03-15-14 09:31 PM
160 ... 4567
tools
    Unfortunately once I ventured back out and the phone hopped between towers around town, the battery is back to its usual 18 hour drain, and the phone is always running warm.

That would certainly dovetail with tickerguy's guess that the issue is tower-specific.

Of course we all know that battery life will always suffer when the signal is weak or flaky. But this issue (appears) to happen even when the signal is strong, but only with certain towers.

Maybe it's a cell-site overlap thing. Possibly having trouble with capture ratio or ability to settle on which tower to connect to.

This is often an issue in a densely populated area where you are in a high-rise building. In that scenario you often have "visibility" of many different towers, and a cellular device often has trouble picking which one to communicate with.
    02-25-14 03:27 PM
    As I understand it, yes, at least with Verizon. I don't know about Sprint or the tiny number of other remaining CDMA carriers.
    I haven't updated the PRL since I started using BB10, I'm with Verizon.

That would certainly dovetail with tickerguy's guess that the issue is tower-specific.

Of course we all know that battery life will always suffer when the signal is weak or flaky. But this issue (appears) to happen even when the signal is strong, but only with certain towers.

Maybe it's a cell-site overlap thing. Possibly having trouble with capture ratio or ability to settle on which tower to connect to.

This is often an issue in a densely populated area where you are in a high-rise building. In that scenario you often have "visibility" of many different towers, and a cellular device often has trouble picking which one to communicate with.
    One thing I've been doing for years, as a Verizon customer, is to switch the network technology to CDMA, and now with BB10 it's LTE/CDMA. It has a slight positive effect on battery drain, slows it somewhat.

Settings -> Network and Connections -> Mobile Network.

2141 battery life-img_20140225_174209.png

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Reubechs; 02-26-14 at 05:45 AM.
    02-25-14 06:44 PM
    "LTE battery drain issue" has been added to my 10.2.1.2141 changelog post.
    02-26-14 02:54 AM
    okay I guess I will share my experience thus far going from 1925/1899 radio to 2141/2142 radio then 1899 radio.
    1. 2141/2142 gave me a constant battery drain of 270mA the 3rd morning after being charged overnight. I was on my 3rd day with the Update and was not pleased with radio performance, which had been reduced. Wifi was okay, but not cellular.
    2. Installed 1899 radio and soft bricked phone. reinstalled os with autoloader, then installed 1899 radio. radio performance then became normal or at least what works well with att.
    3. here is the BUG: I am seeing a constant battery drain after fully charging the battery and removing the charger. it starts immediately. this is intermittent, repeatable after it starts, especially if I have been reading a lot of Internet information. when doing that I try to always put on the charger.
    4. turn off cellular radio and battery drain returns to normal idle of 10 mA within 7 minutes.
    5. turn cellular radio back on and high battery drain returns.
    6. normal reboot of device and still have drain issue.
    7. turn off device then back on after 10 minutes and issue is cleared.

I am very unhappy about this issue and recognize that nobody here can resolve. I have experienced this issue for many of the os installs and it has been carried forward for a long time. does anyone associated with CB know how to get BlackBerry to acknowledge this BUG?
    thanks

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Hi Observer2. I have been experiencing this same issue on my z30 ever since i started loading the 10.2.1 leak. My battery drain just got worse with every os leak install and my battery could get so hot even to 43 degrees C. As a result i decided to start some observations using the device monitor on the phone and kept checking each time the battery started to get hot. At last, i found the culprit. It was the data; let me explain. When it gets hot and i turn data services off, the temperature starts reducing to about 31 degrees C. It can maintain that temp up until i turn data back on then it starts to increase again. So i got real fed up and decided to risk loading the .1926 radio which i remember had very good reception (compared to poor radio performance on .2142 radio) even in bad cellular frequency areas (I live in Ghana and my carrier is Vodafone).

