03-15-14 08:31 PM
160 1234 ...
tools
    2141 battery life-img_20140220_035514.png with full brightness, and quite a few vines

Posted using my z10 on Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141
    damien kupuku likes this.
    02-19-14 09:57 PM
    Is push really consumming nore than pull?

No, that information is erroneous.

What will consume a lot of battery power for email:

• Lots of traffic/usage/large messages (especially if you have "Download images automatically" enabled)
    • Using a polling protocol like POP3 (or IMAP without push enabled) and polling frequently (ie more frequently than every 60 min)
    • Using the device in poor signal areas (general battery life issue but this is email-specific also since email is something that runs continuously)
    • Using IMAP rather than Exchange ActiveSync as syncing protocol (especially if you have many folders being synced to the device, IMAP battery usage goes way up)
    • Keeping large amounts of messages (ie thousands) in synced email folders increases sync overhead
    • Having many email accounts configured on the device and configuring them all to check email continuously
    Mecca EL and gemoelle like this.
    02-20-14 02:00 AM
    There is no such thing as software settling. Firmware is firmware, it works the same every time. Initial battery drains are large due to syncing accounts, adding programs, lots of time with the LCD on. Battery life is initially perceived as shorter due to the high processing taking place as you sync/customize.

Wrong. With BlackBerry 10, especially if you install an OS using an autoloader, there are a great deal of background processes going on for anywhere from the first few hours to the first few days after OS install. The device could be sitting there without you touching it and it will still do those things. This is why you should keep the device on charger or have a charger handy after an OS install. (Particularly an autoloader OS install, and particularly if you have a large amount of data stored in Hub or elsewhere on the device)

It is believed this is related to building of databases, caches and indexes of the filesystem. This is a very well known and documented element of OS installs on BB10.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-20-14 02:05 AM
    I've just about had it with the battery life on my Z30 since the upgrade to the latest OS .1925 (barring the release .2141 some users seem to be getting). Since the upgrade my battery life sucks.

That was a common complaint with .1925. Many people have reported noticeable improvements with .2141 in terms of battery usage.

If you are using CB10 to read this and cannot read my vbulletin posting signature, evidence on this (as well as other changes in .2141) is being compiled here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...veries-905611/
    02-20-14 02:09 AM
    Wrong. With BlackBerry 10, especially if you install an OS using an autoloader, there are a great deal of background processes going on for anywhere from the first few hours to the first few days after OS install. The device could be sitting there without you touching it and it will still do those things. This is why you should keep the device on charger or have a charger handy after an OS install. (Particularly an autoloader OS install, and particularly if you have a large amount of data stored in Hub or elsewhere on the device)

It is believed this is related to building of databases, caches and indexes of the filesystem. This is a very well known and documented element of OS installs on BB10.
    Roughly the same thing, semantics regarding the first few hours. As for a few days of processing I would like to see where this is discussed and verified. Multiple days of processing would be extreme, I would love to see what "database" or index BB10 is setting up requiring this amount of processing time. Perhaps BB10 is the backbone processing mechanism for the NSA's 30% phone eavesdropping network
    byransays and GPuba like this.
    02-20-14 02:28 AM
    Roughly the same thing, semantics regarding the first few hours. As for a few days of processing I would like to see where this is discussed and verified. Multiple days of processing would be extreme, I would love to see what "database" or index BB10 is setting up requiring this amount of processing time. Perhaps BB10 is the backbone processing mechanism for the NSA's 30% phone eavesdropping network

Evidence is all around you, all I know is that this has been observed and documented many, many times.

I can bring at least half a dozen friends who used to be part of BerryLeaks with me to come and say the same thing if you don't want to believe it coming from me.
    HarryDragon and Mecca EL like this.
    02-20-14 03:34 AM
    [*]Using a polling protocol like POP3 (or IMAP without push enabled) and polling frequently (ie more frequently than every 60 min)
    So, I should not set my three IMAP email accounts to poll every 30 minutes, but activate the push option and then set a longer interval?

I'm very impressed with battery life. Over night, with flight mode on, it only loses 4% battery.
    02-20-14 03:43 AM
    Evidence is all around you, all I know is that this has been observed and documented many, many times.

I can bring at least half a dozen friends who used to be part of BerryLeaks with me to come and say the same thing if you don't want to believe it coming from me.
    It doesn't matter who's saying it. What matters is why it takes days when this is clearly unacceptable and unnecessary.
    Whether it's poor inefficient design or a bug it needs sorting out.
    There is NO excuse for it.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-20-14 03:45 AM
    Well I'm seeing worse battery life on 2141 than I did on 537 with the 1926 radio added.

But it's not far worse life, 1-2 hours at present and it's only had a couple of days to settle down. I'll report back if life increases with time.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 04:32 AM
    It doesn't matter who's saying it. What matters is why it takes days when this is clearly unacceptable and unnecessary.

Whatever you say!
    02-20-14 05:11 AM
    So, I should not set my three IMAP email accounts to poll every 30 minutes, but activate the push option and then set a longer interval?

I'm very impressed with battery life. Over night, with flight mode on, it only loses 4% battery.

IMAP will poll anyway for updating the mailbox, even with push enabled. (The push part just pertains to notifying users of new messages, more or less) And a lot depends on other variables, including the way that the server you are connected-to works.

IMAP4 also has had a large variety of enhancements defined since it was originally standardized, and vendors are all over the map in terms of which of those enhancements - some of which are designed specifically to improve battery life in mobile devices - they support.

