Im hoping more customisability from bb10 active frames in future OS releases. I think the widgets function on androids is a great feature and with a little more work active frames could function quite similarly.

Anyone else feel the same?

Z30, Q10, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    01-06-14 05:08 AM
    I appreciate the simplicity and uniformity of BBs approach.

I found Android's widgets to be confusing and inconsistently applied. My OCD didn't like it one bit.

I agree, however, that BlackBerry need to expand the customizability and functionality of the Active Frames, especially on the Z30 which has so much space for the 4 frames.

Posted via CB10
    ryanza likes this.
    01-06-14 05:16 AM
    Yep. Widgets would be great. Active Frames is nice but needs to be more useful and active.

CB10 via Verizon Z10. 10.2.1.1925
    01-06-14 06:31 AM
    Sailfish OS, seems to have similar implementation than BlackBerry 10 active frames, but they are interactive.

Perhaps BlackBerry could expand the concept into the active frames.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 06:43 AM
    I made a thread about something similar to your idea a few months back..

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=829387

I really wish they do it... add buttons to the frames to make them more useful..

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    01-06-14 07:21 AM
    I would like to see something that's sort of a hybrid of the old BBOS home screen (from OS 6 and 7 with the app grid rolled down to just the four icons at the bottom, or all the way off to just the up arrow), android's widgets and the current lock screen.

I see something that is more like a functioning version of the lock screen, just not locked and interactive. Here, a place can be made for apps to work, like the current weather (like what BeWeather used to be able to do), stock ticker (for those that care), news headline feeds, the old calendar "today" list, whatever. The notification icons as they come in stay there, and work as they do now on the lock screen and are still interactive. You could still tap them and the previews just overlay what's already on the screen, then revert to just the notification icons when you're done.

This could be a screen between the Hub and the active frames screen. But one that stays on for as long as your screen timeout is set for - instead of the quick timeout you get on the lock screen (which ignores that timeout setting and fades to black within a few seconds).

Of course, this would only work with headless apps.

I would personally prefer something like this as a home screen than the active frames screen, because I usually have nothing up anyway and only see the app grid when I unlock my screen.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 10:13 AM
    Until Active Frames can be pinned so they are always the same and auto-run on boot, I think they are only half implemented

Good idea in theory, not fully implemented
    01-06-14 02:23 PM
    I appreciate the simplicity and uniformity of BBs approach.

I found Android's widgets to be confusing and inconsistently applied. My OCD didn't like it one bit.

I agree, however, that BlackBerry need to expand the customizability and functionality of the Active Frames, especially on the Z30 which has so much space for the 4 frames.

Posted via CB10
    I agree mostly.

I'm busy using a Samsung galaxy S3 Mini at the moment. I miss my Z10 so bad! BB10 is so clean and everything is neatly compartmentalised where Android is an exploded mess.

As soon as I can afford and can find a Z30 I will be back on BB10. I enjoyed my Q5 but BlackBerry have got the touchscreen experience just right for me.
    01-06-14 02:34 PM
    Active frames are a lazy way of doing widgets IMO. They need to be interactive and pinnable. much more useful then IMO
    01-06-14 02:36 PM