The Verdict: Its Wednesday here today and my battery hasn't dared to go anywhere near even a 36 degrees C since the radio change to .1926. My z30 gets very good reception in almost all areas and fon is usually at normal temp. Plus my excessive battery drain which even got worse with the OS 10.2.1.2141 / radio .2142 has finally vanished. Now I get at least 15 to 30 hours of light to heavy use with my z30 and I am quite a happy leak installer. You may wanna try my suggestion and see if it helps; though i dont think you should use too low a radio version compared to the installed OS. CHeers!
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-26-14 04:55 AM
    New version of bbm seems to be eating away at my battery unlike before.
    2141 battery life-img_20140226_080620.png

Posted via CB10 running on Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    02-26-14 07:07 AM
    Hello gimjay. I appreciate your input. Here in the USA, it is my opinion the 1899 radio is best for those using AT&T for their carrier. sounds like 1926 may be best for where you are located. could also be related to the type of radio antena being used too, but I have no data on that. There appears to be more than one failure mode for causing the high battery drain, which I have monitored to be 240mA to 270mA for idle current. The common element though is the radio. Your LTE service is data only (at least here in USA). If you are not using wifi, turning off data services causes the same thing as turning off the cellular service. A decent tool (app) for testing your cellular and wifi performance is called Speed Tester, Again, thanks for your message and hopefully, in time, the intermittent radio bug will get resolved by Blackberry.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-26-14 09:34 AM
    Hello gimjay. I appreciate your input. Here in the USA, it is my opinion the 1899 radio is best for those using AT&T for their carrier. sounds like 1926 may be best for where you are located. could also be related to the type of radio antena being used too, but I have no data on that. There appears to be more than one failure mode for causing the high battery drain, which I have monitored to be 240mA to 270mA for idle current. The common element though is the radio. Your LTE service is data only (at least here in USA). If you are not using wifi, turning off data services causes the same thing as turning off the cellular service. A decent tool (app) for testing your cellular and wifi performance is called Speed Tester, Again, thanks for your message and hopefully, in time, the intermittent radio bug will get resolved by Blackberry.

You welcome my BlackBerry Brother; and yes it seems 1926 is better for me in my location though LTE service is actually non-existent here even though my z30 STA100-2 supports that band. I blv you could also try other Radio / OS combinations however...just to test if it will have a positive effect on your battery. Also for us here in Ghana, turning off data services will not turn off cellular services; they seem to be seperate unless i intentionally and manually turn off the 'Mobile Network' option which will definitely deny me both data and voice services. Meanwhile, its my prayer that the bug will surely be resolved by BlackBerry so you, myself and all others suffering from it will be redeemed and finally free...to fully enjoy our Super BBs. God Bless you!
    HarryDragon and Mecca EL like this.
    02-26-14 11:53 AM
    Aha, an AT&T customer. Now it all makes sense. Come over to Verizon, we have cookies. And a better signal. And the ability to shut off data and cellular independently.

2141 battery life-img_20140226_153412.png

Posted via CB10
    Foppa_21 likes this.
    02-26-14 04:37 PM
    Aha, an AT&T customer. Now it all makes sense. Come over to Verizon, we have cookies. And a better signal. And the ability to shut off data and cellular independently.

And an inability to disable just LTE (which works around the problem being discussed here recently without disabling data entirely)

And devices that are crippled everywhere else.
    02-26-14 09:53 PM
    And an inability to disable just LTE (which works around the problem being discussed here recently without disabling data entirely)

And devices that are crippled everywhere else.
    On the LTE front, that's actually all I get on the cellular side of things. If it drops down to even 3G, nothing connects.

What's this crippled devices you speak of? Wife dosed me up with cold/flu crap and now I'm experiencing misfiring synapses.
    02-26-14 10:05 PM
    On the LTE front, that's actually all I get on the cellular side of things. If it drops down to even 3G, nothing connects.

Well something is wrong somewhere - VZW's 3G network is the most ubiquitous mobile signal in the USA.

What's this crippled devices you speak of? Wife dosed me up with cold/flu crap and now I'm experiencing misfiring synapses.

Verizon hardware is almost entirely unique and typically handicapped in terms of its ability to be used on anyone else's network other than VZWs.

The VZW devices that claim compatibility with GSM networks typically are severely handicapped in terms of support for 3G and 4G data, in particular.

