I use Android apps on BB10 device?"Or install it and so on.My opinion,sometimes to train Your dog You have to give him some thing valuable only for him(food or toy) and not for You,if You want him to pay attention on what You say,in this case Market the dog You would like to train.
    08-29-15 10:29 AM
    @wMarck90, you are very correct in your post. I don't see why blackberry want to switch completely to android which is not stable and contains a lot of bugs. Rather than switching to android, I would prefer they maintain the BB10 OS and include the Powered By Android In the start up since like I heard, it's one of the reasons Google refused to allow BB10 run Google play services so we can have smooth running android apps.

Posted by djeniuss via the CB10 App
    08-29-15 10:57 AM
86 1234