10-06-15 10:56 AM
38 12
tools
    I wish that Android 5.0 (Lollipop) will not make development efforts of BlackBerry 10 Runtime for Android apps more difficult.
    anon(8908445) and candytt2020 like this.
    10-15-14 11:25 PM
    I. What. Eh? What's this point of this thread?

Posted via CB10
    peednus likes this.
    10-15-14 11:30 PM
    The BlackBerry Android Runtime has evolved from 2.3, to 4.2 to 4.3. I'm sure it will continue to do so.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.632
    10-15-14 11:35 PM
    There has to be some agreement with Google and BlackBerry to use the runtime in the first place so I don't understand why Google would then make it more difficult. It just doesn't make sense.

Is there any reliable information on these difficulties? If not I don't see this as a real viable thread.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 01:24 AM
    There isn't any agreement. Android is open source, and they are just making Dalvik run on it (and tunneling Android native API calls to BB10 API calls). If they wanted to use Google Services, then they would have to go through an agreement, albeit free - but it would involve certain things such as "Powered By Android" popping up when the phone turns on and more.
    kbz1960, sentimentGX4 and diegonei like this.
    10-16-14 01:34 AM
    5.0 will probably enhance the BlackBerry Experience!

Crackberry Genius on Verizon 10.3.1.632
    10-16-14 02:09 AM
    it could be a lot of work for BlackBerry since google decided to discontinued Dalvik in favor of ART, the android runtime 5.0 must be re-coded from scratch, btw I think we will not see this in near future (OS 10.4?)
    10-16-14 05:37 AM
    Some people who know much more than me has said that ART makes things easier for BlackBerry.

I don't know if this is true or not.

ART has been around a long time now and everyone knew it was the future. If BlackBerry has been acting responsibly, they are on top of this and ART will be available in whatever comes after 10.3.1.

I said "if."

Peevishlicious Crew: Infraction Appeals Advocate
    gemoelle likes this.
    10-16-14 06:55 AM
    It is true. ART makes things easier and the QNX team has already done a good job translating a lot of Linux calls to QNX calls on the old engine, so it should speed up the adoption process.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11..._than_android/

The problem comes from what Google adds to the API. Let's say you want to jump to API level 20, but don't want to drop support for external SD cards. Apps will not know you've created an exception and will not recognise the SD card. Not that bad in this example, but imagine if an app requires methods which are supposed to exist at level 20 and which BlackBerry has removed. The app will crash.

https://developer.android.com/guide/...html#ApiLevels
    Last edited by ofutur; 10-16-14 at 08:57 AM.
    10-16-14 08:01 AM
    It is true. ART makes things easier and the QNX team has already done a good job translating a lot of Linux calls to QNX calls on the old engine, so it should speed up the adoption process.

The problem comes from what Google adds to the API. Let's say you want to jump to API level 20, but don't want to drop support for external SD cards. Apps will not know you've created an exception and will not recognise the SD card. Not that bad in this example, but imagine if an app requires methods which are supposed to exist at level 20 and which BlackBerry has removed. The app will crash.
    This is the smart guy I was referring to.

10-16-14 08:38 AM
    This is the smart guy I was referring to.

Insanely smart guy. Especially when it comes to security.

I wonder if ofutur is part of Anonymous

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 05:19 PM
    Insanely smart guy. Especially when it comes to security.

I wonder if ofutur is part of Anonymous

Posted via CB10
    ofutur was LulzSec
    R Field and eldricho like this.
    10-16-14 07:29 PM
    Smart is good...keep up the good work...

Crackberry Genius on Verizon 10.3.1.632
    10-17-14 04:09 AM
    What's this point of this thread?
    Dear all,

Sincere apologies . . . people have already discussed this topic in another thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...me-art-944078/
    10-17-14 05:14 AM
    I think 4.4 will come with 10.4

Posted via my Z30 running 10.3.0.1418
    10-17-14 07:14 AM
    But what everyone does not seem to notice; Android has put more depth in the OS Design. Which is exactly what BB10 OS 10.3 has left out on purpose. They introduced more flat, retro icons because that was supposed to be the trend now. And Android now does exactly the opposite. I think it strange.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 07:37 AM
    But what everyone does not seem to notice; Android has put more depth in the OS Design. Which is exactly what BB10 OS 10.3 has left out on purpose. They introduced more flat, retro icons because that was supposed to be the trend now. And Android now does exactly the opposite. I think it strange.