Probably the main thing you can do to minimize battery usage on IMAP connected accounts is to minimize the number of synced folders and the size of those folders, and setting longer intervals between poll times wouldn't hurt either. (But bear in mind if you do something like a deletion or move, it can take up to the poll time interval for those changes to be reflected on other clients.)
    02-20-14 05:17 AM

The only time that BB10 takes longer than 48 hrs to index everything is usually down to a bad OS install.

I advise people to wipe their phone after an install and start from fresh.
    byransays and GPuba like this.
    02-20-14 06:12 AM
    The only time that BB10 takes longer than 48 hrs to index everything is usually down to a bad OS install.

I advise people to wipe their phone after an install and start from fresh.
    Unfortunately it's statements like "bad os install" and "index everything" that I find annoying, as they are vague bordering meaningless.
    48 hours is a massive amount of processing time, so the issue is probably off device, maybe PIM service interaction. I would expect bbry to be well aware of the issue but as usual there is a deafening silence regarding workarounds or fixes.

02-20-14 06:35 AM

Probably the main thing you can do to minimize battery usage on IMAP connected accounts is to minimize the number of synced folders and the size of those folders, and setting longer intervals between poll times wouldn't hurt either. (But bear in mind if you do something like a deletion or move, it can take up to the poll time interval for those changes to be reflected on other clients.)
    This is helpful information. I am not on BES, just actvie sync and a gmail account. Only really an inbox on the gmail, I think. But on my active sync work account I have a lot of folders I need to archive mail into. So how is the issue of identifying which ones to sync organized (without BES)?

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 06:40 AM
    This is helpful information. I am not on BES, just actvie sync and a gmail account. Only really an inbox on the gmail, I think. But on my active sync work account I have a lot of folders I need to archive mail into. So how is the issue of identifying which ones to sync organized (without BES)?

One of the key reasons EAS is superior to IMAP for battery efficiency is because it doesn't have this IMAP problem where it needs to maintain an open TCP socket for every single synced folder. It uses one open socket for syncing and notifying for everything, including all email in the account, calendar, contacts, notes, etc.

It is also much more robust in unfriendly network environments. IMAP's push functionality will fail if the entire path cannot maintain an open TCP session/socket for its requested session length, which is usually around 30 minutes. EAS will try a similiar thing, but if the session gets closed prematurely by some network element in the path it will start backing-off and trying shorter and shorter session lengths until it finds one that works, down to something like 5 minutes or so, where it finally reverts to polling.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-20-14 06:51 AM
    I am getting better battery life than 1925.
    Seems pretty stable also.

Posted via CB10
    Relletti likes this.
    02-20-14 08:41 AM
    Unfortunately it's statements like "bad os install" and "index everything" that I find annoying, as they are vague bordering meaningless.
    48 hours is a massive amount of processing time, so the issue is probably off device, maybe PIM service interaction. I would expect bbry to be well aware of the issue but as usual there is a deafening silence regarding workarounds or fixes.

Don't blame me for using "bad OS install" or "indexing", those are terms that have been used by others and will be again.

Even BlackBerry Help have used those terms when I've contacted them.

Like yourself, I highly suspect BlackBerry know of the issues.
    02-20-14 11:52 AM
    Day three after a clean install of 2141 and this still:

2141 battery life-img_20140220_181108.png

This is bull****

Losing patience now :@

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 12:11 PM

This is bull****

Your display usage is pretty high - you keep the screen on a lot?

When was the last time you did a power-down/restart?

Sometimes people have found the power usage settle down quite a bit after a couple of full restarts following a new OS install.
    02-20-14 02:10 PM
    Don't blame me for using "bad OS install" or "indexing", those are terms that have been used by others and will be again.

Even BlackBerry Help have used those terms when I've contacted them.

Like yourself, I highly suspect BlackBerry know of the issues.
    Apologies if you thought I was blaming you personally. I just feel these terms are being used to casually justify an issue that is causing grief to many bb10 users.

Pete The Penguin likes this.
    02-20-14 02:17 PM
    just wait for 3 days minimum, i had this problem and now i got my battery (Q10) last for 2 days minimum normal use.
    Mine still didnt sattle down from the first day leak got leaked

Its just giving me 1 day in 10.2 it was giving me 2 or sometimes when I dont use it a lot it gives me 2 and a half day

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 03:54 PM
    Your display usage is pretty high - you keep the screen on a lot?

When was the last time you did a power-down/restart?

Sometimes people have found the power usage settle down quite a bit after a couple of full restarts following a new OS install.
    My brightness is 50 % as default

And I do use my phone a fair amount but not a high user.

I have done a battery pull a few times and a restart using the off button.

What about the volume key restart?

Also what method are you implying when you say power down/restart?

Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 05:04 PM
    There is no such thing as software settling. Firmware is firmware, it works the same every time. Initial battery drains are large due to syncing accounts, adding programs, lots of time with the LCD on. Battery life is initially perceived as shorter due to the high processing taking place as you sync/customize.

1925 and this version for me (heavy user/road warrior) I get 4 to 5 hours. Not great at all, in my humble opinion these latest releases have chewed the battery.

There are a number of threads in the leaked/beta forums discussing battery fixes. There are options to load earlier radio versions which some say helps tremendously. Read through those threads though as some folks had soft bricks not being able to downgrade the official radio files of 1925 especially on Verizon. Not sure what happens when you try it on this release.
    Can you post a screenshot of your Device Monitor? 4-5 hours is crazy!!
    02-20-14 05:26 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140220_181108.png 
Views:	1756 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	249633

This is bull****

Posted via CB10
    You are getting 7 hours with 18% left to go; sounds like what the average user is experiencing.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-20-14 05:29 PM
    So far I'm getting the best battery life since loading up 2141. On 1925 it seemed to drain extremely fast.

Posted via my Awesome Z30 using CB10
    02-20-14 05:33 PM
160 1234 ...