Was just wondering if anyone would either verbally or if they are inclined, in a video, show how android apps run on 10.3

Is scrolling in apps fluid now? Do they freeze up? I don't really care about loading times all too much but for example an app like textplus is stupidly slow on 10.2.1 and yet not very complex. I'm half trying to figure out if I should jump to 10.3 and half just very curious as to how the whole Amazon deal will go. The runtime can't stutter like it does now. Hopefully 10.3 has made great strides in this?

Posted via CB10
    jyates likes this.
    07-11-14 08:30 AM
    I've tested the runtime which came with the dev OS and apps I use quite often on a real Android crash on BB10. Could be the Core OS which needs updating.
    BB can't test every app, they'll probably focus on the top 50, so I don't expect these to work.
    meltbox360 likes this.
    07-11-14 09:02 AM
    As Ofutur mentioned, it's really hit and miss. Right now I have Fitbit app and Battelog working flawlessly, but my Xbox One Smartglass is a little more finicky compared to how it runs on my Moto X.

The best way to know is to really give it a try for yourself. We all have different preferences as to what is "good enough" for ourselves when compared to how the app would actually operate on its true platform.

Another example is just this morning I installed Expedia and Hotel.com apps. Expedia would crash, while Hotel.com has a nasty glitch in which you can't choose the date for your booking.

Posted via the White Knight (aka Q10SQN100-1/10.3.0.700)
    meltbox360 likes this.
    07-11-14 09:09 AM
    Hmm interesting. Would you say animations and everything is smooth though? Do lists stutter when scrolling for example?

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 09:18 AM
    Hmm interesting. Would you say animations and everything is smooth though? Do lists stutter when scrolling for example?

Posted via CB10
    Same lack of uniformity... Even on 10.2.1, some panels slide smoothly while others stutter.
    meltbox360 likes this.
    07-11-14 10:02 AM
    Using the new Android I can honestly say lag has improved in several android games such as piano tiles improving my top scores by large amounts. So when it works it works great but some games like words with friends still has huge amount of lag. I suspect the game could use some better coding.

Posted via CB10
    meltbox360 likes this.
    07-11-14 10:24 AM
    Android app performance is great in my opinion on 10.3 and will only get better! Clearly blackberry thinks what they have internally is and will be a smooth product. They wouldn't partner with amazon to bring android apps if the runtime wasn't up to par!

My experience overall has been great and can't wait for the official update!

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    07-11-14 11:14 AM
    I wonder if performance is different on different devices.

On the Z30, basically everything works if it does not rely on Google Services.

Performance is generally good. Load times need to be faster. Some apps have performance issues but most do not.

Posted via CB10
    meltbox360 likes this.
    07-11-14 11:24 AM
    I wonder if performance is different on different devices.

On the Z30, basically everything works if it does not rely on Google Services.

Performance is generally good. Load times need to be faster. Some apps have performance issues but most do not.

Posted via CB10
    It more than likely has to deal with how much background memory is left on the device and how much of a memory hog that specific app is. So most devices have about 1GB used by just the BlackBerry 10 OS itself so to try and run a game (for example) that may eat another 250mb of memory and it'll start to dwindle down.

Just a theory. Not tested or proven.

Posted via the White Knight (aka Q10SQN100-1/10.3.0.700)
    07-11-14 11:37 AM
    Since we are on the android runtime topic. I installed .700 and the runtime worked fine but I had other issues. So reinstalled the. 700 os and now the Android apps just keep loading and then close before anything loads. How do I fix this? Just install the runtime again?

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 01:28 PM
    I use a handful of utilities apps and many games directly installed from amazon / snap on my z30 running the latest leaked runtime build.

Honestly games run in generally perfectly performance wise. Even intense games like Ravensword, Hitman GO, and Dues Ex are very fluid.

I also use the Twich app, netflix, steam, home automation apps, instgram, u torrent, citrix, plex, and others with zero performance issues. All very smooth with zero crashing issues.

It's all app dependent, but for me, all work. The only thing that I wish had more support was Chromecast. Netflix works 100% with it and I use it almost daily.

Posted via CB10
    meltbox360 likes this.
    07-11-14 01:45 PM
    Using the new Android I can honestly say lag has improved in several android games such as piano tiles improving my top scores by large amounts. So when it works it works great but some games like words with friends still has huge amount of lag. I suspect the game could use some better coding.

Posted via CB10
    My roommate and I both have Z10's on Verizon. Mine has 10.3, hers 10.2.1. Works with Friends works better on 10.3.0.296/442 for us.

Crackberry Genius on Verizon STL100-4 10.3.0.296/442
    07-12-14 07:26 PM