02-23-15 12:56 PM
75 123
tools
    It's done that way according to an inside programmer so as to save on cash memory and prevent other apps from using most of your ram while running in the background, so I'm told. Does that make sense to any of you?
    If the active frame is frozen when minimizing, it makes no sense to me that there would be any additional penalty vs using a previously cached image versus and taking a new one, since the the minimized app already has the updated frozen screenshot before it then decides to swap it out with an older one. It would seem the switching of the images would be a penalty. Even if there is a performance benefit to this behavior (which I doubt), I think user experience is more important. I doubt Android or iOS do this, and BB is supposed to be the better multitasker...
    02-01-15 11:51 AM
    Not seeing this issue on mine with Z30STA100-3/10.3.1.2072 installed destructively a couple days after leaking, and a full restore. Apps that should change, such as pictures and BBM do, those that shouldn't such as browser and settings don't.

It's a leak, and even if it wasn't results will vary. Possibly reloading the OS would resolve it, or there's a setting I haven't found, or an app is creating a conflict. Either way it's a leak. Don't like it, try something else. Certainly not BlackBerry's fault you don't like it.
    02-01-15 02:45 PM
    After severe Remote Access problems, I decided to wipe and set up from scratch. The method I posted earlier to reproduce the bug does not work anymore now. It now behaves correctly as Big Bad Wulf describes.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 02:51 PM
    Hmm, I had upgraded via blitz, then security wiped, then downgraded via BlackBerry link then used an autoloader then formatted again.... I thought that was enough.
    Besides my passport arrives tomorrow so I might stick to official for a little bit.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 05:34 PM
    Hmm, I had upgraded via blitz, then security wiped, then downgraded via BlackBerry link then used an autoloader then formatted again.... I thought that was enough.
    Besides my passport arrives tomorrow so I might stick to official for a little bit.

Posted via CB10
    Enough to totally bodge things up. Why so many steps?
    02-01-15 05:39 PM
    Enough to totally bodge things up. Why so many steps?
    There are reasons, stuff to do with having to wait to go to work so I can access a windows machine to run an autoloader. I'll admit it's not my usual list of steps. I'd normally try a blitz and if it fails hit it with an autoloader and maybe a wipe to be sure (I've never had any problems that aren't inherent to the leak yet). I still don't get how this could have bodged it as technically the autoloader should supersede any prior steps... But then again, loading leaks is sometimes more like alchemy, sometimes it just doesn't work and there's no good reason.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 07:04 PM
    It's done that way according to an inside programmer so as to save on cash memory and prevent other apps from using most of your ram while running in the background, so I'm told. Does that make sense to any of you?
    Yep I can understand the idea but it goes against the BlackBerry flow we all love so much. I can't imagine a couple of thumbnails saving enough ram to make this worthwhile considering bb10 runs great even on the older z10 q10 hardware. Let's hope they revert this back to the old behaviour before they go live with anything official.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 07:07 PM
    There are reasons, stuff to do with having to wait to go to work so I can access a windows machine to run an autoloader. I'll admit it's not my usual list of steps. I'd normally try a blitz and if it fails hit it with an autoloader and maybe a wipe to be sure (I've never had any problems that aren't inherent to the leak yet). I still don't get how this could have bodged it as technically the autoloader should supersede any prior steps... But then again, loading leaks is sometimes more like alchemy, sometimes it just doesn't work and there's no good reason.

Posted via CB10
    My money is on the security wipe messing things up, and an autoloader doesn't wipe everything, every time. I'd do a cfp nuke if anything, but only if necessary, like after a security wipe.

Yep I can understand the idea but it goes against the BlackBerry flow we all love so much. I can't imagine a couple of thumbnails saving enough ram to make this worthwhile considering bb10 runs great even on the older z10 q10 hardware. Let's hope they revert this back to the old behaviour before they go live with anything official.

Posted via CB10
    They don't need to fix anything. It works fine on my Z30. Honest to G_d.
    02-01-15 07:15 PM
    I'm very happy to hear that, actually. It sounds like they may finally be addressing a fundamental flaw in the BB10 memory model that I've heard several people bring to their attention, including at the very first BB10 jam years ago now.

I look forward to seeing how they fix it. I'm glad to hear they are at least addressing it.

This is something the Palm team had to work out. The Android team had to figure it out. The WinCE and WP teams. The iPhone team had to figure it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-01-15 07:52 PM
    Not seeing this issue on mine with Z30STA100-3/10.3.1.2072 installed destructively a couple days after leaking, and a full restore. Apps that should change, such as pictures and BBM do, those that shouldn't such as browser and settings don't.

It's a leak, and even if it wasn't results will vary. Possibly reloading the OS would resolve it, or there's a setting I haven't found, or an app is creating a conflict. Either way it's a leak. Don't like it, try something else. Certainly not BlackBerry's fault you don't like it.
    Your music app too?

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 10:16 PM
    Your music app too?

Posted via CB10
    When I'm playing music it updates, if not it goes to a default screen.

