How exactly does the phone save battery when you place it down?
    How is it any different than when the screen is normally switched off?

Posted via CB10 from my Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.442
    05-14-14 10:36 AM
    I don't think it works yet. I'm wondering if it might underclock the processors to use less power. People have reported the os gets unstable and laggy when the battery is low and I was wondering if maybe they are testing something.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 10:52 AM
    Those features work on my Z30 with both the dev OS and 10.3.0.296. When I place my phone on a flat surface, the display goes off. When I also place the screen on a surface, the display goes off. When I pick the phone up, the display comes back on. Though I still prefer pressing the power button to turn the display off. I think they implemented those features just in case one forgets to turn the display off or can't be bothered to do so, in order to save battery.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z30
    homer1475 likes this.
    05-14-14 12:20 PM
    Although the laying down a flat surface option doesn't seem to be working on my Z10(does a normal screen timeout, and doesn't wake up when picked up), the option to save battery when placed on the screen does, and I like that it wakes up when i pick it up rather then having to swipe. Saves a bit of time, and the device is ready to go when picked up.

Turning off the screen instantly when laying it down, will surely save some battery power, as opposed to waiting for a set timeout. I honestly can't see where this is any different then pressing the lock button to turn the screen off, but I'm guessing most people just wait for the screen to timeout on its own.
    05-14-14 05:41 PM
    Feature works but I think it's just like locking your phone though.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 06:57 PM
    There's definitely more to it then just turning off your screen, haha
    05-14-14 07:05 PM
    Probably does the same thing as the magnet
    05-14-14 07:27 PM
    Probably does the same thing as the magnet
    Holster turned the screen off and set a custom notification profile. I have a hunch that this is gonna be more
    Last edited by SlcCorrado; 05-15-14 at 10:03 AM.
    05-14-14 09:07 PM
    I wish the screen would turn off when you put it down face up. I never put my phone face down, how else would I see my red light?

Posted via CB10
    anon(5818411) and Levi_Asaiah like this.
    05-14-14 09:24 PM
    All it does is turn off the screen. The point if it is like if your busy you reply to a message and set your phone down than once you get another message just pick it up and it's unlocked. Rather than swiping or unlocking the device. I used it at work today and it was nice just pic up and put down not button pressing or swiping to turn on or off.

Posted via CB10
    drasek73 likes this.
    05-14-14 09:30 PM
    I tried it and it did work. One caveat, when placing the phone down there were no audible notifications. I tested by calling my device twice and it did not ring. Not sure if this is a universal problem or just me, but I need it to ring. Or make a setting like bedside mode to allow calls etc....

Posted via CrackBerry app
    05-14-14 09:41 PM
    So it does it in two ways, laying facing up and laying facing down. The up way will just turn off the screen, the down way will put the notification to silent. Is this correct?

BBQ10
    05-14-14 10:02 PM
    All it does is turn off the screen. The point if it is like if your busy you reply to a message and set your phone down than once you get another message just pick it up and it's unlocked. Rather than swiping or unlocking the device. I used it at work today and it was nice just pic up and put down not button pressing or swiping to turn on or off.

Posted via CB10
    I tried it but it feels so awkward putting you phone down face down haha.
    05-14-14 10:09 PM
    So it does it in two ways, laying facing up and laying facing down. The up way will just turn off the screen, the down way will put the notification to silent. Is this correct?

BBQ10
    It did not do anything for me face up, i.e
    , it did not turn off the screen.

Posted via CrackBerry app
    05-14-14 10:27 PM
    It must work like all BlackBerry phones have in the past and the present when placed in a holster. It puts the phone is a half-asleep sort of mode where it hardly touches the CPU and whatnot which helps save batteries.

I'm not home right now so I can't link you guys to it, but I suggest hitting up Google and reading up on older BlackBerrys and how they'd save power when holstered. It'll give you guys a better idea than I'm capable of explaining.
    05-14-14 10:36 PM
    Really interesting replies... I'm now leaning more towards the holster theory.. but having the phone not ring and you can't see the red led.. I don't think that will be its final form.. I hope that when ever I'm not using the phone it would just underclock to 100 mhz and shut the second core or something...

Posted via CB10 from my Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.442
    05-15-14 12:52 AM
    Both features work for me.
    Advanced interactions question.-img_20140514_230139.png

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 01:01 AM
    I wish the screen would turn off when you put it down face up. I never put my phone face down, how else would I see my red light?

Posted via CB10
    Put phone face down on piece of glass suspended from ceiling, lay down under it?...you brought up a good point, I'm just being a wise a**...lol

Trusted Member Genius
    LostOnThePianoRoll likes this.
    05-15-14 03:15 AM
    Since I don't find it awkward to flip my phone to put it down and I like to see the LED. I've tried using it but I have to think about flipping my phone first and I baby it as it goes down face first.

This is not practical for the ordinary user!!!

My feature request is a bit more practical and you don't have to think about putting your phone face down.

Close to Samsung Air Glance feature. Instead of doing a dumb wave, when you go to pick up your phone your lock screen or where ever you left off on your phone(toggle) turns on.

Then using the proximity sensor the phone detects you put it down and turns off screen. The only acception is if there is a video playing on youtube, video player or somewhere else.

For holsters/magnetic flip cases, do this same thing except for use the Magnetic Sensor instead of Proximity.

Now that would be sweet.

If you guys agree show your support on Beta Zone they need to go about Advanced Interaction better and don't forget to like it on Beta Zone.
    https://beta.webapps.blackberry.com/threads/view/22611

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by khehl; 05-15-14 at 09:52 AM.
    05-15-14 09:07 AM