In general the number of carriers still operating CDMA networks is just a handful now and shrinking. This could be a key reason why Sprint hasn't been carrying many BB10 devices - it's bad enough making a unique device solely for Verizon - I'm not sure it's practical to do the same for Sprint. Because while they both use CDMA, they do this on different frequencies. Same with LTE. And Sprint probably wants to build support in for their original WiMax network too. Last but not least, I doubt VZW wants to make it easy for customers to take that device and switch to Sprint, and Sprint is small potatos compared to VZW. So in a nutshell, Sprint gets the short end of the stick here.
    02-27-14 03:59 AM
    Well something is wrong somewhere - VZW's 3G network is the most ubiquitous mobile signal in the USA.
    I've gotten used to it, it's been like that since the day I bought it with 10.0.9. When it drops to 3G it acts like there's no network available at all; conversely if it's on 1x it will make a connection, whether it then works or not is hit or miss.

Verizon hardware is almost entirely unique and typically handicapped in terms of its ability to be used on anyone else's network other than VZWs.

The VZW devices that claim compatibility with GSM networks typically are severely handicapped in terms of support for 3G and 4G data, in particular.

In general the number of carriers still operating CDMA networks is just a handful now and shrinking. This could be a key reason why Sprint hasn't been carrying many BB10 devices - it's bad enough making a unique device solely for Verizon - I'm not sure it's practical to do the same for Sprint. Because while they both use CDMA, they do this on different frequencies. Same with LTE. And Sprint probably wants to build support in for their original WiMax network too. Last but not least, I doubt VZW wants to make it easy for customers to take that device and switch to Sprint, and Sprint is small potatos compared to VZW. So in a nutshell, Sprint gets the short end of the stick here.
    That's what I thought you were driving at, although the thought there were options missing crossed my mind.

Although it's been many years since I was a Sprint customer, I'm pretty sure I can still say it makes perfect sense to me they're small potatoes compared to Verizon; and getting the short end of the stick is something they did to themselves. In recent years I believe they've carried a number of the same models, excepting the unique ones of course. My assessment of the unique device practice is simply that Verizon can afford it, Sprint can't or won't. If true, it's possible that they're spending more on infrastructure upgrades to catch Verizon and AT&T - they're a bit behind in speeds and deployment if memory serves.

I've had the thought a couple times now that someone should (I'm not doing it) create a poll that compares where people live with how long their devices go on a single charge, example being that I live in a fairly flat area where the buildings are pretty much flat themselves once you get away from downtown, meaning dense coverage with very little signal obstruction, battery life has been great with each device I've owned. However I don't see this as a feasible poll since there's so much more affecting the outcome than the signal strength and location by themselves, no matter how much that factors into the equation.
    02-27-14 06:00 AM
    You welcome my BlackBerry Brother; and yes it seems 1926 is better for me in my location though LTE service is actually non-existent here even though my z30 STA100-2 supports that band. I blv you could also try other Radio / OS combinations however...just to test if it will have a positive effect on your battery. Also for us here in Ghana, turning off data services will not turn off cellular services; they seem to be seperate unless i intentionally and manually turn off the 'Mobile Network' option which will definitely deny me both data and voice services. Meanwhile, its my prayer that the bug will surely be resolved by BlackBerry so you, myself and all others suffering from it will be redeemed and finally free...to fully enjoy our Super BBs. God Bless you!
    gimjay, yes the issue is involves data via the cellular radio. some trigger the issue as their device traverses between towers. Another trigger I've observed is to have the device charger attached while doing a lot of Internet related reading. when I am doing this in excess of about an hour or more, then when I close the browser and remove the charger, my device is usually at 100% battery and the high battery drain commences. as previously stated the cellular data radio is the common denominator.
    your feedback is appreciated and I believe that BlackBerry will be able to get this resolved. bb10 has evolved nicely and quickly and is an excellent user experience and will continue to excite the bb nation. thanks again.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-27-14 06:08 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140226_153412.png 
Views:	508 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	251150

Posted via CB10
    that's so funny. I do like good cookies and will have to give your offer consideration when the end of my contract with att approaches. btw,i too can turn off data only, but typically use the quick screen interface to disable the cellular radio which turns both data and voice off. keep the BlackBerry faith. good things are happening and coming.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    02-27-14 06:18 AM
    There is no such thing as software settling. Firmware is firmware, it works the same every time. Initial battery drains are large due to syncing accounts, adding programs, lots of time with the LCD on. Battery life is initially perceived as shorter due to the high processing taking place as you sync/customize.

