Do you guys feel as if the launching and speed/responsiveness of the Android apps are still too lacking in comparison to the rest of the OS? For example, youversion, Bleacher Report, and IMDB all launch but take a good 10 seconds to show any useful data. I have an S4 here and things pretty instantaneous. I'm curious your thoughts and maybe if something is wrong with mine. I'm using a Z10 for testing. Thanks!

Gary
    12-02-13 08:19 AM
    Are you aware that the S4 is quad core and runs Android natively while the Z10 runs BlackBerry 10 and actually runs Android in a runtime and is only dual core?

I am actually pretty impress that with less specs it can actually run 2 OS

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 08:22 AM
    The Android Runtime team has been hard at work this year, bringing many new improvements to the runtime, such as support for Jelly Bean 4.2.2, hardware acceleration and performance updates. The team is continuing the quest to improve the overall compatibility of the runtime and add support for many highly requested features and APIs.

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/1...ate-is-coming/

Should see hardware acceleration in the final build.

Posted via CB10
    Easy-G likes this.
    12-02-13 08:34 AM
    I haven't had the chance to compare the two, but it is unfortunate that the Z10 lags behind a little in Android app performance. We can't really expect the runtime experience to be on par with native Android and superior hardware.

That said, I find essentials like Google Maps to be very responsive and reliable.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 08:34 AM
    yes I'm aware of the improvements. However, user experience is the key. When several apps lag behind others and the OS it messes with the experience whether fair or not fair. That is the user's experience. I'm technical and patient and can look past this but just bringing it up because it is very noticeable. Regardless of dual or quad or whatever....you shouldn't see an app splash screen and then have to wait 5-10 seconds before data appears in this day and age.
    jpvj likes this.
    12-02-13 08:37 AM
    Like I said in other thread, Instagram and 9gag scroll smoother on samsung galaxy s3 than on my z10. So I believe s4 should be better.

But it's been a huge improvement in both compatibility and performance of android runtime on os 10.2.1 compare to 10.0 and 10.1.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 08:49 AM
    yes I'm aware of the improvements. However, user experience is the key. When several apps lag behind others and the OS it messes with the experience whether fair or not fair. That is the user's experience. I'm technical and patient and can look past this but just bringing it up because it is very noticeable. Regardless of dual or quad or whatever....you shouldn't see an app splash screen and then have to wait 5-10 seconds before data appears in this day and age.
    ... you also shouldn't expect software to EVER overcome a hardware limitation. I don't think you understand what the runtime is doing.
    12-02-13 08:50 AM
    Tell that to the consumers who buy it expecting good performance...especially ones who may switch. Take off your hardware/software limitation hat for a bit and just look at the experience in comparison.
    12-02-13 09:12 AM
    I don't want to get into a discussion about Benchmarks and limitations of using them but fire up AnTuTu on both devices. The Z10 comes in at ~12000 and the GalaxyS4 comes in at ~27000. The system lists the Z10 slightly above the Galaxy S2 at about ~11000.
    12-02-13 09:46 AM
    Also remember that BlackBerry isn't marketed as an Android device.

But performance has improved dramatically. There is barely any lag using most side loaded app. I tried Waze yesterday and it flows like an native app with no noticeable difference.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 10:45 AM
    I find the performance of the android player pretty good. Starting an app takes a few seconds, but as soon as it's started it runs smoothly and pretty responsive.
    Also this isn't the same for every app. I have several news apps and 2 navigation apps installed and some of the news apps start fast others take a few seconds. The 2 navigation apps need more time to start, but I guess it's due to there size.
    Overall I'm pleased with the performance of the android player and think there will be more improvements in the future.

But I got the feeling that native apps on 1055 also take a bit longer to start. I often see the BlackBerry 10 logo when I start a app (more often then on 10.2.0.1803) and CB10 for example shows me the splash screen for about 5-7 seconds, which it didn't do on 1803, it was loaded almost instantly.

Posted via CB10
    damien kupuku likes this.
    12-02-13 01:30 PM
    That is how it needs to be. I'm still testing though. It'll be interesting to see which apps start getting published once 10.2.1 gets pushed to carriers.
    12-03-13 08:00 AM
    My experience with 10.2.1 is that more apps work but the stability and performance of the Android player is not as good as the official 10.2. Many apps that I've been using since 10.1 are not working as well or not at all on 10.2.1... so I went back to official 10.2 and I'm waiting for a new leak to come out.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 08:37 AM
    Qnx is a monster just imagine if they would have went with a quad core I'm looking forward to seeing the rumored 8 core

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 08:45 PM
    There is a load time for some android apps on my z30, they run smoothly with no noticeable lag. Some native apps have a load time. What i don't like is the android apps that don't work at all. I feel if they release the update and tell people you can run apks by downloading them directly and they don't work its going to be a media **** show.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 10:16 PM
    While I find it lags in some apps it seems that it's a matter of certain apis being more finished and optimized in the android player then others. Thats why different apps that use different parts of the API might give such different experiences.

Edit: also remember 10.2.1.1055 isn't really necessarily anywhere close to a release build.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 04:38 PM