05-15-14 05:11 PM
95 1234
tools
    Ug.ly. The current icons portray the apps much better than these. Some of them I couldn't even guess what they were. Flat design (which is already old) will be old and outdated in a year or two, so they will just have to redesign everything again for no reason. There are many other design styles that are more beautiful.

Posted via CB10
    peter0328 and RECOOL like this.
    05-13-14 09:14 PM
    When will you give this a rest? Aren't you tired of complaining already?

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z30
    Why should we just accept everything? Almost nobody complained about the current design. Now with the new one, many are complaining. Complaining isn't a bad thing as it gives BlackBerry feedback.
    They could have just gotten rid of the boxes (some people like them though) and slightly tweaked the icons.
    Black is flat and minimalist already.

Posted via CB10
    elGuapoTorres and peter0328 like this.
    05-13-14 09:21 PM
    I know old is the new new, but those things look like something out of Windows 3.11. I'm NOT impressed.

Z10
    RECOOL likes this.
    05-13-14 09:23 PM
    I like them. It really doesn't matter though as 10.3 on a design level is becoming much more simplistic and minimalist. The icons had to change.The thing is this style is popular right now. If that means in a couple of years it needs to be changed again then so be it. Hopefully by then there will be some sort of theme selection implemented so we can use whatever icons we want. Until then BB has to stay on top of popular design and, whether you like it or not, this is it. I do agree that some of these icons really need to change. The calculator looks waaay to close to iOS6 calculator if it was in a grey box. Love the clock. Love the compass. The camera looks better in this darker version than the 10.3 SDK I have loaded on my Q10. The music app and the video app are too similar. The music app isn't shown here but it is another red circle. They should give it a different colour. Same with search I guess. The maps is nice but needs a bit more contrast. It's all blue. Maybe some grey roads or something. Anyway, I'm liking it so far and I hope they improve on it some more. It's a good start IMO.
    05-13-14 10:01 PM
    Some of them I couldn't even guess what they were. Flat design (which is already old) will be old and outdated in a year or two, so they will just have to redesign everything again for no reason. There are many other design styles that are more beautiful.

Posted via CB10
    The icons are beautiful, simple, clean, and instantly recognizable. You shouldn't be using a smartphone if you can't recognize what these icons represent. If you don't understand the reason for flat design then I guess an analogous description would be the world of fashion. You follow (or start) a trend, or you look dated and not as good if you don't.

Why should we just accept everything? Almost nobody complained about the current design. Now with the new one, many are complaining. Complaining isn't a bad thing as it gives BlackBerry feedback.
    They could have just gotten rid of the boxes (some people like them though) and slightly tweaked the icons.

Posted via CB10
    That's where your "justification" is proven wrong. The original iconography was highly criticized by the community and therefore changed to its current design. Now with BlackBerry's iteration of flat design, it is definitely the best in the market.
    aminrajabi and Foppa_21 like this.
    05-13-14 10:04 PM
    The icons are beautiful, simple, clean, and instantly recognizable. You shouldn't be using a smartphone if you can't recognize what these icons represent. If you don't understand the reason for flat design then I guess an analogous description would be the world of fashion. You follow (or start) a trend, or you look dated and not as good if you don't.
    They are not beautiful, they are simple but that's not necessarily a good thing, not at all clean since they're inconsistent and absolutely not instantly recognizable. A good example is that Remember icon, if it wasn't for the fact that it's color is purple I would have not figured out it's for Remember instead of Foursquare; and even then you have to give yourself a second to think about it to even figure it out, and that my friend is poor icon design.

That's where your "justification" is proven wrong. The original iconography was highly criticized by the community and therefore changed to its current design. Now with BlackBerry's iteration of flat design, it is definitely the best in the market.
    Have you not been reading the endless threads started here on Crackberry where tons of users including myself have complained about the new flat design and remarked how the prior icons in 10.2.1 and below were orders of magnitude better?

BlackBerry's iteration of flat design is most definitely not the best, in-fact it's down right gag inducing.

Posted via CB10
    scrapmetal58, peter0328 and RECOOL like this.
    05-13-14 10:58 PM
    Any design style without purpose shows a lack of focus and direction. There's no reason to go flat, so why waste resources going flat? Shows that BlackBerry still has no clue what it's going to take to keep BB10 afloat. "Hey everyone, ignore the fact that you're missing core features, instead just look over here at these NEW ICONS! OOOOH!!!"

