Ive noticed the notification viewer functionality in 10.3 SDK.

Does support push notification functionality?

For example instagram running on an android gives you alerts and notifications when someone tags you or mentions you on a post, even when the app is closed.

I think this is a very important feature seeing that BB10 native apps arent going anywhere anytime soon.
    06-03-14 06:15 AM
    Typo in title corrected.
    06-03-14 06:20 AM
    Just a sidenote - not to get stuff mixed up
    There are
    push messages (once called c2dm now called gcm) (those sometimes do show up as a notification.)
    and there are notifications (the stuff we (used to) see in hub and android displays in their notification drawer top thingy)

For notifications I really hope they put some work in there!
    The notification 'view' showing up in 10.3 makes me curious, there is so much functionality missing in current notifications. Going native you would use a Card to handly shiny notifications, but the android runtime does only support the limited set of options I think https://developer.blackberry.com/nat...notifications/

Push messaging - once you are using the android runtime on BlackBerry you can't use the current version of Google's push (those are now bundled to the play services, yay)
    Used to work fine for me ages ago, when Google had Push still in beta - think it was called c2dm then. But not any more. You have to use the Standalone implementation provided by BlackBerry https://developer.blackberry.com/and...roid_apps.html
    06-03-14 06:37 AM
    I'm certainly nowhere as knowledgeable as the posters above me on this topic, but I'll throw my support behind the OP's sentiments. I'd certainly like android apps like Voxer & others to be able to trigger alerts when I get a message, etc.

As it stands now I either have to have Voxer running in an active frame, or the other party texts me to tell me to open Voxer.
    The Big Picture likes this.
    06-03-14 06:58 AM
    It only works sometimes. I have an app called between (chatting app for couples) and it is very unpredictive. Sometimes it will work but other times it just hates you.

06-03-14 07:03 AM
    I completely agree, everything concerning Hub should be top-notch! It's a key features for BlackBerry users.
    IMHO they should get rid of that 'notification card' and open the app instantly or at least show something more than a card with some lines of text.
    Either remove that extra step to open the app or add some actual use to the card like dismiss, delete, put notifications to sleep....
    hassanalusi likes this.
    06-03-14 07:14 AM