Posted via CB10
    Android is in the position to make trends. They were the first to introduce flat and now they made up material designs.
    10-17-14 07:50 AM
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11..._than_android/

https://developer.android.com/guide/...html#ApiLevels
    I am looking at a couple of updates to 10.3 runtime,

- file picker needs to be only native BlackBerry OS and not android (similar to share framework)
    - social account login goes to native apps
    - keyboard does not drop down automatically when replied to an instant notification, it should ideally go down
    - anyway that reduces / replaces google play dependency for login and progress updates through some native app or amazon store
    - FPS needs to be updated. It's not so great and especially not consistent on all apps
    - can kitkat or lollipop ART run time be implemented in BlackBerry 10

Do you think these are quite possible?

My focus is to reduce the dependency on android and yet use it the best way.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 08:30 AM
    I am looking at a couple of updates to 10.3 runtime,

- file picker needs to be only native BlackBerry OS and not android (similar to share framework)
    - social account login goes to native apps
    - keyboard does not drop down automatically when replied to an instant notification, it should ideally go down
    - anyway that reduces / replaces google play dependency for login and progress updates through some native app or amazon store
    - FPS needs to be updated. It's not so great and especially not consistent on all apps
    - can kitkat or lollipop ART run time be implemented in BlackBerry 10

Do you think these are quite possible?

My focus is to reduce the dependency on android and yet use it the best way.
    With the right amount of time and enough coding, yes. Who knows, maybe by 11.1 it's going to be called Cyberry...
    10-17-14 12:04 PM
    Android is in the position to make trends. They were the first to introduce flat and now they made up material designs.
    Windows Phone was the first modern smartphone OS to go flat. Android began by flattening icons like Windows Phone and now Material Designs is pretty close knockoff of Metro UI with more color. Google/Android is certainly not a leader in terms of aesthetic design.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 10-17-14 at 03:11 PM.
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-17-14 03:01 PM
    I wish that Android 5.0 (Lollipop) will not make development efforts of BlackBerry 10 Runtime for Android apps more difficult.
    This likely won't happen for another 8 months to a year at the minimum.
    10-17-14 03:07 PM
    Windows Phone was the first modern smartphone OS to go flat and material designs is an even bigger knockoff of Metro UI than before.
    I don't know what Microsoft was thinking with a separate metro tile screen lmaoo. Win8 just sucks all together. Glad I'm using Win10 now..

Still no live and/or interactive tiles on my desktop screen yet.

Now microsoft has to take a step back (like blackberry with BB10) and add all the legacy features that are needed and that people loved.
    10-17-14 03:08 PM
    Quite the contrary, Google is beginning to understand how important usability and human interfaces are. The simple architecture, the natural motions, the animated touch responses, they are there to make the system a lot more obvious and intuitive. This is a development BlackBerry is not paying as much attention to. Windows Phones design had to make many concessions to make it work, which is why it is so different yet equally criticised by usability experts.
    10-17-14 06:19 PM
    Quite the contrary, Google is beginning to understand how important usability and human interfaces are. The simple architecture, the natural motions, the animated touch responses, they are there to make the system a lot more obvious and intuitive. This is a development BlackBerry is not paying as much attention to. Windows Phones design had to make many concessions to make it work, which is why it is so different yet equally criticised by usability experts.
    I don't think you understand what I meant. I'm not talking about animated touch responses or flow or anything. With depth in design, I meant the flat icons and retro look, instead of a 3D looking design. You know the difference between 10.2 and 10.3, right? Well, Android seems to work in the opposite direction. What BlackBerry left out in 10.3, Google added in Lollipop.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 05:21 AM
    Windows Phone was first with the flat design. You could say that the direction Lollipop is heading, they have studied BlackBerry's 10.2. But BlackBerry is moving on, while Android has adopted the 10.2 style. As if they traded the design style. I'm not trying to make either OS look bad, it was just something I noticed (didn't want to discuss as it's just an observation) and was surprised no one else had.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5784895) likes this.
    10-19-14 05:26 AM
38 12