05-08-14 09:57 PM
66 123
tools
    I would love then option to hide the labels as well sometimes o think the labels nonsense at all !

Posted via My amazing White GalaxyNote3 N9005
    05-08-14 09:26 AM
    With so many changes I keep wondering what it would be like if we ditched the text below the icons. Do we need it? Do we like it? Would it help if someone borrowed our phone and wanted to find the right app or see what we had? Could it make more room for larger icons or more tiles per page?

Generally, I think once I install an app I know what it looks like and can find it.

What's your opinion? I'm not great at photoshop but I would be curious what it might look like.
    The new icons of 10.3 will become very simplified, stylized and (my personal opinion) ugly. Up to now I love the frame/box of the icons which are mostly detailed and homogeneous.
    The new 10.3. iconset looks like rough paintings of kids with finger paint (WTF I need a HD-Display for this splashes of color?!?)

In combination with a missing box/frame and the possibility of apk.files (with complete other icon designs) the homescreen will become (in my opinion) ugly, indifferent and becomes more and more a blackberried Samsung-surface!

I hope the text below the icons will stay alive. In the flood of similar apps with similar functions and icons it seems to be needful to know the exactly name of the app (to recognize them again in the permissions for example). A lot of apps (hidden in folders f.e.) are not in use every day... Im sure a lot of users cant remember exactly every icon of all downloaded apps without verifying them by reading the text. If you have an eidetic memory like Dr. Dr. Sheldonn Lee Cooper its no problem, but most BB-user are older need more support like Penny...
    :-)

Beside this the text will give a REST of consistency in the appearence of all icons.
    05-08-14 09:32 AM
    Not sure that I agree with that. Icons can enhance text without replacing it. Also, international road signs don't have text because they would have to include so many languages. But each phone user only needs to see his/her chosen language, and so icon text can help clarify an ambiguous image.

For my part, I only peripherally glance at the icons themselves - I'm not sure I could even tell you from memory what each one is. But I know the names of my apps, and that's all I need.

The whole point of an icon is to replace text. If you need text, you don't really need an icon. That's why text isn't needed on international road signs. But icons only work if they are part of a generally accepted lexicon, which international road sign and restroom door icons are, but apps mostly aren't.

Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.2234
    05-08-14 09:58 AM
    should be an option. depends upon user choice
    AndreyLepher likes this.
    05-08-14 10:14 AM
    Some people don't like the new calling screen, " hey make it an option "

Some people don't like text under icons ( WTF) " hey make it an option "

Some people don't like the blue theme and want the red, " hey make it an option "

And the list goes on...

True, a phone with customization options is a good one but a phone that has an option for EVERYTHING on it is a MESS!!

Posted via CB10
    ubizmo, spikesolie, ronfc and 1 others like this.
    05-08-14 10:19 AM
    I prefer text icons to pictorial icons so no, I wouldn't want to see the text disappear from the icons.
    05-08-14 11:37 AM
    You could always have no text but if you long press the icon, the name appears before you open it?

Posted with my Z30 on Verizon from Philly
    05-08-14 11:41 AM
    I would lean in the other direction. Get rid of the Icons; go all text! Back 20+ years ago the best piece of software (IMHO) on the Amiga computer was DirectoryOpus. AmigaOS was (and still is) a GUI like we are all familiar with but by using DOpus virtually ALL capabilities of the computer could be launched and accessed and configured from a SINGLE screen. Still the most efficient interface I have ever used on a computer and no phone OS is even close.
    Ragbert likes this.
    05-08-14 01:42 PM
    I would prefer NO text.
    If the icons need an explanation they should rather make better icons...
    My 2 cents

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 05:43 PM
    Exactly...

Stevie Wonder, yeah right!
    05-08-14 05:43 PM
    I like to have options

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 06:59 PM
    Need text

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 08:10 PM
    I've used text-only menus on my PC browsers forever.

I would lean in the other direction. Get rid of the Icons; go all text! Back 20+ years ago the best piece of software (IMHO) on the Amiga computer was DirectoryOpus. AmigaOS was (and still is) a GUI like we are all familiar with but by using DOpus virtually ALL capabilities of the computer could be launched and accessed and configured from a SINGLE screen. Still the most efficient interface I have ever used on a computer and no phone OS is even close.
    Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.2947/2274 Radio
    05-08-14 09:32 PM
    I would say keep the text, change that horrible font and call it a day.
    05-08-14 09:50 PM
    think there should be no text and monochrome icons all the same and vote taking a lucky dip
    05-08-14 09:52 PM
    We definitely need the text if you ask me... especially with icon design moving away from the 3D shapes of what it resembles in the real world to a bunch of flat one colour circle with a white shape inside it..

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-10.2.1.2102
    I agree. We need the text to determine what we're launching. Apps such as Instagram, for example, doesn't say "instagram" in its icon. It'll be tremendously confusing when you first get it

For power users, the guys that have the icons remembered, the text are no longer needed. Kind of how super bar in Windows 7 works: only icons and no text. I thought that it's the worst idea ever, but then realized that the application icon is much more than enough, because my applications all have unique icons

But we still need the text, if only to reduce confusion

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    05-08-14 09:57 PM
66 123