05-15-14 05:11 PM
95 1234
tools
    I think it's hilarious that the people calling this ugly are the same people that wanted the flat design. You wanted it, you were the loudest and they responded. *clap*

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I most certainly did not want it. I love the current design.

Posted via CB10
    peter0328 likes this.
    05-14-14 04:24 AM
    ... why are people arguing about icons?

Why do you care?

If it's such an affront to you, then stop using BB10.

Go android, you can put whatever icons you want there. Good for them I say.

But really, I use BlackBerry 10 because I believe it's the current best OS on the market.

I don't care about the damn icons. They can look like pieces of crap.

Give me labeled black boxes for all I care. This focus on the icons is ridiculous.

Everyone is silly, on both sides.

If you like them, cool. If you don't, whatever.

You know what's NOT gonna happen? You're not going to change Blackberry's mind. They're going to do whatever they want, and the only real recourse you have is to vote with your wallet.

I'm amazed that they have listened to their customers as much as they have. It has definitely been for the better.

But if they were looking at this discussion... if I worked at BlackBerry as a software designer, I would quit my job.

All over damn icons.

Hey, here is my opinion, make them all bright neon pink. It will make no one happy. Just like this discussion.

Posted via Z69
    Actually, BlackBerry has listened to feedback on the icons before. They were redesigned before release, and now with the removal of the boxes.

Posted via CB10
    peter0328 likes this.
    05-14-14 04:30 AM
    I most certainly did not want it. I love the current design.

Posted via CB10
    People need to understand that BlackBerry is not trying to cater to just YOU. BlackBerry is trying to appeal to more people. Icons are a matter of opinion. If after market research, you find most people like a flat design, then it makes sense to move in that direction. BlackBerry is still improving functionality none the less. Personally, I quite like the new icons but there are also old icons that I preferred like the BBworld icon. Nonetheless I like the direction BB is headed.

Edit: This is my 100th Post!
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    05-14-14 04:54 AM
    So it's a breeze for you to differentiate between two similar (almost identical) icons? You do realize that having two similar or nearly identical icons for two separate apps is very poor design, right?

Wow, just wow. I don't have a misinformed opinion; but you sure have a bloated ego. Do me a favor and don't respond, I don't need to read anymore of the crap you choose to write. As a matter of fact, welcome to my ignore list.

Posted via CB10
    Almost identical? No offence but are you color blind? Because they have totally different colors plus who doesn't know what the foursquare icon looks like?!

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 05:52 AM
    Almost identical? No offence but are you color blind? Because they have totally different colors plus who doesn't know what the foursquare icon looks like?!

Posted via CB10
    No offense taken, but are you trying to say that BB10 isn't intended for the color blind?

I myself am not color blind, but if a user is then the icons would be barely indistinguishable, and this again is incredibly poor design. The whole UI probably is an incredible mess of a single shade with nothing but words scattered about. How would a color blind person be able to use BB10? I hope that BlackBerry incorporates a theme engine in which we can change every single UI/UX element and icon to our hearts content.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 06:31 AM
    I think the issue here is a simple one. For those who prefer the icons as they are now, should simply stick to their current OS and never upgrade. Problem solved.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z30
    05-14-14 06:46 AM
    I think the issue here is a simple one. For those who prefer the icons as they are now, should simply stick to their current OS and never upgrade. Problem solved.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z30
    That's not a solution, that's a half assed remark. Please don't post such rabble. If you have something worth contributing, then please do so; if not, then refrain from posting at all.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 06:50 AM
    I like the new Remember icon as it is simple but the lined paper subtle background to it gives texture and context. I'm a bit worried though as the Windermere icon seems to lack that. The current Remember Icon is not very good.

I do hope BlackBerry doesn't go too extreme with flatness. Simple and sleek is fine, with subtle texture, gradients, and shadows. That is actually how BB10 prior to 10.3 looked anyway, even if the icons did not.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 07:27 AM
    I like the new Remember icon as it is simple but the lined paper subtle background to it gives texture and context. I'm a bit worried though as the Windermere icon seems to lack that. The current Remember Icon is not very good.

I do hope BlackBerry doesn't go too extreme with flatness. Simple and sleek is fine, with subtle texture, gradients, and shadows. That is actually how BB10 prior to 10.3 looked anyway, even if the icons did not.
    "Remember" icon was probably the weakest icon out of the bunch of default ones. This one is quite simple and quite effective.
    05-14-14 07:55 AM
    Love the new icons!
    05-14-14 10:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. Some of the current icons do that, i.e. search phone, voice control, contacts. Some slight tweaking wound have done it.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 11:06 AM
    Icons are fresh!