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 11:25 PM
    May as well have the OS7 style.. bring back the old school

peter0328 likes this.
    05-13-14 11:33 PM
    A good example is that Remember icon, if it wasn't for the fact that it's color is purple I would have not figured out it's for Remember instead of Foursquare; and even then you have to give yourself a second to think about it to even figure it out, and that my friend is poor icon design.

Posted via CB10
    Remember is an application for getting tasks done. Thus the check mark, for completing tasks. It's not difficult at all to figure out.

As a matter of fact, what is Foursquare's icon? How does that even represent what the app does?

Have you not been reading the endless threads started here on Crackberry where tons of users including myself have complained about the new flat design and remarked how the prior icons in 10.2.1 and below were orders of magnitude better?

BlackBerry's iteration of flat design is most definitely not the best, in-fact it's down right gag inducing.

Posted via CB10
    I don't understand your argument to this. You clearly have not understood my reply. I said BlackBerry was given strong negative criticism when they first released the initial set of icons to the BlackBerry 10 OS. They eventually changed it before release. This has nothing to do with the shift of the current icons onto 10.3.

And it seems like plenty of users like the new icons. Just take a look at the comments above and on Clewley's channel. It appears that you and your small gang are just merely against change. This is change for good, which happens to be beautifully simplistic and modern, because the whole OS is changing as a whole with 10.3.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by thanasi; 05-14-14 at 12:25 AM.
    05-13-14 11:54 PM
    I think it's hilarious that the people calling this ugly are the same people that wanted the flat design. You wanted it, you were the loudest and they responded. *clap*

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    05-14-14 12:04 AM
    Not bad

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 12:06 AM
    Any design style without purpose shows a lack of focus and direction. There's no reason to go flat, so why waste resources going flat? Shows that BlackBerry still has no clue what it's going to take to keep BB10 afloat. "Hey everyone, ignore the fact that you're missing core features, instead just look over here at these NEW ICONS! OOOOH!!!"

Posted via CB10
    Hmm... there are different teams of people working on different things... they aren't ignoring core features just because you think that's all they've done... UI... just no lol.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    05-14-14 12:07 AM
    Lol..

Back to complaining about icons.

Yay.
    Fret Madden and aminrajabi like this.
    05-14-14 12:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    And I think the old icons look stupid, aged and the new ones look great. They need to keep the UI fresh. So tit for tat. You like the old ones, I like the new ones. 10.3 is pretty much a new OS, only stands to reason they have new icons to match it. The old ones don't even fit the styling of 10.3.
    05-14-14 12:14 AM
    Kiddy icons? I like to see themes for Blackberry 10 so that i can chance back to the old ones or maybe retro look
    peter0328 likes this.
    05-14-14 12:21 AM
    Remember is an application for getting tasks done. Thus the check mark, for completing tasks. It's not difficult at all to figure out.

As a matter of fact, what is Foursquare's icon? How does that even represent what the app does?
    That should be painfully obvious, the Foursquare icon represents that you have to "Check-in" at your current location; have you used Foursquare at all?

I don't understand your argument to this. You clearly have not understood my reply. I said BlackBerry was given strong negative criticism when they first released the initial set of icons to the BlackBerry 10 OS. They eventually changed it before release. This has nothing to do with the shift of the current icons onto 10.3.

And it seems like plenty of users like the new icons. Just take a look at the comments above and on Clewley's channel. It appears that you and your small gang are just merely against change. This is change for good, which happens to be beautifully simplistic and modern, because the whole OS is changing as a whole.

Posted via CB10
    I see there's no point in having a discussion with you; you've already demonstrated that you consider anyone with an opinion that doesn't match your own to be wrong and thus invalid.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 12:28 AM
    That should be painfully obvious, the Foursquare icon represents that you have to "Check-in" at your current location; have you used Foursquare at all?
    Great then, you proved my point! So if it is "painfully obvious" to understand the Foursquare icon, then the Remember icon should be a breeze.

I see there's no point in having a discussion with you; you've already demonstrated that you consider anyone with an opinion that doesn't match your own to be wrong and thus invalid.

Posted via CB10
    You merely have a misinformed opinion. That is all.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by thanasi; 05-14-14 at 12:54 AM.
    05-14-14 12:40 AM
    Great then, you proved my point! So if it is "painfully obvious" to understand the Foursquare icon, then the Remember icon should be a breeze.
    So it's a breeze for you to differentiate between two similar (almost identical) icons? You do realize that having two similar or nearly identical icons for two separate apps is very poor design, right?

