12-13-15 11:11 AM
44 12
tools
    It has been almost 2 months and there is no software update after launch of BB Priv.
    Is BB thinking to move all BB 10 OS Devices to Android ? There is low battery backup after last software update. I personally like BB 10 OS but it has poor android player to run app. I also think that with all devices goes to Android OS gives BB to become more focused on improving security and features of Android and customization of Android OS for BB devises.
    11-26-15 06:36 AM
    no. the only BB device to move to android is the Priv. There has been nothing confirmed that the Passport would get an android OS.
    11-26-15 06:43 AM
    Speculation: No BB10 device will move to Android.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-15 08:04 AM
    So why can't we have BB10 plus Google Play? I love BB10 and hear that it is somewhat compromised on the Priv
    11-26-15 08:14 AM
    So why can't we have BB10 plus Google Play? I love BB10 and hear that it is somewhat compromised on the Priv
    It's against OHA rules. There are many threads discussing this.
    11-26-15 08:17 AM
    Sorry - what are OHA rules?
    11-26-15 08:51 AM
    Two words.

No Way!!!

Posted via my Z30 (10.3.2.2639)
    11-26-15 09:02 AM
    There will be no Google services running in BlackBerry 10. And BlackBerry 10 will be maintained by BlackBerry in the future, updates will always be there for all existing BlackBerry 10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-15 09:12 AM
    There will be no Google services running in BlackBerry 10. And BlackBerry 10 will be maintained by BlackBerry in the future, updates will always be there for all existing BlackBerry 10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    So we're at a tee in the road - BB10 with limited apps, or the Priv with apps but limited BB10 functionality? I initially thought the Priv was going to be the answer, but from what I'm reading on this site it doesn't sound like it will be. I will probably keep m Z30
    11-26-15 09:24 AM
    Why did se see a Passport SE running Android 5.1?
    Fake video?

Posted via CB10
    11-26-15 09:33 AM
    Why did se see a Passport SE running Android 5.1?
    Fake video?

Posted via CB10
    That was a testing platform prior to the manufacture of the Priv. It is highly unlikely to see the light of day.
    11-26-15 09:42 AM
    This may help:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=953753
    BigAl_BB9900 and Montmartre like this.
    11-26-15 09:46 AM
    Thanks - it provides the answer (but not what I was hoping for) !!
    11-26-15 12:56 PM
    NO!! i said noooo!
    11-27-15 12:10 AM
    no. the only BB device to move to android is the Priv. There has been nothing confirmed that the Passport would get an android OS.
    The Priv did not move from BB10 to Android. It is made to run specifically for Android OS. But yeah it is a BlackBerry device anyway.

And for Bb10 devices, no they won't and don't hope! Bb10 is dead.
    11-27-15 09:19 AM
    It's against OHA rules. There are many threads discussing this.
    They are a well guarded secret. So much so that some tech bloggers even question if the OHA exists.

A few things:

1. Link is a year old.

2. Xioami's Miui is most definitely a forked version of Android but they got Play (and Hugo Barra from Google, but still, their forked version should be a violation but it is not). Even with Hugo now on board there is no info on whether or not Xioami joined the OHA. In fact, Xioami began developing their own OS around the same time they grabbed Barra. They even have their own app store.

3. ZTE offers forked versions of Android in some markets sans Play. They are an OHA member who does make Google-comliant handsets.

4. Kyocera, same as ZTE.

5. Samsung's Tizen; while it uses an open source run-time for Android apps and does not ship with Play should raise some concerns but it does not.

6. ART itself should not be in violation as long as it does not ship with Play, any other GApp, or G Services. Keep in mind that Google still considers AOSP as open source and available for anyone. GApps, Play, et al. are proprietary Google property that are separate from Android Play is not open source and is only available for compliant handsets, not necessarily compliant vendors. GMail, for example, as well as all GApps, are cross-platform.

7. Google has been quiet about "compatibility" since Andy Rubin stepped down in 2013. They have also all but magically stopped "enforcing" rules since then it seems, too. That is because it was largely Rubin who went after "non-compliant" vendors, not exactly Google. In fact, since Rubin left, Google has seemed more interested in playing nice and getting Play onto as many devices as possible.

You and I have been back and forth on this subject in the past, and I am not posting here to simply be obstinate. Just ever since the official announcement of the Priv I have been searching for any news regarding the OHA, compliance, and so on only to come up with nothing recent (since 2013 or so) that supports any of the typical claims.

Not saying that you or anyone else are wrong, exactly, only that I have been actively searching and have yet to find anything outside of standard memes that support any stance that a run time on BB10 would now be in violation of some kind of rule.
    Allanon89 and RyanGermann like this.
    11-27-15 07:28 PM
    Even if BlackBerry managed to play as fast and loose with the OHA as the Chinese OEMs are doing, what makes one think that they have the resources left to prop up BB10 in the first place, let alone add Play services to it?

Besides, going off of the "BB10 5ever" crowd here, they'd rather jump ship than touch Android cooties...
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-28-15 07:27 AM
    Impossibru

Crix
    11-28-15 02:41 PM
    Even if BlackBerry managed to play as fast and loose with the OHA as the Chinese OEMs are doing, what makes one think that they have the resources left to prop up BB10 in the first place, let alone add Play services to it?

Besides, going off of the "BB10 5ever" crowd here, they'd rather jump ship than touch Android cooties...
    They laid off all the programmers and engineers that could move BB10 forward. BB10 is a dead end in terms of future development. Chen gave up.
    11-28-15 03:00 PM
    They laid off all the programmers and engineers that could move BB10 forward. BB10 is a dead end in terms of future development. Chen gave up.
    I believe Chen was brought in to change the direction of the company in order to save it - not to rescue BB10, which BlackBerry already had deemed to be a failure before hiring him.
    11-28-15 03:18 PM
    Bb 10 rip

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-28-15 07:53 PM
    I believe Chen was brought in to change the direction of the company in order to save it - not to rescue BB10, which BlackBerry already had deemed to be a failure before hiring him.
    If that was the case, they would have stopped work on BB10 and BB10 devices before Chen showed up. That wasn't the case.
    11-29-15 05:03 PM
    If that was the case, they would have stopped work on BB10 and BB10 devices before Chen showed up. That wasn't the case.
    All they did was complete the development which was already in the pipeline. 10.3.X was already live by March of 2014, only a few months after Chen came in. And they needed this OS to support the upcoming Passport and Classic. As I indicated, BlackBerry needed to show they were still in the game.
    11-29-15 08:53 PM
    All they did was complete the development which was already in the pipeline. 10.3.X was already live by March of 2014, only a few months after Chen came in. And they needed this OS to support the upcoming Passport and Classic. As I indicated, BlackBerry needed to show they were still in the game.
    Using your thought of saving the company, that would have been a waste of time to spend any money or time on BB10.
    11-29-15 09:39 PM
    Using your thought of saving the company, that would have been a waste of time to spend any money or time on BB10.
    Not when the other products weren't ready yet. They had to appear to be a going concern. And much of the that development money was already spent.
    11-29-15 09:56 PM
44 12