03-15-14 09:31 PM
160 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Sorry I said he was lazy, but either way he's slow with updates.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2141, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    As are several devs I know...

I've BBM'd and emailed him with screenshots.
    02-22-14 05:39 PM
    okay I guess I will share my experience thus far going from 1925/1899 radio to 2141/2142 radio then 1899 radio.
    1. 2141/2142 gave me a constant battery drain of 270mA the 3rd morning after being charged overnight. I was on my 3rd day with the Update and was not pleased with radio performance, which had been reduced. Wifi was okay, but not cellular.
    2. Installed 1899 radio and soft bricked phone. reinstalled os with autoloader, then installed 1899 radio. radio performance then became normal or at least what works well with att.
    3. here is the BUG: I am seeing a constant battery drain after fully charging the battery and removing the charger. it starts immediately. this is intermittent, repeatable after it starts, especially if I have been reading a lot of Internet information. when doing that I try to always put on the charger.
    4. turn off cellular radio and battery drain returns to normal idle of 10 mA within 7 minutes.
    5. turn cellular radio back on and high battery drain returns.
    6. normal reboot of device and still have drain issue.
    7. turn off device then back on after 10 minutes and issue is cleared.

I am very unhappy about this issue and recognize that nobody here can resolve. I have experienced this issue for many of the os installs and it has been carried forward for a long time. does anyone associated with CB know how to get BlackBerry to acknowledge this BUG?
    thanks

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    02-22-14 06:23 PM
    Could it be wifi + BlackBerry Link?

I've noticed that when I'm on wifi and I turn on BlackBerry Link, the battery drains quite fast.

It's important to remember to turn off BlackBerry Link when you are finished with the program.

Basa app tells me that I'm burning 1% every 6 mins. So 10% every hour, while on idle! So when not idle is goes even faster!

Hope this helps!

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 09:13 PM
    Wifi has no influence.
    BlackBerry Link is off until needed.
    I am glad you do not experience battery drain issues.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    02-22-14 10:24 PM
    okay I guess I will share my experience thus far going from 1925/1899 radio to 2141/2142 radio then 1899 radio.
    1. 2141/2142 gave me a constant battery drain of 270mA the 3rd morning after being charged overnight. I was on my 3rd day with the Update and was not pleased with radio performance, which had been reduced. Wifi was okay, but not cellular.
    2. Installed 1899 radio and soft bricked phone. reinstalled os with autoloader, then installed 1899 radio. radio performance then became normal or at least what works well with att.
    3. here is the BUG: I am seeing a constant battery drain after fully charging the battery and removing the charger. it starts immediately. this is intermittent, repeatable after it starts, especially if I have been reading a lot of Internet information. when doing that I try to always put on the charger.
    4. turn off cellular radio and battery drain returns to normal idle of 10 mA within 7 minutes.
    5. turn cellular radio back on and high battery drain returns.
    6. normal reboot of device and still have drain issue.
    7. turn off device then back on after 10 minutes and issue is cleared.

I am very unhappy about this issue and recognize that nobody here can resolve. I have experienced this issue for many of the os installs and it has been carried forward for a long time. does anyone associated with CB know how to get BlackBerry to acknowledge this BUG?
    thanks

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141

Despite those details, it may or may not be a bug.

It could be because of the signal conditions where you are, for example. Have you tried turning off LTE?

And remember that AT&T has not tested or approved this OS version, so there could be something about the radio code that doesn't interoperate well with AT&T's network.

If you are running software releases not approved by your carrier, I recommend not being so quick to cast blame and assume "bugs" when it is not an officially-supported configuration anyway.
    02-22-14 10:26 PM
    I work with an engineer who got his z10 couple weeks before I got mine. Since March of last year. we are the only two who have them in our workplace. att is my carrier. T-Mobile is his carrier. he too experiences the same battery drain issue. we talk BlackBerry almost every work day. I don't believe it to be carrier dependent.

review of CB forum history will show fast battery drain issues reporting this radio problem and also wifi radio related. my experience is that when it happens I have both cellular and will on. Turning wifi off has no influence. only cellular radio being turned off returns the device to idle mode.

I appreciate what you have said. you have some reasonable thoughts, they do not match so many other reportings in numerous threads across many forums. it's about seeing the pattern, and personally dealing with it. I just want it recognized and resolved by BlackBerry, as I also want them to succeed as much as any fan and BlackBerry advocate.

thanks

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Last edited by Observer2; 02-22-14 at 11:50 PM.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-22-14 11:24 PM
    Has anyone noticed Battery Guru reports "time remaining" incorrectly?

Attachment 250084

Attachment 250085
    Battery guru reports time remaining based off the amount of power being drawn at that time, directly reporting when it expects the battery to be empty according to the consumption rate. It doesn't average or use a trend measurement. If your wattage decreases, your time remaining increases.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 11:55 PM
    review of CB forum history will show fast battery drain issues reporting this radio problem and also wifi radio related. my experience is that when it happens I have both cellular and will on. Turning wifi off has no influence. only cellular radio being turned off returns the device to idle mode.