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 12:17 PM
    Am I the only one who thinks these icons look great? Smh there is just no pleasing some people!
    05-14-14 12:18 PM
    Ugly, indifferent, mainstream, assimilated, unsubtle, candy-colored, 8-bit-style, not BlackBerry!
    peter0328 likes this.
    05-14-14 12:25 PM
    when is J Caloy doing a video about how he HATESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS the new beautiful icon set and its minimalistic approach?
    05-14-14 12:42 PM
    Well there seems to be a pretty wide difference of opinion on these new icons.

Overall I really like the new look of everything except for the prompts being too white. They need some of the color from the foursquare app.

They better get rid of the old style showing for a second when you first launch some apps though.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by matt4pack; 05-14-14 at 01:01 PM.
    05-14-14 12:47 PM
    Here they are on my old GS3 using Nova Launcher. Missing a bunch of other icons but you can see how they look. I like how they look.
    Attached Thumbnails 10.3 Iconography for Windermere-screenshot_2014-05-14-14-02-24.jpg  
    thanasi and Mecca EL like this.
    05-14-14 01:06 PM
    I love this direction. I disagree that it looks too childish. it feels more modern and more lighthearted for sure, but that's not a bad thing.
    yciwolf and soundscan9800 like this.
    05-14-14 01:24 PM
    Why not making them all square or rounded. They look not consistent and cheap.
    Exactly, consistent and I prefer a standard set of rounded and boxed icons (hint: take a cue from iOS).

10.3 Iconography for Windermere-apple-com-leaks-old-ios-7-iconography.png
    p_r_a_g_m_a likes this.
    05-14-14 02:12 PM
    Here they are on my old GS3 using Nova Launcher. Missing a bunch of other icons but you can see how they look. I like how they look.
    I'm in love, oh mai gosh, they're so beautiful!!!

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 02:25 PM
    Thanks for your effort but I'm still not completely convinced yet. I prefer the remember app icon from Michael clewey's 10.3 preview. But that's it.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 02:44 PM
    Inside of the .bar files icons are labeled as following:

A - for A series
    L - for L series
    N - for N series
    W- for Windermere

There is no mention of Ontario until you open up "assets/1080x1920" and read DeviceConfig.js file:
    var deviceName = "Ontario";
    var deviceWidth = 1080;
    var deviceHeight = 1920;
    // Available screen area
    var ptScreenAreaHeight = 1746;
    var lsScreenAreaHeight = 941;
    05-14-14 05:16 PM
    People need to understand that BlackBerry is not trying to cater to just YOU.
    He clearly made that remark in response to Dave Bourque’s comment. I’m sure he’s well aware of that.

BlackBerry is trying to appeal to more people. Icons are a matter of opinion. If after market research, you find most people like a flat design, then it makes sense to move in that direction. BlackBerry is still improving functionality none the less. Personally, I quite like the new icons but there are also old icons that I preferred like the BBworld icon. Nonetheless I like the direction BB is headed.
    That my very well be true. My worry is that BlackBerry shows some warped priorities and lack of a sense of urgency. I almost threw my Z10 against the wall last week, after messing around with the Contacts app to get it to work. I’ve been a recent BlackBerry convert and these glitches and bugs are starting to make me really angry. This is something I have not experienced in years.

BlackBerry 10 looks fine. It’s relatively new, it’s functional, it’s flat, it’s consistent. I just don’t think it needs that visual overhaul right now. BlackBerry 10 should convince with stability and its features, not with its looks. That was never one of BlackBerry’s strong points anyway, but reliability was, or so I’ve heard.

Yet, I have to admit that these icons above a starting to look better than their previous versions (the leaked icons that is). You can clearly see that it’s a work in progress and I’m confident that they may get those right at least.
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    05-14-14 06:26 PM
    I love how everyone complaining on here thinks that 10.3 is just a UI overhaul...

Posted via CB10
    coldfir3 and soundscan9800 like this.
    05-14-14 07:12 PM
    I love how everyone complaining on here thinks that 10.3 is just a UI overhaul...

Posted via CB10
    +1000
    05-14-14 07:51 PM
95 1234