I rarely keep any app open, and as app developer BlackBerry focusing on the actually performance of the OS should be the priority, not minor minutia. That can come after stability is resolved.
    SirSti23 likes this.
    02-01-15 10:41 PM
    1 more reason which may have delayed the roll out of the 10.3.1 OS.. yeah, the active frame's behaviour.

take your time BlackBerry.. February still got 26 days, better fix those things up before the roll out! strange active frame behaviour, low notification tones (for Q/Z devices except Z30), screen flickering issue (i heard it's been a killer let down for Passport), typing lags (again for Passport) and other bugs... better fix them all!
    02-02-15 01:35 AM
    Duplicated issue, reset device, duplicated again. Never noticed it before, so don't know when this bug appeared or if it is by design, and thus not a bug.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.1.2072
    02-03-15 12:04 PM
    I find it also varies with apps, having side loaded Google play store I found it slowed the device by a good 25%, but I'm not complaining multitasking background running apps causes faster battery drain,besides wouldn't you rather save cash and ram on things that are truly important like a word document email. Freezing a screenshot of the last thing you did before exiting is a reminder of where you left off. Now could be annoying for things like social media Twitter Facebook where live feed is important to you, so then stick with an Android device for the updating tabs. Just sayin...
    If the active frame is frozen when minimizing, it makes no sense to me that there would be any additional penalty vs using a previously cached image versus and taking a new one, since the the minimized app already has the updated frozen screenshot before it then decides to swap it out with an older one. It would seem the switching of the images would be a penalty. Even if there is a performance benefit to this behavior (which I doubt), I think user experience is more important. I doubt Android or iOS do this, and BB is supposed to be the better multitasker...
    02-03-15 06:54 PM
    Those apps don't have active frames. But minimizing your Maps app should show a shrunk version of the open app, much like the Setting, Calculator and Compass apps do.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 08:20 PM
    I just installed 2243 and I have to agree with OP. This "new" behaviour is horrible.

I can't minimise Remember and still see my notes. Flow is completely disrupted with this. I hope they restore the original system.
    02-03-15 10:07 PM
    Unfortunately I have encountered both behaviors. I just checked and at the moment I cannot duplicate it, but I have seen it before. I think the issue comes up more when running both BlackBerry and Android apps. That's usually when I see it the worst.
    02-03-15 10:17 PM
    I just installed 2243 and I have to agree with OP. This "new" behaviour is horrible.

I can't minimise Remember and still see my notes. Flow is completely disrupted with this. I hope they restore the original system.
    Remember app doesn't show anything when minimised on official 10.2.2 T-mobile Germany.
    Neither BBM, it only shows 'No recent feeds' in active frame, even when there's a message coming.

The settings is as wanted, no problems here.

02-04-15 04:35 PM
    I had this problem on my Q5 using 10.3.1.2072, but installing the coreOS from .2243 the problem went away..
    02-05-15 07:31 AM
    After installing blitz 2243 this issue disappeared for me, at least with the calculator app.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 11:03 AM
    I can confirm, 2243, no active frame issue

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 11:07 AM
    I'm going to resurrect this as Im getting the problem now on my passport after the official 10.2.1.2243 OTA. It doesn't start after a fresh reboot but it seems that it begins when you have a few applications running and once it has started it continues until you reboot. Seriously annoyed at this, I didn't want to have to wipe after the update but it seems you have twisted my arm bb.

What would you guys recommend, autoloader or reset through bb link? cpfnuke seems a bit overkill but I know some of you guys swear by it.

EDIT: looks like the problem is there on a fresh 10.3.1.2408 install so I actually think this is a change to the OS rather than a bug. doesn't happen all the time again so I believe its a memory management related change. Damn blackberry REVERT, REVERT, everything was working fine before. I've had not a single annoyance or instability but these 10.3.1 updates have messed these things up a wee bit. Hmmmm....
    Last edited by tomh235; 02-23-15 at 03:51 AM. Reason: New info
    02-23-15 03:47 AM
    Let me clarify. On your device, open settings.

Minimise the app.

You should see this.

Attachment 330766

Open the app and go to network settings.

Attachment 330767

Minimise the app again, you should see:

Attachment 330768

Now wait....

If your phone is not on .2072 your screen will stay like this. If you are on .2072 you will see a flash and boom....

Attachment 330766

Hmm mm, let's open settings again....

Attachment 330767

Jarring no?

Posted via CB10
    I'm on Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267 and my active frames behave the way you're saying you'd like them to. When I minimize an app, the active frame stays on whatever I had on the app last.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 09:47 AM
    I'm on Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267 and my active frames behave the way you're saying you'd like them to. When I minimize an app, the active frame stays on whatever I had on the app last.

Posted via CB10
    I'll try this is release. Fingers crossed, thanks.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 10:24 AM
    I have 10.3.1.2267 on my Z10 STL100-4 and just tried 9Gag, which doesn't define active frames, and the active frame bug exists there, where if I open it, I see an image, minimize it, and that is the active frame. I then reopen that app, scroll down to something else, minimize, and it'll show what I was looking at for a second, flash, and show the original active frame image.

Apps that are properly coded for an active frame (like Chive On), work as expected.

Note that I loaded 2267 over top 2072, not as an autoloader.
    02-23-15 12:56 PM
75 123