I appreciate what you have said. you have some reasonable thoughts, they do not match so many other reportings in numerous threads across many forums.

If you would take a look at the page linked in my forum posting signature (viewable if you are reading via web browser, not if you are using the CB app), you would see that it is actually myself who is compiling data on everyone's experience with the latest OS build. And I'm sorry to say, the available evidence suggests that MOST people are getting BETTER battery life in the latest OS build compared to 10.2.1.1925.

That does not discount the possibility or fact that some people are having different experiences, but battery life in a smartphone is a very complex matter that is impacted by a vast number of ever-changing variables.

Anyone who proclaims something "universally this" or "universally that" in terms of battery life is straining credibility.

But the general trend of comments I have witnessed here on Crackberry, is that 10.2.1.2141 is giving people a bit better battery-life results so far than 10.2.1.1925 did. On average.

If you have other data points to offer (ie links to well-supported contrary observations) I'd love to see them. That is, after all, what my objective is in compiling that list.
    02-23-14 12:38 AM
    After 4 days I deleted my gmail account, hard reset, added same account.

2141 battery life-img_20140223_114659.png

Posted from Z10 with 10.2.1.1925 leak. Pwnage apparatus!
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-23-14 06:51 AM
    okay sir. let me be more clear. I am not here to debate with you. my battery life with 2141 is actually quite good compared with other released OSs (leaked or official). that is until the BUG is triggered. it appears to be associated with the cellular and wifi radios. I have read numerous reported instances of very heavy battery drain and what those affected users have gone through. I have had the experience too many times myself. I believe that for many, if not most of those 'strange' battery drain events that the event is radio related. I cannot describe the actual code issue because I don't have the actual code details. regardless, the pattern has appeared since the beginning of the 10.1.x.x days, as I recall. if you have a way of reaching BlackBerry technical or engineering or can suggest someone who does, that information would be beneficial. if you don't, then I will have to seek another way to make them aware of the BUG. I am choosing to believe that BlackBerry would not allow the BUG to continue, if they know of its existence and severity. if I don't get the information from CB soon, I will probably try calling them and try that route.

as you are gathering information on battery related issues, then you have had opportunity to see the scope of this issue and the pattern as being mostly unexplained or not directly observed. I expected it to be dealt with many months ago, but it still is present. imho the time for obtaining more empirical data has passed. the pattern is real and must be corrected.

I have not yet looked hard at their website to check if they offer a way to report issues of this type. do you know?
    thanks

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Last edited by Observer2; 02-23-14 at 08:33 AM.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-23-14 08:00 AM
    Battery guru reports time remaining based off the amount of power being drawn at that time, directly reporting when it expects the battery to be empty according to the consumption rate. It doesn't average or use a trend measurement. If your wattage decreases, your time remaining increases.

Posted via CB10
    I understand that. What I don't get is how Battery Guru can be so far off Device Monitor...

I've used BASA too and that's in line with DM.
    Last edited by CJH_; 02-23-14 at 01:09 PM.
    02-23-14 12:09 PM
    How to you set push vs pull?

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 12:47 PM
    Ive given up on battery guru. The developer is really lazy. Using BaSa now.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2141, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    Battery Guru and BaSA report the same "vital statistics" - I have both and the two apps report basically the same battery life remaining.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 12:51 PM
    I understand that. What I don't get is how Battery Guru can be so far off Device Monitor...

I already answered this, are you specifically not reading my responses?

Battery Guru shows only the most recently measured 2-minute average battery usage.

Device Monitor (the way you had it set) is basing battery life based on average usage over many hours.

Battery usage varies.

If the last 2-minute period is not TYPICAL of the usage you are going to subject the device to until the battery dies, then the battery life estimate from Battery Guru will not be accurate.

Whereas with Device Monitor, since it is using a longterm average, it is more likely to be estimating more accurately but that depends on how you use the device from that point forward.

If you had had the device sitting on the desk idle for the last 12 hours, had Device Monitor set to show you stats for the last 12 hours, it would probably say your battery would last for 2 more days. And if you left the device on the desk idle for 2 more days, it probably would. But if instead you picked up the device and started playing Minion Rush for the next 3 hours, it would NOT be an accurate estimate any more.
    dezzilak likes this.
    02-23-14 12:58 PM
    How to you set push vs pull?

Posted via CB10

Turn off push in account settings and set the sync period to either "manual" or some long timeframe.
    02-23-14 12:59 PM
    if you have a way of reaching BlackBerry technical or engineering or can suggest someone who does, that information would be beneficial. if you don't, then I will have to seek another way to make them aware of the BUG. I am choosing to believe that BlackBerry would not allow the BUG to continue, if they know of its existence and severity. if I don't get the information from CB soon, I will probably try calling them and try that route. [...]

I have not yet looked hard at their website to check if they offer a way to report issues of this type. do you know?
    thanks

BlackBerry does not generally take support inquiries direct from customers, though this varies by region.

In the USA, you have to go through your carrier first to report problems. If the carrier cannot address or solve the issue to your satisfaction, they are supposed to get Blackberry involved. This relates to the sales relationship that Blackberry has with carriers - carriers are reselling the devices and making profit on them therefore they are expected to provide front-line support.