You merely have a misinformed opinion. That is all.

Posted via CB10
    Wow, just wow. I don't have a misinformed opinion; but you sure have a bloated ego. Do me a favor and don't respond, I don't need to read anymore of the crap you choose to write. As a matter of fact, welcome to my ignore list.

Posted via CB10
    scrapmetal58 and peter0328 like this.
    05-14-14 12:53 AM
    Those icons are beautifully minimalist and modern. They could use a tiny bit of work, but they look great!
    +10

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 01:02 AM
    I said it in my own thread describing my opinion on them. They look much more Googleish, definitely not as flat as iOS or Windows Phone. They look good though. BB10 was in serious need of a UI overhaul.

Posted via CB10
    thanasi likes this.
    05-14-14 01:06 AM
    Bloody hideous. I was disgusted by most of them when I loaded the leak on my old Z10. I hope these are just place holders. Lets not go backwards BlackBerry.

Mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735/ Mike Garson Photography - C00471EA8
    scrapmetal58 and peter0328 like this.
    05-14-14 01:09 AM
    So it's a breeze for you to differentiate between two similar (almost identical) icons? You do realize that having two similar or nearly identical icons for two separate apps is very poor design, right?
    They are not similar. My point was that if you're able to justify the poor design of the Foursquare icon, then differentiating something as simple as the Remember app should be an utter breeze. Take a look at the picture below.

10.3 Iconography for Windermere-img_20140513_225533.png

Let's say you've never heard of Foursquare before and this is your first time laying eyes on its icon. How does its icon evoke a sense understanding of an application that you check into places? Simply put, it does not. It looks like a golf club hitting a golf ball.

Now look at the Remember icon. You see lined paper and a check mark. What could that possibly try to convey? A list of some sort? A note perhaps? A task even? And guess what? That's exactly what the app does. It's a beautiful icon and makes perfect sense. As I mentioned before, if you have issues understanding what these new icons represent then you shouldn't be using a smartphone.

Wow, just wow. I don't have a misinformed opinion; but you sure have a bloated ego. Do me a favor and don't respond, I don't need to read anymore of the crap you choose to write. As a matter of fact, welcome to my ignore list.

Posted via CB10
    As a matter of fact, you do seem to be misinformed. You clearly think it's okay to change every UI element in an operating system and disregard its iconography. It's as if a sculptor, while chipping away a rendition to a famous figure, decides to change his design halfway through his progress leaving the top half utilizing different techniques than the bottom. Will it appear coherent? The answer is an obvious no. The 10.3 update brings a slew of new enhancements and improvements and a change in UI elements. You can't expect for everything but the application iconography to change. That would be a complete failure with regards to design. Hence why you are misinformed.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 01:16 AM
    ... why are people arguing about icons?

Why do you care?

If it's such an affront to you, then stop using BB10.

Go android, you can put whatever icons you want there. Good for them I say.

But really, I use BlackBerry 10 because I believe it's the current best OS on the market.

I don't care about the damn icons. They can look like pieces of crap.

Give me labeled black boxes for all I care. This focus on the icons is ridiculous.

Everyone is silly, on both sides.

If you like them, cool. If you don't, whatever.

You know what's NOT gonna happen? You're not going to change Blackberry's mind. They're going to do whatever they want, and the only real recourse you have is to vote with your wallet.

I'm amazed that they have listened to their customers as much as they have. It has definitely been for the better.

But if they were looking at this discussion... if I worked at BlackBerry as a software designer, I would quit my job.

All over damn icons.

Hey, here is my opinion, make them all bright neon pink. It will make no one happy. Just like this discussion.

Posted via Z69
    05-14-14 02:57 AM
    It's always so much more easier to criticize right fellas?

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 03:01 AM

Seriously?
    I meant the design of BlackBerry 10. People complained about the boxes around the icons. They are not beautiful at all, in my opinion. I said some of them I couldn't figure out and that was without really trying. The one with sliders on it, for example. Look at how many people hate iOS's design. Just because they did it, doesn't mean it's good. Yes, I know Apple wasn't the first.

Posted via CB10
    peter0328 likes this.
    05-14-14 04:21 AM
95 1234