1925 and this version for me (heavy user/road warrior) I get 4 to 5 hours. Not great at all, in my humble opinion these latest releases have chewed the battery.

There are a number of threads in the leaked/beta forums discussing battery fixes. There are options to load earlier radio versions which some say helps tremendously. Read through those threads though as some folks had soft bricks not being able to downgrade the official radio files of 1925 especially on Verizon. Not sure what happens when you try it on this release.
    I disagree. However I do agree with the process of battery tip savers, but the initial loading of a OS can be a bit overwhelming to any system. Stabilization of unknown system data takes time to mobilize. Hence settling of the software. I guess you can call this time as the phone being reintroduced to its owner.

Z10 STL100-3 >>>>>>>>Leaks 1055, 1259, 1925
    02-27-14 06:48 AM
    I'm getting a good 10-12 hours and I do use my phone a lot running 2141

I have today turned my brightness from 50% down to 0%

Just taken my phone off charge.

Will report my findings on here tonight!

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 09:45 AM
    Is this normal? I'm on 2141 on a Z10. Installed the leak on 2/16 but haven't used it much. I usually just use my Q10 but decided to switch devices for a few days. I have barely used my device today and I am down to 79%?

2141 battery life-img_20140227_111126.png
    02-27-14 11:17 AM
    Is this normal? I'm on 2141 on a Z10. Installed the leak on 2/16 but haven't used it much. I usually just use my Q10 but decided to switch devices for a few days. I have barely used my device today and I am down to 79%?

Name:	IMG_20140227_111126.png 
Views:	1686 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	251327
    About 4% per hour is probably normal. Not outstanding given that you have light usage, but not terrible either. 4% per hour discharge gets you 25 hours of use, easily a full day.
    02-27-14 12:52 PM
    About 4% per hour is probably normal. Not outstanding given that you have light usage, but not terrible either. 4% per hour discharge gets you 25 hours of use, easily a full day.
    Thank you for this information. Coming from a Q I felt that this was discharging way too quickly for the small amount of usage. I'm happy to know that is normal.
    02-27-14 01:46 PM
    Thank you for this information. Coming from a Q I felt that this was discharging way too quickly for the small amount of usage. I'm happy to know that is normal.
    Z10 screen definitely pulls more power than Q. Here's mine for 5 hours this morning. A little more use (higher display percentage), but similar discharge rate.

2141 battery life-img_20140227_114827.png

Posted from my Z10 via CB10
    02-27-14 01:51 PM
    Z10 screen definitely pulls more power than Q. Here's mine for 5 hours this morning. A little more use (higher display percentage), but similar discharge rate.

Name:	IMG_20140227_114827.png 
Views:	1360 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	251345

Posted from my Z10 via CB10
    Curious...How come we seem to have about the same discharge rate and the same percentage left but mine says 15 hours of battery while yours says 2 days 4 hours?
    02-27-14 01:55 PM
    Curious...How come we seem to have about the same discharge rate and the same percentage left but mine says 15 hours of battery while yours says 2 days 4 hours?
    I'm not exactly sure, but I'm guessing it has to do with the last hour of usage. Yours was going down, mine was flat. The projection is probably based on continuing the discharge rate over the most recent hour.
    02-27-14 02:25 PM
    I'm not exactly sure, but I'm guessing it has to do with the last hour of usage. Yours was going down, mine was flat. The projection is probably based on continuing the discharge rate over the most recent hour.
    Gotcha. I'm hoping through usage over the next few days I can get more out of the battery since it was just sitting. Perhaps that will help the OS "settle" since it really hasn't had the chance since I updated it.
    02-27-14 03:02 PM

Name:	IMG_20140227_111126.png 
Views:	1686 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	251327
    I wouldn't complain with that lol

That looks good

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 03:14 PM
    Actually, I have been using leaks for a long time and have become comfortable using CB provided tools for support of the device. I have been experiancing the intermittent battery drain issue for quite some time. As I recall it may have started around the time I went from 10.0.x.x to 10.1.x.x and beyond. also, as I cannot force the drain to happen, I never know when it will start. when the device is running normal. its idle current is typically 10mA. Enjoy that Z30... a most awesomme device!
    02-27-14 03:55 PM
160 ... 4567