I have taken those steps myself in the case of serious technical issues and Blackberry WILL get involved if you have solid evidence of a problem.
    02-23-14 01:02 PM
    yes. I have been this route before. in all honesty I did not want to involve att and be providing them more reason to maintain their dismal attitude towards BlackBerry the company.

can you tell me how CB conveys with BlackBerry? if the channel of communication is available, that would be the best way to let them know.
    thanks

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    02-23-14 01:15 PM
    yes. I have been this route before. in all honesty I did not want to involve att and be providing them more reason to maintain their dismal attitude towards BlackBerry the company.

I don't think I agree that it helps maintain AT&T's "dismal attitude" but whatever.

can you tell me how CB conveys with BlackBerry? if the channel of communication is available, that would be the best way to let them know.
    thanks

There is no formal relationship that I know of and certainly not something that every single CB user gets to take advantage of whenever they have a complaint. CB is not an official company complaint center.

Why don't you try this number and see where it takes you - assuming you are in the USA: 877-255-2377.
    02-23-14 01:32 PM
    okay. I already have that number. I have to wonder what your motivation is with your data gathering. i'd hope it would be mainly for feedback to BlackBerry engineering. however, you appear to be somewhat subjective in selecting what you deem pertinent to document. please consider being truly objective. I am reporting a serious battery drain bug and you have apparently decided it is not a valid reporting. if you did think it valid, you would be doing something within CB to help it get resolved,rather than debating with me, a messenger. I have had many years of prior firmware debug experience using whitebox methods, where you attempt to exercise every line, including all exceptions. BlackBerry development really needs to know about this issue. they obviously have good firmware engineers and deserve to know their baby has a long standing intermittent battery drain bug associated with the cellular radio.

I reside in OKC

I am done here. thanks

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Last edited by Observer2; 02-23-14 at 04:51 PM.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-23-14 01:45 PM
    I have to wonder what your motivation is with your data gathering. i'd hope it would be mainly for feedback to BlackBerry engineering. however, you appear to be somewhat subjective in selecting what you deem pertinent to document. please consider being truly objective. I am reporting a serious battery drain bug and you have apparently decided it is not a valid reporting.

And you are demonstrating what appears to be a real pox in the online world these days - assuming bias or malice on the part of anyone who disagrees with you.

What I include in my survey are reports that seem credible and not counter to the general stream of commentary about the OS. If I see 10 comments that the battery life is better, and 1 comment that the battery life is worse, I will include the comments about battery life being better, until such time that the other ones come up with enough background and support for their contention that it makes sense to include it.

IF you were able to demonstrate some sort of concrete conditions under which the battery life suffers and this is repeatable, then I would consider adding your comment to the list. But you have not.

if you did think it valid, you would be doing something within CB to help it get resolved,rather than debating with me, a messenger.

My motivation is to help the community here by addressing a very thorny problem: massive confusion and misinformation after an OS build is released without documentation and people keep asking the same questions over and over and over and over and over and over and over, wasting everyone's time and ending up with people having bad information.

Honestly, it's offensive to me that you think that not only is that not enough, but that I am somehow despicable because I am not personally carrying your personal torch directly to the company or something.
    bintaro_gw likes this.
    02-23-14 03:07 PM
    I noticed with this leak the battery drains a lot on 4G. Almost 1% every 3 minutes. On wifi it's good.

Posted via my Awesome Z30 using CB10
    02-23-14 04:51 PM
    I installed mine on the 17th

And finally one week later:

2141 battery life-img_20140224_010649.png

I'm happy with 12 hours!

And that's with a 50% screen brightness

It actually has improved gradually...

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 08:11 PM
    Omnitech, you are doing great things here at CB. and your efforts help many members. I sincerely apologize for hurting your feelings.

if I could offer you an action, it would be to use CB search for BB10 and Z10 battery. look back to when members started reporting instances of constant high idle current drain in the range of 240 to 270ma or simply described as device getting very hot or device draining within a short time frame. if you do this action, you will observe the pattern(s) and should draw your own conclusions.

normally firmware issues are readily repeatable, but sometimes they are intermittent. This bug in intermittent, but when it happens, it is as described in my 1st post.

thanks for being so helpful to the CB community.
    bill

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Last edited by Observer2; 02-23-14 at 09:29 PM.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-23-14 09:12 PM
    As you are gathering information on battery related issues, then you have had opportunity to see the scope of this issue and I have not yet looked hard at their website to check if they offer a way to report issues of this type. do you know?
    thanks

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Have you tried downloading the BlackBerry Beta Zone App, there's a bug report section in there.

Posted via CB10 with my Super Snappy Z10 (STL100-3) 10.2.1.2141 on AT&T
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-24-14 01:33 AM
    yes and I don't see any reporting mechanism except for beta zone related, of which bB10 is not. Someone tried to report something else and was reprimanded. good thought though.
    thanks

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    02-24-14 05:28 AM
160 ... 23456 ...